Near Broadway Street at Cypress Street, on the right when traveling west.
George W. Parks, Jr. (1906-1983), lived a life of service to the community. He was instrumental in the creation of Howard Park, the baseball field, and the city swimming pool, but more important than the physical reminders of his works is the impact . . . — — Map (db m80508) HM
On County Road 104 1 mile south of County Road 377-P, on the right when traveling south.
One of first settlers in Roscoe (then called Vista) was rancher-wheat grower W.J. Turner, who purchased cemetery site for burial of his brother-in-law, Joe Cleckler, about 1887. Next interments: infants Frank E. Spires, 1892; Ethel Lena Turner, . . . — — Map (db m80485) HM
On Cypress Street at Broadway Street, on the right when traveling north on Cypress Street.
The Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific Railway was one of the country’s most successful short-line railroads. Chartered on Oct. 1, 1906, by General F.W. James and a group of Abilene businessmen, it ran from Roscoe to Snyder and Fluvanna, though in 1941 the . . . — — Map (db m80509) HM
On Broadway Street at Cypress Street, on the right when traveling west on Broadway Street.
The Bankhead National Highway, from Washington, D.C. to San Diego, California, was the nation’s first all-weather, coast-to-coast highway. The southern road skirted the western mountains and was largely free from ice and snow, so it could be used . . . — — Map (db m80506) HM
On State Highway 70 0.9 miles north of Farm to Market Road 1856, on the right when traveling north.
At 6:05 A.M. on Friday, April 20, 1945, twenty-five Army Air Corps officers and enlisted men left Midland Army Air Field in a C-47 transport plane en route to Berry Army Air Field in Nashville, Tennessee. The flight crew consisted of the pilot, . . . — — Map (db m80486) HM
On West Alabama Avenue 0.1 miles west of Robert Lee Street, on the right when traveling west.
The oldest marked grave in this public burial ground is that of an infant, Purl Ray Scott, who died in 1880. It predates the founding of the town of Sweetwater on the Texas and Pacific Railroad by one year. Handcrafted tombstones and wrought iron . . . — — Map (db m88706) HM
On Sam Houston Street at West Texas Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Sam Houston Street.
Rancher and banker Thomas Trammell (1848-1919) was called the "Father of Sweetwater." He hired noted California architect John Young to design this house. Trammell, who helped bring railroads to Sweetwater, knew of Young's design work for the Santa . . . — — Map (db m88708) HM
On Avenger Field Road (Loop State Highway 170) at Frontage U.S. 20 Frontage Road, on the right when traveling north on Avenger Field Road.
Women's Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) trained here in military aircraft during World War II, from Feb. 21, 1943, through final graduation day, Dec. 7, 1944.
Avenger Field first served as a training base for British Royal Air Force Cadets . . . — — Map (db m88709) HM
Jacqueline Cochran, one to the most famous women pilots of the twentieth century, persistently lobbied U.S. Army Airforce General Henry "Hap" Arnold to establish a flight training program for women during World War II. Hard-pressed for pilots . . . — — Map (db m88710) HM