Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Parmer County Texas Historical Markers

 
Bovina Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, May 3, 2012
Bovina Marker
Texas (Parmer County), Bovina — 471 — Bovina(Elevation: 4070 feet)
Early in the 20th century, this was one of largest cattle shipping points in the United States. Originated as the Hay Hook Line Camp of the XIT — famed ranch that received over 3,000,000 acres of land in payment for building Texas State . . . — Map (db m56080) HM
Texas (Parmer County), Bovina — 13303 — Bovina Cemetery
Prior to the founding of the city of Bovina, the XIT Ranch located its southern headquarters in this vicinity. The Pecos and Northern Texas Railway built through the ranch in 1898, and the settlement became known as Bull Town because of cattle . . . — Map (db m91114) HM
Texas (Parmer County), Bovina — 472 — Bovina United Methodist Church
The town of Bovina was organized in the early 20th century in the heart of the "XIT" Ranch on the Pecos Valley Railway. Soon after its establishment, a Methodist church was founded with nine charter members. The Rev. V. H. Trammell, who served as . . . — Map (db m91113) HM
Texas (Parmer County), Farwell — 1575 — Farwell, Texas
Named for John V. Farwell and C. B. Farwell. Builders of the Texas Capitol, 1882-1888, in exchange for three million acres of state land. Founders of the XIT Ranch, 1885. — Map (db m73699) HM
Texas (Parmer County), Farwell — 2563 — Hopping-Aldridge House
Construction on this home began in 1917, soon after the property was purchased by R. C. Hopping. Hopping, who earlier had served as Parmer County commissioner and sheriff, sold the property to James and Minnie Aldridge before the home was completed. . . . — Map (db m73702) HM
Texas (Parmer County), Farwell — 3562 — Near Route of the Coronado Expedition
One of first explorations of North America by Spain. The Coronado Expedition began in Mexico in April of 1540 and crossed into Texas at or near present-day Parmer County. The party, led by Francisco Vázquez de Coronado, was sent to investigate . . . — Map (db m73701) HM
Texas (Parmer County), Farwell — 3946 — Parmer County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created August 21, 1876 Organized May 7, 1907 Named in honor of Martin Parmer Came to Texas in 1825 and located at Mound Prairie. A leader in the Fredonian War in 1826. Signer of the . . . — Map (db m73700) HM
Texas (Parmer County), Friona — 15970 — Black Community
In 1898, the Santa Fe Railroad came through here and associated buildings were constructed in what would become the Black Community. Named for land speculator E.B. Black, the community was further settled beginning in 1908, when the Wright Land . . . — Map (db m56072) HM
Texas (Parmer County), Friona — 2067 — Friona
When established by the XIT Ranch in 1898, this community was originally called Frio, after Frio (Cold) Draw, and it served as a shipping point on the recently built Pecos & Northern Texas Railroad. In 1906, the George G. Wright Land Co. took . . . — Map (db m56075) HM
Texas (Parmer County), Friona — 13615 — Friona Schools
Friona has the distinction of being the first town in Texas to integrate its schools. The first school opened on this site in 1908 in a one-room frame building, with Roxie Witherspoon teaching 18 pupils. A two-story brick school finished in 1911 . . . — Map (db m56076) HM
Texas (Parmer County), Friona — 13217 — Friona Women's Clubs
By 1898, Friona and several other area townsites had been laid out as switches on the Pecos Valley & Northern Texas Railroad. Settlers soon began arriving in Friona, which incorporated in 1906. Twenty Friona women organized a club in September 1909, . . . — Map (db m56074) HM
Texas (Parmer County), Friona — 4784 — Site of First Church in City of Friona
The city of Friona was founded in 1906 by George G. Wright Land Co., of Kansas City, an agency employed by the XIT Ranch owners to sell their range lands in small tracts. Religious-minded settlers in 1908 organized the Union Congregational Church. . . . — Map (db m56077) HM
Texas (Parmer County), Friona — 4871 — Site of Parmerton(Elevation 4,202 feet)
Founded as Parmer Switch on Pecos & Northern Texas Railroad in 1898. In 1906 became site of a model farm. Using Campbell dry farming method, run by Capitol Freehold Land & Investment Co. In 1907, Parmerton Townsite Co. bought 200 acres of the . . . — Map (db m56078) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement