Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Pecos County Texas Historical Markers

 
Fort Stockton C.S.A. image, Touch for more information
By Zacharias Beau T, December 29, 2010
Fort Stockton C.S.A.
Texas (Pecos County), Fort Stockton — 2023 — Fort Stockton CSA
(Front): After Federal evacuation at start of Civil War, occupied by 2nd Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles. On far western frontier defense line. Supply post for troops going to and from Arizona-New Mexico campaign 1861-1862, designed to make . . . — Map (db m63592) HM WM
Texas (Pecos County), Fort Stockton — 2021 — Fort Stockton Guard House
Founded in 1859, Fort Stockton was abandoned during the Civil War and reestablished in 1867, when this guard house was built. Stone for the structure was quarried locally. The lumber was hauled from Indianola by oxcart. The Guard House consisted of . . . — Map (db m56547) HM
Texas (Pecos County), Fort Stockton — 2022 — Fort Stockton Officers' Quarters
When Fort Stockton was rebuilt in 1867 to protect the route to El Paso, seven homes were erected for officers' families. Built with rock foundations and thick adobe walls, the structures faced the parade ground. Nearby were located corrals, carriage . . . — Map (db m81871) HM
Texas (Pecos County), Fort Stockton — 3731 — Old Fort Cemetery
Burial ground for soldiers stationed at Fort Stockton and for civilians in the little town that grew up around the post. The fort was established 1859; temporarily closed 1861-1867. Troops here protected the San Antonio-San Diego mail line and . . . — Map (db m82348) HM
Texas (Pecos County), Fort Stockton — 4757 — Site of Comanche Springs
Used as a watering place and camping ground by Indians since pre-Columbian times, the springs were possibly visited about 1536 by Spaniard Cabeza de Vaca on his wanderings through Texas. The expedition of Juan de Mendoza, with his party of Spaniards . . . — Map (db m73285) HM
Texas (Pecos County), Fort Stockton — 4798 — Site of Fort Stockton
Established on the Comanche Trail, March 23, 1859, as a protection to the San Antonio-San Diego mail route. Named in honor of Commodore Robert Field Stockton, 1795-1866, who captured California for the United States. A stage stand on the San Diego . . . — Map (db m84320) HM
Texas (Pecos County), Fort Stockton — 4488 — St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
Originally constructed at Pecos (54 mi. NW) in 1896, this building served the congregation of St. Mark's Episcopal Church. In 1958 it was sold to members of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church of Fort Stockton and moved to this site. Located on property . . . — Map (db m80279) HM
Texas (Pecos County), Fort Stockton — Tunis Creek Stage Coach Stop
Replica of San Antonio and San Diego overland stage coach stop. This building was constructed of the stone from the original site which is ½ mile south-east of this location near Tunis Springs. The remains of a large Comanche Indian camp still . . . — Map (db m73308) HM
Texas (Pecos County), Girvin — 2564 — Horse Head Crossing on the Pecos River
Here crossed the undated Comanche Trail from Llano Estacado to Mexico. In 1850 John R. Bartlett while surveying the Mexican boundary found the crossing marked by skulls of horses; hence the name “Horse Head”. The Southern Overland Mail . . . — Map (db m53225) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement