One of the earliest settlers of this area was Henry Wells (1850-1923), who first came to the Nueces Canyon in 1866. He founded the town of Bullhead in 1873. The name was changed to Vance in the mid-1880s.
In 1875 a guest in the home of the . . . — — Map (db m24485) HM
Established May 20, 1857, as a means of preventing Indian raids on the San Antonio—El Paso route and the Rio Grande Valley • Abandoned March 15th, 1861, when Federal troops were withdrawn from Texas. — — Map (db m24382) HM
On April 19, 1881, Catherine "Kate" Ringer McLaurin (Sometimes McLauren) was with her three small children and 14-year old Allen Lease in the garden when a band of Lipan Apaches started to plunder her home. Lease, thinking there were pigs in the . . . — — Map (db m24376) HM