Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Robertson County Texas Historical Markers

 
El Camino Real Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, January 26, 2019
El Camino Real Marker
Texas (Robertson County), Benchley — 10908 — El Camino Real Also known as Old San Antonio Road and Old Spanish Trail
A trail of adventure, hardships, opportunity and freedom, over which history stalked into Texas. To the Spanish, El Camino Real was a road traveled for the king – to colonize, Christianize, seek adventure or look for riches. This road became . . . — Map (db m129294) HM
Texas (Robertson County), Benchley — 10948 — Staggers Point About a Mile to the North was the Old Irish Settlement of
Earliest large community in Robertson's Colony. Settled by Irishmen who came to America in 1821; lived in South Carolina and then in Alabama; and in 1829 sent west an emissary, Robert Henry, to find a permanent location. In 1833, their ox-wagon . . . — Map (db m129295) HM
Texas (Robertson County), Franklin — 10924 — Franklin
This community was established in 1872 and named Morgan for a railroad official. Located on the right-of-way of the International Railway Company, the town contained a depot and three stores in its first year. By 1879, the town had 200 residents and . . . — Map (db m129299) HM
Texas (Robertson County), Franklin — 10925 — Franklin Carnegie Library
The city of Franklin housed a library of 1,000 volumes in its City Hall before 1913. In February that year, Franklin Mayor R. M. Cole (1848-1931) applied to the Carnegie Corporation of New York for funds to build a new library. The Carnegie . . . — Map (db m119605) HM
Texas (Robertson County), Franklin — 18765 — Old Franklin
After the Texas Revolution, Robertson County covered a vast area of 12.8 million acres from the Brazos River eastward to the Trinity River and northwest to the Cross Timbers. Situated at the southern edge of Robertson County, Franklin (later Old . . . — Map (db m129298) HM
Texas (Robertson County), Franklin — 16082 — Robertson County
Settled by people from Tennessee under an 1822 contract held by Sterling Clack Robertson (1785-1842), who later signed the Texas Declaration of Independence. Colony and county were named for him. County was created Dec. 14, 1837, organized March . . . — Map (db m119604) HM
Texas (Robertson County), Franklin — 10943 — Robertson County Courthouse
Erected in 1882 at a cost of $30,000, this white limestone building is the fourth to serve as Robertson County Courthouse. In 1879 the county seat had been moved for the fifth time, to Morgan, on the International & Great Northern Railroad. But . . . — Map (db m119606) HM
Texas (Robertson County), Hearne — 14755 — Camp Hearne World War II Prisoner of War Camp
During the Second World War, Allied troops captured large numbers of Axis soldiers and transported them to prisoner of war camps established throughout the United States. More than 70 camps in Texas housed some 50,000 prisoners. In March 1942, Herne . . . — Map (db m84665) HM
Texas (Robertson County), New Baden — 11754 — New Baden
Founded by German, Prussian, and Swiss immigrants in 1881, New Baden was named for the German town of Baden-Baden. The immigrants built a central building known as the Colony House to provide lodging for families while homes were under construction. . . . — Map (db m119603) HM
Texas (Robertson County), Wheelock — 10956 — Wheelock
Founded in 1833 by Colonel E. L. R. Wheelock, soldier, lawyer and educator. One of the organizers of Robertson's Colony. Captain of Texas Rangers. Died in Edwardsville, Ill, in 1846 while visiting the place of his birth. — Map (db m129296) HM
Texas (Robertson County), Wheelock — 11756 — Wheelock
Eleazar Louis Ripley Wheelock (1793-1847) came to Texas from Illinois in 1830. A surveyor for Robertson's Colony, he established a town on his land along the Old San Antonio Road. Named Wheelock in 1837, the town boasted twenty businesses by the . . . — Map (db m129297) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement