Morgan Jones (1840-1926), a Welsh-born railroad builder, and his nephews Morgan C. (1876-1964) and Percy Jones (1885-1951) built the Abilene & Southern Rail Line in 1909 between Abilene and Ballinger. This stone structure was finished soon after the . . . — — Map (db m95923) HM
Originally called Hutchins City. Promoted by Santa Fe Rwy. Named for Judge William Pitt Ballinger (1825-1888), railroad attorney and townsite official. Distinguished Texas statesman, veteran of the Mexican War. In the Civil War helped establish . . . — — Map (db m61476) HM
This native limestone library was built in 1909-11 with funds from New York industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Local banker Jo Wilmeth donated the land and the Rev. J. D. Leslie, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, served as . . . — — Map (db m72229) HM
(1896-1917) Charles H. Noyes, 21, died when his horse fell while rounding up cattle on the Noyes' ranch. His father and mother, Gus and Lula Noyes, erected monument in 1919 as a tribute to their son and all Texas cowboys.
Pompeo Coppini of . . . — — Map (db m64007) HM
Used in 1880s for travel on Ballinger–San Angelo Road. Rates fixed by the county court ranged from one cent for a head of livestock to one dollar for 6 horses and a wagon.
Ferry was in use until building of first cedar and pine wood . . . — — Map (db m95194) HM
On July 26, 1886, soon after the railroad town of Ballinger was founded, a Presbyterian church with nine charter members was organized at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.R. Burt. A small frame sanctuary served the congregation until this structure was . . . — — Map (db m95195) HM
Pioneer Texas cattleman and law officer. Reared in Denton County, he joined brother-in-law in ranching, 1883–1886.They moved to “Free Grass” county of Presidio and ran Chalk Valley Ranch. Sometimes had to drive cattle 50 miles to . . . — — Map (db m116223) HM
County's first permanent settlement. Founded 1862 by Wm. Guest and Richard Coffey families, and R. K. and Henry Wylie. They built Picket houses and resided here 4 years. They also erected Picket corrals, later used by trail drivers John and . . . — — Map (db m72286) HM
Formed from Bexar and Travis
Created February 1, 1858
Organized February 16, 1880
Named in honor of
Hiram G. Runnels
1796 - 1857
Lawyer and Governor of Mississippi
Member of the Texas Legislature
County Seat, Runnels . . . — — Map (db m72285) HM
Constructed here, 1888-89, after hotly contested battle with Runnels City for county seat. (County had been organized 1880.)
Structure stands on one of largest courthouse squares in Texas – 2 city blocks. Plot set aside prior to townlot . . . — — Map (db m72233) HM
This memorial monument area is dedicated this date, Nov. 11, 1994, to the men and women of Runnels County who served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America, especially to those who so gallantly gave their lives to make this a free . . . — — Map (db m72232) HM
The first mission known to have been established in Texas east of the Pecos River, San Clemente was a hastily built, two-room structure located on a hill about 17 mi. S. of present Ballinger. (Some historians place the site farther south, near . . . — — Map (db m96034) HM
Early Roman Catholic worship services in Ballinger were held by missionaries in a church building constructed in 1895. In 1910, during the pastorate of the Rev. J.B. Frigon, this building was completed to serve the congregation. Constructed of . . . — — Map (db m95196) HM
Born in Tennessee, Adams as a youth came to Texas with his father. A firm believer in the Confederate cause, he served at Galveston during the Civil War.
He helped organize Runnels County; was first county judge, 1880-1884; also served . . . — — Map (db m95238) HM
In a small grove of trees beside a deep spring-fed pool known as China Mott, the Methodists of Miles built a tabernacle of willow and brush in 1891, shortly after the birth of Miles itself. Brother Smith, a circuit rider from Navarro County, was . . . — — Map (db m95952) HM
Built 1904 by Joe Thiele (1850-1940), sheep rancher and civic leader. Native stone used here was dug at Willow Creek (2 mi. W).
First floor housed Runnels County National Bank; upstairs was Miles Opera House–social and cultural center of . . . — — Map (db m95951) HM
Founded in the 1870’s. Named for Samuel A. Maverick (1803-1870), who came to Texas 1835. Fought in the Texas War for Independence. In Secession Convention, 1861, he was made one of the commissioners to negotiate surrender of United States troops in . . . — — Map (db m95277) HM
Named for George W. Norton of Kentucky, who about 1882 bought and later developed the divide between Oak and Valley creeks. Post office, established in 1894, was at first in home (1.5 mi. NE) of postmaster Marion A. Wilkerson. This facility and a . . . — — Map (db m82408) HM
Settlement of this area of Runnels County began at the end of the 19th century. Attracted by the good climate and farmland, Charlie Black (1868-1946) arrived in the area in 1899. Another early settler was Walter Gentry, and when a post office was . . . — — Map (db m82409) HM
Born in Georgia. With his parents came to Texas 1857. He and a brother, John, were Texas Rangers – W.H. “Billy” serving June-December 1874.
Billy Brown was the last man killed by Indians in Runnels County, in a fight to . . . — — Map (db m95278) HM
In 1884, when most of Runnels County was range for livestock, R.F. Counts (1838-1892) planted an experimental cotton field near this site. His success encouraged other area farmers, who raised 88 bales in 1888. First cotton gin in the nearby town of . . . — — Map (db m78283) HM
Earliest known interment was that of a child, Mary Louisa Hale, on Nov. 30, 1880. In Jan. 1884, Andy and Christian Fannin sold 4 acres to M.C. Bright, J.M. Carter, R.F. Counts, John A. Chambers, J.M. Givens, D.W. and William Hale, Alf. A. Hanscomb, . . . — — Map (db m79245) HM
Named because of contentment of this valley. Founded 1881 by Dan W. Hale. Michael C. Bright, 1882 settler, early county commissioner, had a general store at this site. Family worked for progress of the area. Renamed “Tokeen”, town . . . — — Map (db m79243) HM
One-half mile east of here, some twenty-five to thirty Texas Rangers of Company E were stationed in 1874, under the command of Capt. W.J. “Jeff” Maltby. They kept sentries posted on nearby “Ranger Peak” to guard against . . . — — Map (db m78285) HM
Named for Company E, Texas Rangers, which was stationed ½ mile east of peak in 1874. Atop peak, Rangers (under Capt. W.J. “Jeff” Maltby) kept a lookout for Indians. Outfit was part of the Frontier Battalion, organized to protect . . . — — Map (db m78284) HM
Rowena was originally laid out by Paul J. Baron in 1897. A Santa Fe Railroad section house known as Rowena Station had been established in the area in 1888; however, the post office officially denied this name as it too much resembled Ravenna in . . . — — Map (db m108601) HM
Organized in 1904 as Rowena Chapter of the Sons of Hermann, worldwide benevolent fraternal organization.
Named for German national hero and tribal leader Hermann the Defender (18 B.C. - 19 A.D.), who helped break Roman power east of the Rhine . . . — — Map (db m96031) HM
On May 2, 1904, eighteen charter members organized SPJST Lodge No. 49 in Runnels County. Founded just eight years after the SPJST’s organization, Lodge No. 49 continued the Czech-Texan benevolent society’s goals of promoting fellowship and Czech . . . — — Map (db m96032) HM
The need for education in this rural area was met in 1902, when a two-room school was started on Emil Helm’s farm (1.5 mi. NW). The name “Sweet Home” was chosen by Henry Kriegel, one of the first trustees. In 1922 the school was moved to . . . — — Map (db m96033) HM
Founded about 1899. Named for Wm. M. Pumphrey (1849-1937), early settler. A deacon of the Baptist Church, he would put his organ in a wagon on weekends and take it, his wife and 11 children to attend services in Wingate.
In 1900, as the . . . — — Map (db m81912) HM
Mazeland (2½ mi. SW) was founded in 1903 when a post office and store opened on A.B. Hutchinson’s ranch. Community was probably named for the corn or “maize” which grows in the area. A one-room school, built 1 mi. W. (1904), later . . . — — Map (db m81913) HM
Named for Gap in Table Mountain. Established Feb. 14, 1878; post office transferred in 1882 to the town of Content 2 miles north. The one-room structure has hand-hewn cedar rafters, cedar shingle roof, and walls of roughly-hewn oak logs. Also served . . . — — Map (db m77996) HM
Mass production of the automobile ushered in an era of business expansion and increased mobility. Food stands and booths quickly appeared along roadways for hungry motorists. These stands eventually evolved into the drive-in, complete with curb . . . — — Map (db m104061) HM
Settled in 1880's. Named for C.R. Crews, Ballinger businessman. Mrs. Betty Sims was earliest voluntary teacher–mail carrier. School was built 1890 (with the Rev. Mr. Lockhart, first teacher). Post office established 1892 in Wise & Broughten . . . — — Map (db m79248) HM
Originally called County Line. Name changed when general store owner R.O. Kerr applied for a post office and was granted one under name Drasco on Dec. 16, 1904. (Post office site is across street, south.) Kerr was postmaster until 1909.
First . . . — — Map (db m81910) HM
First local industrial plant. Processed cottonseed into cake, meal, hulls, oil. Gave city good payroll, a work whistle marking times of day, and a good aroma.
Built 1909-10 by Bird, Hall & Mertz, of San Angelo. Stone for millhouse was . . . — — Map (db m82479) HM
Named in honor of William Wyatt Poe, who came to Texas from his native Alabama in late 1870. Married Jerusha Evaline Cline in 1885; had ten children.
Moved family to Runnels County, 1904. Gave land for school and church buildings. Was school . . . — — Map (db m77945) HM
Born in Emory, Texas, youngest son of William and Nancy Cooke.
Attended Waco College (now Baylor University); medical school in Kentucky, received degree, 1886.
Began practice, Kentuckytown. Moved to Winters area in 1889. Became town’s . . . — — Map (db m82478) HM
This two-story native stone commercial structure was built by Mr. and Mrs. J.L. Heath, who operated a local mercantile in partnership with Ira Beard. Constructed to accommodate early travelers and workers on the railroad, the Rock Hotel was . . . — — Map (db m95281) HM
Fritz Armbrecht, accompanied by his friend August Spill, Sr., was reportedly the first Lutheran to arrive in this area. The men came from Comal County in the 1880s and bought property, bringing their families here in 1890. Armbrecht’s land included . . . — — Map (db m95280) HM
From its beginning as a west central Texas frontier community Winters grew from a retail support center for the surrounding agricultural community to a small-town railroad link to an oil, gas and manufacturing center. Settlement of the area of . . . — — Map (db m82443) HM
Focus of social life during Winters’ early years, the band played throughout the area for box suppers, old settlers reunions, and political campaigns. Charles Grant organized the group in 1901 (sever years after the town was incorporated) and . . . — — Map (db m82477) HM
In the fall of 1928, a Future Farmers Club was organized with 30 members of the vocational agriculture class at Winters High School. The same year, a national Future Farmers of America (FFA) Club was started in Kansas City, Mo. On April 10, 1930, . . . — — Map (db m95279) HM
Founded in upper room of schoolhouse ten years before Winters became a town. Chartered Dec. 7, 1892. First officers: J.T. Brown, Worshipful Master; Ervin Brown, Senior Warden; W.S. Mullin, Junior Warden.
After a 1910 fire, lodge moved to . . . — — Map (db m82444) HM
Founded on January 4, 1954
by Miss Myra Glover
Dedicated on October 13, 1963
Because she has given so generously of herself for the benefit of all,
the Citizens of Winters, Texas,
dedicate this library to Miss Myra Glover . . . — — Map (db m71705) HM
Founded 1906 by John Q. McAdams, who served 17 years as cashier, and since as president. Original capitalization was $15,000.
First located immediately south; moved to this site 1909.
Bought Farmers & Merchants State Bank, 1913; First . . . — — Map (db m82445) HM