Built to north, on land given, 1848, by Mr. and Mrs. F. H. Rankin, from an Austin Colony grant.
Moved 1917 to new site. Bell over 100 years old.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964 — — Map (db m118982) HM
Formally organized in 1848 in the small community known as "Fireman's Hill" (formerly "Coonskin"), Laurel Hill Baptist Church began with four members and the Rev. Joseph Warner Dossey Creath as its first pastor. The Rev. Mr. Creath came to Texas as . . . — — Map (db m118984) HM
Born in Georgia and married there in 1837 to Martha Evans Gindrat (1809-63), a widow with 3 children, George T. Wood came to Texas with his family in 1839 and settled along the Trinity River near Point Blank. Wood studied law and was elected to the . . . — — Map (db m118970) HM
Built 1870. First structure moved to new Coldsprings after fire destroyed first courthouse, 1915. A new town site was selected. The San Jacinto County Abstract Co. was housed in this building many years. County's first telephone was installed here. . . . — — Map (db m128921) HM
Chartered by the Grand Lodge of Texas on January 15, 1848, this lodge first convened in the Mount Pleasant settlement. Early meetings were held at Fireman's Hill in a schoolhouse owned by Henry Gillette. That building was moved to Coldspring in . . . — — Map (db m118985) HM
Approved by the Commissioners Court in 1886 and completed the following year, this structure served as the San Jacinto County jail until 1980. Interior space included second floor cells and jailer's living quarters on the ground floor. Victorian . . . — — Map (db m97055) HM
Eighteenth century Spanish explorers gave to the hyacinth-choked stream the name of Saint Hyacinth. Anglo-Americans settled here after 1820. Formed from portions of Polk, Montgomery, Liberty and Walker counties. Created January 5, 1869; recreated . . . — — Map (db m118972) HM
A fire in 1915 destroyed the San Jacinto County courthouse. Landowners donated land at this site and relocated the center of county government to "new town" Coldspring. The county hired builders Price and Williamson to construct the new courthouse . . . — — Map (db m118971) HM
Noted for rare but never used hangman's trap. Second jail for San Jacinto County which was organized 1871, this structure was built in 1887 by L.T. Noyes of Houston. Later, the Southern Structural Steel Company of San Antonio installed cells and the . . . — — Map (db m96709) HM
Before founding of town, this land lay in Mexican grant made to Col. Robt. Rankin, veteran of American Revolution. Post office here bore name "Coonskin" (1847), then "Fireman's Hill," and finally "Cold Springs" (1850). Spelling later became . . . — — Map (db m118969) HM
Early center of culture for this part of Texas. Settled 1835-1850s, mainly by people from Alabama. Community was named for the Waverley novels of Sir Walter Scott, then very popular.
To provide education equal to any, Waverly Institute was . . . — — Map (db m118946) HM
Born in Georgia, where he fought in Indian Wars, was a merchant, and member of State Legislature. In 1839, he moved with family to Texas, settling in this area. He was a member of 6th Congress of the Republic of Texas, 1841-1842; a delegate to the . . . — — Map (db m128922) HM