As population increased in south central San Patricio County in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, independent schools were established in a number of communities, serving students in isolated areas before the construction of a good road system . . . — — Map (db m32378) HM
Meansville (3 miles southeast) Col. William Marshall Means, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto, came to San Patricio County with his family in the 1850s and settled southeast of present Odem. Means was county sheriff from 1862 to 1867. The . . . — — Map (db m32865) HM
Native American tribes occupied land in this vicinity before Spanish explorers claimed the region in the 18th Century. Anglo American settlers began arriving in the area in the 1830s, and in 1856 brothers, Frank and Eddie White purchased land here . . . — — Map (db m32362) HM
Formed by a group of thirty-three women on Valentine's Day, 1921, the Chat Work Club derived its name from the members' practice of working on sewing projects while conversing with each other. In 1925, they began raising funds for a Portland public . . . — — Map (db m95360) HM
In the early morning hours of Sunday, September 14, 199, a hurricane made landfall in Corpus Christi after gathering strength in the Gulf of Mexico for two weeks. Crowds packed the North Beach area for their last weekend of the summer season, most . . . — — Map (db m80593) HM
Education in San Patricio began in 1830 on this site in the picket cabin of Catherine Hoy. In 1876 Saint Joseph's Convent was erected here. The Sisters of Mercy, having left Indianola after the Hurricane of 1875, came to run the Mother House and . . . — — Map (db m77425) HM
Location of noted St. Paul's Academy for Boys. Home of school owner Robert Dougherty (1827-1881), a refugee from 1840s Irish famine.
Educated at St. Mary's College, Kentucky, Dougherty worked as a journalist and merchant before settling in . . . — — Map (db m77422) HM
Empresarios John McMullen and James McGloin brought Irish Catholic immigrant families to Texas about 1829 to form a new colony, San Patricio de Hibernia. Under the direction of the Rev. Henry Doyle, the colonists established Saint Patrick's Catholic . . . — — Map (db m77516) HM
Founded in 1830 by John McMullen and James McGloin as the seat of their Irish colony under an empressario contract dated August 17, 1828 which was fulfilled by the empresarios 1830-1835.
Named in honor of Saint Patrick the Patron Saint of . . . — — Map (db m77532) HM
The Sinton townsite company was organized in 1894 to promote the development of the new railroad town of Sinton. Local merchant David Odem, one of the founders of the townsite company, established himself as a prominent landowner and businessman in . . . — — Map (db m75588) HM
The Coleman-Fulton Pasture Company laid out the town of Taft on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad line in 1900. The intention of the company directors was to present Taft and surrounding farms as a model community to attract northern . . . — — Map (db m32927) HM