Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Schleicher County Texas Historical Markers

 
Christopher Columbus Doty Marker image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, May 27, 2017
Christopher Columbus Doty Marker
Texas (Schleicher County), Eldorado — 610 — Christopher Columbus Doty (April 16, 1857 - October 26, 1944)
First permanent citizen of Schleicher County. Came to Texas from Missouri, 1879. Soon bought headquarters at Ten-Mile Water Hole (1/2 mi. east). Drilled first water well in county 1882 and erected first windmill south of Concho River, thus . . . — Map (db m104053) HM
Texas (Schleicher County), Eldorado — 4405 — Schleicher County
Formed from Crockett County. Created April 1, 1887. Organized July 9, 1901. Named in honor of Gustav Schleicher, 1823-1879. Pioneer German settler, member of the Texs Legislature, member of the United States Congress. County seat, El Dorado. First . . . — Map (db m104051) HM
Texas (Schleicher County), Eldorado — 4418 — Site of Mark Fury Ranch Stage Stand
Originally part of the Mark Fury Ranch, this site was used as a stagecoach stop from 1894 to 1909. Theodore Jackson Savell (1872-1954) owned and operated the line between San Angelo and Sonora. Six mornings each week a horn was blown to announce the . . . — Map (db m104057) HM
Texas (Schleicher County), Eldorado — 4411 — Site of Verand
The first town in Schleicher County, Verand was established about 1890 near the headquarters of the Vermont Ranch. Although short-lived, the town, platted in 86 lots, incuded a stagecoach station, post office, store, and hotel, as well as homes for . . . — Map (db m104056) HM

4 markers matched your search criteria.  
  
 
Paid Advertisement