Held on this spot April 4, 1964, to honor Texans who made up the greater part of forces fighting in the Civil War Red River Campaign of 1864–1865, that prevented a Federal invasion of Texas.
Descendants answering to roll call for soldiers . . . — — Map (db m110999) HM
John Joseph Emmett (J.J.E.) Gibson was born in Dublin, Ireland. Because of an illness, he was left behind with an aunt when his family immigrated to the United States about 1851. Gibson reportedly studied architecture in Dublin, and finally joined . . . — — Map (db m110998) HM
John Moosberg was born in Fort Worth in 1899. He received his education at Texas A&M University and moved to Shelby County in 1936 to serve as county agent. His tenure as county agent began with Moosberg realizing that Shelby County was losing . . . — — Map (db m111093) HM
Born in Tenaha, Texas, January 4, 1910 to Luke and Pauline Motley Sr.
Moved to Center, Texas in 1937 to begin his banking career at Farmers State Bank serving as President 38 years and as Shelby County’s banker a total of 61 years.
He was one . . . — — Map (db m111106) HM
Malcolm Samuel Weaver was born June 5, 1918 in Center, Texas.
He served as an officer in the Army Corps of Engineers, World War II, where he met his wife, Constance Mary Stanley.
Malcolm built custom homes and poultry houses throughout East . . . — — Map (db m111094) HM
Martin M. Middleton, son of Drue and Maggie Middleton, was a lifelong resident of Shelby County. He married Shirley Faye Booth in July 1941, five months before the war started in December of that year. Soon after serving his country in the United . . . — — Map (db m111083) HM
Marion Martin Weaver, Jr. was a driving force in the broiler, timber, and commercial/residential construction industries, building over 2,000 poultry houses across East Texas and Western Louisiana.
As a proud lifelong resident of Center and an . . . — — Map (db m111086) HM
In 1948, the farming income of Shelby County was disappearing due to competitive prices on cotton from West Texas and on tomatoes and watermelons from South Texas. To survive, it was imperative that the county and its farmers find an alternative . . . — — Map (db m111079) HM
Part of the neutral ground, 1803–1819. Settled by Anglo-Americans, 1824–1836. In 1833 a district of the Municipality of Nacogdoches, known as Tenehaw. In 1835 became municipality of Tenehaw with Nashville as the seat of government. . . . — — Map (db m111000) HM
Built to resemble Irish castle (1883-1885) by architect J.J.E. Gibson, from Ireland. Style is, in part, “Romanesque Revival.”
In 1866 County records were held at this site after being secretly taken from Shelbyville by R.L. . . . — — Map (db m111028) HM