Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Stephens County Texas Historical Markers

 
B. T. Brown House Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kayla Harper, February 3, 2019
B. T. Brown House Marker
Texas (Stephens County), Breckenridge — 257 — B.T. Brown House
One of the oldest structures in Breckenridge, this ranch house was erected by Benjamin Tarver Brown (1831-1905), a Confederate Army Captain who came to Stephens County in 1866. He built this house in 1876, the year Breckenridge was founded as county . . . — Map (db m129612) HM
Texas (Stephens County), Breckenridge — Breckenridge Stephens Walker
Breckenridge "Breck" Stephens Walker (1877-1929) was born to E.L. and Molena Jane Yancy Walker in Stephens County and named for the town and county of his birth. With his brother B.B., Walker operated a livery and a stage that ran between . . . — Map (db m129605) HM
Texas (Stephens County), Breckenridge — 653 — Camp Breckenridge CSA 1861-1865 —
Established near this site 1862. Part Confederate frontier defense line from Red River to Rio Grande. Occupied by company of Texas Frontier Regiment. Posts were day's horseback ride apart and area patrolled regularly. Duties included curbing Indian . . . — Map (db m44617) HM
Texas (Stephens County), Breckenridge — 12199 — First Baptist Church of Breckenridge
Believed to have been organized in 1876, the first Baptist church met in members' homes, local church buildings and the county courthouse with the Rev. C.C. Slaughter as their first minister. In 1895 the members erected a wood building on this site . . . — Map (db m129610) HM
Texas (Stephens County), Breckenridge — Half-Way Oak
The Half-Way Oak has been a popular rest stop providing shade and comfort for those traveling on foot, horseback, wagons and automobiles for 200 years. The live oak tree got its name from its location half-way between Breckenridge and the towns of . . . — Map (db m129672)
Texas (Stephens County), Breckenridge — 5111 — Stephens County Courthouse
This ornate doorway was main entrance of the three-story red sandstone courthouse built here in 1883. Carved into these columns are the names of Architect J.E. Flanders, County Judge E.L. Walker, and three of four commissioners. The fourth was . . . — Map (db m129673) HM
Texas (Stephens County), Breckenridge — Stephens County Courthouse
Stephens County's first courthouse, erected in 1872, was a small pine building with desks for county officials lining the walls. In 1883, a new three-story red stone courthouse with a tower replaced the original structure.

Discovery of oil in . . . — Map (db m129715) HM

Texas (Stephens County), Breckenridge — Walter Prescott Webb's Formative Years
Noted historian Walter Prescott Webb (1888-1963) came with his family to Stephens County at the age of four. Over the next seventeen years, Webb received an education in frontier life that formed the basis of his intellectual development and his . . . — Map (db m129758) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement