Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Stonewall County Texas Historical Markers

 
"Our Lady of Justice" at the 1983 Stonewall County Courthouse image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, June 7, 2016
"Our Lady of Justice" at the 1983 Stonewall County Courthouse
Texas (Stonewall County), Aspermont — "Our Lady of Justice"
Near S. Broadway Street (U.S. 83) north of W. 6th Street, on the left when traveling north.
“Our Lady of Justice” graced the Stonewall County Courthouse from its beginning in 1911, until she was removed from the top of the dome in 1954 and placed on a base where she stood until a new courthouse was erected in 1983.      In . . . — Map (db m95098) HM
Texas (Stonewall County), Aspermont — 1086 — County Named for Confederate Hero / Texas in the Civil War
Near S. Broadway Street (U.S. 83) south of W. 4th Street, on the right when traveling south.
(Front Side) County Named for Confederate Hero General "Stonewall" Jackson 1824 - 1863 Gen. Barnard E. Bee, a Texan, gave him the famous sobriquet in first Battle of Manassas. Jackson was rallying his men for a charge as . . . — Map (db m95094) HM
Texas (Stonewall County), Aspermont — 4203 — Rath City — (4 mi. SW)
Near U.S. 83 2.5 miles south of County Road 476/107, on the left when traveling south.
In 1876 during an international demand for buffalo hides, Charles Rath (1836-1902) founded this town. He opened the Rath, Lee & Reynolds mercantile store. He sold supplies and bought the hides from the buffalo hunters. On one occasion in 1877 there . . . — Map (db m95161) HM
Texas (Stonewall County), Aspermont — 5132 — Stonewall County
Near S. Broadway Street (U.S. 83) south of W. 4th Street, on the right when traveling south.
Explored 1541 on behalf of Spain by Francisco de Coronado. Visited by Texans early as the 1840's. Mapped by U.S. Army expedition of Capt. Randolph Marcy, 1849. Yielded salt for use of early settlers and hunters. Was site of buffalo hunters' . . . — Map (db m95075) HM
Texas (Stonewall County), Aspermont — Stonewall County Servicemen Honor Roll
Near S. Broadway Street (U.S. 83) north of W. 6th Street, on the left when traveling north.
Honor Roll Stonewall County Servicemen Who Gave Their Life for Our Liberty “Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for his fellow man.” John 15:13 World War I Dippel, William • . . . — Map (db m95099) WM
Texas (Stonewall County), Aspermont — Stonewall County Veterans Memorial
On S. Broadway Street (U.S. 83) at W. 6th Street, on the left when traveling north on S. Broadway Street.
This memorial is gratefully dedicated to those from Stonewall County who served our country in war and peace ensuring freedom into the 21st century and beyond ★ Indicates those who gave their lives in service to our country . . . — Map (db m95097) WM
Texas (Stonewall County), Aspermont — Texas Vietnam Veterans Memorial Highway — US Highway 83
Near U.S. 83 2.5 miles south of County Road 476/107, on the left when traveling south.
In gratitude to the thousands of men and women who served our country during the Vietnam War, the people of Texas dedicate this highway which runs across our state from the southernmost tip to the northernmost point. It is our hope that all those . . . — Map (db m95162) WM
Texas (Stonewall County), Old Glory — 3736 — Old Glory
On Loop State Highway 128 at Farm to Market Road 1835, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 128.
Stonewall County was created in 1876 by the state legislature, but the area was only sparsely settled by cattle ranchers before the turn of the century. About 1900 a number of German families who had been living in southeast Texas relocated to this . . . — Map (db m95131) HM
Texas (Stonewall County), Old Glory — 16163 — The Mackenzie Trail
On State Highway 283 0.5 miles south of County Road 139, on the right when traveling south.
The Mackenzie Trail was a significant route in Texas history. French explorer Pierre Vial and Spanish explorer Jose Mares used parts of the trail in separate expeditions (1786-88); Captain Randolph B. Marcy (1849), and Robert E. Lee (1856) came . . . — Map (db m95132) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement