Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Swisher County Texas Historical Markers

 
First Baptist Church of Claytonville Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, November 15, 2016
First Baptist Church of Claytonville Marker
Texas (Swisher County), Claytonville — 1623 — First Baptist Church of Claytonville
Organized as New Hope Baptist Church of Christ in 1891, this congregation changed its name in 1912 to Whitfield Baptist Church. It acquired a good church plant, a parsonage, and a cabin site at Plains Baptist Assembly Grounds. Steps began in 1960 to . . . — Map (db m99794) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Happy — 1890 — First United Methodist Church of Happy
Meetings held in early settlers' homes led to the formation of a Methodist fellowship in Happy in 1905. Services were first held in a schoolhouse and then in a small, frame church constructed by carpenter J. F. White. The structure stood on land . . . — Map (db m91350) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Happy — 2368 — Happy Cemetery
The Happy Cemetery Association, organized on March 18, 1912. Purchased five acres of land for two adjacent cemeteries (one specifically for Catholics) from local businessman James F. White. The oldest recorded grave is that of William T. King . . . — Map (db m91353) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Happy — 14105 — Happy Public Schools
Formal education began for students of Happy, Texas when the original settlement, two miles east, moved to this townsite in 1906 in response to the newly laid Santa Fe Rail Line. Sarah Ann Rose taught local students in a one-room frame schoolhouse . . . — Map (db m91351) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Happy — 2383 — Harmon-Toles Elevator ( mile west)
Holland E. Toles (1894-1941) opened a grain elevator in this area in 1926, and was joined by Vernon Harman in 1938. After Toles' death, Harman formed a new partnership with John F. and Holl Ed Toles. World War II, increased . . . — Map (db m91349) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Happy — 4852 — Site of Old Happy
The Hugh Currie family home, "Happy Hollow" (built 1891, near this site), was for many years only house on Amarillo-Tulia freight and stage lines. Settlers got mail and freight here. The U.S. Postal Department cut name to "Happy" for the post . . . — Map (db m91348) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Kress — 13905 — Kress Cemetery
This cemetery has served the community of Kress since 1907, shortly after residents of the town of Wright moved to this area when a railway was built here. F.T. Skipworth, a president of Farmers State Bank, deeded the land for cemetery use. The . . . — Map (db m91198) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Kress — 5600 — United Methodist Church of Kress
Organized 1906 at Wright (4 mi. NE), this church was relocated in 1907 when the Santa Fe Railway bypassed Wright, founding Kress. With their own hands, members built the first section of this sanctuary (1908), sharing its use with . . . — Map (db m91346) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Tulia — 1772 — First Methodist Church of Tulia
The Reverend R. M. Morris, area presiding elder Jerome Harelson, and seventeen charter members organized this congregation in 1891. Early worship services, held on alternate Sundays in conjunction with the local Baptist and Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m91163) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Tulia — 1932 — Flynt Building
Built 1909 of red brick with frosted glass above wood awning. First housed a confectionary. Has ornate marble counter and back bar. Exterior remodeled 1950. Is oldest retail firm in town at original location. First owner was E. W. Flynt . . . — Map (db m91195) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Tulia — 2689 — JA Ranch Cabin (Originally located 12 miles east)
Built about 1883, near a natural watering hole, as one of many line camps on the huge JA Ranch. Cowboys lived in these cabins year-round to ride range and keep 100 miles of fence in repair. A floor and new roof have been added. Recorded . . . — Map (db m91164) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Tulia — 12570 — Ozark Trails Association
Founded in 1913 to mark and promote an automobile route across several states, the Ozark Trails Association was the brainchild of William Hope Harvey of Arkansas, who wanted to improve roads to his Ozark mountain retreat. Thousands of members from . . . — Map (db m91165) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Tulia — 3918 — Palo Duro Canyon
Two miles north of here Gen. Ranald S. Mackenzie, 4th U.S. Cavalry, ordered shot the 1450 horses captured from Indians in battle in Palo Duro Canyon, September 28, 1874, to prevent their possible recovery by the Indians and to force the Indians to . . . — Map (db m99806) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Tulia — Quanah Parker Trail Texas Plains Trail Region
Quanah Parker's Peyote blanket and other Indian artifacts are part of Swisher County's Museum collection Arrow Sculptor: Charles A Smith — Map (db m99791) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Tulia — Quanah Parker Trail Texas Plains Trail Region
Comanche and other Indian Tribes camped and hunted along the Tule Creek Arrow Sculptor: Charles A Smith — Map (db m99792) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Tulia — Quanah Parker Trail Texas Plains Trail Region
Quanah Parker never forgot that nearby on Sept. 28 & 29, 1874, the U.S. Army shot 1,048 Indian horses
Map (db m99808) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Tulia — 4347 — Rose Hill Cemetery
The history of this community cemetery dates to October 1890, just three months after Swisher County was organized and Tulia was named county seat. The first recorded burial here is that of 18-year old Louis H. Harral, who died on October 17, 1890. . . . — Map (db m91197) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Tulia — Swisher County 1890 - 1990
Faith and Courage --- Endurance and Success Established in 1876 by the Texas Legislature from Bexar District Named for James Gibson Swisher, Hero of the Texas Revolution Organized July 17, 1890 Pioneers who settled Swisher County Endured . . . — Map (db m91166) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Tulia — 5169 — Swisher County
Formed from Young and Bexar territories Created: August 21, 1876 Organized: July 17, 1890 Named in honor of James Gibson Swisher 1794-1864 Conspicuous for gallantry at the storming of Bexar, 1835 Signer of the Texas Declaration . . . — Map (db m91196) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Tulia — 5653 — The Vigo Park Methodist Church
The Indiana-Texas Land Company planted a town at this site in 1906, naming it for adjoining counties in western Indiana. It was to be a shipping point on a new railroad line. C. R. Gardner and J. C. Stitt of Terre Haute, Indiana, built a 2-story . . . — Map (db m100515) HM
Texas (Swisher County), Tulia — 16606 — Tulia Depot
The town of Tulia, established in 1887 on the Tule Ranch division of the JA ranch, received an economic boost in the early 20th century with the arrival of the railroad. When Tulia began, the nearest rail connection was more than 100 miles away in . . . — Map (db m91162) HM

21 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement