A.M. Brownfield, for whose family this town was named, came to Terry County as a rancher in 1900. An early community leader, he organized the Brownfield State Bank in 1905. Built as a home for his family in 1928, this structure exhibits influences . . . — — Map (db m73500) HM
The first public burial ground in the new Terry County seat of Brownfield was begun in 1904 when 19-year-old Jessie Hill died and was interred here. By 1907, this land belonged to M. V. Brownfield; records do not indicate whether the cemetery was . . . — — Map (db m73484) HM
During the 1920s, when much of rural Texas was still without electricity, the town of Brownfield took a leap toward modernization. The town incorporated in 1920 and one year later held a vote on the issuance of bonds for the creation of a power . . . — — Map (db m73485) HM
County seat of Terry County, founded in 1903 by developers W.G. Hardin and A.F. Small.
Named for Brownfield family, prominent property owners and ranchers in the area.
Measuring with only 100 feet of wire, Hardin and Small laid out a town . . . — — Map (db m73486) HM
County named for Texas Confederate
Colonel B. F. Terry
1821 – 1861
Native of Kentucky. Came to Texas 1831. Member Secession Convention. Commanded reinforcements of state troops sent to Rio Grande for the . . . — — Map (db m73487) HM WM
Circuit riding preachers led early Brownfield settlers in religious services at a local schoolhouse. On April 1, 1906, several area residents formed a Baptist church. The Rev. M.D. Williams became the congregation's first pastor. The church built . . . — — Map (db m73499) HM
In 1903, owners of land here in center of then-unorganized Terry County platted this town, secured a post office named for Spanish-American patriot Maximo Gomez, drilled a public water well, and induced merchants and citizens to move here. This was . . . — — Map (db m73481) HM
On August 3, 1903, nine worshipers gathered together under a wagon sheet to organize a Baptist church. Led by the Rev. J. R. Miller, the congregation met once a month in the Gomez schoolhouse. A one-room sanctuary, erected in 1909, was moved . . . — — Map (db m106460) HM
Established in 1902 in Gomez (then 0.5 mi. W of here), first settlement in Terry County. Original 4-acre tract was deeded to Gomez School trustees in 1906 by pioneer settler H.F. Adams. Some of earliest settlers are buried here. Many graves were . . . — — Map (db m73483) HM
In 1906, three years after the founding of Brownfield, eleven women gathered together to form a club. Named Maids and Matrons, the club became primarily a study group in 1907, and the members founded the town's first library that year. Affiliated . . . — — Map (db m73502) HM
Army and civilian effort in 1877 to halt raiding of Chief “Old Black Horse's” Comanches.
In group were 60 Negro troops of Co. A, 10th U.S. Cavalry, and 22 buffalo hunters known as “The Forlorn Hope”. Troops departed Fort . . . — — Map (db m73728) HM
In 1885, Joseph Thomas Hamilton (1856-1932) married Laura Letha Franklin (1867-1936) in Franklin County, Texas. Natives of southern U.S. states, the couple moved west with their first three children and settled here in 1902, before Terry County was . . . — — Map (db m73503) HM
Terry County, organized in 1904, had no jail facility until this frame structure was erected in 1916 on the southeast corner of the courthouse square. The one-room building with two steel cells was replaced in 1926 by a jail located on the top floor . . . — — Map (db m73501) HM
The town of Meadow developed in the early 20th century, moving to meet the railroad in this location in 1917. In 1922, O.L. Puthuff built a blacksmith shop on this site. By that time, brothers Leslie and Herschel F. Brooks, Alabama natives, had . . . — — Map (db m73522) HM
This burial ground has served Meadow and northeast Terry County since 1921. Meadow originated in the early 20th century as Primrose, where settler W.N. Copeland opened a store and post office. The town later moved and was renamed for its location on . . . — — Map (db m106459) HM
Meadow was founded in 1904 on public land grazed by L-7 Ranch herds; village moved to this site on the Santa Fe Railway line in 1917. Soon settlers were arriving with livestock in one end of a boxcar, furniture in the other. A boxcar was used as a . . . — — Map (db m73521) HM
Methodist worship services were held in this area as early as 1904 by the Rev. J.A. Sweeney, a pioneer West Texas circuit rider. On Feb. 1, 1920, the Rev. J.W. Baughman formally organized this congregation with 17 charter members. Services were held . . . — — Map (db m73523) HM
Early classes in the Tokio Area were held in the ranch house of the J Cross Ranch near the turn of the century. In 1911, a school building was constructed near the center of town (about 300 feet N), and classes were relocated. Larger school . . . — — Map (db m71596) HM