Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Throckmorton County Texas Historical Markers

 
Marker at Entrance to Bush Knob Cemetery image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2016
Marker at Entrance to Bush Knob Cemetery
Texas (Throckmorton County), Throckmorton — 15093 — Bush Knob Massacre
In 1873, rancher Bill Hayes organized a group to drive cattle to the Indian Territory. They gathered cattle, including some belonging to rancher and outlaw John Larn, who Hayes believed had earlier rustled his cattle. Larn and a deputy secured a . . . — Map (db m93566) HM
Texas (Throckmorton County), Throckmorton — 658 — Camp Cooper, C.S.A.
Located 17 miles south, surrendered by U.S. at outbreak Civil War. Used as Confederate frontier outpost on the defense line from Red River to the Rio Grande. Manned by Texas cavalry, mounted riflemen, Rangers. Constant patrol and scouting maintained . . . — Map (db m93369) WM
Texas (Throckmorton County), Throckmorton — 16161 — Capt. Marcy Meets Chief Senaco
In 1849, U.S. Army Captain Randolph B. Marcy was charged with establishing an overland road from Fort Smith, Arkansas to Santa Fe, New Mexico for emigrants seeking gold in California. On October 20, a party of Comanches approached Marcy and his men . . . — Map (db m93271) HM
Texas (Throckmorton County), Throckmorton — Great Western Trail
The Great Western Cattle Trail began around 1876. While not as well known as the Chisholm Trail, the Great Western actually moved more longhorns, an estimated 6-7 million to the northern markets. The last cattle drive on the Great Western Trail was . . . — Map (db m93347) HM
Texas (Throckmorton County), Throckmorton — 15927 — Great Western Trail
Between 1874 and 1886, millions of cattle were driven up the Great Western Trail from south Texas to the midwestern U.S., where they were sent east to market by train. The Great Western surpassed the Chisholm Trail in both length and volume. The . . . — Map (db m93348) HM
Texas (Throckmorton County), Throckmorton — 992 — Site of the Principal Village of the Comanche Indian Reserve
Established in 1854. Here Colonel Robert E. Lee, U.S.A., then commanding Camp Cooper, held a peace parley with Chief Catumseh on April 11, 1856. — Map (db m105368) HM
Texas (Throckmorton County), Throckmorton — 5485 — Throckmorton County
Formed from Rannin and Bosque Counties Created January 13, 1858 Organized March 18, 1879 Named in honor of Dr. William Edward Throckmorton 1795 - 1843 A Revolutionary soldier Father of James Webb Throckmorton, who became . . . — Map (db m93349) HM
Texas (Throckmorton County), Throckmorton — 15081 — Throckmorton County Courthouse
The Texas Legislature created Throckmorton County—named for pioneer doctor William E. Throckmorton—in 1858, with organization delayed until 1879. F.E. Conrad donated land for the town square and built a frame courthouse on this site. The . . . — Map (db m93370) HM
Texas (Throckmorton County), Throckmorton — Throckmorton County Jail
Built 1893 Listed by National Register of Historic Places   Aug. 10, 1978 Museum Dedicated   March 1, 1986 Plaque presented by Throckmorton Sesquicentennial Committee 1987 — Map (db m93346) HM
Texas (Throckmorton County), Throckmorton — Throckmorton County Veterans Memorial
Engraved here in stone and in the hearts of the people forever, are the names of those who sacrificed their lives as well as those who gave of their time for our freedom ★ Died in Service Dedicated November 11, 2003 Civil . . . — Map (db m93371) WM
Texas (Throckmorton County), Throckmorton — 15836 — Western Boundary of Peters Colony
In 1841, the Republic of Texas granted William S. Peters and others an empresario grant in north central Texas, including most of what is now Throckmorton County. The colony’s western boundary was three miles east of the current Haskell County . . . — Map (db m93270) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement