Red River and Bowie counties Created May 11, 1846
Organized July 13, 1846
Named in honor of
Andrew J. Titus 1814-1855
Pioneer of northwest Texas
Soldier in the Mexican War
Member of the Texas Legislature . . . — — Map (db m128255) HM WM
Comprised of various groups with distinct dialects and customs, the people known today as the Caddo once occupied a region that included parts of present Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas as early as A.D. 800. By the 16th century, the Caddo . . . — — Map (db m119348) HM
Before 1830, Caddo Indians had campgrounds here around mineral springs flowing red, white, and blue waters. First home at future Mount Pleasant was built here in 1830s by Benjamin Gooch.
A health-recreational resort by 1895, springs area was . . . — — Map (db m120024) HM
This church was organized by the Rev. William Waldo Brimm (b. 1837), an early area evangelist, on Aug. 14, 1881. Two years later the congregation bought the land at this site and soon after began constructing a white frame church building. Despite . . . — — Map (db m120027) HM
Estimated to be between seven feet one inch and eight feet tall, Henry Clay Thruston became known nationally and internationally for his height. Born in South Carolina (Greenville Co.), Thruston wed Mary B. Thruston, a cousin, in 1833; they had two . . . — — Map (db m120028) HM
Created and organized in 1846. Named for pioneer resident Andrew Jackson Titus (1814-1855), who opened county's first road, to river port in Jefferson.
Until after the Civil War, Titus County also included areas of present-day Franklin and . . . — — Map (db m120025) HM
To the heroes of
1861 – 1865
Not dead, but living
such lives aspire.
As long as honor or courage
is cherished, the deeds of . . . — — Map (db m120488) WM