Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Trinity County Texas Historical Markers

 
Groveton Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Gustafson, September 18, 2011
Groveton Marker
Texas (Trinity County), Groveton — 7960 — Groveton
Named for a grove of black jack oak trees, Groveton resulted from the establishment of the Trinity County Lumber Company sawmill in 1882. After the Trinity and Sabine Railroad Company built a sixty-five mile branch line through area forests, the . . . — Map (db m53396) HM
Texas (Trinity County), Groveton — 13075 — Trinity County Courthouse
The Trinity County and Sabine Pass Land and Railway Company laid out the new town of Groveton in 1881, when the I&GN Railroad came through the area. The following year, Trinity County voters chose it as their seat of government. The company . . . — Map (db m53644) HM
Texas (Trinity County), Groveton — 7971 — Trinity County Seats
Trinity County was formally organized by an act of the Texas legislature on February 11, 1850. Soon after, county residents chose between two sites for the establishment of a county seat, which was named Sumpter (5 mi. E). Government offices were . . . — Map (db m120967) HM
Texas (Trinity County), Pennington — 7968 — Steele's Academy
Site of Steele's Academy Named in honor of its founder and principal D. W. Steele of New Hampshire Academy Attended by students from many counties — Map (db m128925) HM
Texas (Trinity County), Sebastopol — 7967 — Site of the Town of Sebastopol
An important shipping point established in the late fifties Named in commemoration of a naval station of Russia Declined in importance after railroads reached this region — Map (db m128923) HM
Texas (Trinity County), Trinity — 15316 — Old Red Schoolhouse
Trinity's first schoolhouse was a one-room log structure built in 1872 near Cedar Grove Cemetery. A two-story frame schoolhouse that stood on this site from 1897 to 1911 was moved several blocks northwest to serve African American students. Under . . . — Map (db m52983) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement