First settler, Celeste Pingenot came to this area in 1870. He built first house on south bank of Turkey Creek, 1871. Established stagecoach stand, store and inn; named it Wallace. He was first postmaster, commissioned, 1878.
Community protected . . . — — Map (db m79256) HM
Served by the Texas & New Orleans Railroad since 1882, this area was settled in 1887 by George Knippa. A freighter who worked between East Texas and Mexico, Knippa also encouraged many friends to move to the fertile land of this county. In 1899 . . . — — Map (db m90162) HM
Home Town Confederate General John R. Baylor 1822-1895Born in Kentucky. Came to Texas Republic 1839. Colorful Indian fighter. In War against Cherokees 1840. Member Texas Legislature 1853. Comanche agent 1855-57. Delegate from Weatherford, . . . — — Map (db m52681) HM
In this vicinity
June 24, 1841, Captain John Coffee Hays and his Company of 16 Rangers assisted by thirty Mexicans under Captain Flores encountered ten Comanche Indians • Killed eight and captured the other two • None of the Rangers were killed . . . — — Map (db m64459) HM
Named by Spanish for Rio Sabina and Cypress trees along river.
Town founded in 1854 by Thomas B. Hammer who operated a stage shop and was first postmaster.
Despite Indian depredations, town thrived as settlers built homes, and a railroad . . . — — Map (db m94690) HM
This church began in 1876 as part of the Sabinal circuit assigned to the Rev. Henry T. Hill. Circuit ministers served the fellowship until 1900, when it became an organized congregation. Services were held in the Christian and Baptist church . . . — — Map (db m94689) HM
Established July 12, 1856 by Captain Albert G. Brackett, Second U.S. Cavalry, as a protection to the San Antonio - El Paso Road and frontier settlers • Occupied by Federal troops until November, 1856 • Later served as a Ranger camp — — Map (db m64460) HM
Maryland native William Benson (b. 1837) came to Texas after graduating from college as a civil engineer. After settling in Brazoria County he became a teacher. During the Civil War he commanded a cavalry regiment as one of the youngest captains . . . — — Map (db m111498) HM
Places of shelter for drivers, teams and wagons. Here travelers could cook bacon, eggs, beans, coffee; talk with friends and strangers. For people from the country, a wagon yard was both a hotel and a social center. Usually it was an open area . . . — — Map (db m64461) HM
The Western Texas Presbytery assigned the Rev. James R. Bridges to the Uvalde field in 1881.
Serving Bandera, Brackettville, Del Rio, Montell and the Nueces and Frio Canyon areas, Bridges found Uvalde and especially its surrounding areas wild . . . — — Map (db m111330) HM
A major road west from San Antonio forked in the area of these forts. One road went toward El Paso, the other to the Rio Grande at Eagle Pass. Travelers heading west put on their guns in this region, the start of hostile Indian country, troops from . . . — — Map (db m52683) HM
Established in July 1941, Garner Army Air Field was named in honor of former vice president John Nance Garner, a Texas native. Hangar Six, a private flying school owned by John Lapham of San Antonio, provided flight training conducted by civilians . . . — — Map (db m82447) HM
Staged outstanding musicals, dramas. Built 1891 by local men for professional troupes. Also scene of home talent plays, some directed by Ben K. Franklin, a former actor who settled here. Programs created social stir, with lavish dress and parties. . . . — — Map (db m64462) HM
Stock-raiser and captain of a company of volunteer Indian fighters. Killed near here by 30 Comanches. Inquest for him was first in area for Indian victim. Settlers and soldiers from Fort Inge trailed the band 200 miles. After battle, found . . . — — Map (db m117850) HM
Vice President of U.S. 1933-1941. Began career as Uvalde County Judge 1893-1896. Served in Texas Legislature 1898-1902; in U.S. Congress 1904-1932, where he was, in last term, Speaker of House of Representatives. Also an able trial lawyer, rancher, . . . — — Map (db m83050) HM
Honoring 97th birthday, November 22, 1965 of
Judge John Nance Garner
Cherished by fellow citizens of Uvalde County for his acts of leadership, philanthropy and dedication to area progress.
Able trial lawyer; rancher and banker. . . . — — Map (db m82523) HM
This four-story hotel building was constructed in 1927 by the family of William Davis "Billy" Kincaid (b. 1854) in memory of his life as a prominent Uvalde cattleman, businessman, and civic leader. The Kincaid Hotel became a popular place for . . . — — Map (db m64463) HM
Celebrated outlaw who became a peace officer. Once undisputed ruler of a 5,000-square-mile area of Southwest Texas, centered in Eagle Pass and known as King Fisher's Territory.
Son of Jobe and Lucinda Fisher, at age 17 Fisher settled on . . . — — Map (db m82288) HM
Four years after Uvalde became a railroad shipping point, the people of the city built their first school building. Completed in 1885, the facility served all grade levels.
The picketed structure was constructed of cedar logs and erected on . . . — — Map (db m111329) HM
On this site stood home and trading post of Reading Wood Black. Native of New Jersey, he settled in Texas, 1853, near Leona River where he was successful in many business ventures. Founded town of Uvalde; gave land for public school. Elected County . . . — — Map (db m64490) HM
Built in 1927 as the home of Lee Schwartz, local merchant and city alderman, and his wife Agnes (Racer), this house was designed by San Antonio architect Will A. Noonan. Constructed on land formerly owned by Mrs. Schwartz's mother, the house was . . . — — Map (db m111331) HM
Established by Captain Sidney Burbank, First U.S. Infantry, on March 13, 1849. Named in honor of Lieutenant Zebulon M.P. Inge, who fell at Resaca de la Palma May 9, 1846. Protected the Southern Overland Stage mail route from Indian raids. Federal . . . — — Map (db m61252) HM
Created 1850. Named for canyon which in turn had been named for the Spanish Army Captain Juan de Ugalde, who fought and routed Indians here in 1790. Over the years, "Ugalde" became "Uvalde". Many cattle, sheep, goats are raised; and Uvalde honey is . . . — — Map (db m64565) HM
Completed in 1928, this structure replaced Uvalde County's 1890 Courthouse. The Commissioner's Court hired architect Henry T. Phelps, who had designed several other Texas courthouses, and prominent local builder M. H. Ryland to manage the . . . — — Map (db m64564) HM