Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Ward County Texas Historical Markers

 
Early Public Library Marker (on the right) image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, October 25, 2012
Early Public Library Marker (on the right)
Texas (Ward County), Barstow — 5645 — Early Public Library
Vicinity of Early Public Library The Republic of Texas set a cultural example by legislation for a state library in 1839. In 1874 cities were authorized to establish public libraries, but most were privately financed. A library near . . . — Map (db m61216) HM
Texas (Ward County), Barstow — 4789 — First Ward County Courthouse
Site of First Ward County Courthouse A three-story red sandstone courthouse with a domed cupola was constructed here in 1893, one year after Barstow was elected first Ward County seat. The first elected officials to serve in the courthouse . . . — Map (db m61215) HM
Texas (Ward County), Barstow — 3830 — Old Ward County Bank
C.E. Pierce, an early advocate of irrigated agricultural lands for the Pecos River valley, had this building constructed in 1901 to house Ward County's first bank. Never incorporated, the bank lost money due to area crop failures and closed in 1907. . . . — Map (db m61214) HM
Texas (Ward County), Grandfalls — 585 — Butterfield Overland Stage Line
One of the longest stage routes ever established, the Southern Overland Mail Line (Butterfield Route) which provided semi-weekly service St. Louis to San Francisco, 1858-1861. Followed substantially the route of this highway through Ward County. — Map (db m73304) HM
Texas (Ward County), Grandfalls — 2252 — Grandfalls Union Church
Built by three Protestant groups, 1910. First church building in town founded 1897. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark—1966Map (db m85526) HM
Texas (Ward County), Grandfalls — 5724 — Water Improvement District No. 2 Office
Built 1896 by promoters of irrigated farming. Community Center. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark—1966Map (db m85527) HM
Texas (Ward County), Monahans — 844 — Christ The King Catholic Church Sands Art Center
Area Catholics held religious services in their homes beginning in the mid-1920s until a donation of money and two lots here in 1938 enabled the congregation to construct this modestly detailed structure known as Christ the King Catholic Church. . . . — Map (db m86976) HM
Texas (Ward County), Monahans — 3434 — Monahans Sandhills State Park and Museum
In these shifting seas of sand, rich in stone evidences of primitive men, today's visitors find flint points, sandstone metates and manos of peoples who were here as early as 10,000 years ago and late as the 1870s. Bones of great mammoths and . . . — Map (db m73307) HM
Texas (Ward County), Pyote — 381st Bomb Group (H) B17
In remembrance of those who served in the 381st Bomb Group (H) B17 and 432nd Air Service Group AAF Station 167 Ridgewell, Essex, England Activated 1 January 1943 Deactivated 26 August 1945 Flight Squadrons . . . — Map (db m49769) HM
Texas (Ward County), Pyote — 4204 — Rattlesnake Bomber Base (Pyote Army Air Base)
Nicknamed for the numerous rattlesnake dens that were uncovered during its construction, Pyote Army Air Base was established in 1942 to train replacement crews for bombers during World War II. Located on 2,700 acres of University of Texas land, the . . . — Map (db m49767) HM
Texas (Ward County), Pyote — 5715 — Ward County
Formed from Tom Green County created February 26, 1887 organized March 29, 1892 Named in honor of Thomas William Ward 1807-1872 At the storming of Bexar December, 1835 Commissioner of the General Land Office, 1841-1848 . . . — Map (db m86979) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement