Soon after the establishment of this community along the proposed rail line for the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf railway in 1902, residents called for the creation of a school to serve their children. Both the community and the school were known as . . . — — Map (db m100353) HM
Fort Elliott, established June 5, 1875 to help keep Native Americans on their Indian territory reservations, was partially garrisoned by African American soldiers called “Buffalo Soldiers” by Native Americans. Various companies of the . . . — — Map (db m93727) HM
Great peace officer of era of early settlement in Texas Panhandle. (During his term in office, lived near this site).
Born in Greensboro, Alabama. During the Civil War, 1861-1865, was one of most daring scouts in famous guerrilla command of . . . — — Map (db m93708) HM
First county judge in Texas Panhandle and in Wheeler County, Dubbs was born in Ohio. Came to know Texas as a buffalo hunter, and was in famous Indian Battle of Adobe Walls, 1874. Gained wide respect when, as judge, he had a lawless U.S. marshal . . . — — Map (db m93701) HM
First stood about a mile to the northwest, at Fort Elliott, established 1875 to protect the Texas Panhandle from Indians.
J. J. Long, teamster-merchant, who arrived with the soldiers, was hired to provide a flagpole for the fort. In cedar breaks . . . — — Map (db m93702) HM
First judge of the 35th District, then comprising entire Panhandle. Born in Indiana, he came to Texas in search of new horizons.
As judge, from 1881 to 1890, his honesty, keen wit, and ample figure inspired many anecdotes. His two sons, Newton . . . — — Map (db m93704) HM
Oldest town in Texas Panhandle. Originally a trading post, 2 miles south, 1874; moved nearer to Fort Elliott, 1875. Earlier called Sweetwater, was renamed in 1879.
Courthouse was completed by Mark Huselby, first county tax assessor, and other . . . — — Map (db m93709) HM
Mobeetie cemetery is the first known established cemetery in the Texas panhandle. It was born of necessity, established as a final resting place for those whose journey ended in Mobeetie, which evolved from an 1875 hunter’s camp and nearby army . . . — — Map (db m93699) HM
Soon after Wheeler County was organized in 1879, a Union church was formed at Old Mobeetie (2 mi S). On April 2, 1894, the 13 Baptist members of the fellowship organized this church. Services were held in public buildings until 1919, when a . . . — — Map (db m93713) HM
Early mail service in Wheeler County was established at Fort Elliott. In 1879, a U.S. post office opened in the town of Mobeetie, previously known as Sweetwater. George A. Montgomery served as the first postmaster. In 1928, after the town moved . . . — — Map (db m93725) HM
Mobeetie developed from a buffalo hunters camp established in 1874 and Fort Elliott, which opened in 1875. Methodists Peter Gravis and J.T. Hosmer preached in the town in 1881, and by 1884, Mobeetie had a mission Methodist congregation. An 1898 . . . — — Map (db m93711) HM
First jail in Panhandle of Texas. Central holding place for badmen. Built at cost of $18,500, including $1200 for a hangman's device put in to meet state requirement. Stone quarried on farm of Emanuel Dubbs, first . . . — — Map (db m93700) HM
Established June 5, 1875. One of the last forts established in Texas for the purpose of clearing the region of Indians. Around it Mobeetie, rendezvous of buffalo hunters and trappers grew up. The post was abandoned in 1889. — — Map (db m48385) HM
Brilliant attorney and state senator from this county, 1885-1887. Son of Texas hero Sam Houston.
Old courthouse where he practiced law and his home were both near here. He gave dedicatory speech for Texas Capitol in 1888.
Married Laura Cross . . . — — Map (db m93705) HM
Organized in 1904 by the Rev. E. A. Oller, this was the second church established in Shamrock. Charter members included Martha Anderson, A. N. Holmes, Mrs. Kaffir, Mrs. Betty McGreggor, and J. M. Woodley. First meeting place was the local . . . — — Map (db m100317) HM
Created 1860; until 1896, one of largest counties in Texas. Organized at Old Mobeetie, northwest of here. In 1880s settlement was rapid; by 1892 nearly 2,500 pupils were in county's schools. A post office, jail and many houses were built, and over . . . — — Map (db m100324) HM
Named for Sam Pakan, Sr., (1875-1929), Slovak emigrant. Success in Chicago enabled him to buy land here, 1904. Ten other Slovak families joined him and pooled funds to build first school, 1907. Some old settlers remaining include Linkeys, Mertels, . . . — — Map (db m100354) HM
Visits of Methodist ministers to this area began in 1881. On June 17, 1901, circuit rider W. L. Harris, from Cataline Mission (40 mi N), organized this first local church in native walnut grove of Mrs. Mary Ruth Jones (3 mi N). Charter members (17) . . . — — Map (db m100318) HM
Soon after residents voted to incorporate in March 1911, Shamrock officials identified the need for a reliable waterworks for the city. Prior to that time, citizens got their water from one of two town wells or hauled it to town in barrels on . . . — — Map (db m100316) HM
Early area settler George Nickel and his wife, Dora (Hggard), raised their family in a dugout home in Wheeler County. For his Irish heritage and for its symbolism of luck and courage, George suggested “Shamrock” for a Post . . . — — Map (db m105661) HM
Saint Patrick, the Patron Saint of Ireland, is one of Christianity’s most widely known figures. Even with all of his celebrity, much of his life remains a mystery. Historians are still researching and debating the famous account of his banishing all . . . — — Map (db m105794) HM
The distinctive Tower Building was one of many commercial structures erected in the early 1930s along new U.S. Route 66. Designed by Pampa Architect J.C. Berry, the structure was built by local entrepreneur J.M. Tindall in 1936. The Tower Building . . . — — Map (db m52016) HM
Irish folklore says “you will never be at a loss for words” after kissing the Blarney Stone (also known as The Stone of Eloquence). Here in Shamrock, Texas, some of our locals swear their luck changed for the better after kissing this . . . — — Map (db m105791) HM
Built 1914 by Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Porter, pioneer settlers; Porter, an ex-cowboy, ranched near here after marrying Millie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Jones, 1886 settlers in Mobeetie area.
Millie (1877-1957) as a child helped herd sheep; she . . . — — Map (db m93684) HM
The site of Wheeler Cemetery was conveyed to J.E. Stanley, trustee for the Wheeler Community graveyard, by R.M. Stone and Nellie J. Stone, original owners of the property, in 1907. There are more than 2,700 recognized graves with the first tombstone . . . — — Map (db m93685) HM
Formed from Young and Bexar territories Created August 21, 1876
Organized April 12, 1879 Named in honor of
Royal T. Wheeler 1810 – 1864
Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Texas, 1844-1858
Chief Justice, 1858-1864 . . . — — Map (db m93680) HM
Named for Royal T. Wheeler, an early Texas jurist, Wheeler County was created by the Texas State Legislature in 1876. In 1879 the county was organized and Mobeetie (then known as Sweetwater), the only town in the county, became the county seat. A . . . — — Map (db m93682) HM
Built 1909 after county seat moved from historic Old Mobeetie. First sheriff, M. V. Sanders; jailer, J. M. Kezee. Built of concrete and steel. Used 20 years with only 1 prisoner escaping.
Now used for library, museum and county offices. . . . — — Map (db m93681) HM