This is a two sided marker
In 1874 John t Lytle drove a herd of 3500 longhorn cattle from south Texas to Fort Robinson, Nebraska. The trail that he mapped would later be known as The Great Western Cattle Trail, the greatest of . . . — — Map (db m104930) HM
A major route for cattle drives known primarily as the Western Trail developed from far South Texas to Dodge City, Kansas, in the 1870s. About 1876, trail drivers along the route began crossing the Red River near this site. In 1878, Ohio native . . . — — Map (db m104928) HM
By herds on the Western Texas-Kansas Trail, 1876-1895, six million cattle and horses crossed here.
"You don't need much monument if the cause is good. It's only these monuments that are for no reason at all that has to be big. Good luck to you . . . — — Map (db m104929) HM
Organized 1858 and named in honor of Mathias and Josiah P. Wilbarger, early Texas settlers.
Josiah, a surveyor, had become famous as the man who lived 12 years after being scalped by Comanches, 1833, near Austin. He had saved his life by . . . — — Map (db m96686) HM
Features one of Texas' famed regional collections of Indian artifiacts, tracing history of early man along the Red River. Before Chisholm Trail days, when thousands of cattle crossed Red River at nearby Doan's Crossing, Vernon area was home to . . . — — Map (db m96815) HM
Lawyer and World War I veteran, T. Edgar Johnson (1889-1972), gathered resources from family and friends to open Johnson-Davis Ford Company in Vernon in 1930 at this location. The business thrived during the Great Depression, becoming a leading . . . — — Map (db m104990) HM
Corwin F. Doan (1848-1929) settled here on Red River in 1878; erected this house in 1881. In his early picket store and later, permanent building, he had large stocks of goods to supply the cowboys who annually drove cattle in herds of thousands . . . — — Map (db m104931) HM
The largest, longest, and lasting the most years, is often
called by its Hollywood famous cousin's name, the Chishom Trail.
The two trails ran parallel to each other approximately 90 miles
apart. The Chisholm Trail did not run through . . . — — Map (db m98009) HM
Derived its name from the T. J. and J. B. Lockett families who settled here in 1888. On Dec. 24, 1888, Wm. Lockett, their father, died while visiting here and was among the first to be buried in the East View Cemetery. The J. B. Lockett family moved . . . — — Map (db m104991) HM
In honor of the trail drivers who freed Texas from the yoke of debt and despair by their trails to the cattle markets of the far north; we dedicate this stone, symbol of their courage and fortitude, at the site of the Old Doan's Store, October . . . — — Map (db m104927) HM
Oldest drugstore in county. Founded 1882 in a dugout. First building (1884) housed office of Dr. H. H. Rhoads, co-owner and 40 years county health officer. First newspaper in county, the "Vernon Hornet", had its shop in the store building. Passing . . . — — Map (db m104989) HM
Completed in 1906, this colonial revival residence was constructed for Sterling P. Huff. An attorney, Huff became Justice of the 46th District Court and was later elected to the 7th Court of Civil Appeals. In 1914 local attorney William David Berry . . . — — Map (db m104940) HM
Spottswood Lomax, a founder of the noted Matador and Espuela (Spur) ranches of Texas, built a Queen Anne house here in 1890. It was remodeled in the colonial revival style around the turn of the century by the prominent cattleman W. T. "Tom" . . . — — Map (db m104939) HM
Formed from Bexar County
Created February 1, 1858
Organized October 10, 1881
Josiah and Mathias Wilbarger
brothers who came to Texas
Josiah, scalped by Indians
survived 11 years . . . — — Map (db m96685) HM
Wilbarger County Remembers
This memorial is lovingly
dedicated December 5, 1926
to her valiant sons 1917 — 1918.
We hold them in our grateful
hearts with reverence and
Albert E. Robinson . . . — — Map (db m97696) WM