Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wilson County Texas Historical Markers

 
Captain Will Wright Marker (<i>tall view</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, May 20, 2018
Captain Will Wright Marker (tall view)
Texas (Wilson County), Floresville — 706 — Captain Will Wright(1868-1942)
Founding officer, Co. D, Texas Rangers. Had uncles, brother, sons in Rangers and Border Patrol. Wilson County deputy sheriff, 1896-1900; sheriff, 1902-1917. While in office reared his family in the jailer's quarters. Always was armed. A . . . — Map (db m118698) HM
Texas (Wilson County), Floresville — 742 — Casa Blanca
Home of Don Erasmo Seguin who died here in 1857 By appointment of the Spanish governor he inducted Stephen F. Austin into Texas, 1821 Texas Deputy to the Mexican Congress, 1824 On October 13, 1834 in a convention in Bexar he . . . — Map (db m130344) HM
Texas (Wilson County), Floresville — 701 — Cemetery of Canary Islanders
Predates church built 1732 by colonists who arrived 1731, led by Juan Leal Goras. They farmed and raised stock. Their villa, San Fernando, was first municipality in Texas. Among unmarked graves is that of flamboyant Dona Maria Cavillo. . . . — Map (db m77412) HM
Texas (Wilson County), Floresville — 1631 — First Baptist Church of Floresville
This congregation was established by The Rev. John Washburn, who came to Texas from Illinois in 1877. He moved to Floresville to become superintendent of the Floresville Academy in May 1878. According to tradition, about 20 charter members attended . . . — Map (db m130342) HM
Texas (Wilson County), Floresville — 1922 — Floresville United Methodist Church
The organizational meeting for the Floresville Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Agee on October 25, 1875. The Rev. Ichabod Kingsbury led in the congregation's formation and served as first pastor. The six . . . — Map (db m130341) HM
Texas (Wilson County), Floresville — 2717 — James Charles Wilson
When this county was created in 1860 by the Eighth Texas Legislature, it was named for Texas patriot James Charles Wilson. A native of England, Wilson (1818-1861) left his homeland in 1836 and by 1839 had settled in Brazoria County, Texas. He . . . — Map (db m117637) HM
Texas (Wilson County), Floresville — 4866 — Site of Old Town: Lodi
Community in an area known by 1720 as land of the Cayopines, a Coahuiltecan Indian tribe. The site was important to Spanish missions of San Antonio, since here along the river their herds were pastured. For the herdsmen, adobe huts were built. After . . . — Map (db m77421) HM
Texas (Wilson County), Floresville — 5335 — The Flores de Abrego Family and Floresville
The Flores de Abrego family came to the New World from northern Spain before the time of the American Revolution. During the 18th century, members of this family brought their cattle northward and established ranches along the San Antonio River. . . . — Map (db m118697) HM
Texas (Wilson County), Floresville — 5428 — The Site of the Mission of Las Cabreras
A ranch chapel visited regularly and maintained by the Franciscan missionaries of San Antonio near the ancient settlement of Las Islitas (now Graytown) Attended by the Canary Islanders, their descendants, Mexicans, Natives and . . . — Map (db m131925) HM
Texas (Wilson County), Floresville — 7 — Vicinity of Site: "Mision de las Cabras"("Mission of the Goats")
A fortified visita of Mission Espada, founded 1731 in San Antonio. Situated near Paso de las Mujeres ("Crossing of the Women"), an important ford on the San Antonio River, known to most parties obliged to travel between Mexico and San Antonio. . . . — Map (db m77409) HM
Texas (Wilson County), Floresville — 12828 — White House Café and Saloon
An important landmark in downtown Floresville, this building dates to the earliest years of the 20th century. Although records have not been found to pinpoint the exact date of construction, it was built sometime between 1902 and 1907. A 1909 . . . — Map (db m130343) HM
Texas (Wilson County), Floresville — Wilson County
Created February 13, 1860 Organized August 6, 1860 Named in honor of James Charles Wilson 1816 – 1861 Member of the Mier Expedition District Clerk of Brazoria County, 1844 Senator from Matagorda County Floresville, . . . — Map (db m117636) HM
Texas (Wilson County), Floresville — 5856 — Wilson County Courthouse
Constructed in 1884, this courthouse replaced one built soon after Floresville was chosen Wilson County seat in 1871. Designed by noted San Antonio architect Alfred Giles, this Italianate structure was constructed of bricks made in a local . . . — Map (db m118723) HM
Texas (Wilson County), Floresville — Wilson County Jail
Public Square built in 1887 Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m118699) HM
Texas (Wilson County), Kosciuszko — 12311 — St. Ann's Catholic Church
In 1880, about sixty families of Polish descent (Silesian Poles) bought the land in this sparsely settled area. After their arrival, the town became known as Kosciuszko, named after the noted Polish American hero, General Thaddeus Kosciuszko. In . . . — Map (db m131924) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement