Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Garfield County Utah Historical Markers

 
Bryce Airport Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, June 13, 2014
Bryce Airport Marker
Utah (Garfield County), Bryce — Bryce Airport
Bryce Airport's Vital Role In this remote region, with major hospitals and airfields hundreds of miles away, Bryce Airport provides critical emergency support. Built in 1936 as an emergency landing strip for commercial airlines, the airport . . . — Map (db m74765) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Bryce Canyon National Park — Bryce Amphitheater
"Before there were any Indians, the Legend People, To-when-an-ung-wa, lived in that place. There were many of them. They were of many kinds - birds, animals, lizards and such things - but they looked like people....For some reason, the . . . — Map (db m40537) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Bryce Canyon National Park — Bryce Canyon Lodge
Union Pacific Railroad served Bryce Canyon well as it grew to national park status. The railroad's vision of the site's potential for tourism culminated in the creation of the "Grand Circle Tour", a tour that traveled to several parks in one trip. . . . — Map (db m40550) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Bryce Canyon National Park — Post-War Service Station
In 1924, when the park was first established, visitors for that year totaled 17,213. A remote locale, poor access, limited on-site accommodations, and few car owners allowed only the elite and the adventurous to come to Bryce Canyon. Twenty years . . . — Map (db m40533) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Bryce Canyon National Park — Stephen Tyng Mather July 4, 1867 - Jan. 22, 1930
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service, defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — Map (db m40524) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Bryce Canyon National Park — Streetscape
In the early 1920s, the Union Pacific Railroad, the National Park Service and the National Forest Service worked together to develop Bryce Canyon as a national park. This collection of cabins and the Bryce Canyon Lodge are a product of that . . . — Map (db m40558) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Bryce Canyon National Park — Wheeling through the Years
Before Bryce Canyon was a national park, the Union Pacific Railroad conceived the "Grand Circle" of parks; an area that encompassed Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Cedar Breaks and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. In order for the "Circle" to . . . — Map (db m40534) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Escalante — 94 — Escalante
In 1866, a group of Mormon Cavalrymen noted this valley, while in pursuit of Indians during the Black Hawk War. In February, 1875, a company of men came from Beaver, Utah and explored the valley. The first permanent settlers came from Beaver, . . . — Map (db m74744) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Escalante — 266 — First Public Building
In 1876-77 Escalante Pioneers erected a log building, 36 x 18 feet, located 20 feet west of this marker. The logs 18 inches in diameter came from Cyclone Lake Mountain by ox team. They were hewn by hand, fastened with oak pins, morticed ends and . . . — Map (db m74745) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Escalante — 141 — L.D.S. Tithing Office
This structure, the second public building in Escalante, was erected in 1884 of native stone by Mormon pioneers under the direction of Bishop Andrew P. Schow, Edwin Twitchell and Thomas Heaps. The stone mason was Morgan Richards. It was used to . . . — Map (db m74746) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Escalante — 501 — Old Boulder Mail Trail
The isolated trails between Boulder and Escalante, Utah, were important in the history of the two towns. The foot trail, used by Indians for centuries, connected the two areas and was known as the Death Hollow Trail. Mules, horses, or people . . . — Map (db m74759) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Escalante — Old White Church
Escalante's first church stood on or near this spot. It was a two-story building made of white sandstone. The upper floor was used as the LDS Chapel and for recreational purposes; the lower floor provided classrooms for church organizations and at . . . — Map (db m74748) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Hatch — Asay Settlement
About 1872 Joseph Asay with his family settled about 3/4 mile west and a little south of this spot. Soon other homesteaders settled in the locality. Tom Jessup and Dan LeRoy erected a water power saw mill. A shingle mill was also placed on the . . . — Map (db m74676) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Hatch — Hatch Ward Building and Bell
In 1904 the Hatch L.D.S. Ward building was erected on this lot. A vestibule was added in 1910 and the bell was purchased with donations from ward members. For many years it hung in the tower and rang out for all civic, social and church activities. . . . — Map (db m74679) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Hatch — 292 — Settlement of Hatch
In 1872 Meltiar Hatch settled at the head of the Sevier River, near the junction of Mammoth and Asay Creeks. He engaged in stock raising and operated a water-power saw mill. Soon other settlers came. Land was surveyed and irrigation ditches dug. . . . — Map (db m74677) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Henrieville — Second Powell Expedition Charting New Territory Last Blank Spot on the Map
In 1871, this region was part of the last uncharted territory in the continental United States. That year, Major John Wesley Powell launched the Second Powell Expedition to explore and map this frontier, continuing the work he had begun three years . . . — Map (db m74763) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — Butch Cassidy Legend of the Wild West
Outlaw or Hero? "My father, he carried the mail, and he always stopped and had dinner at a certain place [in Red Canyon]. While he was having dinner, old Butch Cassidy came to his camp. He told about these fellows following him. He got up . . . — Map (db m40513) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — 62 — Panguitch Fort
In March, 1864, about fifty pioneers under the leadership of Jens Nielson settled Panguitch. They built a fort of logs, enclosing their homes and a building used for church, school and recreation. The town was abandoned in 1867, because of Indian . . . — Map (db m27020) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — 166 — Panguitch Stake Tabernacle
Panguitch stake of the L.D.S. Church was organized in 1877 with James Henrie as president. In March 1880, plans were made for a stake house with George Dodds, architect, and M.M. Steel, Sr., chairman of the building. The following men were prominent . . . — Map (db m27040) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — 442 — Panguitch Tithing Lot
During the first settlement of Panguitch, between 1864 and 1867, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints paid tithes with produce and cattle, which were kept on this lot and disbursed as needed. Barns and corrals were constructed . . . — Map (db m74680) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — Podunk Guard Station
Podunk received its name from a Paiute Indian named Po Dunk, who had become lost in the heavily timbered area near the East Fork of the Sevier River. The area was named after him, and the guard station named after the area in which it was built and . . . — Map (db m40482) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — Red Canyon Tunnels Gateway to Natural Wonders
A New Park's Magical Opening "One little fairy hopped upon the running board and asked Governor Dern if he believed in fairies. 'Yes,' he said. 'Then,' said she, 'enter into Fairyland." - From Golden Nuggets of Pioneer Days, Daughters . . . — Map (db m40509) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — 460 — Social Hall
The Panguitch Social Hall was built during the years between 1890-1900. Fredrick Judd made the bricks and slacked the lime for the laying of the brick. The walls were three bricks thick, and the building had wide double-doors on either side of the . . . — Map (db m74682) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — 510 — The Panguitch Quilt Walk
The first group of pioneers came to Panguitch on March 16, 1864, from Parowan under the leadership of Jens Nielson. They followed the route over the rugged Bear Valley, a part of the Spanish Trail. Crops were planted, but the season was short and . . . — Map (db m27046) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Panguitch — The Panguitch Quilt Walk History
In 1864 a group of hardy pioneers braved the mountain snows to save their families from starvation. This group of men encountered snows that were impassable. According to their faith they knelt on a quilt in a prayer circle. The answer to their . . . — Map (db m74681) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Tropic — 477 — Loseeville
Clifton (Loseeville) was situated in East Valley one mile east of the Pahreah River and four miles North of Cannonville. The first settlers were Ebenezer Bryce in 1876 and Daniel Goulding in 1878. They built a ditch to bring water to the valley from . . . — Map (db m74743) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Tropic — Tropic Pioneers
In Honor of Tropic Pioneers and diverting water over rim of Great Basin May 23, 1892 — Map (db m74741) HM

27 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement