The Copper Ridge Dinosaur Tracksite preserves the peculiar tracks of a long-necked herbivorous dinosaur (sauropod), along with two different sizes of meat-eating dinosaur (theropod) tracks. This site stands out for being the first place in Utah . . . — — Map (db m134105) HM
The forces of erosion are sculpting more than just arches. Balanced Rock clearly shows the various layers responsible for this amazing defiance of gravity.
The caprock of the hard Slick Rock Member of the Entrada Sandstone is perched upon a . . . — — Map (db m52002) HM
Civilian Conservation Corps
Camp DG-32 (Co. 234)
During the Great Depression of the 1930s, CCC Camps were scattered all over the USA. They provided gainful employment to youth of the nation with work on public service . . . — — Map (db m131990) HM
The third largest arch in the park, Double Arch's larger span is 144 feet wide by 112 feet high (44 by 34 meters). The smaller opening is 67 feet wide by 86 feet high (20 by 26 meters).
For a closer look at Double Arch, walk this easy trail . . . — — Map (db m131861) HM
One room of this building, formerly the L.D.S. Church, was erected in 1888. Two years later a second room was added. The bishop was Randolph Stewart; building committee: O.W. Warner, who donated the land, Henry Holyoak, and O.D. Allen; supervisors . . . — — Map (db m95092) HM
In April 1855, forty one men under the leadership of Alfred N. Billings were called to establish a mission in the Elk Mountains. They left Salt Lake City May 7, 1855, arrived at Grand River June 11, and selected the site for a settlement. By July . . . — — Map (db m95090) HM
In May 1869, Major John Wesley Powell set out on a remarkable mission: to explore the uncharted canyons and waters of the Green and Colorado rivers. Powell, a geology professor and one-armed Civil War veteran, began the journey with nine novice . . . — — Map (db m127606) HM
Constructed of adobe in 1889, the Moab L.D.S. Church was built nine years after the establishment of Moab in 1880. Angus Stocks supervised the laying of the foundation and adobes. Within a few years of original construction an addition was made to . . . — — Map (db m95093) HM
The Moab mill was constructed in 1956 by Uranium Reduction Company, which operated the mill until 1962 when the assets were sold to the Atlas Minerals Corporation (Atlas). Uranium concentrate, the milling product, was sold to the . . . — — Map (db m95083) HM
Wilderness is a word of many meanings. From a place to be feared to a place to be revered, wilderness evokes images of wild animals, jagged mountains, vast prairies or deserts. For some, wilderness offers physical challenges, solitude or a respite . . . — — Map (db m95082) HM
(There are two markers mounted on the kiosk)
In June 1991, the Nature Conservancy dedicated this preserve in honor of one of Utah's leading environmental advocates: Scott M. Matheson.
As Utah's governor, Matheson . . . — — Map (db m95089) HM
Constructed from 1905 to 1906 by local craftsmen, Star Hall is architecturally significant as a fine local example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture and is historically significant for the role it has played in the community over the years as . . . — — Map (db m95120) HM
You are standing at “the neck,” about to cross out onto the high promontory called “Dead Horse Point.” Before you do though, take a few moments to ponder the horses. What happened here? How did such a beautiful place get such . . . — — Map (db m92541) HM
In front of you the park road crosses a strip of land only 40 feet wide called the Neck. Beyond this point lies an isolated, 43-square mile mesa known as the Island in the Sky. On all sides the Island is bounded by yawning canyons, and cliffs that . . . — — Map (db m92540) HM
Log cabins used to be common in Moab. I am the oldest one left. I was built, most likely, by the first bishop of Moab, Randolph Stewart, for his third plural wife, Marietta, about 1881. The Stanley's, a family of four lived here in 1908 after they . . . — — Map (db m95091) HM
Human activities have changed the face of Canyonlands. Livestock grazing in the late 19th century altered plant communities. The roads and seismic lines you see below were constructed in the 1950s in a search for uranium and oil. Mining and grazing . . . — — Map (db m95081) HM
John Wesley Wolfe settled here in the late 1800s with his oldest son Fred. A nagging leg injury from the Civil War prompted John to move west from Ohio, looking for a drier climate. He chose this tract of more than 100 acres along Salt Wash for . . . — — Map (db m132029) HM