The reconstruction of the historic pioneer cemetery wall was completed in August 1994 as a memorial to the stalwart Mormon pioneers who settled this part of the American West and who originally built and dedicated the wall in the year 1886. It was . . . — — Map (db m75618) HM
Built in 1923, the Cedar City Railroad Depot is historically significant for its direct association with the railroad and its impact on Cedar City. In addition to stimulating the local iron ore and livestock industries, the railroad connection to . . . — — Map (db m59566) HM
A tabernacle was erected in 1885 on the adjoining corner of Main and Center Streets and was demolished in the spring of 1932. In 1872 Bishop Christopher J. Arthur suggested that this Tabernacle be built to replace the Social Hall.
Mayhew Dalley . . . — — Map (db m59540) HM
In 1866 Louis R. Chaffin, at the request of Apostle Erastus Snow, placed a gristmill in Cedar City. His son, Henry, ran it until 1868 when Louis returned from "The Muddy." Adjoining land was purchased in 1875. Excavation by Alva Matheson proved the . . . — — Map (db m59538) HM
The cinder cone developed from a series of continuous mild volcanic explosions piling the debris on the surface surronding a volcanic vent. There are numerous cinder cones on the Cedar City Ranger District, many visible from . . . — — Map (db m68762)
This monument marks the spot where on Sept. 30, 1852 the first iron was manufactured west of the Mississippi River by the Mormon Iron Missionaries sent by Brigham Young.
This 5½ ton ore body was obtained from the iron deposits used by . . . — — Map (db m1288) HM
Ellen (Nellie) Purcell was born November 6, 1846 in Tintwhistle, England. At 9 she, with her parents and sister Margaret (Maggie), 14, began the trek from Iowa to Salt Lake Valley in 1856 with the Edward Martin Handcart Company.
Early snows . . . — — Map (db m59517) HM
Father Silvestre Velez de Escalante with Father Dominguez and eight others, first white men to enter the Great Basin, left Santa Fe July 29, 1776 in attempt to reach Monterey. Abandoning attempt, party passed through Cedar Valley October 12 on . . . — — Map (db m1440) HM
Iron ore having been discovered at Iron Springs, Brigham Young called missionaries to Iron County to make iron. A militia of 35 men was organized in Parowan, Nov. 5, 1851, under Captain Henry Lunt. Part of the company left Nov. 10th in 11 wagons and . . . — — Map (db m59546) HM
In November 1851, thirty-five men from Parowan settled Cedar City. A unique temporary encampment, composed of their wagon boxes and sage brush walls, sheltered them through the first winter. In 1853, a fort 100 rods square was built on this site. . . . — — Map (db m59515) HM
In 1852 Peter Shirts located a ranch on Sidon Creek, later known as Shirts Creek. He offered John Hamilton half the water to come and settle there. Hamilton came with his family and Peter Fife. When Walker Indian War broke out they moved to Cedar . . . — — Map (db m59513) HM
Born and raised in Cedar City, Helen Foster Snow was a journalist, traveler, thinker, and activist who was present during the revolutionary period leading up to the establishment of the People's Republic of China and became a heroine to the people . . . — — Map (db m59565) HM
The disappearance of a Western Air Services Boeing 95 mail plane during an intense snow storm thrust Cedar City, Utah, into the sharp focus of world attention. It was not because such accidents were uncommon, for air crashes were quite common in . . . — — Map (db m74002) HM
Iron County exists because those who lived here developed the resources necessary for survival in this desert climate. The three legacies passed down by early settlers and their descendants — agriculture, mining, and railroads — are . . . — — Map (db m130593) HM
It is believed that the first fired bricks in Utah were made in Cedar City in connection with the attempt of the Deseret Iron Company to manufacture iron in 1852. The blast furnace was located in the vicinity of 400 North 100 East. Fired brick was . . . — — Map (db m1381) HM
To satisfy an urgent need for manufactured iron products, a small group of English, Welch, Scotch, Irish and American pioneers answered a call from Brigham Young to become "Iron Missionaries" to settle Iron County and to make iron. They arrived in . . . — — Map (db m59545) HM
Born in England, Francis Webster traveled to Utah in 1856 and played an important role in the early development of Cedar City. A leader in the sheep industry, he was among the first to begin shipping sheep and wool to the Chicago markets. An early . . . — — Map (db m75620) HM
Born in Springshire, England, and an iron-molder by trade, Richard Harrison served as superintendent of the worlds largest iron foundry, located in Liverpool. He immigrated to Nauvoo, Illinois, in 1843 then on to Utah in 1849. He arrived in Cedar . . . — — Map (db m130595) HM
The caboose provided the train crew with shelter and working space while they threw switches and inspected for problems such as shifting loads, overheated axle bearings, and dragging equipment. The conductor used the caboose for filling out various . . . — — Map (db m130597) HM
On July 29, 1776, Fathers Francisco Atanasio Dominguez and Silvestre Velez de Escalante led an exploration party of ten horsemen from Santa Fe, New Mexico, to establish an overland route to Monterey, California, while spreading the Catholic faith to . . . — — Map (db m59514) HM
There are five plaques across the base of the statue
In the annals of American higher education, there is no more dramatic founding of a school than that accorded Southern Utah University, nor a more striking example of the extent of the . . . — — Map (db m59516) HM
Hay for livestock in a horse-driven society was as important as gasoline or electricity is today. The oldest technology for stacking hay in Iron County was the hay derrick that allowed farmers to build haystacks in their fields.
Hay derricks, . . . — — Map (db m130599) HM
In the 1930s, iron mining expanded in Iron County and massive shovels were needed to excavate the needed ore. According to company delivery records, two Bucyrus-Erie 120-B shovels were delivered to the Utah Construction Company in Cedar City in . . . — — Map (db m130598) HM
The Cedar City Pioneers had made their homes in the Old Fort and had built an adobe schoolhouse 28 feet by 60 feet when, in May 1855, President Brigham Young advised them to move to higher ground. By 1859, the majority of the people had moved to the . . . — — Map (db m59542) HM
Site of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints recreation building known as the Ward Hall. Rushed to completion in the fall of 1897 and deeded to the State of Utah so the Branch Normal School of the University of Utah could be legally . . . — — Map (db m59543) HM
Schoolhouse - The second schoolhouse in Enoch was a two-story structure built on this site in 1917-1918. It was a brick building containing two classrooms, two libraries, two bathrooms and a furnace room. Only one room served as a classroom, and . . . — — Map (db m59568) HM
During the summer of 1851, a small company of men was exploring this area and discovered the springs on the bench one-fourth mile to the east. Joel H. Johnson was so impressed with the spot, that he sought and received permission from George A. . . . — — Map (db m59571) HM
In 1869, John P. Jones and sons moved from the fort at Johnson Springs and purchased land and springs on the east bench of the community. Jones, who was an iron worker, built a coke oven and blast furnace where scrap iron was melted and molded to . . . — — Map (db m59960) HM
Old Kanarra, as it was called by early inhabitants, was founded in the spring of 1861 by settlers who moved from Fort Harmony. The town was situated on Kanarra Creek about one mile north and east of the present location. Later, a group from . . . — — Map (db m59472) HM
The low ridge at the south end of this valley forms the south rim of the Great Basin, which in prehistoric times was the bed of a vast body of water now referred to as Lake Bonneville. It was so named in honor of Captain Benjamin L. E. Bonneville, . . . — — Map (db m1382) HM
This Park is dedicated to the memory of Henry W. Lunt, Jan. 25 1863-Dec. 26, 1926, in recognition of his contribution to the scenic, economic and spiritual development of Southern Utah. Mr. Lunt served as Vice Chairman of the State Road Commission . . . — — Map (db m75617) HM
Paragonah was founded in 1852. Indian trouble caused abandonment a year later until 1855 when the pioneer fort was built. The site was selected and dedicated by President Brigham Young.
The fort was 105 feet square with walls 3 feet thick at the . . . — — Map (db m59617) HM
This area, a part of the Great Basin, has evolved from the time of Lake Bonneville. It has known Anasazi Indian civilizations as evidenced by nearby ruins. It has seen the Dominguez-Escalante expedition of 1776 which passed west of this valley. It . . . — — Map (db m59620) HM
Tithing Lot - Pioneer William Robb Jr. built a rock house, consisting of two rooms with a cellar, diagonally across the street from this location. It was later sold to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and became a Tithing Office . . . — — Map (db m59622) HM
This building, erected in 1866, served the community of Parowan for 52 years as a religious and cultural center. Later it was given by the L.D.S. Church to the Daughters of Utah Pioneers, who in 1939-40 restored the old edifice and in 1949-50 . . . — — Map (db m59614) HM
"I commenced a grammar school in my wickiup by the light of the fire and only one grammar book." Diary of George A. Smith, February 25, 1851.
The first school house, 18 x 24 feet, was built west of the Council House and dedicated December 25, . . . — — Map (db m59611) HM
Dedicated to the memory of
Mary Aikens Smith
and her sons
Jesse Nathaniel and Silas Sanford
and to the memory of
All the pioneer settlers
who founded Parowan in 1851
Constructed 1856-58 by Jesse N. Smith
Restored 1967 by . . . — — Map (db m59602) HM
Seeking a suitable railroad route through the central Rockies, John C. Freemont and Company reached Parowan February 6, 1854.
These are Freemont's own words, "We were all so feeble we could barely drag ourselves down the trail, but the Mormons . . . — — Map (db m59610) HM
Early Settlers of Parowan. Horace Fish born 6 Jan 1799 Hatley, Stanstead, Quebec, Son of joseph and Sally Spear Fish. Married Hannah Leavitt on 18 July 1825. Hannah Leavitt born 26 Dec 1850 in Johnsbury, Caledonia County, Vermont, daughter of . . . — — Map (db m2253) HM
The Parowan Dramatic Association was organized in 1851 with Edward Dalton president, Jessie V. Smith, Joseph, Jane and Annie Fish, David and Wm. Cluff, Wm. C. McGregor and Ed Ward, members. Plays were produced in Log Council House and Rock Church . . . — — Map (db m59615) HM
1807–1857. As a young man, Parley P. Pratt left his farming roots to become a traveling preacher, during which time he was converted and baptized into the Mormon Church. As a faithful saint, Pratt went on a number of Church missions, . . . — — Map (db m1424) HM
On this site, in 1862 the first Cotton Factory was erected in the west. Designed and operated by William Marsden and owned by Ebenezer Hanks. Here the first ball of Cotton Yarn was made west of the Mississippi River.
Girls That Worked in the . . . — — Map (db m59601) HM
Wife of apostle Amasa Mason Lyman "Aunt Pliny" was Parowan's first doctor and midwife. She was sent by Brigham Young to care for the Parowan pioneers. "Aunt Pliny" was a woman of great faith, one whose testimony and resolve blessed the lives of . . . — — Map (db m59579) HM
This church built of sandstone brought from Parowan Canyon, started in 1863 and completed about 1876, was the religious center of Parowan Valley. The large amusement hall in the basement was used for school and dances. A stage was erected in the . . . — — Map (db m59613) HM
Parowan was founded January 13, 1851 by settlers from northern communities under the leadership of George A. Smith. Among the early structures were a large liberty pole and a sundial.
This marker designates the site of the community sundial . . . — — Map (db m59612) HM
At Parowan, a pioneer industrial center was settled in 1851. Water for manufacturing and industry was carried by wooden flume from the canyon to the fort. Along this water line industries were established known as the Public Works. Among these were . . . — — Map (db m59574) HM
In 1849, the Southern Expedition led by Parley P. Pratt, left Salt Lake City with instructions from Mormon President Brigham Young to search for colonization sites and iron ore deposits. Pratt, a Mormon explorer, led 50 men on an extensive . . . — — Map (db m1423) HM
Southern Utah Expedition of 1849
Realizing the limited resources for pioneer settlements in the Salt Lake Valley and surrounding settlements in 1849, and the potential of many more immigrants arriving in the next few years, Brigham Young . . . — — Map (db m59582) HM
Between 1829 and 1848, traders from Santa Fe used the Spanish Trail which passed through Parowan to transfer dry goods and captured Indian slaves to Los Angles, where they were exchanged for horses.
The trail was pioneered between 1776 and 1831 . . . — — Map (db m59580) HM
Constructed c. 1895, the William and Julia Lyman House is a type known as a central passage, where a central hallway divides the two equally sized main-floor rooms. The Lyman House is one of only a few of this type remaining in Parowan. The central . . . — — Map (db m59600) HM
A convert of 1831
Utah Pioneer 1850
Settled in Springville
Called to the Dixie Mission 1861
Moved to Summit 1872
Children by Catherine Stoker
John Riley - Sarah Ann
Barbara Adlinda - Sylvanus Cyrus
Sylvester Silas - Cathryn . . . — — Map (db m59572) HM