Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Juab County Utah Historical Markers

 
“Old” L.D.S. Church Meetinghouse Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, June 15, 2014
“Old” L.D.S. Church Meetinghouse Marker
Utah (Juab County), Eureka — N-236-9 — “Old” L.D.S. Church Meetinghouse Utah Historic Site
This building, designed by architect Richard C. Watkins, served as the Eureka L.D.S. Ward Meetinghouse from its construction in 1902 until 1976. It was dedicated in 1903 by Apostle Reed Smoot. The Gothic Revival Style building has been an important . . . — Map (db m75369) HM
Utah (Juab County), Eureka — N-236-4 — B.P.O.E. Block, Elk Lodge #711 Eureka Historic District
Constructed in 1909-1910 by the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Tintic Lodge #711 was designed by architects, Richard C. Watkins and John F. Birch and built by contractor, Martin E. Anderson, a Logan contractor. Cost of the building was . . . — Map (db m75428) HM
Utah (Juab County), Eureka — N-236-2 — Eureka City Hall Utah Historic Site
The Eureka City Hall was built in 1899 by the Eureka City government and functioned as the offices for city court, mayor, sheriff, recorder, treasurer, council chamber and city volunteer fire department. John J. Pilgrim, a city official, drew the . . . — Map (db m75426) HM
Utah (Juab County), Eureka — N-236-10 — Eureka Post Office Eureka Historic District
The Eureka Post Office was constructed in 1922 by the United States Government for the commercial center of the Tintic Mining District. James A. Wetmore served as “Acting Supervisory Architect.” The structure represents the only example . . . — Map (db m75371) HM
Utah (Juab County), Eureka — N-236 — Eureka United Methodist Church Utah Historic Site
Constructed in 1891 with funds secured from the local Methodists and the Mission Conference of 1890, this building is important in documenting the religious life of Eureka and Tintic. Methodism began in Tintic when Dr. Thomas C. Iliff visited and . . . — Map (db m75370) HM
Utah (Juab County), Eureka — N-236-3 — Juab County Courthouse Utah Historic Site
The Juab County Courthouse, built in 1891 for $5,000, served as the City Hall until 1899 when Eureka City Hall was built. This courthouse served as a jail for the county and much of the time for the city. It still functions as a County Courthouse . . . — Map (db m75431) HM
Utah (Juab County), Eureka — N-236-6 — McCornick and Company Bank Eureka Historic District
This building was constructed in 1909 to serve as the new home of McCornick and Company bankers and has continued to the present to serve as a bank. McCornick and Company first came to Eureka in 1898, when they moved their bank, fixtures and all, . . . — Map (db m75430) HM
Utah (Juab County), Eureka — N-236-7 — Old Eureka Post Office Eureka Historic District
Built circa 1894, this building served as the town post office until 1922, when a new post office building was constructed. In 1926 a merchandising company, known as "Everybody's" occupied the building. It is a good example of the commercial . . . — Map (db m75429) HM
Utah (Juab County), Eureka — N-236-1 — St. Patrick's Catholic Church Utah Historic Site
St. Patrick's Catholic Church, built in 1885, remains as one of the oldest Catholic Churches in Utah. Constructed under the direction of Reverend Denis Keily, the building represents both importance of Irish settlement in Tintic, as well as the . . . — Map (db m75432) HM
Utah (Juab County), Eureka — N-236-1 — The Bullion Beck & Champion Mining Company Headframe
This monument has two markers Plaque A: (Side of monument) Bullion Beck and Champion Mining Company Headframe This massive sixty-five foot Montana-type headframe is the only remnant of the Bullion Beck and Champion Mining . . . — Map (db m75433) HM
Utah (Juab County), Eureka — 512 — Tintic Mining District
The discovery of the outcrop of the Sunbeam Lode and the subsequent organization of the Tintic Mining District on December 13, 1869, was the beginning of a mining district which ultimately became world-famous. The name is in honor of the Ute Indian . . . — Map (db m75338) HM
Utah (Juab County), Eureka — Union Pacific Railroad Depot Eureka Train Depot
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m75372) HM
Utah (Juab County), Levan — 407 — Levan
Spring 1867, Church leader Erastus Snow helped select a new site for Chicken Creek Settlement, relocated due to unfavorable living conditions. Brigham Young named it Levan. Snow appointed Wm. Morgan and James Wilson as supervisors. Early in 1868, . . . — Map (db m75457) HM
Utah (Juab County), Levan — Rolling Out Of The Past
In 1902, construction began on a dam to supply much needed irrigation water to a very dry western Millard County. Fifteen exhausting years later, Yuba Dam was completed. The water share holders were assessed $5 per share to pay for building . . . — Map (db m75458) HM
Utah (Juab County), Levan — 387 — The Walker War
In July 1853, a trade of fish for flour between an Indian and Mrs. James Ivie, ended in a skirmish; one Indian died, Chief Walker refused peace offer of ponies, beef, flour and blankets unless Mr. Ivie stood trial by Indians; raids began. Colonel . . . — Map (db m75456) HM
Utah (Juab County), Mammoth — N-236-8 — Mammoth Fire Station Utah Historic Site
This structure, constructed c. 1930, is significant for it's association with the history of firefighting in Mammoth. In August 1912, the Mammoth City Council organized a volunteer firefighting unit, and on August 27, 1912, the first meeting of the . . . — Map (db m75443) HM
Utah (Juab County), Mammoth — Site of the Tintic Hospital (1902 - 1933)
Built as a boarding house in 1893 and converted to a hospital in 1902. The Tintic Hospital served the people of the Tintic mining district until 1933. Originally operated by Drs. Mott, Townsend and Stephens, it was purchased by Dr. Steele . . . — Map (db m75442) HM
Utah (Juab County), Mona — Mona Bicentennial Memorial Park
In memory of our Mona School and the dedicated teachers, board members, custodians, students and citizens who made it great; we have built this monument from sandstone and brick recovered therefrom. The bell hereon, signaled the beginning of school . . . — Map (db m75280) HM
Utah (Juab County), Mona — 29 — Old Pioneer Cemetery
This monument is erected in memory of the pioneers buried here. There are about 20, whose resting place surrounds this monument. The first grave was that of Nancy Maria Biglow Love, who died November 27, and was buried November 28, 1852. . . . — Map (db m75292) HM
Utah (Juab County), Nephi — 434 — Burraston Ponds
Burraston Ponds was the campsite of the Escalante Expedition, 27 September 1776, from Santa Fe to the Utah Basin. Father Escalante mapped this area and named this spring "Ojo de San Pablo" or Eye of Saint Paul. The great Indian chiefs before . . . — Map (db m75277) HM
Utah (Juab County), Nephi — 196 — Early Schools
The first settlers arrived here in 1851. A one room building was erected and used for Church and School in 1852. Candice Smith and George Spencer and wife were teachers. In 1855 a schoolhouse was erected inside the fort and early teachers were: . . . — Map (db m75271) HM
Utah (Juab County), Nephi — 459 — Juab Co. Jail
This building has two markers Daughters of Utah Pioneers Marker Prisoners from Juab county were first held in the basement of the Social Hall that stood on the corner of Center Street and Second East in Nephi. The next jail . . . — Map (db m75270) HM
Utah (Juab County), Nephi — Oscar M. Booth House
Constructed in 1893 by Oscar M. Booth, this house is an excellent example of the Queen Anne architectural style in Utah. Some identifying features of the home include its side-hall plan, asymmetrical massing, long wrap-around porch, and the . . . — Map (db m75268) HM
Utah (Juab County), Nephi — 11 — Salt Creek Canyon Massacre
This monument replaces one previously erected (that crumbled through weather conditions) by Langley A. Bailey, Sr., Jacob Bowers and Henry Knowles in memory of the following pioneers: Jens Jergensen and wife, Jens Terkelsen and Christian E. Kjerulf . . . — Map (db m75247) HM
Utah (Juab County), Nephi — 2 — Salt Creek Fort
Completed in November 1854 by the Pioneers of Salt Creek (Nephi) for protection against Indians. The inclosure was 3 blocks square, from 1st West to 2nd East and from 1st North to 2nd South Streets. Markers have been placed at the corners. The . . . — Map (db m75272) HM
Utah (Juab County), Nephi — 499 — The Old Mill Wheel
In 1859, John Hoile established a flour gristmill at First South between First and Second East. The mill consisted of a small one-story frame building. On June 20, 1870, the mill was bought by John Hague who operated it until he died in 1900. The . . . — Map (db m75269) HM

26 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement