442nd Regimental Combat Team, 100th Infantry Battalion, Military Intelligence Service (MIS)
Formed during World War II, these three US Military units were comprised of Japanese-American young men from the US mainland, Hawaii and from ten . . . — — Map (db m1332) HM
The Relief Society in Deseret was first organized in September of 1877. This group of women met in each other's homes until 1878, when they had a large, one-room adobe hall built. In 1894 the members of the Relief Society decided they should . . . — — Map (db m69541) HM
Father Escalante camped here October 2, 1776. His exploring party of ten men headed by Father Francisco Dominguez and map-maker Pacheco preached to the Indians and charted a northern route between Santa Fe, New Mexico and Monterey, California. They . . . — — Map (db m1439) HM
Erected as a defense against Pahvant Indians in the Black Hawk War, completed in 18 days by 98 men. Wm. S. Hawley and Isaac W. Pierce, foremen; John W. Radford, Supt. Opening celebration July 25, 1865. The fort was 550 feet square, bastions at . . . — — Map (db m69542) HM
In 1853, Captain John W. Gunnison was selected to lead an expedition to find a trans-continental railroad route. He followed the Old Spanish Trail through Salina Canyon, over the mountains to Pahvant Valley, and upon reaching Fillmore, visited his . . . — — Map (db m69536) HM
Constructed November 1907 – January 1908 by Henry McCullough, his two sons and son-in-law, of logs hauled 30 miles from Fillmore. Delta's first Post Office -- January 1908 - March 1912. — — Map (db m69545) HM
This pioneer cabin was built in December 1907 by Henry J. McCullough and was the second house in the town of Melville. One month later January 18, 1908, the first Post Office was established and the name changed to Burtner. Adjoining this cabin, on . . . — — Map (db m69546) HM
Fifteen miles west at Abraham is the location of the bleak desert site of a concentration camp, one of ten in Western America, in which 110,000 persons of Japanese ancestry were interned against their will during World War II. They were the victims . . . — — Map (db m1438) HM
Over 120,000 Japanese-American, two thirds of whom are U.S. citizens, are uprooted from their west coast homes and incarcerated by their own government. It is 1942, wartime hysteria is at a peak. They are imprisoned in ten inland concentration camps . . . — — Map (db m1270) HM
In 1849, after a peace treaty was signed between Mexico and the United States, Congress was petitioned to admit the State of Desert to the Union. However, this petition was denied and the Organic Act of September 9, 1850, created the Utah Territory. . . . — — Map (db m69578) HM
The written history of the Intermountain Region begins in 1776 with the remarkably accurate diary of Father Escalante, a Spanish Franciscan priest. He and Father Dominguez, together with eight companions, were the first white men known to have been . . . — — Map (db m69579) HM
This sandstone house was built by a local contractor for Edward Partridge, Jr., in 1871. Partridge moved to Utah with his mother and other family members in 1848. His father, who died in 1840, was the first bishop of the LDS Church. Edward was . . . — — Map (db m69584) HM
This marks the Southwest corner of the Fort, built in October and November 1851 as protection from Indians, by first 17 families under direction of Anson Call, Jesse W. Fox, surveyor. About 2 city blocks in size, the front wall 8 to 10 feet high was . . . — — Map (db m69583) HM
These stones, quarried in Chalk Creek and hauled by oxen in 1854, were used in the foundation of the two-storied 30 x 40 adobe church building located in the Pioneer Fort one half block east of Main Street. Remodeled into one 30 x 60 hall with oval . . . — — Map (db m69580) HM
There are three markers on this kioskCenter Marker
The Ute Domain
First described by Spanish explorers as the YUTA Indians (pronounced Ute-ah), the ancestors of the Ute people are thought to have migrated from the . . . — — Map (db m75470) HM
Fillmore was settled in 1851. Before the close of the first year the Pioneers had erected a log school room inside the fort. It had split logs for seats, a dirt roof and floor. In 1854 an adobe church was built which also served as school. In 1867 . . . — — Map (db m69581) HM
Creating Fillmore City and Millard County the Territorial Legislature of Utah selected Pahvant Valley, as Capitol site October 29, 1851. This spot was selected by Governor Brigham Young. Construction work began in 1852. Truman O. Angell, architect . . . — — Map (db m1277) HM
In 1889 the first school was held in the Benjamin W. Scott home located a mile south of the Hinckley Park. It was often referred to as "The Old Mud Temple." In 1934 this monument was placed on the site of the building by the Boy Scouts and the . . . — — Map (db m69540) HM
Erected 1855-56, was 150 feet long north and south by 75 feet wide. Facing each other and standing 30 feet apart were two rows of adobe houses. The gateways were in the north and south walls.
Richard Johnson and William Stevens, Sr. and families . . . — — Map (db m69575) HM
Bell was originally mounted in the steeple of Holden Ward Chapel dedicated in 1883. The bell was rung 30 minutes before Church services were to begin, also rung on special occasions.
Present bell tower erected as a reminder to present and future . . . — — Map (db m69577) HM
Established by Mormon Pioneers in 1855, as Fort Cedar Springs. Church President Brigham Young gave permit for the families of William Stevens Sr. and Richard Johnson to start a settlement near these grassy, spring-fed cedar hills.
Joined that . . . — — Map (db m69574) HM
The townsite of Kanosh selected by Brigham Young was surveyed in 1867. The first settlers were Noah Avery, William Penney and Baldwin Watts. Upon advice from Brigham Young, families from Petersburg, Corn Creek, added strength to the new settlement. . . . — — Map (db m75517) HM
These charcoal ovens are evidence of a historic man using natural resources. Reminders, which once upon a time, formed the basis of a mans industrial enterprise. In 1882 that man, George Morrison, hired Nicholas Paul to build four charcoal ovens. . . . — — Map (db m34859) HM
These charcoal ovens are evidence of a historic man using the natural resources. Reminders, which once upon a time formed the basis of a man's industrial enterprise. In 1882, that man, George Morrison hired Nicolas Paul to build four charcoal ovens. . . . — — Map (db m80117) HM
Walkara, Ute Indian chieftan, was one of the principal Indian chiefs when the Mormons first entered this area in 1848. Feared from California to New Mexico, he was a remarkably sly chief, daring horse thief, savage slave trader, furious enemy, . . . — — Map (db m75514) HM
The first settlers, James and Janet Duncan with four other families came in 1857, lived in dugouts on the ridge one mile west. In 1859 a culinary water problem caused them to move east where ten families began the settlement of Meadow, so named for . . . — — Map (db m75515) HM
Charles Taysom built this cabin at this location in 1866.
Restored by the descendants of Charles & Mariah Taysom.
Dedicated in memory of their pioneer sacrifices and endurance, 2002. — — Map (db m69585) HM
Oak City was named after Oak Creek, a sparkling mountain stream meandering through scrub oak and gray sagebrush. It provided water, the lifeblood of this community.
Founded in 1868 by pioneers who had formerly . . . — — Map (db m69573) HM
Built in 1935, the Scipio Town Hall is one of over 230 public works buildings constructed in Utah under various New Deal programs during the Depression years of the 1930's and 40's. The types of buildings constructed included schools, county . . . — — Map (db m75461) HM
In 1860, thirteen Latter-day Saint families settled Round Valley. Brigham Young visited them in May, 1863, and advised, because of Indians, they move their settlement away from the mountain area. He accompanied the men to the center of the valley, . . . — — Map (db m75459) HM