The two prominent buttes in the distance are called the Bears Ears. Several native American groups, including the Navajos, Utes, and Pueblos, consider this area sacred and include it in their oral traditions.
One of the more popular Navajo . . . — — Map (db m93095) HM
This location marks the second encounter of one of the last Indian uprisings in the United States. Posey and his Piute followers helped 2 young braves escape from the Blanding jail. At this site the pursuing posse closed in, Posey opened fire and . . . — — Map (db m95047) HM
Welcome to “Hovenweep.” It is a Paiute and Ute word meaning “deserted valley.” It was the name given this extraordinary place by pioneer photographer William H. Jackson, who visited here in 1874. It’s an apt description. As . . . — — Map (db m71464) HM
Kachina (Ka-cheé-na) Bridge was named for the Hopi kachina spirits which frequently displayed lightning snake symbols on their bodies. Similar snake patterns were carved by prehistoric people on the base of Kachina Bridge.
Kachina Bridge is the . . . — — Map (db m93017) HM
Mule Canyon Ruin is an open Anasazi habitation site consisting of both above- and below-ground structures. This site was first occupied briefly in the Pueblo I time period (about A.D. 750) but the main occupation was during the Pueblo II and Pueblo . . . — — Map (db m95153) HM
Owachomo (O-wá-cho-mo) is a Hopi Indian word for rock mound. On the upper left side of the bridge is a rock outcrop which suggested the name for the bridge.
Owachomo Bridge looks different from either Sipapu or Kachina Bridge. Because Owachomo . . . — — Map (db m93094) HM
December 23, 1879 “The snow fell about eight inches...”
December 24, 1879 “... we had cooked the last food we had, consisting of a slap jack baked in a frying pan and about one inch thick.”
December 25, 1879 “ it . . . — — Map (db m95154) HM
A canal was surveyed from Johnson Creek on Blue Mountain to White Mesa; in 1902-3 lots were staked for homes. Two years later Albert R. Lyman and Family pitched first tent and settled one block west of this site. In 1907 a tent school was . . . — — Map (db m95062) HM
Several names have been given to the bridges over the years. Sipapu (Seé-pa-pu) has had at least two other names—President and Augusta—but these were later changed. Cliff dwellings and rock art in the area reminded William Douglass, the . . . — — Map (db m93093) HM
Over 700 years ago, Little Ruin Canyon was the scene of a sizable ancestral Pueblo community. Sustained by a small spring at the head of the canyon and rainwater held behind check dams on the mesa top, they flourished in what we would consider a . . . — — Map (db m71468) HM
Prior to surveyors setting the four Corners Monument this boundless land was inhabited by the Ancestral Puebloans, followed by the Dine, Ute and other indigenous people. Over time, this land was claimed by Spain, taken in war by Mexico, ceded to the . . . — — Map (db m36526) HM
In 1883, Cass Hite wandered up White Canyon from his mining claim on the Colorado River and “discovered” three stone bridges. He brought them to the attention of area residents and the scientific community. Nowhere else had three such . . . — — Map (db m132275) HM
Official outlet of ZCMI (Zion's Co-operative Mercantile Institution), "America's First Department Store". This building housed the Grayson City Co-op from 1918 to 1939 when the name was changed to Parley Redd Mercantile. Both companies were part of . . . — — Map (db m95063) HM
A blacksmith shop with a skilled blacksmith was a necessity. Amasa Barton (Joseph Barton's brother) was kept busy fitting horseshoes, repairing wagons and making , sharpening and repairing everything from farming implement to carpentry tools.
In . . . — — Map (db m95040) HM
William H. Jackson of the United States Geological and Geographical survey conducted the first formal archeological exploration of the Comb Ridge area. Originating in the Colorado Territory, Jackson and his team reached Comb Ridge by following . . . — — Map (db m95034) HM
As winter storm approached, four nearly starved scouts, George Hobbs, George Morrill, Lemuel Redd, Sr. and George Sevey, sought shelter for the night in this area on December 27, 1879. The scouts were exploring for a feasible route for the 250 . . . — — Map (db m95035) HM
In honor of her courage, faith, compassion, friendship, love, and medical service to the greater Bluff community from 1882-1906.
In addition to serving the children as Bluff's Primary president for 25 years, Josephine Wood was called by Bishop . . . — — Map (db m95037) HM
The Jones log cabin was located in the northwest corner of the fort. Near the turn of the century, the Joneses constructed an elegant stone home adjacent to their original cabin. Fire destroyed the Jones home in 1975.
In 1896, a gold rush brought . . . — — Map (db m95038) HM
In 1879, at age 17, Parley R. Butt was one of 26 men who scouted possible routes for the San Juan Mission and established Montezuma Fort. A few months later, he traveled with the main group of pioneers as they blazed the Hole-in-the-Rock road. In . . . — — Map (db m95041) HM
Upon the pioneers' arrival in the Bluff valley, water for cooking and drinking was carried from the San Juan River. According to Mary Mackelprang Jones, water from the San Juan “O was so hard and muddy cottonwood ashes were put in it to stand . . . — — Map (db m95039) HM
The community's co-op store was located in the northeast corner of the fort. This cooperative venture, which provided a means for buying, selling and trading, became very successful. The Navajos and Utes also frequented the store, trading their . . . — — Map (db m95036) HM
Bluff was the first settlement of the white man in San Juan County and its first county seat. It was founded April 6, 1880 by the San Juan Mission "called" by the L.D.S. Church to establish friendly relations with the Indians. A small band of . . . — — Map (db m95043) HM
The first Postal Service was established at La Sal on September 12, 1878. La Sal was made an outpost on the mail route from Salina, Utah to Ouray, Colorado. It was described as one of the strangest and most dangerous routes in the history of the . . . — — Map (db m95121) HM
The first white settlers of the region were cattlemen. Cattle were first introduced into the San Juan County-Blue Mountain area during the 1870s. Large numbers of the animals were placed on the thousands of acres of lush grasses which grew in the . . . — — Map (db m95129) HM
This location has been a travelers’ resting place for two centuries. Beginning in 1829, horse teams on the Old Spanish Trail between Santa Fe and California stopped here for the abundant spring water and shade. After the settlement of Mormon . . . — — Map (db m92547) HM
This Home was constructed by Joseph Henry Wood between 1916-18 in the Arts and Crafts style of wood and sandstone quarried from a site near south Creek four miles southwest of Monticello. The stone cutting, dressing, and laying was supervised by Ed . . . — — Map (db m95123) HM
This original log cabin is representative of the housing of the early pioneers in the area. It was first occupied by three brothers, Warren, John, and Scotty Williamson during the 1880s in Dry Valley., Utah. It is believed that the Williamson . . . — — Map (db m95125) HM
March 12, 1887 Frederick I. Jones, Farley R. Butt, Charles E. Walton and George A. Adams came here to start the L.D.S. Blue Mountain Mission. After their families arrived they camped at Verdure the first summer. In 1888 the families of M. Peterson, . . . — — Map (db m95124) HM
Newspaper Rock is a petroglyph panel etched in sandstone that records approximately 2,000 years of early man's activities. Prehistoric peoples, probably from the Archoic, Basketmaker, Fremont and Pueblo cultures, etched on the rock from B.C. to . . . — — Map (db m4615) HM
This log church is a replica of the first church in Monticello. The original church, built in 188 for religious worship, also became the core of community activities. It was a school, a refuge for the homeless, a place to dance, a site for public . . . — — Map (db m95126) HM
Hispanics have a very long history in the Southwest, dating back to the early 1600s. The Old Spanish Trail trade from Santa Fe, New Mexico, to California, passed through San Juan County near Monticello. There were no supply stations nor permanent . . . — — Map (db m95127) HM
Kane Springs, San Juan County, was a major water stop along the historic Spanish Trail, in use from 1829 to 1848. Large trade caravans halted here and drank from the abundant spring waters. In autumn months, pack trains carried woolen textiles and . . . — — Map (db m95080) HM
The oldest Mormon settlement in the Blue Mountain Region was first known as South Montezuma. Later the name was changed to Verdure after the lush green growth along the stream bed. Verdure was settled by men of the Blue Mountain Mission March 11, . . . — — Map (db m95065) HM
Wilson Arch was named after Joe Wilson, a local pioneer who had a cabin nearby in Dry Valley. This formation is known as Entrada Sandstone. Over time superficial cracks, joints, and folds of these layers were saturated with water. Ice formed in the . . . — — Map (db m39260) HM
Wooden Shoe Arch, visible on the horizon, formed thousands of years ago, yet the rock it's made from is much older.
Three hundred million years ago, an inland sea flooded this area. As the sea evaporated, it left behind a great salt basin . . . — — Map (db m132300) HM