Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Vermont

570 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 370
 
Canada Geese Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., October 7, 2017
Canada Geese Marker
Vermont (Addison County), Addison — Canada Geese
On Vermont Route 17W 1.7 miles west of Vermont Route 22A, on the left when traveling west.

Canada geese assemble at Dead Creek from many locations within eastern North America. They are attracted to this management area because of the protection offered by the refuge and the excellent combination of forage fields and water. Fall . . . — Map (db m109247) HM

Vermont (Addison County), Addison — Chimney Point
On Vermont Route 125 at Vermont Route 17, on the right when traveling east on State Route 125.
This strategic point on Lake Champlain was occupied by Native Americans for thousands of years. In 1690 Jacobus deWarm build a small stone fort here. The French build a wooden stockade in 1731, erecting Fort St. Frederic across the lake in 1734. . . . — Map (db m85414) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Addison — DAR John Strong Mansion
On Vermont Route 17 1.4 miles north of Vermont Route 125, on the left when traveling north.
General John Strong was a Revolutionary War patriot and a prominent early citizen of Addison County. He served as a judge, state legislator and represented Addison at the State Convention, which adopted the Constitution of the United States and . . . — Map (db m85231) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Addison — Northern Terminal of the Crown Point Military Road
On Vermont Route 17, on the right when traveling north.

Near this spot on the shore of the lake was the Northern Terminal of the Crown Point Military Road built by Gen. Amherst, in 1759 — Map (db m109079) HM

Vermont (Addison County), Addison — Snow Geese
On Vermont Route 17W 1.7 miles west of Vermont Route 22A, on the left when traveling west.

Snow geese are relatively new to the Dead Creek refuge, having begun to use the area as recently as 1981. Their numbers have continued to increase annually, and peak populations present here in mid-October exceed 20,000 birds.

Snow geese do . . . — Map (db m109245) HM

Vermont (Addison County), Addison — The Dead Creek Wildlife Management Area
On Vermont Route 17W 1.7 miles west of Vermont Route 22A, on the left when traveling west.

The Dead Creek Wildlife Management Area (WMA) was established in 1950 to provide breeding and migrational habitat for waterfowl. It is owned by the State of Vermont and managed by the Fish and Wildlife Department. Acquisition and development . . . — Map (db m109246) HM

Vermont (Addison County), Addison — War MemorialVictory • Peace
On Vermont Route 22A at Vermont Route 17W, on the right when traveling south on State Route 22A.

(front)

Addison Remembers Her Heroes

1771 - Revolutionary War - 1778 [Honor Roll of Veterans]

1812 - War With England - 1814 [Honor Roll of Veterans]

1861 - Civil War - 1865 [Died in Service] Joseph . . . — Map (db m109277) WM

Vermont (Addison County), Addison — Wetland Resources
On Vermont Route 17W 1.7 miles west of Vermont Route 22A, on the left when traveling west.

As the name implies, "wetlands" are wet areas characterized by soils that are permanently or seasonally saturated with water. They contain a variety of plants, shrubs and trees which have adapted to living in a wet environment. Wetlands are . . . — Map (db m109244) HM

Vermont (Addison County), Bridport — Hathorne SchoolBridport District Schoolhouse #1
On Vermont Route 125 at Basin Harbor Road, on the left when traveling west on State Route 125.
Erected c. 1864, this one-room schoolhouse served hundreds of children in Bridport for nearly a century. Originally founded as the first district school in Bridport, it later became known as Hathorne School, reflecting the name of a nearby . . . — Map (db m96475) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Bridport — War Memorial
On Middle Road west of Vermont Route 22A, on the left when traveling west.

Dedicated to the men and women of the Community of Bridport who devotedly served their country in all wars — Map (db m109278) WM

Vermont (Addison County), Cornwall — Cornwall Remembers1861-1865
On Vermont Route 30 at Fisher Street, on the right when traveling south on State Route 30.
South Side inscription: Died in Hospital: Sergt. Romeo R. Peck Nelson Baxter Loyal Darling Adams H. Potter Emerson Mayo Ja's E. Fenton Hung by Guerillas Alva K. Barlow North and West side inscriptions . . . — Map (db m136370) WM
Vermont (Addison County), Cornwall — William Slade / The Gag Rule1786–1857 / 1836–1844
William Slade was one of Vermont’s great public servants and an ardent abolitionist. Born when Vermont was an independent republic, he died just before the Civil War.

A graduate of Middlebury College admitted to the bar in 1810, Slade was a . . . — Map (db m135841) HM

Vermont (Addison County), Ferrisburgh — "Rokeby"Home of Rowland E. Robinson Writer of Vermont Folklore
On U.S. 7, on the right when traveling north.
Here in 1833, Rowland E. Robinson was born of Quaker parentage. He became a popular illustrator and interpreter of nature and Yankee dialect. "Rokeby" was a station on the "Underground R.R." Here are the blind author’s memorabilia. Open to the . . . — Map (db m75967) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Ferrisburgh — The Great Convention
On U.S. 7 at Middlebrook Road on U.S. 7.
Frederick Douglass delivered a fiery abolitionist speech here in July 1843. Born in slavery in Maryland, Douglass freed himself by escaping to the north, where he became a tireless crusader for African American freedom and equality. He was among . . . — Map (db m95449) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Birthplace of Ray Fisher
On Court Street (U.S. 7) at Creek Road, on the right when traveling south on Court Street.
Born in Middlebury on October 4, 1887, Ray Lyle Fisher grew up on farms along Otter Creek and Creek Road. Ray starred in baseball and football at Middlebury High School and Middlebury College before joining the New York Yankees in 1910. He pitched . . . — Map (db m75987) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Charter House
On North Pleasant Street (U.S. 7) at Main Street, on the right when traveling north on North Pleasant Street.
In this house, the home of SAMUEL MILLER, ESQ. September 30, 1798 Timothy Dwight, President of Yale College, counseled with Gamaliel Painter and other citizens of Middlebury concerning the founding of Middlebury College. This conference led to the . . . — Map (db m76001) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Court Square
From 1796 to 1814 Court Square was the site of the first Addison County Courthouse, which also served as the seat of the Vermont Legislature (1800, 1806), and home of Middlebury’s first female academy (1800). Here in June 1804 a New York slaveholder . . . — Map (db m135859) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Emma WillardPioneer educator gave women first college training here
On Court Square (U.S. 7), in the median.
Emma Hart came to Middlebury in 1807 to take charge of the Female Academy. After her marriage to Dr. John Willard, the town’s first physician, she gave the earliest collegiate instruction for women in America at a Seminary in her home, during the . . . — Map (db m75983) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Emma Willard Memorial
On North Pleasant Street (U.S. 7) at Main Street, on the left when traveling north on North Pleasant Street.
Front side of marker In memory of Emma Hart Willard who wrote at Middlebury in 1818 the Magna Carta for higher education of women in America. Rear side of marker Education should seek to bring its subjects to the perfection of . . . — Map (db m136530) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — John DeereInventor of "The Plow that Broke the Plains"
On Main Street 0.1 miles south of Mill Street, on the right when traveling south.
John Deere learned the blacksmith trade here as an apprentice in the shop of Capt. Benjamin Lawrence from 1821 to 1825. The shop was located below this spot on Mill Street, in what is known as "Frog Hollow". In 1836 Deere removed to Grand Detour, . . . — Map (db m77845) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Middlebury Civil War Memorial
On Merchants Row at South Pleasant Street, in the median on Merchants Row.
To her Soldiers — Map (db m136390) WM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Middlebury War Memorial
Near Court Street (U.S. 7) at Court Square, on the left when traveling west.
(side 1) Middlebury In The 1861—Civil War—1865 Joseph Alexander • Henry W. Bennett • Merrill Bentley Bertrand W. Billings • John Brunelle • Michael Burke John Caffrey • Roderick A. Champlin • . . . — Map (db m136571) WM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Samuel Miller, Esq.September 30,1798
On North Pleasant Street (U.S. 7) at Main Street, on the right when traveling north on North Pleasant Street.
In this house, the home of Samuel Miller, Esq., Timothy Dwight, president of Yale College, counseled with Gamaliel Painter and other citizens of Middlebury concerning the founding of Middlebury College. This conference led to the granting of the . . . — Map (db m136473) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — The Addison County Courthouse
On Court Street (U.S. 7) near Washington Street, in the median.
In 1792, the Vermont Legislature ensured Middlebury’s future prominence by choosing it as the site for Addison County courts. Three courthouses have been built in this area. The original clapboard courthouse shown on the right in the photograph, was . . . — Map (db m136662) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — The Battell Block
On Main Street at Merchants Row, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.
Built from the Ashes Middlebury's Main Street has been the commercial center of the town since its founding, but its character has changed many times, largely due to that great public enemy of the era-fire. In the first half of the . . . — Map (db m136661) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Town & Gown
On Cross Street at Main Street (Vermont Route 30), on the right when traveling west on Cross Street.
The Shire Town Middlebury was chartered in 1761 as one of New Hampshire Governor Benning Wentworth’s land grants. The first settlers claimed land in the town in 1766, but were forced back to southern New England during the Revolutionary War. . . . — Map (db m136535) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — American Blockhouse – 1777Mount Independence State Historic Site
Near Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling south.
“I have also provided timber for two Blockhouses.” - Col. Anthony Wayne, February 4, 1777 In the summer and fall of 1776 American forces concentrated on fortifying the northern point of the rocky Mount Independence . . . — Map (db m19321) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — British Blockhouse - 1777Mount Independence State Historic Site
Near Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling south.
“Blockhouses, none of them finished.” - Lt. John Starke, Royal Navy, September 1777 After the British captured Mount Independence on July 6, 1777, their military engineers decided to build six new blockhouses to augment . . . — Map (db m19332) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Burial SiteMount Independence State Historic Site
Near Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling south.
“ . . . this Day there was two men Buried from our Regt.” - Lt. Jonathan Burton, October 4, 1776 This small stone, engraved “N. Richardson of Staddard Eng died 1760,” may mark the only identified grave on . . . — Map (db m17849) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Fort Ticonderoga and Mount DefianceMount Independence State Historic Site
Near Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling south.
“ . . . a perfect mousetrap.” - Col. Alexander Scammell, September 21, 1777 From here are seen nearly all the powerful forces of nature that made this spot on Lake Champlain the Gibraltar of the North as well as its . . . — Map (db m17846) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Foundation -1776 or 1777Mount Independence State Historic Site — What do you think? - —
Near Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling south.
This is one of the best-preserved stone foundations on Mount Independence. It was built during the Revolution, but historic maps and documents do not refer to it. Who built it? Did the Americans have time to build it during the two weeks in June . . . — Map (db m19441) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — General Hospital – 1777Mount Independence State Historic Site
Near Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling south.
. . . the new Hospital . . . 250 long & 24 wide.” - Rev. Enos Hitchcock, June 14, 1777 This shallow, dry-laid stone foundation was for the largest building at Mount Independence – a 250-foot long by 24-foot wide, . . . — Map (db m19319) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — German Hut – 1777Mount Independence State Historic Site
Near Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling south.
Our men built huts out of boards to protect themselves from the cold weather.” - Lt. Von Hille, October 22, 1777 During the American occupation from July 1776 to July 1777, soldiers constructed a breastwork of logs and . . . — Map (db m19436) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Heritage Travelers over the Years
Near Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling south.
Some of the intrenchments are still visible.” – John Disturnell, 1857 After the American Revolution, numerous visitors curious to see the places that figured so prominently in the war for independence visited Mount . . . — Map (db m19501) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Lake Champlain and the American RevolutionMount Independence State Historic Site
Near Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling south.
. . . the possession of every thing here depends upon keeping the Command of the Water.” - Maj. Gen. Horatio Gates, July 16, 1776 In front of you is Lake Champlain, at 120 miles long the sixth largest lake in the United . . . — Map (db m19440) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Military Road
On Mt. Independence Road, on the right when traveling west.
Military Road from Mount Independence to Hubbardton 1777 Marked by Hands Cove Chapter D.A.R. 1933 — Map (db m9234) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Mount IndependenceBastion of the Revolution
Near Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling north.
Fortification was begun in June of 1776, and the name Mount Independence was bestowed following the Declaration of Independence. Lieut. Col. Jeduthan Baldwin was the chief construction engineer. Here the exhausted American Army, Northern Department, . . . — Map (db m9275) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Mt. Independence Military RoadRoute to Hubbardton, 1777
On Vermont Route 22A at Main St (County Route 73), on the right when traveling south on State Route 22A. Reported permanently removed.
After Ethan Allen seized Fort Ticonderoga, the Americans built Fort Mt. Independence, northwest from here on the Lake. Following Burgoyne’s invasion, Gen. St Clair evacuated the Forts, retreating across these hills to Hubbardton. Vermont . . . — Map (db m9232) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Mt. Independence Military RoadRoute to Hubbardton - 1777
On Vermont Route 22A at Vermont Route 73, on the right when traveling south on State Route 22A.
This vital American military road to the south of here was built on the September 7, 1776, orders of Gen. Horatio Gates to connect Mount Independence, a new Revolutionary War fortification on Lake Champlain, to Hubbardton, Rutland, and Fort No. 4 . . . — Map (db m97307) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Officers Quarters – 1776Mount Independence State Historic Site
Near Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling south.
“ . . . some of the officers have good framed houses.” - Dr. Lewis Beebe, September 30, 1776 This fifteen-foot square, well-defined stone foundation may be the remains of quarters for one or more American officers in the . . . — Map (db m17863) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Southern Battery – 1777Mount Independence State Historic Site
Near Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling south.
began the works at 3 places on Mount Independence.” - Col. Jeduthan Baldwin, June 20, 1777 On June, 1777, American Chief Engineer Jeduthan Baldwin wrote in his journal, “in the afternoon went with Col. Kosiusko . . . — Map (db m19437) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Southern Defense Trail
On Mount Independence Road, on the left when traveling south.
This walkway is a loop approximately 0.2 mile long with stairs and gentle slopes. It leads you past the remains of a blockhouse (near the parking area), provides a look at the Mount’s rock formations, and provides a vista of the lake south of the . . . — Map (db m19536) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Storehouse - 1776Mount Independence State Historic Site
Near Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling south.
ordered a large Stoer House to be built.” - Col. Jeduthan Baldwin, August 17, 1776 At least one of the storehouses constructed on Mount Independence during the Revolution stood in this area. Portions of the remaining . . . — Map (db m19366) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — The American Southern Defenses – 1776-1777
Near Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling south.
we are Building a Large & Long Breast work on the South Side.” - Pvt. Thomas Killam, August 19, 1776 When the American Northern Army arrived at Ticonderoga in mid-July 1776, the 300-acre peninsula opposite on the Vermont . . . — Map (db m19543) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — Third Brigade Encampment – 1776Mount Independence State Historic Site
Near Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling south.
. . . our Men is clearing the Encamping Ground over the Lake.” - Sgt. Timothy Tuttle, July 23, 1776 In July 1776 Northern Army commander Gen. Horatio Gates organized regiments at Mount Independence and Ticonderoga into . . . — Map (db m19318) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — To Repel the Enemy
Near Mount Independence Road, on the right when traveling south.
The Generals have Fix’d on a spot . . . to be fortified.” - Lt. Col. Matthias Ogden, July 19, 1776 On July 5, 1777, Thomas Anburey, who was traveling with British Lt. Gen. John Burgoyne on Lake Champlain, observed as they . . . — Map (db m19480) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — War Memorial
On Vermont Route 73, on the left when traveling east.

(front) These We Honor Dedicated to the following from the Town of Orwell who served in the Armed Forces of our country

World War II William H. Murray • Franklin F. Phelps Charles D. Wright • George B. Wright . . . — Map (db m109307) WM

Vermont (Addison County), Orwell — World War Memorial
On Main Street (Vermont Route 73), on the left when traveling east.

In honor of the Boys of the Town of Orwell who served in the World War

Theron D. Bishop • Charles D. Collette Linas W. Duffany • Harry M. Fitzgerald Roy G. Phelps • Lawrence H. Ross [Died in Service]

[Honor Roll of . . . — Map (db m109279) WM

Vermont (Addison County), Panton — Benedict Arnold
On Arnold Bay Road 0.2 miles north of Pease Road, on the right when traveling south.
Near this spot on the afternoon of October 13, 1776 in the first important naval engagement of the War for Independence BENEDICT ARNOLDafter a battle in which he had displayed great boldness, gallantry and sagacity ran ashore and burned the . . . — Map (db m76010) HM WM
Vermont (Addison County), Ripton — Robert Frost1874 - 1963
On Vermont Route 125 just west of Frost Road, on the left when traveling east.
A distinguished American poet by recognition and a Vermonter by preference, Robert Frost was Poet Laureate of Vermont and for many years “First Citizen” of the Town of Ripton. He was long associated with the Middlebury College School of . . . — Map (db m37171) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Shoreham — Ethan Allen with Eighty-Three Green Mountain Boys
On Route 74 at Smith Street, on the right when traveling south on Route 74.
From Hands Cove northwest from this spot Ethan Allen with eighty-three Green Mountain Boys embarked for the capture of Fort Ticonderoga May 10 1775

To commemorate one of the most heroic adventures of the Revolution this tablet has been . . . — Map (db m118290) HM

Vermont (Addison County), Shoreham — Larrabee’s Point
On Vermont Route 74, on the right when traveling west.
John Larrabee established the first regular ferry here under a grant from the Vermont Legislature when the only business at the site was his tavern. In 1823, the year that the Champlain Canal opened, Larrabee and Samuel Holley built a store and a . . . — Map (db m15580) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Shoreham — Levi P. MortonStatesman and Banker lived early years in Vermont
On School Road 0.1 miles south of Main Street.
Levi Parsons Morton, son of a minister, was born on this site, May 16, 1824, and for 8 years lived in Shoreham. He became a New York City banker, Member of Congress, Minister to France, Vice-President under President Harrison, and Governor of New . . . — Map (db m95458) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Shoreham — Shoreham Covered Railroad Bridge
Near Shoreham Depot Road.
This Howe truss Railroad Bridge is one of only two covered railroad bridges left in Vermont. It was built in 1897 on the 15.6 mile Addison Branch connecting the Rutland Railroad at Leicester Junction with the Delaware and Hudson at Ticonderoga, New . . . — Map (db m85416) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Vergennes — Commerce at the Crossroads
On Main Street (Vermont Route 22A), on the left when traveling north.
Intersection of Rivers and Roads Imagine traveling hundreds of miles in an ox-drawn wagon along muddy, rock-strewn, deeply rutted roads through the wilderness. In search of new homesteads, early settlers followed the same routes you took to . . . — Map (db m89157) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Vergennes — Commodore Thomas MacdonoughBorn December 1783 — Died November 1825 —
On Main Street (Vermont Route 22A) at Park Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.

Victorious commander of the American Fleet in the naval battle of Plattsburg September 11, 1814 A Gallant Officer An Exemplary Citizen A National Hero

Memorial erected to commemorate the building by Commodore Macdonough . . . — Map (db m109195) HM

Vermont (Addison County), Vergennes — Early Life Along Otter Creek in Vergennes
Near Main Street (Vermont Route 22A), on the right when traveling north.
The Wilderness Shhh. Imagine Otter Creek 300 years ago when it was pristine wilderness. The river teems with fish, herons, ducks and other waterfowl. Deer and moose tracks dot the river's edge. Downed trees, trampled shrubs, and mounds of . . . — Map (db m89155) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Vergennes — Macdonough Shipyard
Near Macdonough Drive 0.3 miles west of Main Street (Vermont Route 22A).
Below the Otter Creek Falls was the site of Thomas Macdonough's shipyard, where the U.S.S. Saratoga was built in 40 days and other ships launched that defeated the British at the Battle of Plattsburgh, 1814. — Map (db m75977) HM WM
Vermont (Addison County), Vergennes — Site of Naval Shipyard
On Trails End Road, on the right when traveling east.
Site of Naval- shipyard 1804-1812 Erected 1938 — Map (db m118291) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Vergennes — The Bixby Memorial Free Library
On Main Street (Vermont Route 22A) at Macdonough Drive, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
. . . — Map (db m109199) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Vergennes — The Vergennes Pump House"People of Vergennes at the mercy of the flames" — -H.C. Johnson, Editor, Vergennes Vermonter, October 18, 1867 —
Near Main Street (Vermont Route 22A), on the left when traveling north.
In Need of Water Fire was the scourge of downtowns all across America in the nineteenth century. Buildings were destroyed by fire time and time again. Water often had to be transported from nearby rivers. Firefighting efforts were frequently . . . — Map (db m89159) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Vergennes — Vergennes 150th Anniversary1788 • 1938 — Qui Patres Transtulit Nos Sustineat —
On Main Street (Vermont Route 22A) at Green Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.

Commemorating the one hundred and fiftieth year of incorporation

Erected August 15, 1939 — Map (db m109238) HM

Vermont (Addison County), Vergennes — Veterans Memorial
On Main Street (Vermont Route 22A) at Park Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.

In grateful tribute to the men and women of Vergennes Vermont who served in the Armed Forces of our country — Map (db m109194) HM

Vermont (Addison County), Vergennes — World War Memorial1917 • 1918 — Vergennes Vermont —
On Main Street (Vermont Route 22A) at Macdonough Drive, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.

Honor Roll

[Died in service] Philip E. Goodere • Edward L. Mercure Frederick C. Morris • Hobart P. Preston

[Veterans Honor Roll not transcribed] — Map (db m109197) HM

Vermont (Addison County), Weybridge — Silas Wright1795-1847
On Weybridge Road (Vermont Route 23) at James Road, on the right when traveling south on Weybridge Road.
Born at Amherst, Mass., Silas Wright came to Weybridge as an infant and grew up here. Graduated from Middlebury College in 1815, he studied Law at Sandy Hill, N.Y.; began Law practice at Canton, N.Y. in 1819, and entered politics there. A Brigadier . . . — Map (db m77967) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Weybridge — The U.S. Government Morgan Horse Farm
Near Battell Drive.
The U.S. Government established a Morgan horse breeding program in 1905 at the University of Vermont to study and refine the Morgan horse as a superior cavalry mount. That program moved here in 1907 when Joseph Battell donated this farm to the U.S. . . . — Map (db m77965) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Whiting — Major Samuel Beach1752-1829 — The Paul Revere of Vermont —
On North Main Street (Vermont Route 30) north of Shoreham Whiting Road, on the right when traveling south.
He lies buried in this cemetery. He walked 64 miles to recruit men to aid Ethan Allen in the capture of Fort Ticonderoga, May 10, 1775. — Map (db m136470) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Arlington — Chittenden Home
On Main Street (Alternate Vermont Route 7) at East Arlington Road, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Oldest frame building one block east, built by Jehiel Hawley, 1764, was home of Thomas Chittenden, Vermont’s first Governor. Legend says the western vista, with its great pine, became the State Seal in 1779. Ethan and Ira Allen lived nearby. — Map (db m78249) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Arlington — Dorothy Canfield Fisher(1879-1958)
On Main Street (Alternate Vermont Route 7) 0.1 miles south of Vermont Route 313, on the right when traveling north.
Known for her depiction of rural life in Vermont, Fisher was a popular novelist and proponent of education. She introduced the Montessori teaching method to American readers and helped found the Adult Education Association in the U.S. Born in . . . — Map (db m78248) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Arlington — Norman Rockwell1894-1978
On River Road at Covered Bridge Road, on the right when traveling east on River Road.
This renowned American painter and illustrator lived in Arlington from 1939 to 1953. Moving into this house in 1943, Rockwell employed neighbors as models to create memorable images for calendars, advertisements, and magazines. Iconic pictures like . . . — Map (db m97290) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Arlington — State Seal Pine Tree
On Vermont Route 313 0.8 miles west of Ethan Allen Highway (Alternate Vermont Route 7A), on the right when traveling west.
This ancient tree was already a monarch of the forest in 1778. Visible then from the Arlington home of Thomas Chittenden, first Governor of Vermont, it is believed to have inspired Ira Allen in designing Vermont's Great Seal. Note a similarity . . . — Map (db m90228) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — Battle of Bennington
On Monument Circle, in the median.
The Expedition led by Lieut. Col. Baum Sent to Seize Military Stores here, was Defeated by Volunteer Amer- ican Militia Forces from New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Vermont, Commanded by General John Stark, Aided By Colonels . . . — Map (db m13649) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — Bennington Civil War Monument
On Main Street (Vermont Route 9), on the left when traveling west.
To the memory of the men from Bennington whose patriotism helped to maintain and perpetuate the Union 1861 – 1865 A tribute by Bennington Post no. 13, American Legion Dedicated at the Department Convention of the Legion, the first held in . . . — Map (db m105774) WM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — Dimick Tavern1777          1927
On West Road (Vermont Route 9) west of Dermody Road, on the left when traveling west.
Site of Dimick Tavern where John Stark and his New Hampshire Volnteers camped before the engagement at Walloomsac Heights where they led in the winning of a decisive victory of the American Revolution The Battle of Bennington August 16, 1777 . . . — Map (db m105506) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — Ethan Allen
On W. Main St. (Vermont Route 9), on the right when traveling east.
A few feet south from this stone stood the house in which Ethan Allen lived while he was a resident of Bennington 1769-1775 — Map (db m61279) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — John Stark
Brigadier General John Stark 1728 – 1822 Victor of the Battle at Bennington 1777 “There they are boys! We beat them today Or Molly Stark sleeps A widow tonight!” Design by John Rogers – 1889 Sculpture by Robert Shure Gift . . . — Map (db m105507) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — Park-McCullough House
On Park Street at West Street on Park Street.
Built as a summer cottage in 1865 for lawyer-entrepreneur-philanthropist Trenor Park and his wife Laura, the mansion was financed with a fortune amassed in California in the aftermath of the California Gold Rush. It was designed by the New York . . . — Map (db m94423) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — Shaffe’sc. 1850/1963
On Main Street (Vermont Route 9) at School Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Shaffe’s c.1850/1963 Store throughout its history. 1963 front retained in restoration after 1992 fire. State Register of Historic Places — Map (db m141048) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — The "Corkscrew" Railroad
On West Main Street (Vermont Route 9), on the right when traveling east.
When wealthy North Bennington resident Trenor Park purchased the Bennington-Rutland Railroad, he found that the railroad "barons" of the Troy and Boston Railroad refused him access to the New York lines. Rather than fight this monopoly, Park built a . . . — Map (db m36902) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — VermontMolly Stark Trail and Historic Old Bennington
Near Main Street (Vermont Route 9) 0.1 miles west of Convent Avenue.
State Highway 9 traverses scenic Hogback Mt. to the Connecticut River Valley. Old Bennington, site of the Battle Monument and Historical Museum, was the meeting place of the Green Mountain Boys. It was the first town chartered by Governor Benning . . . — Map (db m94427) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — Vermont is a State I Love
On Depot Street near River Street, on the left when traveling north.
The text of this marker found on both sides of this plaque. “I could not look upon the peaks of Ascutney, Eillington, Mansfield, and Equinox without being moved in a way that no other scene could move me. It was here that I first saw . . . — Map (db m77057) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — Vermont Veterans' Home
Near North Street (U.S. 7) at Depot Street, on the right when traveling west.
(side 1) In 1884, the State General Assembly authorized an initial $10,000 appropriation to establish a soldiers’ home to care for disabled veterans of the Civil War. The former country estate of Seth B. Hunt, erected in 1860, was . . . — Map (db m108851) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — Vermont's Colonial ShrineVermont Legislature Joint Resolution December 11, 1935
Near Monument Ave., on the left when traveling south.
Whereas, the Old First Church of Bennington was organized December 3, 1762, and is the Oldest Church within the present limits of Vermont; and Whereas, our forefathers met in Prayer in the First Meeting House for assistance against the . . . — Map (db m28223) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — William Lloyd Garrison
On Monument Avenue south of West Road (Vermont Route 9), in the median.
Fifty feet west of this spot WILLIAM LLOYD GARRISON edited the Journal of the Times October 3, 1828 – March 27, 1829 Hither came Benjamin Lundy December 6, 1828 to enlist him in the cause of the slave. Garrison departed hence to lift up . . . — Map (db m90235) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Dorset — Birthplace of William Griffith Wilson1895-1971 — Co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous —
On Mad Tom Road at Village Street, on the right when traveling north on Mad Tom Road.
Bill Wilson was born November 26, 1895, in a room behind the bar at the Wilson House Hotel. From age 11 until entering the Army, he lived at the Griffith House across the church yard from his birthplace. Bill W. wrote the book "Alcoholics . . . — Map (db m94430) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Dorset — DorsetHere New Hampshire Grants First Voted Independence
On Vermont Route 30 at Church Street, on the right when traveling north on State Route 30.
. . . — Map (db m78213) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Dorset — Fenton Pottery Site1801-1810
On Dorset Hollow Road at Kirby Hollow Road, on the right when traveling south on Dorset Hollow Road.
Jonathon Fenton established a pottery and kiln near this site in 1801. He first made redware from clay found along the banks of the Mettowee River. He then became the first potter in Vermont to make salt-glazed stoneware. In 1810 he moved his . . . — Map (db m78224) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Dorset — First Marble QuarryOldest Quarry in U.S., 1785
On Vermont Route 30 at Kelly Road, on the right when traveling north on State Route 30.
Here, near Mt. Aeolus, Isaac Underhill opened the first marble quarry in 1785. Dorset quarries were most active in early 1800's when small slabs were used for hearths, doorsills and headstones. With better transportation and saws, larger blocks . . . — Map (db m78226) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Dorset — The Dorset Field ClubOldest Continually Operated Golf Course in the United States
On Vermont Route 30, on the right when traveling south.
Marker Front: On September 12, 1886 a group of golfers, principally from Troy and New York City, who summered in Dorset, laid out a nine hole golf course, then known as The Dorset Golf Links on this present site. The Club's first president . . . — Map (db m77585) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), East Rupert — Harmon's MintEast Rupert
On Vermont Route 30, on the right when traveling north.
On the site at Hagar Brook stood the small clapboarded mint-house in which Reuben Harmon, Jr. coined copper for the Republic of Vermont, 1785-1788. When the Federal Government was instituted in 1789, Vermont abandoned minting. This rare currency of . . . — Map (db m73639) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Manchester — Lincoln’s "Hildene"Summer Home of Son of Civil War President
On Hildene Road, on the right when traveling north.
Eastward on the hillside can be seen the Manchester estate of Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of President Abraham Lincoln and Mary Todd Lincoln. He became fond of Vermont, and for over twenty years made this his summer home. He died here July 25, . . . — Map (db m95552) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Manchester — The Revolutionary War
On Main Street (Alternate Vermont Route 7) at Union Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Ethan Allen crossed Lake Champlain to capture Fort Ticonderoga on May 10, 1775 for "America's First Victory." Allen's expedition passed through here on May 5, 1775. Nathan Beman from Manchester guided the expedition into the fort; John Roberts of . . . — Map (db m78237) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Manchester — The Soldiers' Monument
On Main Street (Vermont Route 7A) at Union Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
In memory of the men of Manchester who served in the Revolutionary War War of 1812 Mexican War Civil War — Map (db m132717) WM
Vermont (Bennington County), Manchester — The Southern Vermont Arts Center
On Southern Vermont Art Center Drive 0.2 miles west of West Road, on the right when traveling west.
Begun in the 1920s as an informal artists' group for the exhibition of painting and sculpture, the Southern Vermont Arts Center has grown to become a leading Vermont institution devoted to performance, exhibition and studio art. It acquired the . . . — Map (db m78227) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), North Bennington — Home Where Lt .Colonel Baum Died
On U.S. 67 just from Harrington Rd, on the right when traveling east.
A few feet east of this marker stood the house, removed about 1870, in which Lieutenant Colonel Friedrich Baum died. Commander of the enemy forces, he was mortally wounded in the battle of Bennington and died two days later, August 18,1777. He was . . . — Map (db m58451) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), North Bennington — Railroad StationNorth Bennington, Vermont
Near Buckley Road (Vermont Route 67) at Depot Street, on the right when traveling north.
The North Bennington Railroad Station was constructed in 1880, replacing an earlier wood frame station located on the same site. For over half a century, the depot served as the gateway to the village. Beginning in the 1930’s, with the gradual . . . — Map (db m116755) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — Anthony Haswell1756 - 1816
On Monument Circle.
Editor and publisher the Vermont Gazette Bennington Uncompromising in defense of freedom of the press Imprisoned in 1800 for opposition to Alien and Sedition Laws as threats to the newborn democracy Erected in 1912 On site of first . . . — Map (db m77021) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — Before the Battle Monument
On Monument Circle at Monument Avenue on Monument Circle.
was built there was no circular road on this hill top. The original road from Williamstown, Mass. came through Pownal, Vt. to Bennington, and continued straight through the village, over this hill north towards Shaftsbury. All of the buildings . . . — Map (db m77051) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — Bennington Battle Monument
On Monument Ave. at Main Street (Vermont Route 9), on the left when traveling north on Monument Ave..
On August 16, 1777, British forces sent by Gen'l Burgoyne to seize supplies at Bennington were turned back by New Englanders under Gen'l John Stark and Vermont's Col. Seth Warner. This 306 foot commemorative shaft planned 100 years later, was . . . — Map (db m13600) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — Birthplace of Vermont
On Murphy Road near Austin Hill Road, on the right when traveling west.
Near this site stood the homestead of Lieut. James Breakenridge after years of peaceable possession his farm was claimed by New York land speculators - A sheriff and over three hundred men came from Albany to evict him from his home - . . . — Map (db m77019) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — Captain Samuel Robinson
On Monument Avenue at Bank Street, on the right when traveling north on Monument Avenue.
Near this spot in 1761 Captain Samuel Robinson the pioneer settler of Bennington, the first magistrate in what is now Vermont, and during his lifetime, the acknowledged leader of the settlers of the town built his first log cabin. . . . — Map (db m77052) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — Colonel Seth Warner
On Monument Circle at Monument Avenue on Monument Circle.
The Warner monument has text on the four sides of the base Born in Roxbury (then Woodbury) C.T. May 17, 1743 Resided in Bennington VT. 1765-1784 Died Dec. 26, 1784 at Roxbury CT Where he was buried with Honors of War Age 41 . . . — Map (db m77023) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — Continental Storehouse Site
On Monument Circle, on the right when traveling south.
On this site stood the Continental Storehouse Object of the British attack that was repulsed by the Colonial Forces at the Battle of Bennington August 16, 1777 — Map (db m14828) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — Henry Covered Bridgeacross the Walloomsac River
On Murphy Road near Ore Bed Road, on the left when traveling north.
This quiet spot was once a major river crossing. Traffic between southwestern Vermont and New York State crossed here, until the railroad was built in 1852, troops marched from Manchester, Vermont to the Battle of Bennington in 1777, and teams and . . . — Map (db m77062) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — New Hampshire at the Battle of Bennington
Near Monument Circle.
Erected in honor of Brigadier General John Stark and the 1400 New Hampshire men who came to the defense of Vermont in August 1777. Assembling at Fort Number Four in Charleston, New Hampshire, Stark and his troops crossed the Green Mountains to aid . . . — Map (db m77022) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — Site of the Catamount Tavern - 1767
On Monument Avenue near Highway 9.
The Catamount Tavern, which was built in 1767, was originally named the Green Mountain Tavern. The Council of Safety and the “Green Mountain Boys” met here from 1767 to 1775. On May 9, 1775, Ethan Allen and 270 men, 40 whom were . . . — Map (db m77053) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Pownal — Early Eighteenth Century Settlement
On Vermont Route 346 0.1 miles west of Indian Massacre Road, on the right when traveling east.
This site commemorates the gateway of Vermont’s earliest Dutch settlement, the Rensselaerwyck Manor settlement. The Diel Homestead, built by Bastion Diel in the early 1700s, is considered the second earliest dwelling in Pownal. The property’s large . . . — Map (db m78254) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Pownal — PownalTwo Presidents Taught Here
On Vermont Route 346 at North Pownal Road, on the right when traveling north on State Route 346.
Here two Presidents taught school at the beginning of their careers. Chester A. Arthur, a graduate of Union College, educated Pownal youth in 1851. Later while an undergraduate at Williams College, James A. Garfield did likewise. When Garfield was . . . — Map (db m78255) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Rupert — Lt. Col. Robert CochranRevolutionary Hero Settled Here, 1769
On Vermont Route 153.
Condemned to death by the N.Y. Assembly, Col. Cochran fought the Yorkers for Vermont land grants. Joining the Green Mt. Boys, he was with Ethan Allen at Ticonderoga and Seth Warner at Crown Point. Later he commanded Continental forces in the Mohawk . . . — Map (db m77947) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Rupert — Town of Rupert Great War Memorial
On Rupert Road (Vermont Route 315), on the right when traveling west.
In grateful remembrance of the men from the Town of Rupert who entered the Great War of 1914-1919 to fight for the triumph of right and freedom names were not transcribedMap (db m138813) WM
Vermont (Bennington County), Rupert — Town of Rupert World War II MemorialRoll of Honor — 1941-1945 —
On Rupert Road (Vermont Route 315), on the right when traveling west.
Citizens of Town of Rupert, Vermont who served their country in World War II David S.Cramer, John Rafter denoted as having died in service. further names were not transcribedMap (db m138811) WM
Vermont (Bennington County), Shaftsbury — Governor Jonas Galusha Homestead
On Ethan Allen Highway (Vermont Route 7A) 0.5 miles north of Tunic Road, on the right when traveling south.
Jonas Galusha, born in Norwich, CT in 1753, moved his family to Shaftsbury in 1775. During the Revolutionary War he served with Seth Warner's Green Mountain Boys and was at the Battle of Hubbardton and a Captain during the Battle of Bennington. A . . . — Map (db m27799) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Shaftsbury — ShaftsburyThe Birthplace, 1805, of Jacob Merritt Howard
On Ethan Allen Highway (Alternate Vermont Route 7A) at Tunic Road, on the right when traveling north on Ethan Allen Highway.
Moving west, Howard became Senator from Michigan, & wrote resolutions adopted by Convention at Jackson, July 6, 1854, on which The Republican Party was founded. He was also the sole author of the 13th Amendment to the Constitution. His birthplace . . . — Map (db m90226) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Sunderland — Chiselville
On Sunderland Hill Road, on the right when traveling north.
Named for the fine quality chisels and edge tools manufactured on site, the small village of Chiselville lies southwest of this 1870 Town lattice truss covered bridge. In 1853, a group of entrepreneurs led by Norman R. Douglass of Shaftsbury . . . — Map (db m103815) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Sunderland — SunderlandAllen families lived here
On Alternate Vermont Route 7 0.1 miles south of Hill Farm Road, on the right when traveling south.
Ira Allen lived on this site by the Batten Kill and as Treasurer and Surveyor-General his "Office" helped shape the destiny of the Republic of Vermont. Here Ethan's family lived; here he dictated his freethinking "Oracles of Reason" in 1782. To his . . . — Map (db m78238) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), West Rupert — West Rupert Veterans Memorial1761- 2011
On East Street, on the left when traveling east.
Dedicated to the men and women of Rupert who have served our country past present and future — Map (db m136192) WM
Vermont (Bennington County), Windhall — Scott Nearing & Helen Knothe Nearing
On Upper Taylor Hill Road at Stone Cabin Road, on the left when traveling south on Upper Taylor Hill Road.
SCOTT NEARING (August 6, 1883 - August 24, 1983) HELEN KNOTHE NEARING (February 23, 1904 - September 17, 1995) Prominent economist, socialist, teacher, writer and scholar, Scott and his wife Helen Knothe, lived in Winhall from 1932 to 1952. . . . — Map (db m103814) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Barnet — Ben's Mill
On West Barnet Road, on the left.
This water-powered mill on the Stevens River was built in 1872 by Alexander Jack. It originally housed a patented woolen print and dye works. In 1893, James Judkins retooled it as a wagon and woodworking shop. Judkins’ Shop was later run by sons . . . — Map (db m136055) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Barnet — Henry Stevens / Henry Stevens, Jr.
On U.S. 5, on the right when traveling north.
Born in Barnet on December 13, 1791, and educated at Peacham Academy, Henry Stevens was at various times a farmer, innkeeper, mill owner, legislator, postmaster, temperance leader, stage line proprietor, and operator of the Passumpsic Turnpike. A . . . — Map (db m77691) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Barnet — Moore Round Barn
On Vermont Route 5, on the left when traveling south.
Local builder Fred “Silo” Quimby built this round barn, considered a great curiosity, in 1900 for farmer James R. Moore. Popularized by Midwest agricultural colleges in the 1890s, round barns were considered more economical to build and . . . — Map (db m136060) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Barnet — The Comerford Development at Fifteen Mile Falls
On Interstate 91 at milepost 121.8, on the right when traveling north.
{Front side} The Connecticut River, starting at the International Boundary, flows 380 miles to the Atlantic Ocean. In its course the river falls 1640 feet. In 1928, the New England Power Association started a two-year project to build one of . . . — Map (db m74467) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Danville — Danville Civil War Memorial
On Park Street.
In Honor Of The Brave Men Of Danville Who Victoriously Defended The Union During The War Of The Rebellion 1861- 1865 Commissioned Officers Colonel Addison W. Preston Captain James M. Ayer Captain Charles D. Brainerd Captain . . . — Map (db m140332) WM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Danville — Danville Veterans Memorial
On Park Street.
. . . — Map (db m140328) WM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Danville — Greenbank's HollowA Forgotten Village
On Greenbanks Hollow Road at Brook Road, on the right when traveling south on Greenbanks Hollow Road.
On this site, in 1849, Benjamin Greenbank converted an existing small mill into a 5-story woolen factory. As many as 45 people worked here to produce up to 700 yards of cloth a day. Greenbank's Hollow, as it became known, included a company store, . . . — Map (db m61392) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Danville — Thaddeus Stevens
On Theodore Roosevelt Hwy (U.S. 2) at Peacham Road, on the right when traveling east on Theodore Roosevelt Hwy.
Born crippled and poor in Danville in 1792, Stevens was schooled by his mother, Sally Morrill Stevens, and at nearby Caledonia County Grammar School, graduating from Dartmouth College in 1814. He became a brilliant lawyer, committed to racial . . . — Map (db m20664) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), East Burke — Mountain View Farm
On Darling Hill Road at East Darling Hill Road, on the right when traveling south on Darling Hill Road.
This farm was established in 1883 by Elmer A. Darling (1848-1931), a native of East Burke who became part owner/manager of the world famous Fifth Avenue Hotel in New York City. After the hotel closed in 1908, Mr. Darling retired to the life of a . . . — Map (db m75981) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Hardwick — Camp Wapanacki
On Hines Road, on the left when traveling south.
Dr. Merle Frampton established Camp Wapanacki here in 1938. It was the first camp in the country dedicated to children with blindness and visual impairments. Dr. Frampton and his wife, Iris, managed Wapanacki until 1942, when operations were . . . — Map (db m136061) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Lyndon — Lyndon Veterans Memorial
On Broad Street (U.S. 5) at Depot Street, on the right when traveling north on Broad Street.
Dedicated To All Lyndon Area Men & Women Who Served Our Nation In Protection Of Our Freedom — Map (db m140714) WM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Lyndon Center — District 6 Schoolhouse1857-1900
Near Cemetery Circle west of Center Street, on the right when traveling west.
The children of Lyndon Center attended school in this wooden building for 43 years. It then served as a cemetery storage garage until its restoration by the Lyndon Historical Society during 2002-2004. Now it is home to an exhibit depicting life in a . . . — Map (db m136692) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Lyndon Center — Lyndon Town House1809
Near Center Street at Cemetery Circle, on the left when traveling north.
Built by the Town of Lyndon in the summer of 1809 as a meeting house for the religious services of four congregations – Baptist, Congregational, Methodist, and Universalist – and for town meetings. The “Town House” was . . . — Map (db m136690) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Lyndon Center — Vail Campus
On Center Street (Vermont Route 122) at College Road, on the right when traveling north on Center Street.
Dedicated to the memory of Theodore Newton Vail (1848–1920), president of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company, a most generous benefactor of Lyndon Institute and Vail Agricultural School – one who had faith in the young people . . . — Map (db m87926) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Lyndonville — Theodore N. VailPioneer in Creating the Telephone Industry
On College Road 1 mile from Center Street (Vermont Route 122), on the left when traveling south.
bought a farmhouse on this site in 1883. Continually enlarged by Vail, it became his permanent residence and office. Conferences held here culminated in the creation of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company with Vail its president, who . . . — Map (db m75108) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Peacham — Caledonia County Grammar School
On Bayley-Hazen Road 0.1 miles south of Church Street, on the right when traveling south.
Caledonia County was set out from Orange County in 1792. Peacham chose to provide a County grammar school rather than a courthouse. The Caledonia County Grammar School (Peacham Academy) was chartered in 1795, the third County grammar school in . . . — Map (db m77694) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Ryegate — James Whitehill Stone House1808
On Peacham Road at Stonehouse Road, on the right when traveling south on Peacham Road.
In the style of a Scottish stone croft (farmhouse), this house was erected by James Whitehill, a prosperous farmer and one of a large number of immigrants from Inchinnan Parish, Scotland, who settled Ryegate under the sponsorship of the Scotch . . . — Map (db m77692) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), St Johnsbury — Northeastern Speedway
On Vermont Route 18 just east of Slate Ledge Road.
Opened on July 18, 1959 as Vermont’s first organized auto racing track under the guidance of the Northeastern Racing Association, the State’s first motor sports sanctioning body. By instituting formal point and purse structures and focusing on . . . — Map (db m65865) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), St. Johnsbury — Court House Grounds & Park
On Main Street (U.S. 2) south of Eastern Avenue (U.S. 2), on the right when traveling north.
On June 28, 1790, Jonathan Arnold donated the land now occupied by the courthouse and park to the "South Parish" of the Village of St. Johnsbury for use as a "Buryal Ground." By 1855 the burial ground had fallen into disrepair. Families . . . — Map (db m116650) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), St. Johnsbury — First American Platform Scale
On Portland Street (U.S. 2) at Spaulding Road, on the right when traveling east on Portland Street. Reported permanently removed.
After experimenting with new types of farm equipment, plows, and stoves, Thaddeus Fairbanks invented the platform scale here in 1830. With his brothers Erastus and Joseph, he founded the company which still bears their name. Many St. Johnsbury . . . — Map (db m74468) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), St. Johnsbury — First American Platform Scale
On Western Avenue (U.S. 2) at Mount Vernon Street, on the right when traveling east on Western Avenue.
After experimenting with new types of farm equipment, plows and stoves, Thaddeus Fairbanks invented the platform scale here in 1830. With his brothers Erastus and Joseph, he founded the company which still bears their name. Many St. Johnsbury . . . — Map (db m77603) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), St. Johnsbury — St. Johnsbury Athenaeum
On Main Street (U.S. 2) at Eastern Avenue (U.S. 2), on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
(National Register of Historic Places Plaque) St. Johnsbury Athenaeum Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This building possesses National Significance in commemorating the history of the . . . — Map (db m116649) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), St. Johnsbury — St. Johnsbury Trade School
On Western Avenue (U.S. 2) 0.3 miles west of Main Street, on the left when traveling west.
Vermont's first and for many years only four year vocational school opened on Western Avenue on September 3, 1918. Needing skilled workers during World War I, Fairbanks, Morse & Co. started an all-day co-operative school where young men could learn . . . — Map (db m77584) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Wheelock — WheelockThe Dartmouth College Land Grant
On Vermont Route 122 at Sutton Road, on the right when traveling north on State Route 122.
When Eleazer Wheelock founded Dartmouth in 1769, he sought land grants to support the new college. In 1785 the Vermont legislature chartered and named a town of 23,000 acres for Wheelock. In the early 1800's substantial support for financially . . . — Map (db m87807) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — 103 Church Streetc.1820s
Near Church Street 0.1 miles north of College Street, on the right when traveling south.
This may be one of the oldest buildings surviving on Church Street, possibly built in the 1820s and hidden behind a modern façade applied in the 1980s. Here, the famous jewelry firm of Pangorn and Brinsmaid was formed in 1832. Brinsmaid, who . . . — Map (db m117838) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — 2nd Vermont Volunteer Infantry Regiment
Near Park Street (Vermont Route 127) at Sherman Street, on the right when traveling south.
On June 24, 1861, the first Vermont soldiers who enlisted for service in the Civil War for three years left Burlington for Washington by rail. Four days earlier, the 866 officers and men from across the state had been mustered into the Union Army . . . — Map (db m75584) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Andrew Harris 1814-1841First African American Graduate of the University of Vermont, 1838 — Abolitionist & Advocate of Black Equality —
Near South Prospect Street.
"We consider it criminal in the sight of God and man, longer silently to submit to our indignities, or suffer them to be transmitted to posterity." Andrew Harris was one of the first African Americans to earn a college degree. The antislavery . . . — Map (db m97754) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Arahmi
On Lake Street at Penny Lane on Lake Street.
Arahmi "A place where I would like to be," from the language of the people of the dawn who lived in harmony in this area for 10,000 or more years, the real discoverers and explorers of Vermont. This building was rebuilt from the spirit of . . . — Map (db m118593) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Athletic Park
On Riverside Avenue (U.S. 2) at Intervale Road, on the right when traveling west on Riverside Avenue.
Located on the streetcar line between Burlington and Winooski, Athletic Park was the home of the University of Vermont's baseball and football teams and track-and-field events from 1887 until Centennial Field opened in 1906. It was also where . . . — Map (db m75483) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Battery ParkScene of British Attack in War of 1812
Near Battery Street.
Here in June 1813, a Vermonter, Lieut. Churchill, and men built a parapet and set up a battery. On Aug. 3 a British gunboat and 2 sloops, 1½ miles offshore, began a cannonade. This attack was repulsed in 20 minutes by the American Battery and . . . — Map (db m75582) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Burial Place of General Ethan AllenBorn 1738 – Died 1789
Near Colchester Avenue 0.3 miles east of East Avenue.
The mortal remains of Ethan Allen, Vermont leader, fighter, writer and philosopher, lie in this cemetery beneath the marble statue, but his spirit is in Vermont now. — Map (db m51646) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Burlington Civil War Memorial1907
On College Street at St. Paul Street, on the right when traveling east on College Street.
. . . — Map (db m89144) WM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Captain John Lonergan1837 - 1902 — Hero of Gettysburg —
On St. Paul Street north of Main Street (U.S. 2), on the right when traveling north.
In this park on July 22, 1863, Vermont's only ethnic Civil War unit was welcomed home from the battle of Gettysburg. Lonergan commanded Co. A, 13th VT Regiment - the Irish Company - and he received the Medal of Honor for gallantry in the battle. . . . — Map (db m88639) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Celebrating ChamplainParades and Pagentry
On College Street at Lake Street, on the right when traveling west on College Street.
In July 1609, Samuel de Champlain became the first European to set eyes on Lake Champlain. Three hundred years later, in July of 1909, communities around Lake Champlain celebrated the tercentenial of Champlain's expedition. Burlington marked the . . . — Map (db m91649) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Centennial Field
On University Road 0.1 miles south of Colchester Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Named to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the University of Vermont’s first graduating class, Centennial Field has been the home of UVM athletics since 1906. The three ballparks that have stood on this site have hosted semi-professional and . . . — Map (db m23429) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Chittenden County Trust Company1931
On Church Street south of College Street, on the right when traveling south.
This Beaux Arts-style building, with its symmetrical marble facades, prominent cornices, sculptural ancient Greek and Roman details, and arched windows and doors, was designed by famed Boston architects Harper & West at the request of the . . . — Map (db m93055) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Church Street — Burlington, VT —
On Main Street (U.S. 2) at Church Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
Had you stood at this location in the early 1800s, you would have had to lift your skirt off the dirt lane to step up onto the plank sidewalk or guard your hat from the danger of low wooden canopies. Pedestrians competed with horse and carriage on . . . — Map (db m23579) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Church Street Marketplace
On Pearl Street at Church Street, on the right when traveling east on Pearl Street.
In 1962 architecture student Bill Truex experienced the transformation of Stroget, Copenhagen's main shopping area from traffic-snarled nightmare to successful pedestrian mall. Seven years later, while on the Burlington Planning Commission, Truex . . . — Map (db m89110) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Church Street Marketplace
On Main Street at Church Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
In 1962 architecture student Bill Truex experienced the transformation of Stroget, Copenhagen's main shopping area from traffic-snarled nightmare to successful pedestrian mall. Seven years later, while on the Burlington Planning Commission, Truex . . . — Map (db m89112) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — City Hall Park — Burlington, VT —
Near Main Street (U.S. 2) east of St. Paul Street when traveling west.
In 1797, a city planned grid system was laid out for Burlington, incorporating the few transportation routes that existed, including King, Pearl, Church and Battery Streets. At the city’s center, space was reserved for a park (now City Hall Park) . . . — Map (db m23580) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Ethan AllenPark is Site of Farm Owned by Hero of Ticonderoga
On North Avenue at Ethan Allen Parkway, on the right when traveling north on North Avenue.
Putting behind him the martial deeds of a hero, Ethan came here in 1787 to till the soil as a peaceful farmer. On Feb. 12, 1789, he died here after a trip across the ice to South Hero. Memorial Tower was built on Indian Rock, traditional Algonquin . . . — Map (db m75585) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Ethan Allen Park - Wilderness in the City
Near North Avenue at Ethan Allen Parkway.
A century ago, most of this area was rural, but people were beginning to build houses here. William Van Patten owned many acres of land locally, and he wanted a park in this new neighborhood. He got on his old horse, Mattie, and let her find easy . . . — Map (db m89149) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — First Unitarian Universalist Society Meeting House
On Pearl Street at Church Street, on the right when traveling west on Pearl Street.
Designed by noted architect Peter Banner of Boston, the Federal-style Meeting House was built in 1816 for the First Congregational Society (Unitarian) and is the oldest surviving place of worship in Burlington. Banner's design features a projecting . . . — Map (db m97755) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — General William Wells / Dr. H. Nelson Jackson(1837-1892) / (1872-1955)
On South Willard Street (U.S. 7) at Main Street (U.S. 2), on the right when traveling north on South Willard Street.
General William Wells (1837-1892) In 1861 William Wells joined the First Vermont Cavalry as a Private and rose to the rank of Brevet Major-General. Promoted more times than any other Vermonter during the American Civil War, he participated in . . . — Map (db m75549) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — George Dewey, Admiral of the Navy, U.S.N.Henry T. Mayo, Vice Admiral, U.S.N
On College Street, on the left when traveling north.
George Dewey, Admiral of the Navy, U.S.N. 1837-1917 Born in Montpelier, Vermont, George Dewey graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1858. Following service in the Civil War, he held several high-ranking administrative positions in the . . . — Map (db m115266) HM WM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Grace Goodhue Coolidge
On Maple Street 0.1 miles west of South Willard Street (U.S. 7), on the right when traveling west.
On Oct. 4, 1905, at 2:30 p.m. in front of the bay window in the parlor of this house, Grace Goodhue married Calvin Coolidge of Plymouth Notch, VT. Calvin Coolidge became President of the United States and Grace served as First Lady from 1923-1929. . . . — Map (db m75591) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Honor and Tradition
On College Street, on the left when traveling north.
Honor and Tradition Name Comm Decomm USS Vermont (BB 20) 1907 1920 USS Plattsburg (SP 1645) 1918 1919 USS Converse (DD 291) 1920 1930 USS Dewey (DD 349) 1934 1945 USS Clark (DD 361) 1936 1945 USS Mayo (DD 422) 1940 1946 . . . — Map (db m115267) HM WM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Howard Bank Building
On Church Street at College Street, on the right when traveling north on Church Street.
Howard Bank Building 1902 --------- This granite-faced brick building, designed and built by Hiram Salls, is a fine example of Renaissance Revival Classicism. Constructed for the Howard National Bank it replaced a smaller, c.1867 bank . . . — Map (db m118014) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Howard William Plant memorial
On Battery Street, on the right when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m75563) WM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — In Memory of John Lonergan
Near Archibald Street east of North Willard Street (U.S. 2), on the left when traveling east.
In memory of John Lonergan a native of Ireland, who having made the United States his adopted country, defended it in the Civil War, and at the Battle of Gettysburg with distinction as Capt. Co. A, 13th VT Reg't., and was . . . — Map (db m143257) HM WM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — John DeweyPhilosopher and Pioneer in Modern Education
On South Willard Street (U.S. 7) 0.1 miles south of Main Street (U.S. 2), on the right when traveling north.
Born here on Oct. 20, 1859, John Dewey attended local schools and in 1879 graduated from the University of Vermont. Dewey was world-renowned as a philosopher and author of many books. Ideas drawn from his educational doctrines profoundly influenced . . . — Map (db m75558) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Lake Champlain Navy Memorial
Near College Street, on the left when traveling north.
Honoring Robert T. Stafford Vermont Governor-Congressman-United States Senator Captain United States Navy First Commanding Officer- Naval Reserve Center, Burlington Established in 1946, the Naval Reserve Center occupied this site in . . . — Map (db m115269) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Little Italy
On Battery Street at Cherry Street, on the right when traveling south on Battery Street.
Beginning in the early 1900s, the area directly to the east housed numerous emigrants. Many moved here from Italy with hopes to build better lives. Some worked in the lumber mills and railroad yards that bordered the lake. In the process, they . . . — Map (db m75562) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Mary Martha Fletcher(1830-1885)
On North Prospect Street 0.2 miles south of Riverside Avenue (U.S. 2), on the right when traveling south.
Mary Fletcher, born in Jericho, Vt., moved here with her family at age 20. Following her father’s death, the family established Fletcher Free Library (1873). Mary Fletcher continued her parents’ benefactions. She founded Mary Fletcher Hospital . . . — Map (db m75501) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Neighborhood GroceriesBurlington's Little Italy"Piccola Italia"
On Battery Street at Cherry Street, on the right when traveling north on Battery Street.
Imagine yourself back in time... As you enter the corner grocery store, your senses are captivated by the aroma of the Italian cheeses- the provolone hanging from the ceiling, the freshly grated Romano, the feta and the gorgonzola. . . . — Map (db m118736) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Neighbors Helping NeighborsBurlington's Little Italy — "Piccola Italia" —
On Pearl Street at Saint Paul Street, on the right when traveling west on Pearl Street.
Imagine yourself back in time... If you were standing here in 1959, you would see a neighborhood that included a Catholic Cathedral, grammar and high schools and many small businesses such as gas stations, auto dealers and boat companies, . . . — Map (db m118840) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Quadricentennial CelebrationBurlington's International Waterfront Festival
On College Street at Lake Street, on the right when traveling west on College Street.
During July 2009, the City of Burlington staged a 13-day International Waterfront Festival to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Samuel de Champlain's bold expedition into the lake that today bears his name. The festival included artists, diplomats, . . . — Map (db m91614) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Saint-Joseph Parish
On Allen Street 0.1 miles west of Elmwood Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
. . . — Map (db m97387) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Samuel de Champlain1570-1635
Near South Willard Street.
Founder of New France. Dedicated July 2, 2009 in celebration of the 400th anniversary of his trip down the lake in the summer of 1609. Champlain College is forever grateful to Trustee Emeritus and friend John W. Heisse Jr., M.D. for commissioning . . . — Map (db m87969)
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Site of the American House1808 - 1893
On Main Street (U.S. 2) at St. Paul Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Site of the American House 1808-1893 Presidents Monroe, Van Buren, Pierce, Grant Generals Scott, Wool, Hampton Henry Clay, and other famous famous people entertained here. — Map (db m21813) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Site of the Old Gas Station
Near College Street at St. Paul Street.
Original home of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Founded May 5, 1978 Placed in commemoration of their Tenth Anniversary Celebration June 4, 1988 — Map (db m89108) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — The Battery
Near Battery Street.
The battery of thirteen guns on this ground repulsed an attack of three British gunboats June 13 1813 It was the defense of Burlington and of the United States Army here encamped during the war of 1812 This tablet was erected by the Green Mountain . . . — Map (db m75564) HM WM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — The Battle of Plattsburgh Bay11 September 1812
On College Street, on the left when traveling north.
The Battle of Plattsburgh Bay 11 September 1812 During the War of 1812, the British again attempted to use Lake Champlain as an invasion route into the United States. Both American and British naval commands constructed large vessels in an . . . — Map (db m116682) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — The Battle of Valcour Island11-13 October 1776
On College Street, on the left when traveling north.
The Battle of Valcour Island 11-13 October 1776 In the fall of 1776 a British Naval force left Canada and embarked onto Lake Champlain in an effort to divide and conquer the rebelling thirteen colonies. Positioned off Valcour Island was a . . . — Map (db m115264) WM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — The Black Snake Affair
In 1808, the Federal government, reacting to unfair British policies, passed an Embargo Act, forbidding trade with Great Britain. The Champlain Valley relied on trade with British Canada and the Act was unpopular and significant smuggling . . . — Map (db m98393) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — The Lone Sailor
On College Street, on the left when traveling north.
The Lone Sailor

The original bronze sculpture stands at the center of the United States Navy Memorial in Washington DC. In honor of the historical naval actions on Lake Champlain, the Navy Memorial Foundation approved placing The Lone Sailor . . . — Map (db m115263) WM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — The Meeting House
Near Pearl STreet at Clarke Street.
. . . — Map (db m117916) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Vermont / Steamer "Vermont"
On King Street Dock 0.1 miles west of Battery Street, on the right when traveling west.
Vermont Major Cross-State Route to the Connecticut River From this point, where the Winans launched their steamer "Vermont" in 1808, travelers drive eastward on Route US 2, cutting through the Green Mountain Range at Bolton to the Capitol at . . . — Map (db m75561) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — William Wells
Near Park Street at Pearl Street, on the left when traveling north.
Brevet Major General U.S. Vols. 1837-1892 First Lieut. Co. C 1st Vermont Cavalry Oct. 14 1861 Captain Co. C Nov. 18 1861 Major Dec. 30 1862 Colonel July 2 1864 Brevet Brigadier General U.S. Vols. Feb. 22 1865 Brevet Major General U.S. . . . — Map (db m75579) HM WM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Charlotte — Quinlan Schoolhouse

This school was one of thirteen one-room schoolhouses in Charlotte. It was built around 1850 and was in use until 1950. One-room schoolhouses were built throughout the town in order to educate the children of nearby farm families. Children . . . — Map (db m108961) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Charlotte — The Charlotte WhaleThe Vermont State Fossil
On Thompsons Point Road 0.1 miles west of Greenbush Road, on the right when traveling west.
In 1849 an 11,000 year old Beluga Whale was found north of this site in what had been the Champlain Sea. Resident J.G. Thorp collected the bones, and naturalist Zadock Thompson assembled the skeleton now displayed in the Perkins Museum of Geology . . . — Map (db m75963) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Charlotte — World War II Memorial1941 • 1945

Charlotte Honor Roll

[Died in service] William M. St.George • Romeo LeClair George Sturgeon • Parker D. Leonard

[Roll of Veterans] — Map (db m108963) WM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Charlotte — World War Memorial1918
On Ferry Road at Greenbush Road, in the median on Ferry Road.

The Roll of Honor of Charlotte, Vermont

[Died in service] Harry Hanks • DeLial W. Magee • Julius S. Munnette

[Veterans] William F. Abare • Donald Aunchman • Edward J. Bessette, Jr. Harold H. Bessette • Moses Booska • Roy . . . — Map (db m108960) WM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Colchester — Buffalo Soldiers At Fort Ethan Allen1909-1913
On Ethan Allen Avenue at Doyle Street, on the right when traveling south on Ethan Allen Avenue.
In July 1909, the 10th U.S. Cavalry arrived at Fort Ethan Allen for a four-year assignment. Nicknamed the "Buffalo Soldiers" during the American Indian Wars, the 10th Cavalry was one of the first peacetime all-black regiments established in the . . . — Map (db m104074) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Colchester — ColchesterThe Early Years
On Main Street (Vermont Route 2A) at Cobbleview Drive, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
By 1763, the English had driven the French armies from Canada making the Champlain Valley safe for settlement. In the same year, King George III chartered Colchester Township on the Onion River - now known as the Winooski. In 1773, Ira Allen's . . . — Map (db m86658) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Colchester — Colchester Log Schoolhouse
On Colchester Point Road at Buckingham Drive, on the right when traveling west on Colchester Point Road.
In 1810, Vermont State Law required towns to raise a minimum of 1 cent on the dollar in property taxes for support of town schools. The one room schoolhouse before you was built between 1815 and 1827 to serve students on the area once known as South . . . — Map (db m88739) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Colchester — Ray W. Collins
On Theodore Roosevelt Highway (U.S. 2) 2 miles south of Ethan Allen Highway (U.S. 7), on the right when traveling south.
A descendant of one of Burlington’s original settlers, Ray Williston Collins was born on this farm on February 11, 1887. After graduating from Burlington High School and the University of Vermont, Collins joined the Boston Red Sox in 1909 and soon . . . — Map (db m86646) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Essex — Buffalo Soldiers at Fort Ethan Allen1909-1913
On College Parkway (Vermont Route 15) at Ethan Allen Avenue, on the right when traveling west on College Parkway.
In July 1909, the 10th U.S. Cavalry arrived at Fort Ethan Allen for a four-year assignment. Nicknamed the “Buffalo Soldiers” during the American Indian Wars, the 10th Cavalry was one of the first peacetime all-black regiments . . . — Map (db m104492) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Essex Junction — There's Only One Essex Junction
On Ivy Lane at Central Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Ivy Lane.
There is Only One Essex Junction What's in a Name? This village was originally known as Hubbel's Falls after an early settler who built a mill in Essex on the Winooski River. During the autumn of 1849 the Vermont Central's owner, . . . — Map (db m92207) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Hinesburg — Chester Arthur
On Vermont Route 116 at Charlotte Road on State Route 116.
Boyhood home of President Chester A. Arthur 1833 - 1835. — Map (db m97559) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Hinesburg — Early Black Settlers
On Lincoln Hill Road at North Road, on the right when traveling east on Lincoln Hill Road.
(side 1) On this hill from 1795 to 1865 thrived an African American farming community. The first settlers at the bottom of this road in 1798, from MA, were Samuel Peters, Hannah Lensemen & husband Prince Peters. Prince served in Captain . . . — Map (db m86659) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Jericho — "Snowflake" BentleyJericho's world famous snowflake authority
On Brown's Trace Road at Jericho Center Circle, on the right when traveling north on Brown's Trace Road.
For fifty years Wilson A. Bentley, a farmer and self taught scientist, developed his technique of photomicrography to reveal to the world the grandeur and mystery of the snowflake — its universal hexagonal shape and its infinite number of . . . — Map (db m74314) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Jericho — Chittenden Mills
On Vermont Route 15 at Red Mill Drive, on the right when traveling west on State Route 15.
Named for Thomas Chittenden, first governor of Vermont and great-great grandfather of Frank Howe. Frank and his father Lucian rebuilt this mill in 1885 changing from grinding with millstones to the new gradual reduction roller process. Grain was . . . — Map (db m97753) HM

570 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 370
Paid Advertisement