Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Caledonia County Vermont Historical Markers

 
Wide View of Ben's Mill Marker image, Touch for more information
By Dennis Gilkenson, June 28, 2019
Wide View of Ben's Mill Marker
Vermont (Caledonia County), Barnet — Ben's Mill
On West Barnet Road, on the left.
This water-powered mill on the Stevens River was built in 1872 by Alexander Jack. It originally housed a patented woolen print and dye works. In 1893, James Judkins retooled it as a wagon and woodworking shop. Judkins’ Shop was later run by sons . . . — Map (db m136055) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Barnet — Henry Stevens / Henry Stevens, Jr.
On U.S. 5, on the right when traveling north.
Born in Barnet on December 13, 1791, and educated at Peacham Academy, Henry Stevens was at various times a farmer, innkeeper, mill owner, legislator, postmaster, temperance leader, stage line proprietor, and operator of the Passumpsic Turnpike. A . . . — Map (db m77691) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Barnet — Moore Round Barn
On Vermont Route 5, on the left when traveling south.
Local builder Fred “Silo” Quimby built this round barn, considered a great curiosity, in 1900 for farmer James R. Moore. Popularized by Midwest agricultural colleges in the 1890s, round barns were considered more economical to build and . . . — Map (db m136060) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Barnet — The Comerford Development at Fifteen Mile Falls
On Interstate 91 at milepost 121.8, on the right when traveling north.
{Front side} The Connecticut River, starting at the International Boundary, flows 380 miles to the Atlantic Ocean. In its course the river falls 1640 feet. In 1928, the New England Power Association started a two-year project to build one of . . . — Map (db m74467) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Danville — Danville Civil War Memorial
On Park Street.
In Honor Of The Brave Men Of Danville Who Victoriously Defended The Union During The War Of The Rebellion 1861- 1865 Commissioned Officers Colonel Addison W. Preston Captain James M. Ayer Captain Charles D. Brainerd Captain . . . — Map (db m140332) WM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Danville — Danville Veterans Memorial
On Park Street.
. . . — Map (db m140328) WM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Danville — Greenbank's HollowA Forgotten Village
On Greenbanks Hollow Road at Brook Road, on the right when traveling south on Greenbanks Hollow Road.
On this site, in 1849, Benjamin Greenbank converted an existing small mill into a 5-story woolen factory. As many as 45 people worked here to produce up to 700 yards of cloth a day. Greenbank's Hollow, as it became known, included a company store, . . . — Map (db m61392) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Danville — Thaddeus Stevens
On Theodore Roosevelt Hwy (U.S. 2) at Peacham Road, on the right when traveling east on Theodore Roosevelt Hwy.
Born crippled and poor in Danville in 1792, Stevens was schooled by his mother, Sally Morrill Stevens, and at nearby Caledonia County Grammar School, graduating from Dartmouth College in 1814. He became a brilliant lawyer, committed to racial . . . — Map (db m20664) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), East Burke — Mountain View Farm
On Darling Hill Road at East Darling Hill Road, on the right when traveling south on Darling Hill Road.
This farm was established in 1883 by Elmer A. Darling (1848-1931), a native of East Burke who became part owner/manager of the world famous Fifth Avenue Hotel in New York City. After the hotel closed in 1908, Mr. Darling retired to the life of a . . . — Map (db m75981) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Hardwick — Camp Wapanacki
On Hines Road, on the left when traveling south.
Dr. Merle Frampton established Camp Wapanacki here in 1938. It was the first camp in the country dedicated to children with blindness and visual impairments. Dr. Frampton and his wife, Iris, managed Wapanacki until 1942, when operations were . . . — Map (db m136061) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Lyndon — Lyndon Veterans Memorial
On Broad Street (U.S. 5) at Depot Street, on the right when traveling north on Broad Street.
Dedicated To All Lyndon Area Men & Women Who Served Our Nation In Protection Of Our Freedom — Map (db m140714) WM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Lyndon Center — District 6 Schoolhouse1857-1900
Near Cemetery Circle west of Center Street, on the right when traveling west.
The children of Lyndon Center attended school in this wooden building for 43 years. It then served as a cemetery storage garage until its restoration by the Lyndon Historical Society during 2002-2004. Now it is home to an exhibit depicting life in a . . . — Map (db m136692) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Lyndon Center — Lyndon Town House1809
Near Center Street at Cemetery Circle, on the left when traveling north.
Built by the Town of Lyndon in the summer of 1809 as a meeting house for the religious services of four congregations – Baptist, Congregational, Methodist, and Universalist – and for town meetings. The “Town House” was . . . — Map (db m136690) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Lyndon Center — Vail Campus
On Center Street (Vermont Route 122) at College Road, on the right when traveling north on Center Street.
Dedicated to the memory of Theodore Newton Vail (1848–1920), president of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company, a most generous benefactor of Lyndon Institute and Vail Agricultural School – one who had faith in the young people . . . — Map (db m87926) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Lyndonville — Theodore N. VailPioneer in Creating the Telephone Industry
On College Road 1 mile from Center Street (Vermont Route 122), on the left when traveling south.
bought a farmhouse on this site in 1883. Continually enlarged by Vail, it became his permanent residence and office. Conferences held here culminated in the creation of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company with Vail its president, who . . . — Map (db m75108) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Peacham — Caledonia County Grammar School
On Bayley-Hazen Road 0.1 miles south of Church Street, on the right when traveling south.
Caledonia County was set out from Orange County in 1792. Peacham chose to provide a County grammar school rather than a courthouse. The Caledonia County Grammar School (Peacham Academy) was chartered in 1795, the third County grammar school in . . . — Map (db m77694) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Ryegate — James Whitehill Stone House1808
On Peacham Road at Stonehouse Road, on the right when traveling south on Peacham Road.
In the style of a Scottish stone croft (farmhouse), this house was erected by James Whitehill, a prosperous farmer and one of a large number of immigrants from Inchinnan Parish, Scotland, who settled Ryegate under the sponsorship of the Scotch . . . — Map (db m77692) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), St Johnsbury — Northeastern Speedway
On Vermont Route 18 just east of Slate Ledge Road.
Opened on July 18, 1959 as Vermont’s first organized auto racing track under the guidance of the Northeastern Racing Association, the State’s first motor sports sanctioning body. By instituting formal point and purse structures and focusing on . . . — Map (db m65865) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), St. Johnsbury — Court House Grounds & Park
On Main Street (U.S. 2) south of Eastern Avenue (U.S. 2), on the right when traveling north.
On June 28, 1790, Jonathan Arnold donated the land now occupied by the courthouse and park to the "South Parish" of the Village of St. Johnsbury for use as a "Buryal Ground." By 1855 the burial ground had fallen into disrepair. Families . . . — Map (db m116650) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), St. Johnsbury — First American Platform Scale
On Portland Street (U.S. 2) at Spaulding Road, on the right when traveling east on Portland Street. Reported permanently removed.
After experimenting with new types of farm equipment, plows, and stoves, Thaddeus Fairbanks invented the platform scale here in 1830. With his brothers Erastus and Joseph, he founded the company which still bears their name. Many St. Johnsbury . . . — Map (db m74468) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), St. Johnsbury — First American Platform Scale
On Western Avenue (U.S. 2) at Mount Vernon Street, on the right when traveling east on Western Avenue.
After experimenting with new types of farm equipment, plows and stoves, Thaddeus Fairbanks invented the platform scale here in 1830. With his brothers Erastus and Joseph, he founded the company which still bears their name. Many St. Johnsbury . . . — Map (db m77603) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), St. Johnsbury — St. Johnsbury Athenaeum
On Main Street (U.S. 2) at Eastern Avenue (U.S. 2), on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
(National Register of Historic Places Plaque) St. Johnsbury Athenaeum Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This building possesses National Significance in commemorating the history of the . . . — Map (db m116649) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), St. Johnsbury — St. Johnsbury Trade School
On Western Avenue (U.S. 2) 0.3 miles west of Main Street, on the left when traveling west.
Vermont's first and for many years only four year vocational school opened on Western Avenue on September 3, 1918. Needing skilled workers during World War I, Fairbanks, Morse & Co. started an all-day co-operative school where young men could learn . . . — Map (db m77584) HM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Wheelock — WheelockThe Dartmouth College Land Grant
On Vermont Route 122 at Sutton Road, on the right when traveling north on State Route 122.
When Eleazer Wheelock founded Dartmouth in 1769, he sought land grants to support the new college. In 1785 the Vermont legislature chartered and named a town of 23,000 acres for Wheelock. In the early 1800's substantial support for financially . . . — Map (db m87807) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement