Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Washington County Vermont Historical Markers

 
Currier Park Marker image, Touch for more information
By Dennis Gilkenson, October 8, 2019
Currier Park Marker
Vermont (Washington County), Barre — Currier Park
On Park Street at Academy Street, on the right when traveling north on Park Street.
Currier Park was presented to the town of Barre in 1884 by builder Stedman Chubb (1828-1890). The two-acre public park was part of the 60-acre Ripley farm purchased in 1853 by Chubb’s father-in-law, Richard S. Currier (1803-1875). Currier had moved . . . — Map (db m141191) HM
Vermont (Washington County), Barre — First Boy Scout Troop in AmericaBarre, Vermont
On Depot Square at Metro Way, on the left when traveling west on Depot Square.
( north side ) In 1909, Barre stonecutter and Scottish Immigrant William Foster Milne founded America's first boy scout troop with materials shipped directly from Europe’s fledgling Boy Scout movement. "In the basement of the Baptist . . . — Map (db m142938) HM
Vermont (Washington County), Calais — Clarence W. FitchCommunity Activist
On Quarry Road at Adamant Road, on the right when traveling north on Quarry Road.
Clarence W. Fitch, born in 1885 in East Montpelier, was a leader of the cooperative movement of the mid-20th century, when rural families banded together to create social and cultural organizations for the benefit of their communities. He founded . . . — Map (db m135340) HM
Vermont (Washington County), Calais — Historic Kent Tavern
On Kent Hill Road at Old West Church Road, on the right when traveling east on Kent Hill Road.
This brick tavern was built by Abdiel Kent between 1833 and 1837. It served as his home, and from 1837 to 1846 was a stagecoach stop on the road from Montpelier to Canada. The Kent family settled in Calais in 1798 and this section of town is known . . . — Map (db m61212) HM
Vermont (Washington County), East Montpelier — North Montpelier Historic District
On Vermont Route 14 at Factory Street, on the right when traveling south on State Route 14.
This small community – once called Rich's Hollow – was settled in the late 1700s and during the 19th century was an important cultural and industrial center area. Samuel Rich created North Montpelier Pond by damming the Kingsbury Branch . . . — Map (db m87997) HM
Vermont (Washington County), Graniteville — In the late 1950’s Rock of Ages experimented with making lanes out of granite...
Near Graniteville Road.
In the late 1950’s Rock of Ages experimented with making lanes out of granite for use in commercial bowling alleys. Although a few such alleys were created, the concept never caught on. This prototype was used for many years by employees and . . . — Map (db m81271) HM
Vermont (Washington County), Montpelier — Ammi B. Young
Near State Street 0.1 miles east of Bailey Avenue.
This tablet is erected by the people of Vermont in appreciation of the architect of this building Ammi B. Young born in Lebanon N.H. June 19, 1798 died in Washington D.C. March 13, 1874 Work was commenced on this site in the winter of . . . — Map (db m76395) HM
Vermont (Washington County), Montpelier — Ethan Allen
Near State Street 0.1 miles east of Bailey Avenue.
Leader of the Green Mountain Boys demanding the surrender of Ticonderoga "in the name of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress"

Sculptor:Larkin Mead Replica: Aristide J. Piccini — Map (db m76397) HM

Vermont (Washington County), Montpelier — Montpelier Recreation Field
On Elm Street (Vermont Route 12) at Ballfield Road, on the right when traveling north on Elm Street.
Built in 1940 by the Federal Works Projects Administration and home to the Northern League for the Montpelier Senators and the Twin City Trojans from 1941–1952. Many future Major League baseball players played on this historic field. The . . . — Map (db m88008) HM
Vermont (Washington County), Montpelier — Senator William Upham(1792-1853)
On Main Street at Baird Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
“Slavery is a crime against humanity and a sore evil in the body politic.”

William Upham resided here during the first half of the nineteenth century. He was an ardent abolitionist, voting against the Fugitive Slave . . . — Map (db m95409) HM

Vermont (Washington County), Montpelier — State House
On State Street 0.1 miles east of Bailey Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Montpelier became the Capitol in 1808, when the first State House was built. Ammi B. Young's 2nd State House, built in 1838 and destroyed by fire in 1857, was similar to this 3rd structure on the site, completed in 1859. — Map (db m22887) HM
Vermont (Washington County), Montpelier — Vermont Equality For Same-Sex Couples
Near State Street 0.1 miles east of Bailey Avenue.
On December 20, 1999, “in recognition of our common humanity,” The Vermont Supreme Court issued a unanimous ruling in Baker v. State that Vermont same-sex couples were constitutionally entitled "to the same benefits and . . . — Map (db m109338) HM
Vermont (Washington County), Northfield — Norwich UniversityThe Nation’s Oldest Private Military College
On S. Main Street at Park Ave. on S. Main Street.
Founded by Captain Alden Partridge in 1819 as the American Literary, Scientific and Military Academy at Norwich, Vermont, Norwich University was relocated to Northfield, Vermont in 1866. Partridge’s innovative curriculum combined military, . . . — Map (db m95456) HM
Vermont (Washington County), Roxbury — Roxbury Fish Culture Station
On Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
Commonly called "the fish hatchery", this culture station was established in 1891, making it the oldest state hatchery in Vermont. Built in response to the dwindling fish population, the hatchery was funded by an initial state appropriation of . . . — Map (db m136544) HM
Vermont (Washington County), Warren — Population Center
On Fuller Hill Road at Prickly Mountain Road and Senor Road, on the right when traveling east on Fuller Hill Road.
Nearby is an official survey mark, set July 2002, to identify the symbolic center of population for the State of Vermont as determined by the 2000 U.S. Census. The actual center of population (44° 04' 52.05" north latitude, 72° 48' 51.51" west . . . — Map (db m95305) HM
Vermont (Washington County), Waterbury — Dr. Henry Janes
On North Main Street (U.S. 2) 0.2 miles east of Waterbury-Stowe Road (Vermont Route 100), on the right when traveling east.
Henry Janes, physician, soldier, farmer, and humanitarian, was born here January 24, 1832. As head of services at the Union Army hospital immediately after the Battle of Gettysburg, Dr. Janes faced the challenge of caring for 20,000 wounded Union . . . — Map (db m86683) HM
Vermont (Washington County), Waterbury — Vermont State Hospital
On South Main Street (U.S. 2) at Inner Loop Road, on the right when traveling east on South Main Street.
{Front side} The first patients arrived at the new Vermont State Asylum for the insane in 1891. For the next 120 years, the hospital served thousands of Vermonters challenged by mental and other illnesses, and employed hundreds of area . . . — Map (db m88012) HM

17 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement