Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Accomack County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Accomack County Courthouse and Lawyer's Row image, Touch for more information
By Beverly Pfingsten, April 20, 2008
Accomack County Courthouse and Lawyer's Row
Virginia (Accomack County), Accomac — Accomac Historic District
Has been registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark pursuant to the authority vested in the Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission Act of 1966. — Map (db m7827) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Accomac — Accomack County Virginia World War I
In honor of the men of Accomack County, Virginia who died in the service of our country in the World War 1917-1918. — Map (db m7825) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Accomac — Accomack County Virginia World War II, Korea & Vietnam
In honor of the men of Accomack County, Virginia who died in the service of our country in World War II, The Korean war and the Vietnam War. — Map (db m7826) WM
Virginia (Accomack County), Accomac — EP-21 — Birthplace of Governor Wise
Here stood the birthplace of Henry Alexander Wise (1806-1876), Governor of Virginia (1856-1860) and general in the Confederate States Army. A talented orator and debator in an age of great orators, Wise was elected to six terms in Congress. He . . . — Map (db m7823) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Accomac — WY-19 — Debtors Prison
Built in 1783 in one corner of the jailyard to serve as a residence for the jailer, the building served in this capacity for 41 years. Iron bard, oak batten doors and locks were added in 1842 when it was converted into a prison for debtors in . . . — Map (db m7828) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Accomac — Elijah BakerPioneer Baptist of the Eastern Shore of Virginia
who landed at Hunt's Point, Old Plantation Creek, on Easter Sunday 1776 and the same day preached the first Baptist sermon, “At the End of a Horsing Tree.” Opposition of the established church caused him to be deported; but kind . . . — Map (db m71852) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Accomac — Makemie Statue
The Presbyterian Historical Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania erected this monument and dedicated it on May 11, 1908, at Makemie Park on Holder Creek where Francis Makemie is buried at his Pocomoke home. In 1984 the monument was moved here and . . . — Map (db m7829) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Accomac — EP-22 — Mary Nottingham Smith High School
The first high school for blacks in Accomack County was dedicated on this site in 1932. It was named in honor of Mary Nottingham Smith (1892-1951), a black educator who dedicated her life to educating all young people. In 1956, the school was . . . — Map (db m7822) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Belle Haven — WY-13 — Occohannock Indians
The Occohannock Indians, one of the important Virginia Indian groups on the Eastern Shore, were composed of several tribes including the Onancock, Machipongo, Metomkin, Chincoteague, Kegotank, Pungoteague, Chesconessex, and Nandua. Capt. John Smith . . . — Map (db m71855) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Chincoteague Island — Assateague Light House
Assateague Light House Rebuilt 1866-1867 Light House Board Acts of Congress June 20, 1860 and July 28, 1866 — Map (db m98850) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Chincoteague Island — Captain Timothy Hill House
Built circa 1800 is registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark and placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 2011 — Map (db m59833) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Chincoteague Island — Christ Sanctified Holy Church1892 - 1984
Was established on this island on February 14, 1892 by Joseph B. Lynch, not far from this location. Doctrine is Justification and Sanctification. This building was erected in 1903. Since this beginning churches are established throughout the . . . — Map (db m59834) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Chincoteague Island — Keeping the Forest Full of Life
Keeping the Forest Full of Life Wildlife have the same basic needs humans do—food, water, shelter, and space. To make sure those needs are met, refuge staff carefully manage forest areas. They remove some trees, plant others that are . . . — Map (db m98827) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Chincoteague Island — Still Shining...After All These Years
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Assateague Island Lighthouse is a striking landmark that attracts many visitors. At the same time, it is an active aid to navigation, operated by the U.S. Coast Guard, that gives ships a visual . . . — Map (db m98824) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Chincoteague Island — The Wild Ponies
Hardy, compact, and spirited—the horses on Assateague Island run freely over a range bounded by ocean and bay. Bands of mares and young led by protective stallions graze on marsh grasses, drink at freshwater ponds, and retreat into island . . . — Map (db m98826) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Chincoteague Island — Welcome to Assateague Village
In the 1800s, after the lighthouse was built, a small community grew up not far from here. By the early 1900s, about 225 lived in the village, which included a school, dry goods store, and a church. The residents harvested resources from the sea, . . . — Map (db m98825) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Exmore — WY-13 — Occahannock
Five miles west is "Hedra Cottage", site of the home of Colonel Edmund Scarborough (Scarburgh), surveyor general of the colony. Beyond, at the end of Scarborough's Neck, was the village of the Occahannock Indians, the seat of Debedeavon, the . . . — Map (db m7608) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Keller — WY-17 — “The Bear and the Cub”
This first play recorded in the United States was presented August 27, 1665. The Accomack County Court at Pungoteague heard charges against three men “for acting a play,” ordered inspection of costumes and script, but found the men . . . — Map (db m7613) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Keller — WY-16 — Oak Grove Methodist Church
Two miles east, on Route 600, meets what is possibly the nation's oldest continuous Sunday School. Begun by William Elliott in his home in 1785, it was moved in 1816 to Burton's Chapel and in 1870 to the present church. — Map (db m7615) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Onancock — Genl. Edmund R. Bagwell
Born June 2, 1840. Died June 13, 1876. His life was gentle and the elements So mixed in him that Nature might stand up And say in all the World. This was a man. — Map (db m7678) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Onancock — Historic Cemetery
Known as the Scott Hall Cemetery, it dates from the late 18th century. Here will be found the grave of Commodore Whaley of the Maryland Navy who was killed in the Battle of the Barges in the Chesapeake Bay near the mouth of Onancock Creek in . . . — Map (db m7681) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Onancock — Hopkins and Sons; Hopkins and Brothers
Records of this mercantile business date back to 1842. This store also served the community as a bank and as a social and political meeting place. Deeded in 1970 to Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. — Map (db m7675) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Onancock — Kerr Place
An eighteenth century mansion acquired in 1950 by the Eastern Shore of Virginia Historical Society as headquarters for the society. — Map (db m7682) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Onancock — WY-14 — Onancock
Two miles west is Onancock, founded in 1680. A courthouse was then built and used for a few years. Militia barracks were there in the Revolution. From Onancock, Colonel John Cropper went to the aid of Commodore Whaley in the last naval action of the . . . — Map (db m7673) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Onancock — World Wars I and II
Dedicated to the men and women from Onancock and community who devotedly served their country during World Wars I and II — Map (db m7677) WM
Virginia (Accomack County), Pungoteague — WY-18 — “The Bear and the Cub”
Probable site of Fowkes’ Tavern where this first recorded play in English America was performed August 27, 1665. — Map (db m7611) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Banty's Wharf
At the south end of Main Ridge, the road becomes Banny's Road, which once led to Banty's Wharf. Banty's Wharf was named for Capt. John L. "Banty" who lived here with his wife, Mrs. Ellen Elizabeth Shores. For over 200 years the island's primary . . . — Map (db m106987) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Chambers Lane
At the end of Chambers Lane in an area once known as Chambers Wharf, site of the John Chambers Store. Lorraine's Sandwich Shop now occupies the site of the first Post Office, built in 1891. The homes at 4411 and 4413 Chambers Lane were moved . . . — Map (db m107002) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Chesapeake House
The famous Chesapeake House occupies two old island homes. Hilda Crockett opened the business in 1944 in the Peter Crockett House with four guest rooms and a dining room on the porch. She expanded by purchasing the Nathan Rayfield House where the . . . — Map (db m39952) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Daley's Grocery
Peter Williams owned and operated the first store on this site. It was built by Charles Roland Parks and William Walters in the 1920's. It later operated as the Smith and Moore Market and was one of the first businesses to take credit cards when . . . — Map (db m107006) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Doctor's Bungalow
The Doctor's Bungalow was built in 1961 by Grover Charmock. In 1964, Oscar Watson, Jr., MD moved in. It is thought to be the first house on Tangier to have two bathrooms. — Map (db m106990) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Dr. Copter — Flying Medicine to TangierDavid Buell Nichols, MD — Feb 18, 1948 – Dec 30, 2010
Every week for more than thirty years Dr. David Buell Nichols made the voyage from Hummel Field in Middlesex County to Tangier Island in the Chesapeake Bay to administer health care to those in need. For an island with no resident doctor, the sound . . . — Map (db m97803) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — First Mobile Home
The former Noble Dise Store was replaced with the island's first mobile home in 1959. Manufactured homes remain popular today, but require a community-wide effort to move one into place after being delivered to the island by barge. — Map (db m39950) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Fisherman's Corner
Fisherman's Corner Restaurant was featured in Southern Living Magazine (May, 2005) and is renowned for superb stuffed shrimp, irresistible crab bisque, and soft shell crab tidbits. The owners, Irene Eskridge and Mary Stuart Parks rely on . . . — Map (db m107004) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Former Site of New Testament Congregation
In 1946, this building served as the first meeting place of the New Testament Congregation. It was vandalized several times during a rather contentious time in the island's religious history, a story reported in Newsweek, 1947. Throughout the . . . — Map (db m39682) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Q-83 — Fort Albion
In April 1814, during the war of 1812, British forces commanded by Adm. Sir George Cockburn established Fort Albion on the southern tip of Tangier Island. The fort, which included barracks a hospital, a church, parade grounds, and . . . — Map (db m97720) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Gladstone Memorial Health Center
Dr. Charles Gladstone (1880 - 1968) was Tangier's longest serving doctor. He arrived in 1918 and was always on call. Monthly, he would go door-to-door to collect his flat fee of $1.50 but would accept whatever the family could afford. This monthly . . . — Map (db m39684) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Gravestones
Many people ask about the gravestones in front yards. While not unique to Tangier Island and seen throughout the Eastern Shore of Virginia, these are more obvious on such a small island. A number of reasons have been given for these burial sites: . . . — Map (db m106973) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Ice Cream StandSite of Tangier's only unsolved murder
This is the site of the island's only unsolved murder. Charles C. "Bud" Connorton, the Town Sergeant, was eating in an earlier building here when he was fatally shot through an open window. His assailant was never identified. — Map (db m39555) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — J.E. Wallace & Co. Store
John Wallace (1855-1926) moved to Tangier in the 1870's. The J.E. Wallace & Co. Store was on the corner of Wallace Road and West Ridge, facing Wallace Road. It sold groceries, general merchandise, and coffins, as Wallace also worked as an . . . — Map (db m106992) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Joshua Thomas Lane
The Joshua Thomas House is long gone, replaced by the modern, chalet style house at the end of the lane. Joshua Thomas, the renowned "Parson of the Islands," lived here from 1799 until about 1825. The Tangier Town Hall is a former US Navy . . . — Map (db m106998) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Lee’s Bethel
This cemetery is the possible site of Lee’s Bethel, the island’s first church. Next to the cemetery is the last of the island’s once plentiful garden farms. Tangiermen were famous for growing melons, filling their boats until just the gunnels . . . — Map (db m97873) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Long Bridge
Long Bridge, formerly called Mooney's Bridge, leads over the Main or Big Gut back to the section of Tangier known as "Meat Soup." The house at the end of the bridge was the home of Norris Angle, who operated the Ambulance Boat. An airplane . . . — Map (db m107001) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Methodist Parsonage
The Methodist Parsonage, the home of the resident Reverend and his family, was erected in 1887. It is the only house on the island with a basement and the first to have an indoor bathroom. It was the first house to have chain link fence, . . . — Map (db m39949) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — New Testament Congregation
The New Testament Congregation was dedicated on Easter Sunday, 1957, and occupies the same site used for the Chautauqua tent in the 1920's. The New Testament Mission House was once the home of teacher Alfred Benson (1893-1963) who taught at the . . . — Map (db m106975) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Old Shirt Factory
Factory Road was originally named New Road. It is said to have been built by Henry Frazier, a Black man, by hand, around the time of the Civil War. In 1919, George Lawson of Crisfield, MD in association with the Kegan, Grace & W. Shirt Makers Guild . . . — Map (db m106988) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Parks Marina
Owner Milton Parks has provided warm hospitality to boaters for decades. His marina serves local watermen, commercial and recreational boat traffic. (captions) Milton Parks on his scooter - Kaye, 2005 Oyster Buy Boats at Park's . . . — Map (db m106963) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Peter Crockett Store
The new house on the corner of Garman Road and Main Ridge is the site of the former Peter S. Crockett Store, later Daughtery & Ward, and then Haynie Grocery. It had a two-story front porch and was featured in many old photographs. . . . — Map (db m106972) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Spanky's Place
Spanky's Place, now an ice cream parlor with a 50's theme, is one of many businesses to occupy this site. These include Michael Thomas's store that sold stoves and propane, Jolly Jim's Restaurant, Nice's Place, and the Roadside Restaurant. It was . . . — Map (db m106966) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Swain Memorial United Methodist Church
The most prominent of the island's buildings, Swain Memorial United Methodist Church is easily recognized as the focal point of Tangier. Built in 1899 on the site of the island's second church (1842), it is the center of the Tangier's religious . . . — Map (db m39998) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Tangier Harbor
Mailboat Harbor replaced Steamboat Harbor in the 1930’s as the age of steamboats came to a close. The harbor was first dredged in 1922, from the Eastern side. In 1967, the harbor was dredged through to the Western side of the island. This was a . . . — Map (db m39554) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Tangier History Museum and Interpretive Cultural Center (THMICC)
This is the site of the former Lewis Crockett Store. It is also the site where in 1936, the Goodyear Blimp arrived with provisions to feed the islanders, who had been frozen in for over two months during a record freeze. The Visitors Center and . . . — Map (db m106969) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Q-7-a — Tangier Island
The island was visited in 1608 by Captain John Smith, who gave it the name. A part was patented by Ambrose White in 1670. It was settled in 1686 by John Crockett and his sons’ families. In 1814, it was the headquarters of a British fleet ravaging . . . — Map (db m46705) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Tangier Island Veterans Memorial
In honor of the men and women of Tangier Island who have served their country faithfully since World War II — Map (db m107036) WM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Tangier Island Veterans Memorial
In honor of the men and women of Tangier Island who have faithfully served their country. — Map (db m107037) WM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Tangier Island World Wars I and II Memorial
In honor of the men and women of Tangier Island who faithfully served their country in World Wars I and II World War I *Crockett, William L. *Crockett, Tubman World War II *Charnock, Ray H. *Crockett, Charles A. Jr. *Crockett, . . . — Map (db m107033) WM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Tangier Volunteer Fire Department
The Tangier Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1964 and moved to this location in 1983. Fire is especially dangerous on a small island. where wooden houses are close together, allowing fire to spread quickly, especially when fanned by . . . — Map (db m106986) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Telephone Office, Post Office & Myrt’s
The Telephone Building was built in 1966 by Grover Charnock when radiotelephones were finally replaced with a microwave tower. In front of this is a new home, built on the site of the former Grand Theater, built in 1929 by Gordon Daley, . . . — Map (db m97690) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — The Amanda Wallace Pruitt House
The Amanda Wallace Pruitt House was also the home of Reverend James C. Richardson after his resignation from the Methodist church. He founded the New Testament Church, which met here from 1948-1956. Services were held in the living room and . . . — Map (db m106996) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — The Connorton House
The Connorton House was the home of the town Sergeant, Bud Connorton. On Sunday April 11, 1920, Sergeant Connorton shot and wounded 17 year old Roland Parks. He was trying to enforce a town ordinance that forbade "loafing on store porches and . . . — Map (db m39954) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — The Doctor's House
The Doctor's House was owned consecutively by doctors Samuel Oglesby, William Daisey, Bache Gill, and Charles Gladstone. Dr. Gladstone never lived there, but boarded next door in the Sidney Crockett House. Dr. Gladstone's former office still . . . — Map (db m39951) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — The Double Six
The Double Six Sandwich Shop is where the watermen meet at 3:00 AM for "smokes and coffee" before heading down to the docks to the day's work. Named for the game of Dominos, the shop is open for sandwiches year-round, and was often considered a . . . — Map (db m39683) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — The Edward Crockett House
The Edward Crockett House was formerly the home of "Sugar Tom" Crockett (1833-1905) the Island's first historian, and author of Facts & Fun, the first written history of Tangier Island. It later served as a hotel and the office of Dr. W.O. . . . — Map (db m106967) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — The Emily Pruitt House
The Emily Pruitt House was home to the island's sail-making seamstress, a critically important job before the invention of motorized boats. — Map (db m106994) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — The John Thomas House
The John Thomas House marks the dividing line between the old Thomas and Wallace family lands. At the end of the 19th century, these two families owned almost all of the land on the western side of the island. — Map (db m106991) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — The Joshua Pruitt House
The Joshua Pruitt House is one of the oldest on Tangier. Joshua Pruitt (1866-1949) and his wife Amanda took in boarders, teachers, and held worship services in their front yard. Pruitt traveled to Washington, DC, during the Great . . . — Map (db m106968) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — The Miss Minnie & Capt. Charlie Pruitt House
Miss Minnie and Capt. Charlie raised eight children in this house. In order to accommodate the entire family at a single table, Capt. Charlie commissioned Henry Jander to build them a table capable of seating ten people. Later, one son, Orville, and . . . — Map (db m106989) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — WY-22 — The Parson of the Islands
Joshua Thomas (1776–1853) became a skilled waterman from the in his youth and ferried clergymen from the mainland to the islands of the Chesapeake Bay. He converted to Methodism about 1807, was licensed as an exhorter (or lay preacher) . . . — Map (db m97688) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — The Patrick Benson House
Patrick Benson, a ship's captain from Dublin, Ireland, purchased this land in 1879. The middle section of house was completed in 1889. The front section with porch and back section with kitchen and outbuilding were added over the years, but . . . — Map (db m106977) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — The Peter Dise House
The Peter Dise House is one of the oldest on the island and was moved from the "Uppards," the now unoccupied marsh north of the harbor. There were originally four fresh water wells on the island, two on Maine Ridge, one on Canton Ridge and one on . . . — Map (db m39953) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — The Sydney Wallace House
The Sydney Wallace House is one of the Island's most admired. Built in 1904 and restored in 1995 by Wallace's grandson, it now operates as the Bay View Inn. (caption) Sydney Wallace House - National Geographic, 1973 — Map (db m106993) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Welcome To Historic Tangier Island
For almost 250 years the people of Tangier have wrested a living and a lifestyle from the waters that surround them. Most of their days have been occupied with family, work, church, and the other normal pursuits in which we all engage. But they have . . . — Map (db m97723) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Welcome to Historic Tangier Island
For almost 250 years the people of Tangier have wrested a living and a lifestyle from the waters that surround them. Most of their days have been occupied with family, work, church, and the other normal pursuits in which we all engage. But they have . . . — Map (db m106961) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Temperanceville — Anne Makemie Holden
Honors Anne Makemie Holden Landowner, successful business woman manager, champion of American Independence. Daughter of Naomi and Francis Makemie, founder of organized American Presbyterianism Presented June 17, 1998 by Virginia Business and . . . — Map (db m7835) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Temperanceville — WY-15 — Founder of Presbyterianism
Five miles west was the home of the Rev. Francis Makemie, founder of Presbyterianism in the United States. About 1684, Makemie established in Maryland the first Presbyterian Church. Later he moved to Accomac and married. He died here in 1708. — Map (db m7830) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Temperanceville — Francis Makemie Monument
Erected in Gratitude to God And in grateful, remembrance of his servant and minister Francis Makemie, who was born in Ramelton, County Donegal, Ireland, A.D. 1658(?) was educated at Glasgow University, Scotland, and came as an ordained Evangelist to . . . — Map (db m7838) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Temperanceville — Makemie Monument Park
Welcome to Makemie Monument Park Designated as A Virginia Historic Landmark September 6, 2006. And placed on the National Register of Historic Places February 15, 2007. — Map (db m7833) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Temperanceville — This Memorial Pyramid
Commemorates the belief that in this ancient family cemetery were buried near the remains of Francis Makemie, those of his wife Naomi, his daughters Elizabeth and Madame Anne Holden, and his father-in-law, William Anderson. Also those of John . . . — Map (db m7840) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Wallops Island — WY 12-a — NASA Wallops Flight Facility
The Wallops Island Flight Facility was established in 1945 by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics and is one of the oldest launch sites in the world. This facility was built to conduct aeronautical research using rocket-propelled . . . — Map (db m63666) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Wallops Island — Welcome to the NASA Visitor Center
The visitor center displays NASA’s past, present and future projects, as well as, Wallops flight facility’s role in Aeronautical and Space research. The NASA Goddard Space Flight Center’s Wallops flight facility was established in 1945, and is one . . . — Map (db m95122) HM

80 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement