Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Alexandria Virginia Historical Markers

249 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 49
 
"For God and Country" Marker image, Touch for more information
By Allen C. Browne, March 15, 2014
"For God and Country" Marker
Virginia, Alexandria — "For God and Country"
In Loving Memory of Kate Waller Barrett, 1859-1925 First President American Legion Auxiliary Department of Virginia 1922 National President American Legion Auxiliary 1923 ▼▲▼▲▼ This Tablet . . . — Map (db m72401) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — "Pursuers of Booth the Assassin" — Alexandria National Cemetery
. . . — Map (db m73446) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — 115 Prince Street — Captain's Row
George Washington's 1749 Survey shows this lot fronting the Potomac River. The original house on this site was built in 1783. It was destroyed in the great fire of January 18, 1827, which consumed 53 houses and numerous outbuildings in Old Town. . . . — Map (db m71794) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — 1323 Duke Street – From Slavery to Freedom and Service — Alexandria Heritage Trail —
Text, upper half of marker panel: This house, built by Emmanuel Jones by 1888, stands at the corner of a block that witnessed the extremes of 19th century African American experience. From a slave trading company to significant . . . — Map (db m46124) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — 204 South Royal
Built in 1880, 204 South Royal Street was originally the site of the Concordia Hotel. Commissioned by Jacob Borhaus, the Concordia incorporated every modern convenience. The original hotel entrance was located on Royal Street. A two story wing . . . — Map (db m131347) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — A National Cemetery System
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union troops. . . . — Map (db m92115) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — A Tale of Three Jurisdictions
Did you know that you traverse the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia when you cross this bridge? The brass lines in the walkway mark the boundaries. They also commemorate the cooperation required to build this bridge. Follow the . . . — Map (db m60241) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — A Very Different View: Living and Working in 1700s Alexandria
Alexandria's Changing Shoreline In 1749 the town of Alexandria was laid out on 10 to 15 foot bluffs around a crescent of shallow water. The back edge of John Carlyle's property, where you are standing now, was about 15 feet above the Potomac . . . — Map (db m129171) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — A World War I Shipyard Transforms Jones Point — From Shoals to Ships — 1918-1921 —
During World War I (1914-1918), the U.S. government targeted Jones Point as the site for a private shipyard, one of 111 built to aid the war effort. The Virginia Shipbuilding Corporation yard, constructed just before war's end, was designed to build . . . — Map (db m127780) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — African American Heritage Memorial
[Plaque on the left side of the entrance:] From the establishment of Alexandria in 1749 to the present time, African Americans have been a vibrant part of this city's history. The City of Alexandria would not exist in its present form . . . — Map (db m131547) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria — Alexandria in the Civil War
“Alexandria is ours,” declared Col. Orlando Wilcox of the 1st Michigan Vol. Inf. as his regiment captured the city on the morning of May 24, 1861. When Virginia's vote of secession became effective, Union forces immediately crossed the . . . — Map (db m159) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria — A Place Through Time
13,000 years ago The Paleoindian Period A Native American hunter during the Paleoindian period discards a broken spear point, on a bluff overlooking a tributary to the Potomac River at the southern edge of present-day Alexandria. . . . — Map (db m115772) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-89 — Alexandria Academy
On 17 Dec. 1785, George Washington endowed a school here in the recently established Alexandria Academy “for the purpose of educating orphan children.” In 1812, an association of free African Americans founded its own school here in . . . — Map (db m813) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria and Fredericksburg Railroad
The rails embedded in the brick sidewalk along this block of Fayette Street come from the Alexandria and Fredericksburg Railroad. Chartered in 1864 and completed to Quantico by 1872, this rail line ran in the street and spurred industrial growth in . . . — Map (db m115685) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria Archaeology Museum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
The launch of urban renewal in 1965 led to a boom of archaeological discoveries in Alexandria's Old and Historic District. As buildings were razed exposing artifact-laden layers of history, community outcry demanded that the City address and halt . . . — Map (db m115770) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria Canal (1843 - 1886) — Lock #3
Buried beneath this canal stone lies Lock #3 of the Alexandria Canal, which connected the Harbor of Alexandria with the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal in Georgetown, D.C. between 1843 and 1886. After Crossing the Potomac on an aqueduct bridge near the . . . — Map (db m80668) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-88 — Alexandria Library Sit-In
On 21 August 1939, five young African American men applied for library cards at the new Alexandria Library to protest its whites-only policy. After being denied, William Evans, Edward Gaddis, Morris Murray, Clarence Strange, and Otto L. Tucker each . . . — Map (db m82774) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria National Cemetery
Securing the Capital On May 24, 1861, Gen. Winfield Scott ordered eleven regiments of Union troops from Washington, D.C., across the Potomac River, where they captured Arlington and Alexandria. After their defeat in July at Manassas, . . . — Map (db m92113) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria Post No. 24, American Legion
This structure stands on the site of a late eighteenth-century brick dwelling, part of a complex owned by John Wise and leased to John Gadsby, both noted Alexandria tavern keepers. The Alexandria Post No. 24, American Legion, purchased the . . . — Map (db m129180) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria Railroads
Three railroads developed in Alexandria during the mid-19th century, a period of limited industrial expansion for the City. Alexandrians had a invested heavily in the Alexandria Canal which opened in 1843, giving the city access to the rich . . . — Map (db m72379) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria Washington Lodge — No. 22 AF & AM
Chartered A.D. 1788 Destroyed by Fire May 19, A.D. 1871 Rebuilt A.D. 1874 Adolf Cluss - Architect This plaque mounted in cooperation with the City of Alexandria by the Alexandria-Washington Lodge No. 22 Ancient Free and . . . — Map (db m69947) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria, D.C. — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Alexandria was established by Virginia's colonial assembly in 1749, over four decades the U.S. Congress authorized creation of a national capital on the banks of the Potomac River. Once the final site for the Federal city was selected by President . . . — Map (db m115707) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria, Virginia — Market Square — Alexandria Historic District —
Wording on stone tablet to left: Alexandria, Virginia County seat of Fairfax 1742-1800 Organized 13th July, 1749 Incorporated by the Assembly of Virginia 1779 Ceded to the Federal Government 1789 First boundary . . . — Map (db m69923) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-124 — Alfred Street Baptist Church
Alfred Street Baptist Church is home to the oldest African American congregation in Alexandria, dating to the early 19th century. It has served as a prominent religious, educational, and cultural institution. In 1818, the congregation, then . . . — Map (db m14623) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — American Red Cross
This building, originally built as a bottling plant for the Robert Portner Brewing Company in 1912, was purchased along with the land surrounding it by the American National Red Cross in the spring of 1941. It served as the organization's Eastern . . . — Map (db m134971) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — ASIS International 9/11 Memorial
In honor and memory of our colleagues in the security profession whose lives were lost in the performance of their duty on September 11th in New York, and all others who have been called upon to make the ultimate sacrifice, ASIS International values . . . — Map (db m131393) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Bank of Alexandria
Established in 1792, this was the first financial institution authorized by the General Assembly of Virginia. The building was completed in 1807. It is one of the oldest surviving commercial structures in Alexandria and is a fine local example of . . . — Map (db m81250) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Barrett Library/Black History Museum
The Alexandria Library's Kate Waller Barrett Branch (2 blocks north, 1 block east) and the Alexandria Black History Museum (6 blocks north) have an unusual shared history. The library building was constructed in 1938 and named for Dr. Kate Waller . . . — Map (db m115715) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Battery Cove Filled: A New Shipyard
Between 1911 and 1912, Battery Cove, the shallow bay extending from the southern edge of Keith's Wharf southward to Jones Point, was [unreadable] for the Civil War Battery Rodgers and was used as a small [unreadable] for an extensive dredging . . . — Map (db m127768) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Battery Rodgers
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Battery Rodgers Here stood Battery Rodgers, built in 1863 to prevent enemy ships from passing up the Potomac River. The battery had a perimeter of 30 yards and mounted five 200 pounder Parrott . . . — Map (db m41413) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Bayne-Fowle House
This property has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Bayne-Fowle House 1854 [Additional plaques above:] The Bayne-Fowle House has been . . . — Map (db m134975) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-139 — Beulah Baptist Church
African Americans escaping slavery found refuge in Alexandria after Union troops occupied the city in 1861. The Rev. Clement “Clem” Robinson established the First Select Colored School in 1862. Hundreds of students registered for day and . . . — Map (db m98079) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Bombproof
Two bombproofs, each measuring 200 feet long by 12.5 feet wide, were located in the center of Fort Ward. During normal operations the bombproofs were used as meeting rooms, storage facilities, and sometimes as a prison. In the event of an attack, . . . — Map (db m7716) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Braddock Cannon
(North Side): This monument marks the trail taken by the army of General Braddock which left Alexandria on April 20, 1755 to defend the western frontier against the French and Indians. Erected by the Society of Colonial Dames of America . . . — Map (db m7567) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Brick Making on Broomilaw Point — ca. 1882-1919 — City of Alexandria, Est. 1749 —
John Tucker's small factory at Broomilaw Point was one of several brickyards that operated in the City of Alexandria. Park Agnew and M.B. Harlow bought the brickworks in 1890, expanding and mechanizing Tucker's small operation. By 1890, the . . . — Map (db m127763) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Brigadier General Montgomery D. Corse, CSA
Brigadier General Montgomery D. Corse, CSA Born here in 1816, died Alexandria 1895. Volunteer, Mexican War 1846-1848. Prospector in California, Commander, 17th Virginia Infantry Regiment, CSA. Post-war civic leader and banker. Buried . . . — Map (db m65489) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Building Potomac Yard — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Potomac Yard —
Potomac Yard was located between Washington D.C. and Alexandria because the site already served as the confluence of many shipping routes; was centrally located on the eastern seaboard; and would alleviate troublesome train congestion from smaller . . . — Map (db m115669) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Bush Hill
Josiah Watson, a wealthy merchant and postmaster of Alexandria, established his 272-acre plantation, “Bush Hill”, in 1791. Richard Marshall Scott purchased the plantation in 1791; his family stayed here for 200 years. Scott was an . . . — Map (db m2610) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Capt. James McGuire House
Built 1816-18 by Capt. James McGuire Occupied for much of his Alexandria ministry by Rev. Samuel Cornelius, Pastor First Baptist Church, 1824-41 Restored 1964-65 by Mr. & Mrs. John Page Elliott Alexandria Historical Restoration . . . — Map (db m66551) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Captain Rocky Versace Plaza and Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Captain Rocky Versace Plaza and Vietnam Veterans Memorial [In the center of the memorial:] ★ My son is ★ was ★ he often did ★ does ★ his eyes are ★ were brown ★ Tere Rios Versace . . . — Map (db m115677) WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Carlyle House Historic Park
This unique building, constructed of stone and set back from the street, was built by John Carlyle, a British merchant and one of the original founders of Alexandria. Witness to both domestic life and war, today the house stands as a museum . . . — Map (db m129168) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Carver Nursery School / Post 129 — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
This modest, wood-frame building has played an important role in the segregated history of Alexandria. During World War II, the federal government encouraged women to join the war effort by providing safe and affordable day care. In Alexandria, as . . . — Map (db m129190) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Carver School — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Just two blocks north of this location along Fayette Street (named for the Marquis de Lafayette who visited Alexandria in 1824), near the southwest corner of Queen Street, stood the Old Powder House, dating from 1791-1809. On the same spot, the . . . — Map (db m115713) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Christ Church — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Before the American Revolution, the Church of England was the established church of Virginia and part of the colonial government. For administrative purposes, the colony was divided into "parishes" and all residents paid taxes to maintain church . . . — Map (db m115716) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — City of Alexandria World War I Memorial
In honor of all from the City of Alexandria who served and died during World War I Robert Adams George Anderton Stanley Bernard Herbert Bernhard William Bradley Bernard Brock William Brown Christopher Cloxom Thomas Cook . . . — Map (db m129195) WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Civil War and Restoration
Civil War Comes to Carlyle House If you stood in this spot 150 years ago, you would be inside a building! In 1848 James Green purchased Carlyle House and the building in front of you, the first Bank of Alexandria. He turned it into a hotel . . . — Map (db m129170) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Col. John Fitzgerald
Here stood the home of Col. John Fitzgerald favorite aide-de-camp and bosom friend of Washington Erected by Col. John Fitzgerald Chapter New Jersey Catholic Historical Society — Map (db m115761) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Colonel Francis Peyton
In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, this land was part of a larger parcel owned by Colonel Francis Peyton and the land was later inherited by his son, Lucien. In 1851, Lucien Peyton sold this property, depicted on the 1845 map of Alexandria, . . . — Map (db m115704) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Colross-Alexandria's Urban Phoenix — Alexandria Heritage Trail
For over a century, this two-acre block was occupied by a mansion known as Colross. Built in 1800 by John Potts, the mansion, with its outbuildings, gardens, orchard, and a "clover lot" was in effect a small plantation. Colross's owners . . . — Map (db m72384) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Confederate Soldiers
"How sleep the brave who sink to rest By all their country's wishes blest" Beneath this mound lie the remains of thirty-four Confederate Soldiers Which were disinterred from the Alexandria Soldiers' Cemetery (Federal) and reinterred . . . — Map (db m129286) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery Memorial
The Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery Memorial is dedicated to honoring more than 1,700 people of African descent buried here during and following the Civil War, as well as those who may have been laid to rest after the cemetery officially . . . — Map (db m77244) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery Memorial
Seeking freedom and a chance to begin a new life thousands of African Americans fleeing slavery flooded Civil War-era Alexandria. The city was quickly overwhelmed, and as living conditions grew dire, many perished from disease and deprivation. In . . . — Map (db m86652) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Corporal Charles William Hill — 1949-1989
Charles W. Hill was born on February 22, 1949, in Suffolk County, New York. Charlie, as he was known to his friends, grew up on Long Island where he met his wife, Virginia. They married in 1971. Charlie was hired as a New York City Police Officer . . . — Map (db m115684) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Cross Canal — Historic Site
This area, called "Cross Canal," was a neighborhood of black residents who settled across from the canal shortly after the Civil War. The canal, located just north of this marker, extended from the Potomac River to Washington Street, thence north to . . . — Map (db m129476) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Crossroads of Transportation — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Potomac Yard —
The Potomac Yard site has historically been an intersection for transportation because of its location between Washington D.C. and Alexandria and the availability of open, level land near the river. Even before Potomac Yard was built, the property . . . — Map (db m115667) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — D.C.'s First Building Block — Jones Point Park
In 1791, surveyors on Jones Point began to lay out the ten-mile square that would become Washington, D.C. The first marker for the survey—the south cornerstone—was set in place on this spot. Although the stone within this protective . . . — Map (db m60162) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Dr. Bernard Stier, O.D. (1930-2005)
Dr. Bernard Stier, O.D. (1930-2005), practiced optometry at this address from the late 1950s to 1998. Dr. Stier moved his practice here after practicing at 716 King Street with his uncle, Dr. Moses Katz, O.D. (1913-1957). A longtime Alexandrian, Dr. . . . — Map (db m115717) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Dr. Betty Louise Josephson King — 1943-2016
Betty King was a scientist, teacher, community activist, photographer, mother, grandmother, neighbor, and friend who lived in the Hume Springs neighborhood in north Alexandria from the early 1980's until she passed away in her home on Mark Drive on . . . — Map (db m130985) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Early Alexandria and Keith's Wharf
During the 17th century, settlers began to establish small plantations near landing places on the Potomac River. Oceangoing ships could load tobacco and other goods to export to Great Britain. The area that was to become Alexandria was still . . . — Map (db m127772) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Edgar Warfield — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
One of King Street's greatest commercial buildings was built by one of Alexandria's most beloved citizens. Edgar Warfield, Jr. was born in 1842, and at the age of 18 he co-founded the "Old Dominion Rifles," a Confederate militia that served in the . . . — Map (db m115749) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Electric Railway — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Alexandria's electric streetcar system, the Washington, Alexandria & Mount Vernon Railway, was established in 1892 between Alexandria and Mount Vernon. In 1896, the line extended into Washington, crossing the Long Bridge where the 14th Street Bridge . . . — Map (db m115760) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Engin Artemel
As Planning Director (1977-1984) Engin Artemel led the City of Alexandria in planning for the transformation of its industrial waterfront to one that can be enjoyed by visitors and residents alike. Inspired by beautiful active urban waterfronts in . . . — Map (db m99596) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Entrance Gate to Fort Ward — Officers' Hut
The Fort Ward entrance gate, completed in May 1865, provided the only access to the interior of the fort. The gate's decorative details include stands of cannonballs and the insignia (castle) of the Army Corps of Engineers which designed and . . . — Map (db m7680) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — T-45 — Episcopal High School
Episcopal High School, on the hill to the southwest, was founded in 1839 as a boys' preparatory school, one of the first in the South; girls were admitted in 1991. The school was a pioneer in the establishment of student honor codes in preparatory . . . — Map (db m7559) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Fighting Back — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
With Alexandria under British control in August 1814, top-ranking U.S. military men gathered at this high point above the city. President Madison conferred with Secretary of the Navy William Jones, Brigadier General John Hungerford, and U.S. Navy . . . — Map (db m81243) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — First Catholic Church in Virginia — A. D. 1795
This stone taken from the canal of the Potomac Company of which Washington and Fitzgerald were Directors commemorates the erection of the First Catholic Church in Virginia, A. D. 1795, which stood until 1839 about twenty feet behind this . . . — Map (db m79678) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — First Original Federal Boundary Stone — District of Columbia
Placed April 15, 1791. Protected by Mount Vernon Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, April 30, 1926. — Map (db m60178) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — 22 — First Presbyterian Church of Alexandria — "Old Presbyterian Meeting House" — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
Panel 1 - upper middle of east face: The First Presbyterian Church of Alexandria founded A.D. 1772 House of worship erected 1774. Destroyed by lightning July 20, 1835. Rebuilt on the same lot A.D. 1836. Panel 2 - . . . — Map (db m122164) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — For God and Country
Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers, Sailors and Marines from Alexandria, Virginia who gave their lives during the World War. Geo. M. Anderton Herbert Bernhard Thos. W. Cook John Crilly Arthur Curran Percy C. Dove . . . — Map (db m129194) WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Former USCT Burial Ground — Rather Die Freemen Than Live To Be Slaves
This corner of the cemetery was probably reserved for members of the U.S. Colored Troops, some of whom were veterans of battles like the siege of Petersburg and the Battle of the Crater. In 1864, a group of USCT convalescing at L'Ouveruture Hospital . . . — Map (db m87058) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Fort Ellsworth
Fort Ellsworth, one of 68 earthen forts built to protect Washington during the Civil War, was constructed in 1861. When completed, the fort had a perimeter of 618 yards and was an irregular Vauban-type star design of French origin. The fort was . . . — Map (db m45046) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Fort Ellsworth — Historical Site — Defenses of Washington 1861 - 1865 —
Here stood Fort Ellsworth, named for Colonel Elmer E. Ellsworth who was killed during the Union Army's occupation of Alexandria on May 24, 1861. Built in 1861, the fort had a perimeter of 618 yards and emplacement for 29 guns. — Map (db m133932) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Fort Ward — 1861-1865
On May 24, 1861, when Virginia's secession from the Union became effective, Federal forces immediately occupied Northern Virginia to protect the City of Washington, D.C. After the Confederate victory at the Battle of First Bull Run (First Manassas) . . . — Map (db m7676) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Fort Ward — 1861-1865
This stairway leads up the west wall of Fort Ward between the Northwest Bastion (to the left) and the Southwest Bastion (to the right). Fort Ward had 14 cannon emplacements along this area of the wall that created overlapping fields of fire. . . . — Map (db m7709) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Fort Ward
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Ward Here stands Fort Ward, constructed in 1861 to protect the approaches to Alexandria by Little River Turnpike and Leesburg Turnpike. In 1864, the fort was enlarged to a perimeter of 818 . . . — Map (db m41117) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Fort Williams
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861 - 1865 100 yards to the west stood Fort Williams, built in 1863 to guard the approaches to Alexandria by Little River Turnpike and Telegraph Road. It had a perimeter of 250 yards and emplacements . . . — Map (db m80467) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Fort Worth
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861 - 1865 Here stood Fort Worth, built in 1861. It had a commanding view of the Cameron Valley and guarded the approach to Alexandria by Little River Turnpike. The fort had a perimeter of 463 yards . . . — Map (db m80466) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-131 — Franklin and Armfield Slave Office — (1315 Duke Street)
Isaac Franklin and John Armfield leased this brick building with access to the wharves and docks in 1828 as a holding pen for enslaved people being shipped from Northern Virginia to Louisiana. They purchased the building and three lots in 1832. From . . . — Map (db m72628) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Franklin P. Backus Courthouse — Dedicated in his honor November 17, 1989
University of Virginia, LLB 1936 Admitted to practice before the Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals 1936 United States Naval Reserve Officer, World War II 1942-1946 Mayor and Member of City Council of City of Alexandria . . . — Map (db m115750) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-109 — Freedmen’s Cemetery
Federal authorities established a cemetery here for newly freed African Americans during the Civil War. In January 1864, the military governor of Alexandria confiscated for use as a burying ground an abandoned pasture from a family with Confederate . . . — Map (db m122082) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Freedom House Museum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
The building at 1315 Duke Street, two blocks south of here, was originally built around 1812 as a residence for General Robert Young, commander of Alexandria's militia, who died in 1824. This three-story brick building then became the headquarters . . . — Map (db m115706) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Friendship Fire Company
Organized 1774 Original building erected July 23, 1855 New addition erected October 30, 1972 Housing relics for future generations. Gift of Bernard B. Brown — Map (db m65818) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Friendship Firehouse — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
In an 18th century town of mostly wooden buildings, where open flames provided heat, light and cooking on a daily basis, Alexandrians constantly faced the danger of fire. Water to fight fires had to be carried in buckets from nearby wells, town . . . — Map (db m115714) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — From Factory to Housing — The History of 515 N. Washington Street — City of Alexandria, Est. 1749 —
Alexandria's First Cotton Factory On April 19, 1847, the Mount Vernon Manufacturing Company purchased this lot along North Washington Street. The present building on this site was completed a year later in 1848, becoming the city's first . . . — Map (db m127782) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Gadsby’s Tavern
Erected 1792. Popular resort and famous hostelry of the Eighteenth Century. Here was held in 1798 the first celebration of Washington's Birthday in which he participated, and from its steps Washington held his last military review and gave his last . . . — Map (db m146) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Gadsby's Tavern — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Restoration In the early 20th century Alexandria's economy was struggling, despite major efforts to develop a strong industrial base. But by the early 1920s, inspired by efforts to restore the colonial city of Williamsburg, Virginia, . . . — Map (db m129178) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Gadsby's Tavern Museum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Gadsby's Tavern Museum consists of two buildings — the smaller c.1875 tavern and larger 1792 City Tavern and Hotel. While both were constructed by John Wise, they were made famous by John Gadsby, a rising tavern keeper who rented the buildings . . . — Map (db m115755) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Gazette House
This building dates to 1801. Between 1852-1911 the Alexandria Gazette newspaper was printed here. In 1862 while Alexandria was occupied by the North during the Civil War, Union soldiers burned this building because it was reported here that St. Paul . . . — Map (db m41832) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — George Johnston's Home
Trustee of Alexandria 1752 until death in 1765, and was succeeded on board of trustees by George Washington. Member of House of Burgesses and moved the adoption of Patrick Henry's resolution on the "Stamp Act." — Map (db m131392) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — George Washington High School
Dedicated to the memory of those of our boys who served in World War II and did not come back Erected by the graduating classes of 1943**1944**1945**1946**1947 (west side) Robert Rumshin • Herbert Joseph Petrello • Benjamin J. . . . — Map (db m80571) WM
Virginia, Alexandria — George Washington in Alexandria — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
George Washington considered Alexandria his hometown after its founding in 1749, and it is here that he came to do business, learn the events of the world, pick up mail, and visit friends. His first association with the town was probably as a 17 . . . — Map (db m115747) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — George Washington Memorial Parkway — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
A visit to George Washington's Mount Vernon estate, about nine miles to the south, has long been viewed as a patriotic duty of Americans. In the late 19th century, visitors often traveled there from Washington by boat, stopping first in Alexandria. . . . — Map (db m115719) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Gerald R. Ford — Thirty-Eighth President of the United States — Alexandria Resident 1951-1974 —
Former U.S. President Gerald R. Ford and his family lived in Alexandria for 23 years before he became President. The Fords moved to Park Fairfax in 1951, when he was in his second term in Congress (R-Michigan). The family moved into a new house at . . . — Map (db m133935) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Green & Brother Furniture
Steam Furniture Works. Established 1828. Green & Brother, manufacturers of chamber, hall, parlor, dining-room, school, and church furniture. Wholesale and retail. Ssend for price list. Handrail, newells, balusters, brackets, bed-posts, table-legs; . . . — Map (db m71742) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Guarding the Potomac — Battery Rodgers 1863-1865
The area around Jones Point, which lies just south of the nation’s capital, was an obvious location for early defensive fortifications. During the Civil War (1861-1865), Battery Rodgers was built overlooking the cove to guard the river approach . . . — Map (db m69911) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-86 — Historic Alexandria
Alexandria was named for the family of John Alexander, a Virginia planter who in 1669 acquired the tract on which the town began. By 1732, the site was known as Hunting Creek Warehouse and in 1749 became Alexandria, thereafter a major 18th-century . . . — Map (db m47) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Historic Street
In the 1790's many Alexandria streets were paved with cobblestones. According to legend, Hessian soldiers provided the labor to cobble Princess Street. These cobbles remained essentially untouched until 1979, when the street was restored using the . . . — Map (db m71813) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — History at Four Mile Run Park — La historia de Four Mile Run
Four Mile Run and the course of its namesake waterway have changed dramatically over the centuries, partly due to natural events and partly to modern human engineering. Although a setting for a rich abundance of plant and animal . . . — Map (db m130987) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Home of Charles Lee
[Top plaque] Home of Charles Lee First Collector of Customs, Alexandria 1789 - 1793 Designated an Historic Customhouse Vernon D. Acree U.S. Commissioner of Customs 1976 [Bottom . . . — Map (db m129176) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Home of Dr. James Craik — (Born 1730 - Died Feb. 6, 1814)
Close personal friend and family physician of Washington. Surgeon in Braddock's campaign, also with Washington throughout the Revolutionary War. Was at his bedside when he died and received his last messages. — Map (db m72341) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Home of Edmund Jennings Lee — Completed 1801
Eminent lawyer, he lived here until 1837. His son, Cassius Francis Lee until 1865. Edmund Jennings Lee served as Vestryman and Warden of Christ Church, whose Glebe lands he successfully defended from confiscation after the Revolutionary War. Major . . . — Map (db m8566) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Home of Elisha Cullen Dick — (Born 1750 - Died 1825)
Was consulting physician in Washington's last illness. At the moment of Washington's death he stopped the bedroom clock, which can be seen in Alexandria Washington Lodge, and conducted the Masonic Funeral service at his grave. — Map (db m71751) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Home of George Gilpin 1740-1813
Home of George Gilpin 1740-1813 Member, Fairfax Committee of Safety Colonel, Virginia Regiment Fairfax Militia, Served with General George Washington in New Jersey campaign and Battle of Germantown Surveyor of the Town of . . . — Map (db m115764) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Home of Henry Lee — (Light Horse Harry)
Famous Revolutionary Soldier, Father of Robert E. Lee. Was ardent supporter of Federalists. Defended Washington in political contests and delivered eulogy before Congress at Washington's Death in which he used the now famous phrase: "First in . . . — Map (db m72316) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Hooff's Run Bridge — Alexandria Heritage Trail
The bridge is one of the last remnants of Alexandria's first railroad, the Orange & Alexandria. The “O&ARR,” as it was commonly called, opened in 1851 and had 148 miles of track in 1860. The bridge was constructed by the railroad as it . . . — Map (db m99330) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — In Memory of Alexandria War Dead
Donated by Mrs. Florence Angelo Cannaday Richmond, Virginia Erected in memory of Alexandria War Dead — Map (db m131388) WM
Virginia, Alexandria — In Memory of the Honorary Pall-Bearers of General George Washington
Fellow townsmen, brother Masons, trusted friends, comrades in the cause of American Independence. Col. Charles Simms Col. Dennis Ramsay Col. William Payne Col. George Gilpin Col. Philip Marsteller Col. Charles Little In memory . . . — Map (db m129193) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — James Bland Homes
Funded by the U.S. Public Housing Administration and built by the Alexandria Housing and Redevelopment Authority (ARHA) between 1954 and 1959, the James Bland Homes was Alexandria's fourth public housing project, and it more than doubled the city's . . . — Map (db m72374) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — James Harris House
Built 1816-17 by James Harris Owned 1835-37 by George W. Carlin Occupied late 1830's by William C. Reynolds, twice Secretary Alexandria Lodge of Washington No. 22, A.F. & A.M. Restored 1964-66 by Jean Keith Alexandria Historical . . . — Map (db m66549) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — John Douglass Brown House
Farm house in Fairfax County, Virginia, located upon part of a seven hundred acre land patent granted to Margaret Brent in 1654. Owned and occupied by descendants of John Douglass Brown and Mary Goulding Gretter since 1816. Placed by John . . . — Map (db m71738) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — John Fitzgerald — 1776-1976
This building was the warehouse of John Fitzgerald, Alexandria merchant and officer of the third Virginia Regiment of the Continental Line.

Colonel Fitzgerald was a close friend of General George Washington and he was his secretary and . . . — Map (db m81247) HM

Virginia, Alexandria — E-117 — Jones Point
American Indians first frequented Jones Point to hunt and fish. The point is likely named for an early English settler. By the 1790's, military installations were established at Jones point due to its strategic location on the Potomac River. The . . . — Map (db m79997) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-134 — L’Ouverture Hospital
Named for Toussaint L’Ouverture, the Haitian revolutionary. L’Ouverture Hospttal opened early in 1864 near the Freedmen’s barracks in Alexandria to serve sick and injured United States Colored Troops (USCT). Designed by the U.S. Army, . . . — Map (db m108153) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Lake Cook
Lake Cook is named for Dayton L. Cook, P.E., the City of Alexandria's Director of Transportation and Environmental Services, who was instrumental in the purchase, design, and construction of the Eisenhower Valley public improvements. Mr. Cook helped . . . — Map (db m27160) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-91 — Lee’s Boyhood Home
Robert E. Lee left this home that he loves so well to enter West Point. After Appomattox he returned and climbed the wall to see “if the snowballs were in bloom.” George Washington dined here when it was the home of William Fitzhugh, . . . — Map (db m8548) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-93 — Lee-Fendall House
“Light Horse Harry” Lee, Revolutionary War officer, owned this land in 1784. The house was built in 1785 by Phillip Fendall, a Lee relative. Renovated in 1850 in the Greek Revival style, the house remained in the Lee family until 1903. . . . — Map (db m8567) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Lee-Fendall House — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Revolutionary War hero Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee, father of Confederate General Robert E. Lee, purchased several lots on North Washington Street in Alexandria soon after the War for Independence. He lived with his family in a house on Cameron . . . — Map (db m115721) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Lee-Fendall House
Built by Philip Richard Fendall in 1785 on land purchased from Henry (Light Horse Harry) Lee. Lee was a brilliant cavalry officer in the Revolution, close friend of George Washington, Virginia Assemblyman, member of Congress and Governor of . . . — Map (db m128768) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Living History
Discover the spirit of Alexandria that has been making history for well over two centuries Founded in 1749, Alexandria was the center of commercial and political activity for early patriots such as George Washington as the seeds of the . . . — Map (db m115776) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Lloyd House
Built 1797 by John Wise, tavern keeper, and his residence, until 1799. Rental property when sold to Major Jacob Hoffman 1810–1825, included outbuildings, gardens, small sugar refinery. Next owner Elizabeth Thacker Hooe leased house to Benjamin . . . — Map (db m8613) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Lodge No. 38, Independent Order of Odd Fellows
The first story was built in 1812 as the first female free school in Virginia endowed by Mrs. Martha Washington and Mr. W. B. Dandredge. Potomac Lodge No. 38 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows purchased the property on November 15, 1841 and . . . — Map (db m67083) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Lord Fairfax House
Erected (c.) 1800 by William Yeaton. Residence of Thomas, Ninth Lord Fairfax and his son Dr. Orlando Fairfax until 1875. — Map (db m71811) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — L'Overture Hospital HQ — February 15, 1864
During the Civil War, 217 was the headquarters of the L'Overture Hospital. It was named after Tousaint L'Overture — Hispaniola's (Haiti) slave revolt leader. Patients were African American Union Soldiers & “contrabands” (escaped . . . — Map (db m74279) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Market Square — Old Town — Welcome City of Alexandria 1749 —
Alexandria's Market Square was established only a few years after the town was founded in 1749. The site selected was centrally located in a prime block of the colonial settlement, immediately adjacent to the City Hall. At the time, Cameron and . . . — Map (db m115757) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Marshall House — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
In the early morning hours of May 24, 1861, the day after a public referendum in Virginia supported secession from the United States, Alexandria was invaded by Union forces crossing the Potomac. Colonel Elmer E. Ellsworth, the young commander of the . . . — Map (db m115753) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Meade Memorial Episcopal Church Bell Tower
The 1990 enlargement of this church is dedicated to God's glory and to the memory of the Afro-American Christians, many of them emancipated slaves, who became the congregation of Meade Church by Action of the vestry of Christ Church in 1873, two . . . — Map (db m129187) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Mistress Margaret Brent — (c1601–c1671)
On September 6, 1654, this site was included in a patent of 700 acres granted by the Colony of Virginia to Mistress Margaret Brent (c1601–c1671). An extraordinary woman, she spent most of her adult life fighting discrimination of her sex, she . . . — Map (db m62020) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Mount Vernon Avenue — 1908 Town of Potomac 1929
Proposals for a modern road connecting the nation's capital with the Mount Vernon Estate were raised in 1888 and proceeded in fits and starts for the next forty-two years. By 1900, a patchwork of new roads and renamed existing roads had created . . . — Map (db m115149) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Mountains of Materials and Massive Manpower — Fighting World War I
The concrete foundations you see here were part of a craneway servicing two shipways and launch sites -- elements of an enormous World War I-era shipyard. To speed delivery of cargo ships needed for the war effort, the Virginia Shipbuilding . . . — Map (db m62323) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Northwest Bastion
The plan of Fort Ward consisted of five bastions with positions for 36 guns. The Northwest Bastion illustrates how the entire stronghold appeared in 1864. This bastion is armed with six reproduction weapons based on Fort Ward's original table of . . . — Map (db m7713) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Oakland Baptist Church Cemetery
In 1939, Samuel Javins conveyed the land which was referred to as "Oakland Church lot" nine years earlier, to the Oakland Baptist Church, after the death of his wife, Florence McKnight Javins. She inherited the property from her mother, Harriet . . . — Map (db m81223) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Old Presbyterian Meeting House — Presbyterian Cemetery
In this cemetery rest the earthly remains of Patriots in the Revolutionary War, many of whom were of Scottish ancestry. These Patriots, along with many Presbyterians from Alexandria, fought for the cause of Liberty and assisted the Soldiers of . . . — Map (db m129163) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Orange & Alexandria Roundhouse
Orange & Alexandria Railroad roundhouse, formerly located near Duke and South Henry Streets. Engine named after Brigadier General Herman Haupt, Chief of Transportation, U.S. Military Railroads during the Civil War. Mathew Brady photograph after . . . — Map (db m72622) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 1
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791 - 1792 Protected by Mt. Vernon Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m72932) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 2
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Mt. Vernon Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m73042) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 3
Original Federal Boundary Stone Southwest 3 District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 This plaque placed here on the 200th anniversary of the founding of the City of Washington D.C. Placed here and protected by Colonel John Washington . . . — Map (db m7638) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Original Site of Immanuel Lutheran Church
Original Site of Immanuel Lutheran Church Founded 1870 — Map (db m129185) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Panoramic View of Alexandria — Mathew Brady – 1864
Camp of the 44th New York Volunteer Infantry, also known as the "Ellsworth Avengers" and the "People's Ellsworth Regiment." The unit was raised in honor of Colonel Elmer E. Ellsworth, who was killed at the Marshall House Hotel on May 24, 1861, . . . — Map (db m196) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-137 — Parker-Gray High School
Parker-Gray School opened on Wythe Street in 1920 to serve African American students in grades 1-8. Until upper-level classes were added in 1932, African Americans had to travel to the District of Columbia to attend high school. Civil rights . . . — Map (db m98083) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Phoenix Mill — Alexandria Heritage Trail — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 —
Phoenix Mill is the last surviving remnant of Alexandria's once thriving milling industry. William Hartshorne built the four-story mill in 1801. The mill was built at a time when Northern Virginia's economy shifted from tobacco to grain production, . . . — Map (db m133936) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Pioneer Mill
Pioneer Mill once stood at the end of Duke Street. The photograph shows the many wharves that occupied the blocks where buildings and parks now stand. Warehouses lined the Waterfront interspersed with processing plants for flour and fertilizer, . . . — Map (db m115774) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Port City — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Historically, Alexandria's development moved from east to west, and three distinct areas of the city have unofficially been known as the "West End." The first West End ended at Shuter's Hill, the current site of the George Washington Masonic . . . — Map (db m115709) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Potomac Connections — Tidewater and the Atlantic Coastal Plain — Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail —
George Washington lived in and traveled from this region, pursuing his dream of westward expansion—to connect the Atlantic Seaboard with the frontier West. His efforts to use the Potomac River as a commercial artery influenced . . . — Map (db m127767) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Potomac Yard History — 1908 Town of Potomac 1929
English settlers built several plantations on the site in the 18th century. The land, much owned by the Swann and Daingerfield families, became part of Alexandria County, D.C. with the creation of the District of Columbia in 1791, and retroceded to . . . — Map (db m115145) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Potomac Yard in Transition — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Potomac Yard —
Despite its function as a major rail classification yard for many years, Potomac Yard was not immune to the economic pressures and competition from other modes of transportation. Trucks and airplanes eventually reduced the need for goods and . . . — Map (db m115650) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Powder Magazine and Filling Room
Ammunition for the fort's guns was kept in underground storage facilities called magazines and filling rooms. Shells were armed and sometimes stored in the filling room, while the magazine was used to hold black powder and crated rounds. Implements . . . — Map (db m7711) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Prehistory to Colonial Settlement
Jones Point was once a wooded wilderness, ringed by marshes and periodically cut off from the mainland during high tide. American Indians made use of both woodland and wetland for food, tools and supplies. By the 17th century, Europeans had . . . — Map (db m62028) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — President Gerald R. Ford, Jr. Residence
President Gerald R. Ford, Jr. Residence has been designated a National Historic Landmark This residence possesses significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America From 1955-1974, this was the home . . . — Map (db m133934) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Profile of Fort
This exterior view of the restored Northwest Bastion illustrates the effectiveness of an earthwork fort. The fort walls were 18-22 feet high, 12-14 feet thick, and slanted at 45 degrees. To gain access to the fort an attacker would have to cross . . . — Map (db m7714) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Raise the White Flag — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
In the early 1800s Alexandria was part of the District of Columbia and an important port with its own militia. In summer 1814, though, Alexandria’s militia had been sent to defend Maryland from the British invasion. So on August 28, four days after . . . — Map (db m81226) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Remnants of Lock #4 of the Alexandria Canal
These stones are remnants of Lock #4 of the Alexandria Canal which once occupied this site. Completed in 1843, the canal linked the Alexandria waterfront with the C & O Canal in Georgetown. — Map (db m131390) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Residence of General William Brown, M.D. — Born 1748.      Died 1792.
Physician General and Director of Hospitals, Middle Department, Continental Army, Charter member, Society of the Cincinnati. Author of the first American Pharmacopoea. President of Board of Trustees of Alexandria Academy, at General Washington's . . . — Map (db m71757) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Retail in Alexandria — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
The 500 block of King Street has long been associated with retail trade in Alexandria. In the late 18th century, Adam Lynn, Sr. owned the quarter-block at this corner of King and St. Asaph Streets, where he operated a small bake shop selling . . . — Map (db m115746) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Rifle Trench
This rifle trench extended from the North Bastion toward Battery Garesche located beyond Leesburg Turnpike (Route 7). Another rifle trench extended from the tip of the South Bastion near the Fort Gate. The rifle trenches prevented enemy troops from . . . — Map (db m7715) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Robert Robinson Library -1940 — Alexandria Black Resource Center / History Museum - 1989
Panel 1: In the summer of 1939, Attorney Samuel W. Tucker organized six youths — William Evans, Otto Tucker, Edward Caddis, Morris Murray, Clarence Strange, and Robert Strange — for a “sit-in” at the segregated . . . — Map (db m69887) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E 140 — Roberts Memorial United Methodist Church
At the end of the 18th century, African Americans constituted half of the congregation at Alexandria's Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church. With support from Trinity, black members founded a separate congregation early in the 1830s, and their . . . — Map (db m127781) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Rosemont
Rosemont has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior as of August 24, 1992 — Map (db m133931) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Saint Joseph's Church — 1915-1990 — Alexandria, Virginia —
Under the guidance of the Most Reverend Denis J. O'Connell, Bishop of Richmond, Saint Joseph's Church was built by Father Joseph J. Kelly, of the Society of Saint Joseph (the Josephites) with the assistance of many benefactors, among them being the . . . — Map (db m129200) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Saint Mary's Catholic Parish
Founded 1795 by Very Rev. Francis Jonatus Neale, S.J. of Georgetown College and Colonel John Fitzgerald, Aide de Camp to General George Washington and one time Mayor of Alexandria Prior to 1785, the Catholic community of Alexandria . . . — Map (db m72355) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Saint Paul's Episcopal Church
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m39307) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Schools in the Town of Potomac — 1908 Town of Potomac 1929
In September 1900, Alexandria County opened the original Mount Vernon School on this property to educate children up to the 8th grade. In spite of continual expansion, crowding was always a problem. By 1932, it was necessary to rent the bank . . . — Map (db m115682) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-136 — Shiloh Baptist Church
Alexandria, occupied by Union troops during the Civil War, became a refuge for African Americans escaping slavery. Before the war ended, about 50 former slaves founded the Shiloh Society, later known as Shiloh Baptist Church. Members held . . . — Map (db m91684) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Shuter's Hill — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Shuter's Hill, a high bluff overlooking King Street, is probably named for the a local resident named Shuter who lived nearby in the 1740s. The site has been visited by people for more than 5,000 years. In fact, archaeologists have uncovered . . . — Map (db m115785) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Site of Alexandria's First Sugar Refinery — 1804-1828
The northern half of this block of Cameron Street, bounded by North Columbus Street on the east and North Alfred Street on the west, was the original site of the Moore-McLean Sugar Refinery. Within this half-acre lot was a five-story structure . . . — Map (db m67028) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Site of Assembly Hall — Alexandria City Hall
Here was held March 22 1785 the first conference between representatives Alexander Henderson and George Mason of Virginia and Major Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer, Mr. Chase and Mr. Stone of Maryland. This conference resulted in the framing of the . . . — Map (db m81249) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Site of First Services of the Salvation Army — Alexandria, Virginia — May 1885 —
On this site stood Captain Joseph Pugmire and three lassies who conducted the first Salvation Army services in Alexandria. Later, the Salvation Army was located at 319 and 316 King Street from 1922 to 1965, when it moved to its present facility at . . . — Map (db m143) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E-92 — Site of First Synagogue of Beth El Hebrew Congregation
On this site stood Beth El Hebrew Congregation’s synagogue, the first structure built as Jewish house of worship in the Washington metropolitan area. Founded in 1859, Beth El, the first reform Jewish congregation in the Washington area, is northern . . . — Map (db m8604) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Site of the First Lot Sold at Auction
Erected by the Bicentennial Commission to mark the site of the first lot sold at auction July 13th, 1749 — Map (db m131391) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Smoot Lumber Company Planing Mill
The Smoot Lumber Company Planing Mill was located in the southwest portion of this block. It was constructed in 1912 with W.A. Smoot & Co., Inc. and was designed by H.A. Riggs, a local Alexandria architect. This mill replaced an earlier mill located . . . — Map (db m129201) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Southwest Bastion
The Southwest Bastion was the most heavily fortified area of the fort with emplacements for seven guns, as well as a magazine and a filling room. The largest gun in Fort Ward, a 100-pounder Parrott Rifle, was located in the Southwest Bastion. This . . . — Map (db m7684) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — St. Asaph Racetrack — 1908 Town of Potomac 1929
The Alexandria Gentleman's Driving Club laid out a track just north of here that was operating by 1894, colloquially known as "the St. Asaph Track." In 1897, however, Virginia banned horse race betting, so the track was never as profitable as . . . — Map (db m115144) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary
Founded in 1792, the Stabler Leadbeater pharmacy operated on this site for 141 years serving many early patriots. The shop is a unique reminder of the period when manufacturing, wholesaling, and dispensing of medicines were combined as a single . . . — Map (db m875) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
The Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum traces one of America's oldest continuously-run family businesses that combined manufacturing, wholesaling and retailing. Founded in 1792, and operated just across Fairfax Street until 1933, the pharmacy was . . . — Map (db m115762) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Stabler-Leadbeater House — (1847 - 1933)
Built circa 1818 by Josiah Hewes Davis (1783-1862), rope maker and ship chandler who operated a rope walk at Jones Point. Purchased in 1847 by William Stabler (1795-1852) as a home for John Leadbeater (1808-1860), his brother-in-law and business . . . — Map (db m71772) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Submarine Screw (Propeller) — USS Pompon (SS 267)
Gato Class WWII Fleet Submarine

Conducted nine war patrols in the Pacific. Awarded four Battle Stars Commissioned March 17, 1943 De-commissioned April 1, 1960 — Map (db m115779) WM

Virginia, Alexandria — Swann-Daingerfield House
Built in 1802 by Thomas Swann Purchased in 1832 by Henry Daingerfield and enlarged. St. Mary's Academy 1889 - 1943 Restored in 1978 by Mr. and Mrs. Hugh E. Witt — Map (db m134974) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Alexanders & Agriculture — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Potomac Yard —
Potomac Yard was once part of a vast, wooded landscape overlooking the Potomac River. The original 6,000-acre tract (about 9 square miles) was passed down through generations of the John Alexander family and divided among surviving spouses and . . . — Map (db m115672) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Alexandria Almshouse — 1908 Town of Potomac 1929
The Alexandria Almshouse was a publicly-funded poorhouse and workhouse where the needy could find refuge and the courts often sentenced people for vagrancy or indebtedness. Residents worked hard for their sustenance. The Almshouse was built about . . . — Map (db m133930) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — 7 — The Alexandria Ford Plant — Ford's Landing Park —
One of the last and most architecturally important of the industrial facilities constructed on the waterfront was the Alexandria Branch of the Ford Motor Company. Designed by Albert Kahn (1896-1942) and built on wood pilings over the Potomac River . . . — Map (db m69852) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Alexandria Lyceum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
One block south is The Alexandria Lyceum, formed as a public education organization in 1834 by Quaker schoolmaster Benjamin Hallowell and other civic leaders. In 1839, the founders joined with the Alexandria Library Company to construct a . . . — Map (db m115718) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Alexandria Marine Railway
The Alexandria Marine Railway Company was founded in 1849 at the site of the former Keith's Wharf. Until the Depression of 1857, the firm refitted and repaired the sailing craft that plied the harbors of Alexandria, Georgetown and Washington. The . . . — Map (db m127769) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Athenaeum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Home to the Northern Virginia Fine Arts Association, the Athenaeum is a fine example of Greek Revival architecture, with a long and colorful history of occupation. The building was constructed between 1851 and 1852 as the Bank of the Old Dominion, . . . — Map (db m115768) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Bank of Potomac Building — Built 1804-07
Here Union Governor Francis Harrison Pierpont established the “Restored Government of Virginia” and used the building as the official Governor's Residence 1863-65 This Property is protected by a preservation easement held by . . . — Map (db m71611) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Bluemont Line
The Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad was formed in 1847 to carry the agricultural produce of the Shenandoah Valley and western Virginia coal to the port of Alexandria. Financial difficulties, however, meant that the line never got farther . . . — Map (db m73579) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Cameron Valley — Early Industrial Development in Western Alexandria
The area west of the Mill Race complex once was a sloping meadow through which ran the meandering tail race of the Cameron Mills. The mill site itself was located beneath what is now the parking garage of the Hoffman Center complex. Built in the . . . — Map (db m27230) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Carlyle House and the 18th-Century Site
The Carlyle House, completed in 1753, was the residence of one of the 18th-century Alexandria's leading citizens—John Carlyle—a prosperous merchant and landowner. 1. Although the earliest known engraving of the Carlyle House appeared . . . — Map (db m129174) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — 4 — The Civil War and Battery Rodgers — Ford's Landing City Park —
With the outbreak of war in the spring of 1861, Alexandria was immediately occupied by Federal troops as a bulwark in the defenses of the national capital, and the city became a central distribution center for men and material for the Army of the . . . — Map (db m70411) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Civil War Comes to Alexandria — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
In 1860, Alexandria was a vibrant southern city boasting a population of 12,652 and 96 firms which produced everything from bark to tin-ware. During the U.S. Presidential campaign in the fall of 1860, business-minded Alexandrians were decidedly . . . — Map (db m115781) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Columns of This Portico
The columns of this portico were used in the Inaugural stand on which President Franklin D. Roosevelt took his oath of office March 3, 1937 — Map (db m134454) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Confederate Statue
The unarmed Confederate soldier standing in the intersection of Washington and Prince Streets marks the location where units from Alexandria left to join the Confederate Army on May 24, 1861. The soldier is facing the battlefields to the South where . . . — Map (db m8605) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Duke Street Tanyard — Alexandria Heritage Trail
Peter Wise, a city councilman and tanner, established the Duke Street Tanyard in 1797. The Business was situated near the stone bridge on the east bank of Hooff's Run by West End Village. The tannery's ownership and name changed many times; Quakers . . . — Map (db m72479) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Earliest Inhabitants
After 10,000 B.C., as glacial ice retreated, small bands of Paleo-Indians moved into the vicinity of what would become Alexandria. Moving frequently within wide areas, these bands hunted game and collected the plant resources of the spruce/pine . . . — Map (db m127773) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Electric Railway — 1908 Town of Potomac 1929
The interurban streetcar caused a revolution in American life, permitting for the first time a suburban lifestyle. "Streetcar suburbs" became the 20th-century ideal of American middle-class family life with a home, yard and commute to work in the . . . — Map (db m115680) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Emerging Nation
From the late 1700s into the 1800s, the pastoral calm of the Point was interrupted repeatedly—by soldiers manning cannon emplacements, by surveyors laying out the boundaries of the nation's capital, by workers at a ropewalk and the lighthouse, . . . — Map (db m62029) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Fairfax House — 1749 ▿ 1771
This house was built and owned for twenty years by the Fairfaxes of Belvoir Col. William Fairfax 1691 ▿▿▿ 1757 Col. George William Fairfax 1724 ▿▿▿ 1787 Patrons Instructors and friends of Washington, . . . — Map (db m92329) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Federal District and Alexandria
On January 22, 1791, George Washington appointed Andrew Ellicott and Benjamin Banneker to survey the boundaries of the "District of Columbia," to be the home of the Federal government of the United States. The President instructed the surveyors to . . . — Map (db m127771) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The First People on Jones Point — In Pursuit of Fur, Fish and Fowl — Jones Point Park —
Archaeological evidence indicates that humans have occupied the Potomac River Valley for over 13,000 years and Jones Point for almost 9,000 years. Attracted by the rich resources of Hunting Creek marsh, indigenous people built temporary structures . . . — Map (db m127779) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Fitting-Out Dock — Shipshape and Cargo-Ready — 1918-1921 —
This dock, constructed of reinforced concrete on concrete and wood pilings, was once the last stop for cargo ships under construction at Jones Point's World War I shipyard. Here, ships received final fittings before heading out for service. The dock . . . — Map (db m62201) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Front Door of Gadsby's Tavern
This Doorway was returned to Gadsby's Tavern From the Metropolitan Museum by Charles Beatty Moore, Colonel. U.S.A. Retired (1881-1951) in 1949 by the Alexandria Assocation. 1949 marked the Bicentennial of Alexandria's Founding. — Map (db m71777) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Gadsby's Tavern Ice Well
Underground ice wells were used in the 18th and 19th centuries to store ice for use during the warm months. In Alexandria, blocks of ice were cut from the Potomac River. Ice was placed in this well through a square opening which is marked in the . . . — Map (db m129196) HM

249 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 49
Paid Advertisement