On 11 June 1864, about 800 yards east, the Botetourt Battery prevented the destruction of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad bridge across the Tye River. This bridge was an important part of the Confederate railroad network for the movement of . . . — — Map (db m10227) HM
1861 - 1865
To the memory of
The Sons of Amherst County
who from 1861 to 1865
upheld in arms the cause
of Virginia and the South,
who fell in battle
or died from wounds,
and survivors of the war
who as . . . — — Map (db m67324) WM
Bear Mountain is the spiritual center of the
Monacan community. The Bear Mountain Indian
Mission School, ca. 1868, was originally built for
church services and is listed on the National
Register of Historic Places. Virginia’s racial
segregation . . . — — Map (db m104369) HM
Near here lived Anthony and Benjamin Rucker,
inventors of the James River batteau, which
superseded the double dugout canoe and rolling
road for transporting tobacco hogsheads. These
long (about 50 or 60 feet), double-ended vessels
dominated . . . — — Map (db m46342) HM
Nearby stood Rucker’s Chapel, one of the first
Anglican (present-day Episcopal) churches in
Amherst County. Also known as Harris Creek
Church and later as St. Matthew’s, the church
was founded by Col. Ambrose Rucker before 1751.
It stood on . . . — — Map (db m46350) HM
Heavy rains early in 1854 left the James River and the treacherous Balcony Falls in full flood. On 21 January the towrope of the canal boat, Clinton, snapped. Washed over the Mountain Dam and through successive falls, its passengers became . . . — — Map (db m96744) HM
The Reverend Robert Rose
First Minister of St. Ann’s Parish in
Old Albermarle County 1747-1751
This tablet commemorates the establishment
by him of St. Mark’s Church at Maple Run 1748
To the present site, in . . . — — Map (db m122978) HM
Amherst County. Formed in 1781 from Albemarle, and named for Jeffrey, Lord Amherst, British commander in the French and Indian War. Balcony Falls are in this county.
Rockbridge County. Formed in 1778 from Augusta and Botetourt, and . . . — — Map (db m49888) HM
In 1938, the celebration of the 150th anniversary
of the United States Constitution, the Virginia
Daughters of the American Revolution sponsored
the planting of Constitution Forest in this area.
With the help of the Civilian Conservation . . . — — Map (db m49885) HM
Amherst County: Formed in 1781 from Albemarle, and named for Jeffrey, Lord Amherst, British commander in the French and Indian War. Balcony Falls are in this county.
Rockbridge County: Formed in 1778 from Augusta and Botetourt, and . . . — — Map (db m65461) HM
Heavy rains early in 1854 left the James River and the treacherous Balcony Falls, south of this site, in full flood. On 21 January the towrope of the canal boat, Clinton, snapped. Washed over the Mountain Dam and through successive falls, its . . . — — Map (db m66946) HM
Amherst County. Formed in 1761 from Albemarle, and named for Jeffrey, Lord Amherst, British commander in the French and Indian War. Balcony Falls are in this county.
Campbell County. Formed in 1781 from Bedford, and named for General . . . — — Map (db m46431) HM
Patented in 1742 by John Bolling, Jr., the 2,735-acre Buffalo Lick Plantation tract along the James
River includes three notable historic sites. One
mile southeast stand the ruins of Mount Athos, the
home of William J. Lewis, an officer in . . . — — Map (db m46354) HM
Established in 1910 as the Virginia State
Epileptic Colony, the center admitted its first
patients in May 1911. The facility originally
served persons with epilepsy and began
accepting individuals with mental retardation
in 1913. Due to the new . . . — — Map (db m46394) HM
During the Civil War, a line of trenches and
fortified artillery positions extending past
here were built late in 1863 to defend Lynchburg against attack from the north. Brig.
Gen. Francis T. Nicholls was responsible for
ensuring that the local . . . — — Map (db m46352) HM
This bridge was erected by Norfolk & Western Railway Co., Chesepeake & Ohio Railway Co., Southern Railway Co., City of Lynchburg, Va. Begun 1916. Completed 1918. Bridge Commissioners Ernest Williams, Chairman; William King, Jr.; John P. Pettyjohn. — — Map (db m46534) HM
A Lock Canal
When a river was too swift or shallow for navigation, shippers used canals with lift locks. The canals paralleled the river, using it as a water source.
(not to scale) river surface, canal and lock sites. . . . — — Map (db m137538) HM
This lift lock, built in 1848, is 15 feet wide, 21 feet deep top to bottom, and 100 feet between gates. It lowered or lifted boats 13 feet allowing them passage to and from the river. The bottom is covered with original pine planking and walls are . . . — — Map (db m137528) HM
Canal Water was obtained from a dam on the James River six miles upstream. Battery Creek (under the present railroad bridge) did not flow into the canal as is does today. Since it is now the only water source for the restored lock, the water level . . . — — Map (db m137536) HM
These handles open or closed sluice gates which admitted water to lock.
When water level was equalled on both sides of gates they were opened by pushing on lever arms.
Gates closed at an angle pointing upstream so water pressure sealed . . . — — Map (db m137539) HM
This liberal arts college for women, opened in 1906, granted its first Bachelor of Arts degrees in 1910. Established under the will of Indiana Fletcher Williams as a memorial to her only daughter, Daisy, the college is located on a 2800-acre tract . . . — — Map (db m86140) HM