"to Marines it's not about the individuals and never has been...what they did together and what they represent remains most important. That doesn't change."
—General Robert B. Neller
USMC Commandant, 2016
If you . . . — — Map (db m129459) HM WM
Fort Ethan Allen's star-shaped design enabled soldiers to defend all sides of the fort.
Constructed primarily from earth and wood, Fort Ethan Allen was a bastion-style fort. Bastions are angular structures that jut out from the enclosing . . . — — Map (db m129227) HM WM
Fort Ethan Allen had emplacements for 36 guns.
The forts that formed the Defenses of Washington were placed at half-mile intervals, supplemented with artillery batteries and rifle pits, making a nearly continuous connection between . . . — — Map (db m129236) HM
No enemy could have gotten as close to Fort Ethan Allen as you are now.
A half-mile perimeter of earthen walls and deep ditches enclosed the fort. Inside, as many as 1,000 soldiers manned the fort's 36 gun emplacements. Some pieces of . . . — — Map (db m132581) HM
This point has long been a vital gateway for commerce and travelers. In the early 1800s, the first Long Bridge connected Alexandria traders and Virginia farmers with Washington and Georgetown. Now, cars, trains, and the Metro carry people and goods . . . — — Map (db m134979) HM
You might be surprised to learn that there have been Marines for longer than there has been a country called the United States of America.
The Second Continental Congress, meeting in Philadelphia, first authorized the raising of the . . . — — Map (db m129452) HM
If you are here on a quiet day, you may see only empty space and a manicured lawn between here and the statue. Be assured there are many times every year when this parade ground is packed with color, motion, and beloved traditions.
You can see . . . — — Map (db m129463)
"The raising of the flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next 500 years."
—Secretary of the Navy James V. Forrestal
23 February 1945
America's Stars and Stripes remains a potent symbol of Marine . . . — — Map (db m129458) HM
Birthplace of Nellie Custis
the adopted daughter of
General George Washington
Original land grant 1669
Purchased by John Parke Custis
in 1778 from the Alexanders
for whom Alexandria Virginia
Destroyed by fire in 1930 . . . — — Map (db m15867) HM
The land that Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport occupies today was once part of Abingdon Plantation. Abingdon was the home of George Washington’s stepson, John Parke Custis, and birthplace of Washington’s beloved granddaughter, Nelly. . . . — — Map (db m8381) HM
The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority worked in concert with Federal, state and local historic preservation agencies and professionals in the field to develop the restoration plan for the Abingdon Plantation site. The restoration process . . . — — Map (db m8386) HM
The oldest part of this house may date from 1836 when John M. Young, a Washington wheelright and carriage maker, purchased the farm from Thomas Hodges, planted a large orchard and used the place as a summer home. In 1905, the farm was acquired by . . . — — Map (db m884) HM
On June 16,1608, Englishman Captain John Smith and fourteen other men from the Jamestown colony entered the Potomac River aboard a two-ton open barge in search of a glistering metal the [natives] told us they had from Patowmeck. They explored . . . — — Map (db m19978) HM
After the World War I (WWI) Armistice on November 11, a global commemorative culture paid tribute to all those affected by the war. County residents remembered lost service members through flag raisings, memorial trees, and other . . . — — Map (db m134452) HM
The sculptor of these monumental bronze figures, Felix de Weldon, had this to say late in his life:
"This memorial commemorates the brave deeds of the Marines and their bitter fighting in so many far away places. Where have any men done more . . . — — Map (db m129455) HM
In the first half of the 20th Century, Arlington County changed from a handful of separate neighborhoods to a cohesive community with its own identity and government. The establishment of a central post office was a major factor in this . . . — — Map (db m54884) HM
". . . a detail of men with axes was marched . . . to the place afterwards known as 'Fort Runyon' and proceeded to level the ground of a fine peach orchard of three hundred trees."
History of the Seventh . . . — — Map (db m134984) HM
The ARPANET, a project of the Advanced Research Projects Agency of the Department of Defense, developed the technology that became the foundation for the internet at this site from 1970 to 1975. Originally intended to support military needs, ARPANET . . . — — Map (db m47305) HM
This intersection has been a focal point since about 1740, when two roads were developed, one from the future site to Alexandria to the mouth of Pimmit Run, the other from Awbury’s Ferry (at the site of Rosslyn) to the Falls Church. The first came . . . — — Map (db m55969) HM
By 1900 a well-defined village called Central Ballston had developed in the area bounded by the present Wilson Boulevard, Taylor Street, Washington Boulevard, and Pollard Street. More diffuse settlement extended westward to Lubber Run and southward . . . — — Map (db m72026) HM
In 1880 Dr. John W. Barcroft rebuilt the Arlington Mill. The name of the railroad station here was subsequently changed from Arlington to Barcroft, and that became the name of the residential community which developed eastward along Columbia Pike. . . . — — Map (db m86142) HM
The Barcroft Community house was constructed in 1908 as a branch chapel of the Methodist church. It was sold in 1914 to the neighborhood civic association, the Barcroft School and Civic League. The building served as the Barcroft neighborhood public . . . — — Map (db m56472) HM
Here stood Battery Garesché, constructed late in 1861 to control the higher ground dominating Fort Reynolds, 200 yards to the southeast. It had a perimeter of 166 yards and emplacements for 8 guns. — — Map (db m5164) HM
As you walk around this statue, you can see a long list of battlefields where Marines have put their lives on the line for the sake of the United States. Some of these places you may know well. Others may reveal unknown chapters of American history . . . — — Map (db m129460) WM
Caleb Birch, a farmer and constable, built a log house here around 1800 on land granted to his grandfather, James Robertson, by Lord Fairfax in 1724. The original house burned and was rebuilt about 1836. A second log cabin was added ten years later. . . . — — Map (db m56520) HM
In June 1945 the scene nearby would have included the multiple tracks, gas-electric combine, electric substation, and passenger station shown below. As of 1912 Bluemont Junction served as the hub of the multi-line Washington & Old Dominion Railway. . . . — — Map (db m24924) HM
(Trail Side): Bluemont Junction began operation in 1912 as a part of the newly formed Washington & Old Dominion (W&OD) Railway. The station was a busy transfer point for passengers and freight from Alexandria and Georgetown to points west, . . . — — Map (db m24988) HM
This landmark was first described in 1724 by surveyor Charles Broadwater as "the rock stones called Brandymore Castle." Research in 1972 established that the natural formation matched the boundary descriptions on the 18th century land grands from . . . — — Map (db m8180) HM
The Buckingham garden apartment complex was built in stages between 1937 and 1983. It represents a pioneering effort to provide rental housing through the use of "garden city" planning principles, mass production techniques and private capital. The . . . — — Map (db m56481) HM
Since its construction in 1892 as a meeting hall, this building has been in continuous community service. In addition to its use for community meetings, the building also was used for an elementary school, church services, a nursery school, a . . . — — Map (db m55375) HM
In 1872 John F. Carlin developed here a popular resort which could be reached by train from Washington and Alexandria. His establishment included two springs, an ice cream parlor, a restaurant, a dance pavilion, and a swimming hole at the confluence . . . — — Map (db m56467) HM
This plaque commemerates the 100th anniversary of the Wright Brothers flights here at Fort Myer from September 3 to 17, 1908. These flights led to a return series of flights from June 29 to July 30 of 1909 culminating in the first ever cross country . . . — — Map (db m70828) HM
In 1797, the merchants of Georgetown built here the first bridge over the Potomac River in order to compete with the Virginia port of Alexandria. The Falls Bridge allowed trade from the "upper country" of Virginia to move directly to Georgetown over . . . — — Map (db m3339) HM
Dr. Charles R. Drew lived in this house from 1920 to 1939. His groundbreaking research led to the modern-day blood bank and proved that blood plasma could be used in place of whole blood transfusions. He served as director of the Red Cross Blood . . . — — Map (db m134967) HM
In 1893 a branch post office at Lee Highway and Pollard Street was named Cherrydale, with reference to Dorsey Donaldson’s large cherry orchard in back of the present firehouse. Quincy Street was then known as Cherry Valley Road. Settlement in this . . . — — Map (db m55731) HM
The first steam locomotive reached Cherrydale and Thrifton (now Maywood) in the spring of 1904. There were two rail lines in Alexandria (now Arlington) County that served the young community. There were many stations along . . . — — Map (db m125007) HM
This two-story brick building was built in 1936 as the Cherrydale Masonic Hall. Designed with retail space on the first floor, the building serves as the home of the Cherrydale Masonic Lodge #42. This lodge is the second oldest Masonic organization . . . — — Map (db m55810) HM
The Cherrydale Volunteer Fire Department was the first fire company in Arlington County. Formed in 1898 and officially established in 1904, it originally consisted of 10 leather buckets, a ladder, and spirited volunteers. A community fundraising . . . — — Map (db m55809) HM
Although dueling was illegal in Virginia, Secretary of State Henry Clay challenged U.S. Senator John Randolph of Roanoke. Clay called Randolph out to defend his honor after Randolph insulted him in a speech on the Senate floor. Randolph confided to . . . — — Map (db m2315) HM
Fort Ethan Allen was a repeating station, transmitting messages back and forth to other nearby stations.
A series of signal stations linked the forts of the Defenses of Washington. The soldiers who relayed secret messages from station to . . . — — Map (db m129238) HM
In August 1861, while U.S. forces were constructing the Arlington line three miles to the east, the Confederates established a fortified outpost on the high ground about 200 yards west of here, to guard the bridge by which the Georgetown - Falls . . . — — Map (db m68764) HM
George Grant Crossman built this late Victorian vernacular farmhouse in 1892 for his bride Nellie Dodge. Three generations of the Crossman family operated a 60-acre dairy farm on the site until 1949. The Crossman family played a significant role in . . . — — Map (db m43540) HM
Dr. Roland Herman Bruner, born on March 7, 1902 in Burkittsville, Maryland, served Arlington County for over 40 years. He should be remembered not only for his commitment to medicine and generosity to the community and his patients, but also for . . . — — Map (db m130993) HM
In 1945 a new segregated elementary school was built for Arlington’s African American population in the Green Valley, now Nauck, neighborhood. It was the only Arlington school to be built in the Art Moderne architectural style. Originally called the . . . — — Map (db m69192) HM
In the 1700s, Falls Church began along two Indian trails and included large farms anchored by an Anglican church. Several taverns and inns served as resting spots for travelers on their way to or from Leesburg, Virginia. By the 1840s, Falls Church . . . — — Map (db m55960) HM
In August 1940, when this photograph was taken, passenger service on the Washington & Old Dominion was losing money and was being phased out. Passenger service stopped altogether in April 1941, but resumed two years later to support the national war . . . — — Map (db m55964) HM
Campbell Avenue is named in honor of Edmund D. and Elizabeth P. Campbell, whose accomplishments and civic activism set a high standard for all to follow.
Edmund Douglas Campbell was born March 12, 1899, in Lexington, Virginia, the son of . . . — — Map (db m65032) HM
Campbell Avenue is named in honor of Edmund D. and Elizabeth P. Campbell, whose accomplishments and civic activism set a high standard for all to follow.
Margaret Elizabeth Pfohl was born December 4, 1902, in Clemmons, North Carolina. . . . — — Map (db m65033) HM
Designed in the Colonial revival style by Kenneth Franzheim and Alan B. Mills and constructed between 1942 and 1944, Fairlington is an early example of successful community planning and large-scale publicly financed rental housing built for defense . . . — — Map (db m66728) HM
Immediately to the northwest stood Fort Albany, a bastioned earthwork built in May 1861 to command the approach to the Long Bridge by way of the Columbia Turnpike. It had a perimeter of 429 yards and emplacements for 12 guns. Even after Forts . . . — — Map (db m5258) HM
Here stood Fort Barnard, a redoubt constructed late in 1861 to command the approaches to Alexandria by way of Four Mile Run and Glebe Road. It was named for General J. G. Barnard, Chief Engineer of the Defenses of Washington. It had a perimeter of . . . — — Map (db m5158) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Bennett Here stood Fort Bennett, a small outwork of Fort Corcoran, constructed in May 1861. With a perimeter of 146 yards and emplacements for 5 guns, it was designed to bring under fire the . . . — — Map (db m5104) HM
Immediately to the west stood Fort Berry, a redoubt constructed in 1863 at the north flank of the defenses of Alexandria, but also flanking the Columbia Turnpike and the Arlington Line constructed in 1861. It had a perimeter of 215 yards and . . . — — Map (db m5154) HM
Fort C.F. Smith was constructed in early 1863 as part of the expansion and strengthening of the capital’s defenses that continued throughout the Civil War. With Forts Strong, Morton and Woodbury, Fort C.F. Smith formed the outer perimeter of the . . . — — Map (db m5099) HM
Fort C.F. Smith was constructed in 1863 on farmland appropriated from William Jewell. The fort was named in honor of Gen. Charles Ferguson Smith, who was instrumental in the Union victory at Fort Donelson, Tennessee in 1862. The fortification was . . . — — Map (db m5101) HM
The ramps in front of you, now covered with grass, led to wooden platforms on which the various cannons were placed. When built in 1863, Fort C.F. Smith had platforms for twenty-two artillery pieces and four siege mortars. However, only sixteen . . . — — Map (db m5102) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort C.F. Smith Just to the north are the remains of Fort C.F. Smith. A lunette built early in 1863 to command the high ground north of Spout Run and protect the flank of the Arlington Line. It . . . — — Map (db m5103) HM
During the Civil War, the Union built a series of forts to defend Washington, D.C. By 1865 there were 33 earthen fortifications in the Arlington Line. Fort Cass (1861) was part of this defensive strategy. Built on top of the rise east of this . . . — — Map (db m5141) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Corcoran During the Civil War, the Union built a series of forts to defend Washington, D.C. By 1865 there were 33 earthen fortifications in the Arlington Line. Fort Corcoran (1861) was part . . . — — Map (db m5106) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Ethan Allen This embankment was the south face of Fort Ethan Allen, a bastioned earthwork built in September 1861 to command all the approaches to Chain Bridge south of Pimmit Run. The fort . . . — — Map (db m2317) HM
Fort Ethan Allen was constructed during the Civil War to provide one of the last lines of defense against possible Confederate attacks aimed at Washington. The fort commanded approaches to Chain Bridge (over the Potomac River) from the south of . . . — — Map (db m2318) HM
The earthen mounds that surround you are the remains of the fort's construction.
The model behind you re-creates Fort Ethan Allen as it was depicted in U.S. Army engineering drawings published after the Civil War. Use the drawing and model . . . — — Map (db m129237) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Haggerty Here beside the Georgetown-Alexandria road stood Fort Haggerty, a small outwork of Fort Corcoran, constructed in May 1861. With a perimeter of 128 yards and emplacements for 4 guns, . . . — — Map (db m5111) HM
Here stood Fort Reynolds, a redoubt constructed in September, 1861, to command the approach to Alexandria by way of the valley of Four Mile Run. It had a perimeter of 360 yards and emplacements for 12 guns. — — Map (db m5155) HM
Here is what is left of Fort Richardson, a detached redoubt constructed in September, 1861, to cover the left flank of the newly built Arlington defense line, It was named for General Israel B. Richardson, whose division was then deployed to defend . . . — — Map (db m39726) HM
A half-mile to the southwest stood Fort Runyon, a large bastioned earthwork constructed in May 1861 to protect the Long Bridge over the Potomac. Its perimeter, 1484 yards, was about the same as that of the Pentagon. After the construction of the . . . — — Map (db m5255) HM
Following the end of the Civil War, Fort Runyon was dismantled, the garrison sent home, and the land returned to its owner, James Roach. Squatters — among them freed blacks — occupied the vacant fort, scavenging its timbers for . . . — — Map (db m134989) HM
Fort Runyon once stood on this site. Built by Union troops at the start of the Civil War, the fort guarded access to the Virginia end of the Long Bridge, which led directly across the Potomac River to the heart of Washington, D.C. The fort . . . — — Map (db m134981) HM
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Scott Here stood a detached lunette constructed in May, 1861, to guard the south flank of the defenses of Washington and named for General Winfield Scott, then General-in-Chief of the Army. . . . — — Map (db m5257) HM
Nearby to the north stood Fort Strong, a lunette marking the north end of the Arlington Line constructed in August 1861. It had a perimeter of 318 yards and emplacements for 15 guns. — — Map (db m5112) HM
Here stood Fort Tillinghast, a lunette in the Arlington Line constructed in August 1861. It had a perimeter of 298 yards and emplacements for 13 guns. A model of this fort, typical of all lunettes in the Arlington Line, can be seen at the Hume . . . — — Map (db m5147) HM
On the high ground to the northeast stood Fort Whipple, a bastioned earthwork built early in 1863 to support the Arlington Line built in 1861. It had a perimeter of 640 yards and emplacements for 47 guns. After the War, Fort Whipple was maintained . . . — — Map (db m5140) HM
During the Civil War, the Union built a series of forts to defend Washington, D.C. By 1865 there were 33 earthen fortifications in the Arlington Line. Fort Woodbury (1861) was part of this defensive strategy. Built east of this marker, this lunette . . . — — Map (db m5138) HM
During the Civil War, many escaped and freed slaves traveled north seeking refuge in Union camps. Thousands crowded into the Federal City. The number of refugees quickly overwhelmed the area’s resources. Overcrowding and disease became prevalent. In . . . — — Map (db m5293) HM
After the outbreak of the Civil War, escaped slaves sought refuge at Union Camps and thousands crowded into the Federal City. In response to the unhealthy conditions in Washington, the government selected a site on Arlington Heights in May, 1863, to . . . — — Map (db m6409) HM
This small piece of land has a long history of light industrial use: brickyards, construction, a service station, and a scrapyard. When Arlington acquired the property, the County entered the site into the Voluntary Remediation Program, allowing . . . — — Map (db m134976) HM
Saegmuller, a native of Germany, came to America at 23 and achieved success as an inventor and manufacturer of scientific instruments. He lived here at Reserve Hill, the home of his parents-in-law, the Vandenbergs, and contributed in many ways to . . . — — Map (db m56519) HM
If you arrived here by train on a summer Sunday afternoon in the 1870s, you would find crowds of people enjoying Arlington's premier amusement park.
This wooded spot near the confluence of Lubber Run and Four Mile Run was a natural place for a . . . — — Map (db m67491) HM
Glenmore was built c.1906 as a summer and weekend retreat for the William F. Roberts family. It was designed by Washington, D.C. architect Appleton P. Clark. The original log construction and wood shingles have since been covered with stucco. The . . . — — Map (db m134966) HM
This acroterion originally decorated the pediment over the main entrance of the Abbey Mausoleum, which overlooked Arlington National Cemetery. Built in 1926 by the United States Mausoleum Company, the Romanesque-style building featured an impressive . . . — — Map (db m66941) HM
As a business and civil rights leader, Leonard "Doc" Muse established Arlington County's first African-American owned and operated pharmacy at 2415 Shirlington Road in 1952. He overcame the challenges of racism, segregation, and inequality to bring . . . — — Map (db m130989) HM
This wall is a reminder of racial segregation in the historically African American community of Hall's Hill. During construction of the Woodlawn Village subdivision in the 1930s, a wall of various materials and heights was built here to separate . . . — — Map (db m134451) HM
With the gift of a carillon Queen Juliana of the Netherlands presented something truly Dutch to the American people. The fifty pbells are inscribed with a verse from a poem and an emblem representing each of the Dutch provinces and different . . . — — Map (db m129464) HM
Harry W. Gray was born into slavery at Arlington House, where he learned to work with brick and stone. He built this two-story red brick townhouse in 1881 on an original ten acre homestead. The design was based on homes he had seen in Washington, . . . — — Map (db m69188) HM
Look at any chapter of our military history since the American Revolution, and there you can find the Marines—under arms, ready to go, and willing to sacrifice for the sake of our nation.
Scan the battle honors engraved in gold on the . . . — — Map (db m129453) WM
Marines have been fighting and dying in defense of freedom since the United States Marine Corps inception in November, 1775. The names of principal campaigns engraved on the memorial are a testament to the sacrifices Marines have made in their . . . — — Map (db m129448) HM
The Hume School was built in 1891. The Queen Anne style building was designed by B. Stanley Simmons, an area architect. The school was named for Frank Hume, a local civic and business leader, who donated adjacent land for a playground. It was an . . . — — Map (db m134453) HM
One of the routes at this historic intersection is Glebe Road, developed in the 18-th century to connect Alexandria with northern Arlington. Columbian Turnpike was built in 1808 between the Long Bridge to Washington and the Little River Turnpike at . . . — — Map (db m59705) HM
In 1742, John Ball received a 166-acre land grant from Lord Fairfax and became one of the first settlers in this area. The oldest portion of the present house is a one-story 18th century log cabin that was probably built by John Ball. In 1772, six . . . — — Map (db m55374) HM
This Prairie style house was built around 1926 for John Leonard Saegmuller. The prominent local family owned about 240 acres of land in this part of the county. John worked for his father George Nicholas designing optical instruments at his factory, . . . — — Map (db m57639) HM
7th Regiment New York Militia Infantry ★ May 1861 ★ Construction
2d New Jersey Infantry (three months) ★ May 1861
3d New Jersey Infantry (three months) ★ May 1861
21st New York Infantry ★ May - August 1861 . . . — — Map (db m134988) HM
In 1896, the Washington, Arlington & Falls Church Railway began running electric trolleys from Rosslyn to Falls Church on the present routes of Fairfax Drive and I-66. By 1907, the line linked downtown Washington to Ballston, Vienna, and the Town of . . . — — Map (db m64845) HM
Following World War II, the idea for a symbolic gift from "The People of the Netherlands to The People of the United States" met with generous response from all sections of the Netherlands. Queen Juliana presented a small silver bell to President . . . — — Map (db m129468) HM
Little Falls Road was originally a trail from the Indian villages at the head of Four Mile Run to the Potomac River fisheries just below the Little Falls. Later it was developed as a wagon road from the settlement at the Falls Church to Thomas Lee’s . . . — — Map (db m55811) HM
At the peak of the Civil War, as many as 1,000 soldiers were garrisoned at Fort Ethan Allen.
The men who built and defended the fort belonged to volunteer regiments recruited from New York, Massachusetts, and other northern states. While . . . — — Map (db m129240) HM
The Little Zion Congregation was organized in 1866 by residents of Freedman's Village. The congregation purchased this site in 1874. In 1867, T.H. Lomax was elected Bishop of the AME Zion Church and assigned to the Washington, D.C. area. The Little . . . — — Map (db m130988) HM
This stretch of riverside has hosted many diverse communities over time. Nameroughquena tribal homes, the large estates of the Lees and other prominent families, raucous Jackson City, and historic African-American neighborhoods have all existed in . . . — — Map (db m134978) HM
Macedonia Baptist Church was the first African-American church established by residents in the Nauck community. Founded in 1911, the church traces its origins to prayer meetings held in 1908 at the home of Bonder and Amanda Johnson at 22nd Street . . . — — Map (db m69190) HM
The United States Marine Corps War Memorial stands as a symbol of our nation's high regard for the honored dead of the Marine Corps. Although the statue depicts one of the most famous events of World War II, the memorial is dedicated to all Marines . . . — — Map (db m129450) HM
Margaret Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell was born to a Moravian family in North Carolina, where her upbringing and education led her to devote her life to seeking educational opportunities for others. She served as dean of Staunton's Mary Baldwin College . . . — — Map (db m55736) HM
This home incorporates the original log house built about 1800 by William Carlin. It is one of the earliest structures remaining in Arlington. At one time, Carlin had been a tailor in Alexandria whose clients included George Washington. Mr. Carlin’s . . . — — Map (db m56352) HM
The Clarendon Elementary School was built in 1910 to serve the growing Clarendon neighborhood. The two-story symmetrical building was designed with a central hall and four classrooms on each floor. The school was renamed in 1925 to honor Matthew . . . — — Map (db m49434) HM
Railroad and trolley lines stimulated the development of many Arlington neighborhoods in the early 20th century. In 1906 the Great Falls and Old Dominion Railway opened a line through this area. From 1909 to 1913 the Conservative Realty Corporation . . . — — Map (db m64883) HM
To the northwest is Minor's Hill, so called for George Minor who lived on the far side at the time of the Revolution. It is the highest elevation in the county. In the fall of 1861, it was the site of a Confederate outpost. Afterwards there was a . . . — — Map (db m24992) HM
Since World War II, the Marine Corps and the US Navy have performed countless humanitarian missions.
Perhaps General James Mattis said it best in 2003: "we will treat all others with decency, demonstrating chivalry and soldierly compassion . . . — — Map (db m129461)
The Netherlands Carillon was dedicated on May 5, 1960, on the 15th anniversary of the Netherlands' liberation from Nazi Germany. In gratitude for American aid received during and after World War II, the Dutch people rallied to support the memorial . . . — — Map (db m129469) HM
Moses Ball (1717-1792), the ancestor of generations of prominent Arlingtonians, received a 91-acre grant on this land from Lord Fairfax in 1748. The property remained in the Ball Family until 1818. It is thought that Ball built his home on a rise . . . — — Map (db m56091) HM
U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial
Learn more about the U.S. Marine Corps' long history of service. Sculpted from a famous photograph of the second flag-raising during the World War II battle for Iwo Jima, the monument honors all Marines who have . . . — — Map (db m130982) HM WM
Theodore Roosevelt Island
This wooded island is a tribute to the vision of our 26th president. Explore, on foot, 2.5 miles of trails and the memorial plaza.
Lady Bird Johnson Park
Take time to visit the Lyndon Baines Johnson . . . — — Map (db m134964) HM
This is Arlington’s oldest church site in continuous use. Land for a Methodist Protestant Meeting House was conveyed in 1855 by William and Ann Marcey and John B. and Cornetia Brown, for whom Brown’s Bend Road (now 16th Street, North) was named. The . . . — — Map (db m56225) HM
As soon as the smoking guns of the Civil War were finally silenced, a group of former slaves banded themselves together in what was then known as Freedmen’s Village, a government reservation in the area of Arlington National Cemetery, and founded a . . . — — Map (db m69189) HM
The Nauck community has a long and diverse history. The area that now comprises the Nauck neighborhood was originally granted to John Todd and Evan Thomas in 1719. The land was later acquired by Robert Alexander and sold to John Parke Custis in . . . — — Map (db m2504) HM
In war and in peace, in commerce and in travel, in rescue and discovery, in fisheries and in research, this nation has forged a bond with and a dependence on the sea. This monument of waves and gulls memorializes our national life at sea. It is . . . — — Map (db m5108) HM
A century ago, much of this site was a tidal marsh. Since then, people have carved out and filled in the landscape nearby to accommodate bridges, brickyards, highways, railroads, motels, airports, the Pentagon—and now Long Bridge Park. . . . — — Map (db m134980) HM
This is one of Arlington’s oldest family burial grounds. Ensign John Ball (1748- 1814), a veteran of the American Revolution (Sixth Virginia Infantry), is buried here. John Ball was the son of Moses Ball, who was one of the pioneer settlers in the . . . — — Map (db m56482) HM
In 1801, this stone represented Arlington's limits.
In 2001, this school represents Arlington's boundless horizon.
Arlington County Virginia Bicentennial
200 Years of Community — — Map (db m88156) HM
Freedman's Village, established by the federal government in 1863, was intended to provide temporary accommodation for newly freed slaves, but it survived as a community for over thirty years. When the government closed it, many residents relocated . . . — — Map (db m130991) HM
Orville Wright made his first heavier-than air
flight in Virginia at Fort Myer for the U.S.
Army on 3 Sept. 1908. He flew the plane
slightly more than a minute, reaching a
speed of 40 miles per hour. During the next
two weeks here, Wright broke . . . — — Map (db m108126) HM
Bob Peck opened his first Chevrolet dealership in 1939 on Wilson Boulevard in Clarendon. In 1964, he moved the dealership west to Ballston to the very prominent corner of North Glebe Road and Wilson Boulevard, 300 feet south of this marker. Taking . . . — — Map (db m64844) HM
We claim this ground in remembrance of the events of September 11, 2001.
To honor the 184 people whose lives were lost, their families, and all who sacrifice that we may live in freedom.
We will never forget. . . . — — Map (db m13109) HM
Pimmit Run is a stream that runs from the Pimmit Hills neighborhood in Falls Church and joins the Potomac River immediately south of Chain Bridge. The mouth of Pimmit Run provided Native Americans and settlers access to fresh water and fishing, the . . . — — Map (db m59708) HM
The mansion which formerly stood here was built in 1841 by James Roach, a prosperous contractor who supplied most of the brick and stone used in the construction of the Aqueduct Bridge and Alexandria Canal (under construction 1833-1843) and the . . . — — Map (db m55970) HM
Fort Ethan Allen depended on more than its thick exterior walls to protect it from enemy attack.
Guards stationed outside the fort in sentry boxes checked unfamiliar wagons for valid passes before allowing entry to the fort. Inside, guards . . . — — Map (db m129242) HM
The Unitarian Church of Arlington (UCA), founded in 1948, had its first permanent home sited here. The first section (on the right) opened in 1949 and the second section in 1952, both designed by UCA member Earl B. Bailey, A.I.A.
Active in the . . . — — Map (db m128220) HM
All of the surrounding land was once part of Reevesland, the last operating dairy farm in Arlington. Purchased in 1866 by William H. Torreyson, this 171-acre farm was run by the same family for 89 years. Torreyson's daughter Lucy, and her husband . . . — — Map (db m130994) HM
The statue of Ronald Wilson Reagan, 40th President of the United States from 1981-1989, is located northeast of this location at the driving entrance to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.
In 1987, President Reagan's Secretary of . . . — — Map (db m70983) HM
Rosslyn traditionally has served as a principal gateway to Arlington and to Virginia. Captain John Smith explored this area in 1608. Awbrey's Ferry carried travelers across the Potomac for more than a century in the 1700s and 1800s. The Aqueduct . . . — — Map (db m82493) HM
If you were a passenger on the Washington & Old Dominion Railway heading into Georgetown, you would first have to pass through Rosslyn, Virginia, a 15-minute train ride from here. The first Rosslyn Terminal dated from 1906, with the establishment . . . — — Map (db m24926) HM
Saegmuller Public School stood on this site from 1901 to 1939. It was one of the first schools in Arlington and was named in honor of George Saegmuller (1847-1934). He personally donated funds for the construction of the building. During most of the . . . — — Map (db m129244) HM
Arlington's first house of worship, the Chapel of Ease of Arlington Plantation, was near this location. George Washington Parke Custis built it about 1825 for his family, neighbors, and servants. Services were conducted by students from the . . . — — Map (db m30008) HM
"I tried to create
Something More than a Statue"
—Felix de Weldon, 1945
10 November 1954
Felix de Weldon (1907-2003)
Black granite from Sweden . . . — — Map (db m129444) HM WM
Five generations of the Southern, Shreve, and related families are interred in this burial plot. The Shreve family in Arlington dates from the arrival of Samuel Shreve from New Jersey about 1780. Shreve purchased a tract of land near Ballston in . . . — — Map (db m64878) HM
The U.S. Government erected 40 sandstone markers on the boundaries of the District of Columbia in 1791 and 1792. The boundary survey was initiated by President George Washington and executed by Andrew Ellicott, who became Surveyor General of the . . . — — Map (db m66927) HM
The U.S. Government erected 40 sandstone markers on the boundaries of the District of Columbia in 1791 and 1792. The boundary survey was initiated by President George Washington and executed by Andrew Ellicott, who became Surveyor General of the . . . — — Map (db m57120) HM
Founded in 1903, the congregation of St. John's Baptist Church proudly recalls African-American heritage in Arlington County. Some of the early members were emancipated slaves or relatives of emancipated slaves who either lived in slave quarters at . . . — — Map (db m134970) HM
On February 2, 1959, Stratford Jr. High became the first racially integrated school in Virginia. The long battle to integrate Virginia's public schools followed the U.S. Supreme Court's 1954 decision in Brown v. Board of Education, which held that . . . — — Map (db m55729) HM
Dedicated on May 5, 1960, the 15th anniversary of the liberation of the Netherlands, the Netherlands Carillon was presented "From The People Of The Netherlands To The People Of The United States" in gratitude for assistance given during and after . . . — — Map (db m129467) HM
The land that Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport occupies today was once part of a plantation. This hill and the ruins on it are all that remain of the house that stood here for nearly 190 years.
Abington, as this tract of land on the . . . — — Map (db m8377) HM
Abingdon Plantation was originally part of a 6,000 acre tract if land granted to Robert Howson in 1669. As master of a sailing ship, he was given the land in exchange for transporting settlers to the colony of Virginia. Howson sold it to John . . . — — Map (db m8378) HM
Here the Arlington Line constructed in August, 1861, crossed the Georgetown-Falls Church road. 100 yards to the northwest stood Fort Morton, a lunette with a perimeter of 250 yards and emplacements for 17 guns; 200 yards to the southeast stood Fort . . . — — Map (db m5161) HM
The land along Four Mile Run in this area belonged to George Washington and was known as Washington Forest. Later it became part of the Arlington estate. The Columbia Turnpike was built through here in 1808 to link the Long Bridge at Washington with . . . — — Map (db m56468) HM
Three radio towers similar to the Eiffel Tower in construction were erected here in 1913. One stood 600 feet and the other two 450 feet above the 200-foot elevation of the site. The word "radio" was first used, instead of "wireless," in the name of . . . — — Map (db m134969) HM
Here between 1766 and 1908 were buried members of the Ball and Carlin families. In 1742 John Ball was granted 166 acres in this area and in 1748 his brother Moses Ball was granted 91 adjoining acres, now the site of Doctor’s Hospital. They were . . . — — Map (db m55376) HM
Iwo Jima's location midway between Japan and American bomber bases in the Mariana Islands was key to both countries strategies. Since the summer of 1944, American long-range B-29 bombers had been flying 2,700 miles to strike the Japanese Home . . . — — Map (db m129446) HM
This sign marks the spot where Dr. Bay Jacobs and his wife Eva built their home, a beautiful stone castle. Dr. Jacobs was a prominent physician who served on the staff of both Georgetown and Arlington Hospitals. The location of this property, . . . — — Map (db m129250) HM
England's King Charles I granted the entire Potomac River to Maryland in 1632. Four centuries later Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia were still arguing over their mutual boundary. Alexander's Island was one controversial site. It . . . — — Map (db m98717) HM
John Parke Custis was the adopted stepson of George Washington and had been raised at the nearby Washington estate of Mount Vernon. He and his wife, Eleanor Calvert, lived in New Kent County with their first two daughters. However, Custis wanted to . . . — — Map (db m8380) HM
This house is probably the oldest structure in Arlington County, but its exact age is unknown. This land was first patented in 1696; a house at this site is shown on a survey of 1785. Thomas Dawson enlarged the present house by adding the east end . . . — — Map (db m56258) HM
This spring and the property on which it is located is rich with the recorded history of Arlington. Its first owner, Thomas Owsley, patented the land in 1696. by law, Owsley would have been required to build a house on the land within one year, or . . . — — Map (db m129247) HM
Fort Runyon was the largest in area of 164 Civil War forts and batteries built in Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia. The Defenses of Washington, as they were known, formed a 37-mile ring around the capital as protection from . . . — — Map (db m134983) HM
On the morning of February 23, 1945, the fifth day of battle, a 40-man Marine combat patrol ascended the rocky slopes of Mount Suribachi, a 550-foot extinct volcano at the southern tip of Iwo Jima. The patrol, led by First Lieutenant Harold G. . . . — — Map (db m129449) HM
The glebe was a 500-acre farm provided for the rector of Fairfax Parish, which included both Christ Church, Alexandria, and the Falls Church. The Glebe House, built in 1775, stood here. It burned in 1808 and was rebuilt in 1820, as a hunting lodge; . . . — — Map (db m57022) HM
The Bluemont Branch of the Washington & Old Dominion was not the railroad’s only line. The Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad arose in 1906 from the vision of two prominent men. Sen. Stephen B. Elkins of West Virginia had prospered through coal, . . . — — Map (db m24925) HM
After the Stuarts moved from Abingdon in 1793, the Alexander family once again owned the plantation. Robert Alexander III’s son, Walter, leased Abingdon to several families over the years. In 1807, he advertised the Abingdon estate for sale, ending . . . — — Map (db m8379) HM
During the late 1800s and early 1900s, the encroachment of industry transformed the landscape of Abingdon. Several brick companies purchased the land and began to manufacture brick on the site.
Various modes of transportation converged on . . . — — Map (db m8385) HM
Virginians voted overwhelmingly for secession form the Union on May 23, 1861. Overnight, Union Army troops stationed in Washington, D.C., moved to occupy what is now Arlington County. The main body of the troops crossed the Potomac River via the . . . — — Map (db m134982) HM
Imagine bombing a small, treeless island non-stop for 72 days. Then came the US Navy's biggest ever pre-landing shelling—three more days' hammering by the battleships and heavy cruisers. How could anyone be left alive on those nine square . . . — — Map (db m129456) HM
Thomas Lee patented land in this area in 1719. Here at the head of navigation of the Potomac River, he established an official tobacco inspection warehouse in 1742, the beginning of Arlington's first industrial complex. After 1794, Philip Richard . . . — — Map (db m3337) HM
Fort Ethan Allen Chain Bridge Gulf Branch Sanctuary for Wildlife and not so wildlife herineafter referred to as. . .
. . .Historical Site of Civil War Fort Ethan Allen which commanded all the approaches south of Pimmit Run . . . — — Map (db m129245) HM
The men who built Fort Runyon and were garrisoned there typified the soldiers of the Union Army. Their ranks were drawn from militia and all-volunteer regiments organized by the states and mustered into national service. They arrived in camp in . . . — — Map (db m134986) HM
Company M, 2nd New York Heavy Artillery, August 1865
The war ended in April 1865, but troops continued to occupy the fort temporarily. With their guns cleaned and polished, Company M would be mustered out in Washington, D.C., on September 29. . . . — — Map (db m129232) HM
The 100-ft wide W&OD has been called "the skinniest park" in Virginia. But it is also one of the longest parks, 45 miles of paved trail for walking, running cycling and skating and more. Built on the roadbed of the . . . — — Map (db m131543) HM
March 20, 1847 - Incorporated as the Alexandria &
Harper’s Ferry Railroad.
March 15, 1853 - The corporate name changes to the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad Company.
February 25, 1855 - Construction . . . — — Map (db m2500) HM
The railroad that became the Washington & Old Dominion was born in Alexandria in response to the competition in shipping posed by the port in Baltimore, which was served by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. The B&O was diverting farm produce from the . . . — — Map (db m24920) HM
Near this point the Alexandria Canal crossed Four Mile Run, connecting Alexandria docks and railyards to Georgetown and western Maryland from 1843 to 1886. To the east were the turnpike and railroad. In 1896 the Washington, Alexandria and Mount . . . — — Map (db m22469) HM
John N. and Elizabeth Causins Travers established a 30-acre farm here in 1832, when Arlington was rural and had less than 1,500 inhabitants. Over the years the land was subdivided. Descendants and kin lived here, contributing to the life of . . . — — Map (db m49800) HM
Unitarian Universalist Church
of Arlington, Virginia
Entered in 2014 on the
National Register of Historic Places
United States Department of Interior
Register of Historic Places
Commonwealth of Virginia . . . — — Map (db m128219) HM
Dedicated to the Marine dead of all wars, and their comrades of other services who fell fighting beside them.
Created by Felix de Weldon, and inspired by the immortal photograph taken by Joseph J. Rosenthal on February 23, 1945, atop Mt. . . . — — Map (db m4914) HM
Walker Chapel, a small frame country church of the Mount Olivet Circuit, was dedicated at this location on July 18, 1876. It was named in honor of the Walker family who donated the Walker Grave Yard as the site for the church. A new frame church was . . . — — Map (db m2316) HM
W & OD Trail.
The 100-foot-wide Washington and Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park (W&OD Trail) features a 45-mile asphalt trail for walking, running, skating, bicycling and other activities and a 33-mile parallel, gravel bridle path for . . . — — Map (db m2406) HM
Although it is no longer legible, this monument marks the northernmost point of an approximately 1200-acre tract of land that George Washington purchased in 1775 prior to the American Revolution. Washington used an oak tree that stood on this site . . . — — Map (db m56480) HM
Mark Felt, second in command at the FBI, met Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward here in this
parking garage to discuss the Watergate scandal. Felt provided Woodward information that exposed the Nixon Administration’s obstruction of the FBI's . . . — — Map (db m55498) HM
This park is named for Dr. Williamson Crothers Welburn, 1874-1964, an Arlington physician whose practice began in 1905. Welburn built his office on this site with a pharmacy/post office downstairs and living space above. The front sidewalk was the . . . — — Map (db m56475) HM
Much survives of Fort Ethan Allen, a critical part of the Defenses of Washington, D.C., during the Civil War.
Fort Ethan Allen defended the southern approaches to Chain Bridge, one of the three Potomac River crossings that Confederate . . . — — Map (db m129223) HM
The surrounding neighborhood of Nauck, also known as Green Valley, is one of the oldest African American communities in Arlington County. Its history traces to 1844, when freedman Levi Jones purchased land to build a home and farm here. . . . — — Map (db m131544) HM
Ernest E. Johnson: His work let Arlington play.
In 1949, Arlington County formally established a Department of Recreation. Mirroring the public school system, all classes, clubs and activities sponsored by the Department were . . . — — Map (db m131545) HM
On September 9, 1908, near this site,
Orville Wright carried aloft in
public his first passenger, Lt. Frank
P. Lahm, for a flight lasting 6
minutes and 24 seconds. Three days
later, he took Major George O. Squier
on a flight of 9 minutes and . . . — — Map (db m108151) HM
This park is named for Henry Wright, born in 1878 in Lawrence, Kansas, and raised in a Quaker family. Wright's exposure to functional Quaker architecture and his father's position as a local city planner impacted his designs. He studied architecture . . . — — Map (db m69554) HM
For more than half a century from the mid-1800’s the intersection of Lee Highway and Glebe Road was known as Wunders Crossroads after the family whose farm lay just northeast. Dr. Henry S. Wunder and his son George O. Wunder were leading citizens of . . . — — Map (db m56255) HM
This island haven honors Theodore Roosevelt, 26th president of the United States. Woodlands, waters, and wildlife habitat like this – near the City – inspired Roosevelt’s conservation ethic.
After becoming the president in 1901, the . . . — — Map (db m128117) HM
Battle of the Philippine Sea
Babble of the Bulge
Invasion of Northern Africa
Crossing the . . . — — Map (db m137191) HM
Dedicated to the men of the 65th Infantry Regiment, United States Army, for their valor and patriotism during the Korean War, 1950 - 1953.
Official seals of the Department of the Army and the 65th Infantry Regiment
Dedicado a los . . . — — Map (db m77574) WM
APO 144, N.Y. - WW II - Europe England - France - Belgium They moved the mail They enhanced the morale 1st. Lt. Wm. K. Armstrong, ACC · S/Sgt. John D. Caidano · Sgt. Fred A. Murphy · T/4 Willis W. Cresswell · T/4 Ira Osteen · T/5 Richard W. Betts . . . — — Map (db m98626) WM
In commemoration of all Sky Soldiers whose valor and sacrifice in defense of South Vietnam must never be forgotten. "All gave some - Some gave all" Renderings of military insignia: Combat Infantryman Badge 173rd Airborne Brigade Paratrooper . . . — — Map (db m24554) HM
In memory of the 1480 airborne troopers
who paid the Supreme Sacrifice while
serving in Europe during World War II
Dedicated for the 50th Anniversary of Division Activation
April 15, 1943
Battle of the Bulge . . . — — Map (db m137237) HM
In honor of the Redcatchers for their sacrifice and selfless dedication to duty in the Republic of Vietnam, 1966-1970. They shall remain a steadfast example in the hearts of their fellow soldiers and countrymen. Insignia of the 199th . . . — — Map (db m98642) WM