Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bath County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Bacova Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, October 15, 2013
Bacova Marker
Virginia (Bath County), Bacova — D-37 — Bacova
The Tidewater Hardwood Company built a lumber mill and company town here, 192–1922, naming it Bacova, a contraction for Bath Co., Va. Narrow-gauge railroads brought the logs to the mill. The company paid workers in scrip redeemable for rent, . . . — Map (db m70219) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Bacova — Q-5 — Fort Dinwiddie
Known also as Byrd’s Fort and Warwick’s Fort. Probably built in 1755, it was visited that year by George Washington. — Map (db m30366) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Falling Spring — Falling Spring Falls
Welcome to Falling Spring Falls in the Heart of the Alleghany Highlands. According to the book, “Historical Sketches of the Alleghany Highlands” by Gay Arritt, 82 acres of land including, the Falling Spring Falls was granted by . . . — Map (db m77494) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Hot Springs — Q-33 — Garth Newel
Artist William Sergeant Kendall (1869–1938) and his wife Christine Herter Kendall (1890–1981) built this house soon after they arrived in Virginia in 1922. Garth Newel, Welsh for “New Home,” served as their residence and . . . — Map (db m69747) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Hot Springs — Q-34 — Letitia Pate Whitehead Evans(1870–1953)
Born In Thaxton, Bedford County, Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans played a major role In the early distribution of bottled Coca-Cola. She was one of the first women members of the board of directors of a major American corporation, serving on the . . . — Map (db m69922) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Hot Springs — Virginia Hot Springs Company World War Memorial
Erected 1920 by the Virginia Hot Springs Company commemorating the planting of trees along this boulevard. A memorial of patriotism and a tribute of honor to the employees of this Company and the men of Bath County who in 1917 and 1918 served in . . . — Map (db m69930) WM
Virginia (Bath County), Millboro — D-24 — Fort Lewis
Col. Charles Lewis, younger brother of Gen. Andrew Lewis, acquired 950 acres of land on the Cowpasture River in June 1750. Nearby, Fort Lewis, a small stockade, initially under the command of then Capt. Charles Lewis, was constructed by 1756 to . . . — Map (db m30469) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Millboro — Q-14 — Millboro
Millboro began as a settlement around Cady’s Tunnel, built by the Central Virginia Railroad. By 1856 the tracks extended from Richmond to Cabin Creek nearby. During the Civil War, Confederate soldiers marched westward down the old Crooked Spur . . . — Map (db m69537) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Millboro — Q-36 — T. C. Walker School
T.C. Walker School, which opened in 1930, was named for Thomas Calhoun Walker a former slave from Gloucester County who became the first African American attorney in Virginia. It cost $4,600, and was underwritten with $500 from the Julius Rosenwald . . . — Map (db m69471) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Millboro Springs — Z-135 — Bath County / Rockbridge County
(East Facing Side):Bath County Area 545 Square MilesFormed in 1790 from Augusta, Greenbrier, and Botetourt, and probably named for the town of Bath in England. The warm springs and hot springs are in this county. (West Facing . . . — Map (db m34304) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Millboro Springs — D-43 — Camp Mont Shenandoah
Nannie Crump West, Christian missionary and youth advocate, founded Camp Mont Shenandoah in 1927 for girls from Virginia’s elite families. This residential summer camp, like others established along the Cowpasture River early in the 20th . . . — Map (db m107846) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Millboro Springs — KB-75 — Fort Dickinson
The site was about one-half mile north of the river. This was one of a chain of frontier forts ordered erected by the Virginia legislature early in 1756. The chain extended from Hampshire County (now West Virginia) to Patrick County on the North . . . — Map (db m77510) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Millboro Springs — Q-13 — Windy Cove Presbyterian Church
Scotch-Irish Presbyterians, seeking freedom of worship and led by the Rev. Alexander Craighead, built a log meetinghouse a mile and a half down the Cowpasture River about 1749. Indians burned it during the French and Indian War. Moving to this site . . . — Map (db m1837) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Mountain Grove — Q-15 — Mountain Grove
The Mountain Grove community grew up around William Gatewood’s plantation in the early 19th century. During the Civil War. Brig. Gen. William W. Averell’s Federal cavalry attacked from newly created West Virginia late in 1863 and fought with . . . — Map (db m70233) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Thomastown — Q-37 — Union Hurst School
Union Hurst, a school for African Americans, was built near here on Pine Hurst Heights Road between 1924 and 1925. The school was built with the assistance of the Julius Rosenwald Fund, a program that helped build some 5,000 schools for African . . . — Map (db m70245) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Warm Springs — D-36 — Early Bath County Courthouses
Bath County was formed in 1790 from parts of Augusta, Botetourt, and Greenbrier counties. The county court first met here on 10 May 1791 at the house of John Lewis's widow Margaret, who donated two acres opposite the mineral baths for public use. . . . — Map (db m21754) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Warm Springs — Life at the Tollhouse
As early as 1880, the Hodge family was responsible for the management of the Warm Springs Mountain tollhouse. By the end of the tool road's operation in the 1910s, there were ten children living at the house "up on the mountain". Much of the data . . . — Map (db m34299) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Warm Springs — Q-35 — Mary Johnston(1870 – 1936)
Mary Johnston, a novelist, historian, playwright, suffragist, and social advocate, lived here at Three Hills. Born in Botetourt County, Johnston published 23 novels between l898 and l936 and became the first woman to top best-seller lists in . . . — Map (db m69596) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Warm Springs — Settlement on Warm Springs Mountain
You are standing on the site of a tollhouse which served the Warm Springs Mountain Turnpike during the nineteenth century. This mountain gap was occupied by humans long before its use as a turnpike tollhouse. Archaeological research at the site . . . — Map (db m34272) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Warm Springs — Q-6 — Terrill Hill
Nearby is the site of Terrill Hill, home of the Terrill brothers of Bath County. Brig. Gen. William R. Terrill, a graduate of West Point commanded a Union brigade and was killed in the Battle of Perryville, Kentucky, on 8 Oct. 1862. His brother, . . . — Map (db m21755) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Warm Springs — D-35 — The County Seat of Bath
After 112 years in buildings near the Warm Springs mineral baths a mile northeast, the Bath County Court moved to this site in 1908. The architect, Frank P. Milburn, predicted the new courthouse would be “an honor and ornament to Bath . . . — Map (db m30491) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Warm Springs — D-38 — The Rev. Dr. William H. Sheppard(28 May 1865 – 25 Nov. 1927)
Born in Waynesboro to former slaves, William H. Sheppard became a Presbyterian missionary to the Belgian colony of Congo Free State in 1890. He and others opposed King Leopold II of Belgium, who encouraged such atrocities as the amputation of . . . — Map (db m5607) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Warm Springs — The Turnpike Movement in Virginia, 1825-1835
The end of the eighteenth century saw Virginia change from an agriculture-based society to one of urban centers. Once British trade restrictions were removed after the War of 1812, river ports such as Alexandria, Fredericksburg, and Richmond began . . . — Map (db m34264) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Warm Springs — The Virginia Springs Resorts
Although turnpikes were built primarily to facilitate trade, many routes within western Virginia were improved to support recreation. Warm Springs Mountain Turnpike provided access to the Warm Springs and Hot Springs area, home of natural mineral . . . — Map (db m34289) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement