Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Charlotte County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Old Briery Church and Joseph Morton Markers image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, March 5, 2011
Old Briery Church and Joseph Morton Markers
Virginia (Charlotte County), Briery — F-75 — Old Briery Church
Just to the north stands Briery Church, organized in 1755 following the missionary work of Presbyterian minister Samuel Davies. The first church was built about 1760 and was replaced in 1824. The present Gothic Revival church was built about 1855 to . . . — Map (db m40794) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Brookneal — 10 — Red Hill — Patrick Henry National Memorial
One mile to the south is Red Hill, Patrick Henry’s last home and burial place. The marble stone covering his grave carries the simple inscription, “His fame his best epitaph.” Henry came here in 1794 and died at his beloved Red Hill . . . — Map (db m65398) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Charlotte Court House — FR-12 — Campaign of 1781
At Cole's Ferry on Staunton River, twelve miles southwest, Steuben halted his southward march, June 10, 1781. — Map (db m31020) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Charlotte Court House — Charlotte County Confederate Monument
1861-1865 Gloria Victis Confederate soldiers Charlotte County cherishes the memory of her heroes Noble deeds are a people’s inspiration Erected under the auspices of H.A. Carrington Camp C.V. No. 34. August 27, 1901. . . . — Map (db m31017) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Charlotte Court House — 30 — Charlotte County Library
Beginning in 1937, Ambassador and Mrs. David K. E. Bruce anonymously gave money to 11 sites in Southside Virginia to build libraries. The Bruce libraries, as they were called, became the first public libraries to allow access to African . . . — Map (db m31019) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Charlotte Court House — Charlotte Court HouseForaging Parties: “People complimented us” — Wilson-Kautz Raid
In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling . . . — Map (db m31011) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Charlotte Court House — FR-9 — Charlotte Court House Historic District
The historic district, a rare example of a 19th-century rural courthouse town, is concentrated on two main streets. Begun as Dalstonburg in 1775 during the French and Indian War, and later called Marysville and Smithville, the town was named . . . — Map (db m31022) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Charlotte Court House — FR-14 — Cub Creek Church
Six miles south is Cub Creek Presbyterian Church, the oldest church in this section. The neighborhood was known as the Caldwell Settlement for John Caldwell, grandfather of John C. Calhoun of South Carolina. About 1738 he brought here a colony of . . . — Map (db m66062) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Charlotte Court House — FR-6 — Edgehill
Three miles north is Edgehill, home of Clement Carrington. He ran away from Hampden-Sydney College to join the Revolutionary army, served in Lee's Legion, 1780-81, and was wounded at Eutaw Springs, September 8, 1781. — Map (db m31023) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Charlotte Court House — FR-7 — Greenfield
Half a mile north is Greenfield, built in 1771 by Isaac Read. Read was a member of the House of Burgesses, 1769-1771, and of the Virginia conventions of 1774 and 1775. He served as an officer in the Revolutionary War, dying of wounds in 1777. — Map (db m31024) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Charlotte Court House — FR-10 — Henry and Randolph's Debate
Here, in March, 1799, took place the noted debate between Patrick Henry and John Randolph of Roanoke on the question of States' Rights. Henry denied the right of a state to oppose oppressive Federal laws. Randolph affirmed that right. This was . . . — Map (db m31018) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Chase City — Z-43 — Charlotte County / Mecklenburg County
(Obverse) Charlotte County Area 496 square miles Formed in 1764 from Lunenburg, and named for Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III. Patrick Henry and John Randolph of Roanoke lived in this county, and Henry is buried here. . . . — Map (db m31001) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Drakes Branch — Drakes Branch"Burnt all the depot buildings" — Wilson-Kautz Raid
In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling . . . — Map (db m31006) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Keysville — F-78 — Campaign of 1781
Tarleton, British cavalryman, returning from his raid to Bedford, passed near here, July, 1781. — Map (db m66025) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Keysville — Z-52 — Charlotte County / Prince Edward County
(obverse) Charlotte County Area 496 Square Miles Formed in 1764 from Lunenburg, and named for Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III. Patrick Henry and John Randolph of Roanoke lived in this county, and Henry is buried here. . . . — Map (db m66002) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Keysville — F-77 — Early Exploration
Batts, Fallam and Thomas Wood, sent by Abraham Wood to explore Western Virginia, passed near here, September, 1671. — Map (db m66024) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Keysville — FR-8 — Joseph Morton
Seven miles west stood Roanoke Bridge, the colonial homestead of Joseph Morton, who patented land near by in the 1740s. He was an elder of Briery Presbyterian Church on its founding in Prince Edward County in 1755, and later a trustee. He served as . . . — Map (db m40854) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Keysville — KeysvilleForaging and Destruction — Wilson-Kautz Raid
In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling . . . — Map (db m66003) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Keysville — 29 — Southside Virginia Community CollegeKeysville, Virginia — Charlotte County
Southside Virginia Community College has two campuses: the Christanna Campus in Alberta, which opened in 1970, and the John H. Daniel campus in Keysville, which opened in 1971. The college is part of the statewide system of community colleges . . . — Map (db m31025) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Phenix — FR-15 — Rough Creek Church
A chapel was built here in 1765-1769 by order of the vestry of Cornwall Parrish. Following the disestablishment and a brief period of irregular use, the property passed to the Republican Methodists, a denomination then active in the South. It was . . . — Map (db m66061) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Randolph — Roanoke StationThe Battle of Staunton River Bridge — Wilson-Kautz Raid
In late June 1864, Confederate General Robert E. Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia were engaged in a desperate defense of the city of Petersburg. Victory for Lee depended on a steady flow of supplies from the west, brought in by rail. To force . . . — Map (db m107583) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Randolph — Wilson’s orders were to destroy the Richmond and Danville Railroad to the greatest extent possible — The Union Trail
Brigadier General James H. Wilson and his Third Division, as well as Brigadier General August V. Kautz’s small cavalry division of the Army of the James, had participated in Grant’s railroad-breaking expeditions from the beginning. The received word . . . — Map (db m107591) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Randolph — Wilson-Kautz Raid“Destroy both those roads”
In late June 1864, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia were engaged in a desperate defense of the city of Petersburg. Victory for Lee depended on a steady flow of supplies, brought in by rail. To force Lee from . . . — Map (db m107472) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Red House — FR-3 — Red House
This old tavern was built by Martin Hancock about 1813 on the site of his earlier cabin. It was a noted stopping place and trade center on the old south road to the West. — Map (db m66060) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Red Oak — Z-44 — Charlotte County / Mecklenburg County
(Obverse) Charlotte County Area 496 Square Miles Formed in 1764 from Lunenburg, and named for Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III. Patrick Henry and John Randolph of Roanoke lived in this county, and Henry is buried here. . . . — Map (db m31876) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Red Oak — 31 — Salem SchoolRed Oak, Virginia — Charlotte County
After the Civil War, in the Red Oak area of Charlotte County, many freed slaves were welcomed to worship at Antioch Baptist Church, a traditionally white church. The Antioch congregation helped raise money to build Salem Baptist Church in 1865, . . . — Map (db m30999) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Saxe — Carrington's Mill"The D_ _ _ Rebels" — Wilson-Kautz Raid
In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling . . . — Map (db m31004) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Wylliesburg — M-9 — Paul Carrington
Member of House of Burgesses, 1765-1775, of Virginia conventions, 1774-1788, including Constitutional Conventions, of first Supreme Court of Appeals of Virginia. A founder of Hampden-Sydney College. Lived and is buried at Mulberry Hill nearby. — Map (db m31864) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Wylliesburg — F-80 — Roanoke Plantation
Nine miles west is Roanoke, home of John Randolph, a member of the House of Representatives for many years, and Senator. Randolph at first was Jefferson's lieutenant and later on an opponent and critic, but he never lost the love of his . . . — Map (db m31860) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Wylliesburg — F-82 — Staunton Bridge Action
The railroad bridge over Staunton River, nine miles west, was held by a body of Confederate reserves and citizens from Halifax, Charlotte and Mecklenburg counties against Union cavalry raiding to destroy railroads, June 25, 1864. When the Unionists . . . — Map (db m31862) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Wylliesburg — FR-28 — War of 1812 Opposition — John Randolph
The War of 1812 sparked intense opposition. In Congress, the Federalist Party unanimously opposed the declaration of war passed in June 1812. Among the war’s most outspoken critics was Virginia Republican Congressman John Randolph of nearby . . . — Map (db m107493) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Wylliesburg — WylliesburghFirst Rest — Wilson-Kautz Raid
In June 1864, to deny General Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side Railroad and the Richmond and Danville Railroad, General Ulysses S. Grant sent General James H. Wilson and General August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy . . . — Map (db m40791) HM

32 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement