Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Danville Virginia Historical Markers

 
750 Main Street Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, June 15, 2013
750 Main Street Marker
Virginia, Danville — Q 7e — 750 Main StreetDanville
On Main Street (Virginia Route 293) north of Jefferson Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
On this site stood the residence of James E. Schoolfield. In the parlor of his house were held the meetings to organize both Dan River, Inc. on July 20, 1882 and the Young Women's Christian Association of Danville on December 19, 1904. — Map (db m66042) HM
Virginia, Danville — D 1 — Andrew Jackson Montague
On West Main Street (Virginia Route 293) at Mount Vernon Avenue, on the right when traveling east on West Main Street.
This house was built in 1891 as the home of Andrew Jackson “Jack” Montague, 1862-1937, Governor of Virginia, 1902-1906. During his residence in Danville, Mr. Montague established himself as a lawyer, U.S. District Attorney, orator, and . . . — Map (db m14474) HM
Virginia, Danville — Archer T. Gammon(1918 – 1945)
On River Park Drive at Riverpoint Drive, on the right when traveling north on River Park Drive.
This bridge is dedicated in memory of Archer T. Gammon who distinguished himself on January 11, 1945, in the infamous Battle of the Bulge. While pinned down by enemy gunfire, he advanced and caused enemy resistance to weaken, allowing his platoon to . . . — Map (db m66254) HM WM
Virginia, Danville — Q 5m — Bloody Monday
On Patton Street east of South Union Street, on the right when traveling east.
In the spring of 1963 local African American ministers and other leaders organized the Danville Movement to combat widespread racial segregation and discrimination. On 10 June, two demonstrations occurred. Police clubbed and fire-hosed the marchers, . . . — Map (db m66038) HM
Virginia, Danville — q 5h — Confederate Prison No. 6
On Loyal Street at Lynn Street, on the right when traveling north on Loyal Street.
Constructed in 1855 as a tobacco factory by Major William T. Sutherlin, this renovated structure housed Union prisoners during the Civil War, 1861-1865. It was one of six Danville Confederate prisons in which as many as 7000 Union soldiers were . . . — Map (db m66006) HM
Virginia, Danville — Danville CemeteriesNational Cemetery
On Lee Street west of Berryman Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
The remains of 1,323 Federal soldiers, 148 of them unknown, who died in Danville’s Civil War prisons are interred here. Many died from smallpox which ravaged the six prisons during the winter of 1863-1864. The names of the dead were recorded by . . . — Map (db m66010) HM
Virginia, Danville — Danville Confederate Soldier's Monument
Near Lee Street east of Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling east.
Danville, Virginia 1878 Gen. Robert E. Lee Confederate dead memorial tribute of Virginia's daughters to the fallen brave. Gen. Thomas J. Jackson They died as men who nobly contend for the cause of truth and right. "They softly and . . . — Map (db m66066) WM
Virginia, Danville — Danville FortificationsCivil War Earthworks Constructed for Danville's Protection
On South Boston Road (Business U.S. 58) at Old Halifax Road, on the left when traveling west on South Boston Road.
Danville residents, feeling vulnerable to enemy attack because of the vast amount of commissary and quartermaster supplies stored in their town and the presence of the Confederate arsenal, petitioned the town council in February 1863 to build . . . — Map (db m66004) HM
Virginia, Danville — Q 5-d — Danville System
On South Union Street at Patton Street, on the left when traveling south on South Union Street.
On this site stood Neal's Warehouse where the "Danville System" of selling tobacco began in 1858. Previously tobacco had been sold by sample from hogsheads, but under the new system it was sold at auction in open, loose piles so buyers could examine . . . — Map (db m66037) HM
Virginia, Danville — Q 5-n — Danville Tobacco Warehouse and Residential District
On Craghead Street west of Wislon Street, on the right when traveling west.
This area formed the economic core of 19th-century Danville. Founded in 1793 at Wynne’s Falls on the Dan River to facilitate tobacco inspection, Danville became a regional center of activity because of the river and later the railroad. Situated in . . . — Map (db m66034) HM
Virginia, Danville — U-39 — Dix's Ferry
On South Boston Road (U.S. 58) at Kentuck Road (Virginia Route 729), on the right when traveling east on South Boston Road.
In 1766 John Dix established his ferry approximately three miles south of here on the Dan River. During the American Revolution, in February 1781, the ferry was a strategic site in Gen. Nathanael Greene's “race to the Dan,” the pursuit . . . — Map (db m108313) HM
Virginia, Danville — Frederick DeliusLast Performance in Danville
On South Main Street at Main Street (Virginia Route 293), on the right when traveling north on South Main Street.
In this building, on January 30, 1897, the composer Frederick Delius (1862-1934) and his traveling companions - Halfdan Jebe and the "stowaway" Princess de Cysteria - gave a public concert at the Danville College for Young Ladies, later Stratford . . . — Map (db m66050) HM
Virginia, Danville — Q-100 — High Street Baptist Church
On High Street near North Ridge Street, on the left when traveling north.
In 1865 emancipated African Americans withdrew from First Baptist Church, where they had worshiped from the balcony, and founded a congregation later known as High Street Baptist Church. Members erected their first sanctuary here in 1873. Fire . . . — Map (db m104466) HM
Virginia, Danville — Q 7-d — Holbrook-Ross Historic District
On Holbrook Street at Ross Street, on the left when traveling north on Holbrook Street.
The Holbrook-Ross Historic District, named for two major streets, is significant as the first neighborhood in Danville for African American professionals. Lawyers, ministers, dentists and physicians, as well as, business owners, insurance agents, . . . — Map (db m66044) HM
Virginia, Danville — Lady Astor Birthplace
On Broad Street north of Main Street (Virginia Route 293), on the left when traveling north.
In this house Nancy Witcher Langhorne was born 19 May 1879. As Lady Astor she became the first woman to sit in the British House of Commons, serving from 1919 to 1945. Through the Langhorne family, her roots in Virginia run deep into the Seventeenth . . . — Map (db m66047) HM
Virginia, Danville — Q 5-A — Last Confederate Capitol
On Main Street east of Holbrook Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
This, the former home of Major W.T. Sutherlin, is regarded as the last capitol of the Confederacy, April 3-10, 1865. Here President Davis stayed and here was held the last full cabinet meeting, Breckinridge alone being absent. The establishment of . . . — Map (db m66012) HM
Virginia, Danville — Q 5C — Loyal Baptist Church
On Loyal Street south of Lynn Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Loyal Street Baptist Church congregation, which was organized between 1865 and 1866 on Old Hospital-Dance Hill by former slaves, built its church here in 1870. Worship continued at this site until 1924 when the congregation moved to Holbrook . . . — Map (db m66036) HM
Virginia, Danville — Prison Number 6Confederate Prison 1863-1865
On Loyal Street at Lynn Street, on the right when traveling north on Loyal Street.
Built for use as a tobacco factory and leased to the Confederate government, this building housed many Federal soldiers captured in the Battle of the Crater at Petersburg in July 1864. It was one of six buildings used in tobacco manufacturing, . . . — Map (db m66005) HM
Virginia, Danville — Richmond & Danville RailroadReconstruction Period
Near Craghead Street east of Bridge Street, on the left when traveling east.
When Confederate President Jefferson Davis was informed April 2, 1865, that Petersburg had fallen and Federal armies were approaching, he used the Richmond & Danville Railroad to evacuate his government to Danville. Ten days later, after Davis’ . . . — Map (db m66007) HM
Virginia, Danville — Richmond & Danville RailroadDuring the Civil War
Near Craghead Street east of Bridge Street, on the left when traveling east.
At the outbreak of the Civil War, the Richmond & Danville Railroad was already part of a rail network that would sustain the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia. The Richmond & Danville extension to Greensboro, North Carolina, known as the . . . — Map (db m66008) HM
Virginia, Danville — Richmond & Danville RailroadDevelopment of the Railroad
Near Craghead Street east of Bridge Street, on the left when traveling east.
By the outbreak of the Civil War, the Virginia General Assembly had chartered only eight railroads totaling 638 miles. The North, in contrast, had developed an immense network of railroads and canals. This transportation network reached into the . . . — Map (db m66009) HM
Virginia, Danville — L-53 — Saponi Religious Beliefs Explained
On U.S. 29 at Danville Expressway (U.S. 58), on the right when traveling north on U.S. 29. Reported missing.
On 12-15 October 1728, Col. William Byrd II and his party camped just west of here while surveying the Virginia-North Carolina boundary. Bearskin, Byrd's Saponi guide, described his tribe's religious beliefs, which, wrote Byrd in his diary, . . . — Map (db m66052) HM
Virginia, Danville — Q 5K — Schoolfield
On West Main Street (Virginia Route 293) at Baltimore Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street.
Schoolfield, established in 1903 as a textile mill village, was named for three brothers who founded Riverside Cotton Mills, later Dan River Mills. By the 1920s, this company town—complete with a school, churches, stores, a theatre, and other . . . — Map (db m66051) HM
Virginia, Danville — Q 5E — Stratford College
On South Main Street at Main Street (Virginia Route 293), on the right when traveling north on South Main Street.
Stratford College (1930-1974) and its constituent preparatory school, Stratford Hall (1930-1964), maintained the tradition of liberal arts education for women begun in 1854 at the Danville Female College. Main hall was built in 1883 to house the . . . — Map (db m66049) HM
Virginia, Danville — Sutherlin MansionDanville Museum of Fine Arts and History
On Pine Street west of Sutherlin Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
This Italian villa mansion was the home of Maj. William T. Sutherlin, wartime quartermaster for Danville and one of its most prominent citizens. For one week, April 3-10, 1865, Sutherlin and his wife opened their home to Jefferson Davis and the . . . — Map (db m66011) HM
Virginia, Danville — Q-32 — The Gibson Girl / Lady Astor
On Broad Street at Main Street (Virginia Route 293), on the right when traveling south on Broad Street.
(side 1) The Gibson Girl Here stood the residence in which Irene Langhorne Gibson, 1873-1956 was born. Built in 1874, the house was moved in 1921 from its original Main Street corner to 117 Broad Street. Irene's beauty, charm, and . . . — Map (db m66045) HM
Virginia, Danville — The Worsham Street Bridge
On Bridge Street at Wilson Street, on the left when traveling east on Bridge Street.
The Worsham Street Bridge was built in 1928 by the Atlantic Bridge Company of Greensboro, North Carolina. Replacing a smaller iron-and-wood bridge from the early 1900s, it was an open-spandrel reinforced concrete arch bridge and one of the longest . . . — Map (db m66041) HM
Virginia, Danville — Q-5B — Wreck of the Old 97
On Riverside Drive (U.S. 58), on the right when traveling east.
Here, on September 27, 1908, occurred the railroad wreck that inspired the popular ballad, "The Wreck of the Old 97". The southbound mail express train on the Southern Railroad left the tracks on a trestle and plunged into the ravine below. Nine . . . — Map (db m63397) HM
Virginia (Danville), North Danville — Q-5g — Frederick Delius(1962–1934)
On North Main Street (Virginia Route 293) at Keen Street, on the left when traveling north on North Main Street.
One block west on Church Street is the site of the Henry P. Richardson house where Frederick Delius lived while teaching music at Roanoke Female College, now Averett. An unsuccessful orange grower in Florida, the Britisher Delius worked in Danville . . . — Map (db m104474) HM
Virginia (Danville), North Danville — North Danville
On North Main Street (Virginia Route 293) at Worsham Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street.
North Danville was established in 1877 as a distinct town across the Dan River from Danville proper. Its first mayor, John T. Keen, was appointed on July 13, 1880. For a brief period in the 1890s, the town went by the name Neapoils before being . . . — Map (db m104478) HM
Virginia (Danville), Withers Park — U-52 — Rockabilly Pioneer Janis Martin(1940–2007)
On West Main Street (Business U.S. 29) at Holcolm Street, on the right when traveling north on West Main Street.
Born in Sutherlin, Rockabilly pioneer Janis Martin combined country influences with rhythm-and-blues singing, crossing musical boundaries and helping launch Rock and Roll. Singing and playing guitar, she won numerous talent contests before she . . . — Map (db m104501) HM

31 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement