Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Fairfax County Virginia Historical Markers

313 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 113
 
A Fine Improvable Marsh Marker image, Touch for more information
By Samuel Paik, September 18, 2017
A Fine Improvable Marsh Marker
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — A Fine Improvable MarshGeorge Washington Memorial Parkway
When George Washington surveyed the future site of Alexandria in 1749, he described this area as a “fine improvable marsh.” Do you think that ideas about improving marshlands have changed since Washington's time? How can we improve Dyke . . . — Map (db m108523)
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — A Place to Rest—or NestGeorge Washington Memorial Parkway
Nearly 300 different kinds of birds find food, shelter, or a rest stop in Dyke Marsh. Birds that migrate thousands of miles along the Atlantic Flyway rest here on their way to winter homes in the Caribbean, Central America, and South America. . . . — Map (db m108487)
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Anatomy of a Tidal MarshGeorge Washington Memorial Parkway
Your body has a heart and blood vessels to carry nutrients to your tissues, lungs to breathe, kidneys to filter out pollutants, and skin to protect you. When you look closely at Dyke Marsh, you can find natural systems that do all the same things. . . . — Map (db m108522)
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Battery Sater
Battery Sater and Other Defensive Tactics Fort Hunt became fully armed as a coastal defense installation upon completion of Battery Sater, the last of the four gun batteries. Battery Sater also served as a command center for mines placed in the . . . — Map (db m41177) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Beacon Field Airport
In 1929, Airway Beacon No. 55, a pilot’s navigation aid, was installed on this site owned by W.F.P. Reid. Beacon Field is named for the beacon tower. Under the Civilian Pilot Training Program established in 1938, Ashburn Flying Service trained . . . — Map (db m69516) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Bethlehem Baptist Church
According to tradition, the earliest congregation, which would become the Bethlehem Baptist Church, was organized circa 1863 by Samuel K. Taylor, a former slave, who preached in the homes of the African-American residents of Gum Springs. Shortly . . . — Map (db m100708) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Beyond What You See Today
In addition to its use as a coastal defense during the Spanish-American War, Fort Hunt served further military purposes in later years. During World War II, the military transported enemy prisoners here in unmarked, windowless buses, literally . . . — Map (db m41176) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Civilian Conservation Corps
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), originally designed as a New Deal Program under the administration of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, provided work for young men during the Depression Era, a time of excessive unemployment. From 1933-42, . . . — Map (db m41173) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — E-70 — Colonial Fort
Nearby at John Mathew’s land on Hunting Creek, Governor William Berkeley constructed a fort authorized by the Virginia House of Burgesses on 21 Sept. 1674. Militiamen from Lancaster, Middlesex and Northumberland Counties garrisoned the fort under . . . — Map (db m775) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — E-81 — Defenses of Washington
During the Civil War, the U.S. Army constructed a series of forts and artillery batteries around Washington to protect it from Confederate attack. Forts O’Rourke, Weed, Farnsworth, and Lyon stood just to the north, and Fort Willard which still . . . — Map (db m2330) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Defenses of WashingtonFort Willard Park
After Virginia seceded from the Union on April 17, 1861 the District of Columbia was on the dangerous border between the divided states. Because of the city’s importance, the Union Army immediately occupied Northern Virginia, which allowed troops to . . . — Map (db m47967) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Fort Hunt Park
Welcome to Fort Hunt Park. The concrete platform in front of you, Battery Mount Vernon, once held a set of heavy guns designed to protect Washington, D.C. from naval attack. In 1885, Secretary of War William C. Endicott chaired a commission that . . . — Map (db m41175) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — E-102 — Fort Lyon
In this vicinity stood Fort Lyon, the major fortification on the left flank of the Federal defenses guarding the city of Washington during the Civil War. Named in honor of Brig. Gen. Nathaniel Lyon, the fort covered an area of nine acres with its . . . — Map (db m8029) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Fort Washington—The Capital’s Guardian
Fort Washington, directly across the river, is the oldest existing fortification erected for the defense of the national capital. It was begun in 1814 to replace the first fort which was destroyed during the War of 1812 with Great Britain. . . . — Map (db m46152) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Fort WillardFort Willard Park
Fort Willard Park contains significant earthworks and archaeological remains of a fort built in 1862 by the Union Army. It was one of 63 forts that were built surrounding the District of Columbia during the Civil War as part of the Defenses of . . . — Map (db m47971) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Fort Willard
. . . — Map (db m47976) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — George Washington, Farmer
One of the most progressive farmers of his day, George Washington believed America’s future depended on improvements in agriculture. From 1754-1799, he worked to improve his farming methods at Mount Vernon. Abandoning tobacco, which depleted the . . . — Map (db m829) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — E-94 — Gum Springs
Gum Springs, an African-American community, originated here on a 214-acre farm bought in 1833 by West Ford (ca. 1785-1863), a freed man, skilled carpenter, and manager of the Mount Vernon estate. The freedman’s school begun here in 1867 at Bethlehem . . . — Map (db m952) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — B-260 — Historic Green Spring
A 1784 brick house, spring house, and a designed landscape showcase the unique 1942 collaboration of two American masters of design, Walter Macomber and Beatrix Farrand. Green Spring is the only known place where both designers' work is extant. . . . — Map (db m33710) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Historic Jones Point
In the distance is Jones Point, designated as the southern corner of the District of Columbia by President George Washington. In 1790 Congress established the nation’s capital with a ten-mile square of land ceded by Virginia and Maryland. Alexandria . . . — Map (db m798) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Hybla Valley Airport
Virginia's first airport permit was granted to Elvin W. Robertson's Hybla Valley Airport in February 1929. As President of Mount Vernon Airways, he utilized the airfield as a site for barnstorming and air circuses. Robertson, Fairfax Supervisor . . . — Map (db m53880) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — In Support of American Defense
Fort Hunt played a key role in military development and defense. It was used as a major fortification during the Spanish-American War, as a logistical/training support center during peacetime, and as a military installation during WWI and WWII. By . . . — Map (db m41172) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — E-69 — Little Hunting Creek
The Washington family land south of here, named Mount Vernon in the 1740s, was part of a grant made in 1677 by the Northern Neck proprietors to Col. Nicholas Spencer and Lt. Col. John Washington. George Washington’s great-grandfather. John . . . — Map (db m794) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Original Mount Vernon High School
The original Mount Vernon High School was located here on 8.8 acres that were once part of George Washington's Mount Vernon estate. Fairfax County purchased the land for $400 per acre in November 1938. Construction funding was provided by Fairfax . . . — Map (db m100772) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — P.O. Box 11421942-1946 — Alexandria, Va
This flagpole is dedicated to the veterans of P.O. Box 1142 who served this country as members of two military intelligence service (MIS) programs during World War II. Their top secret work here at Fort Hunt not only contributed to the allied . . . — Map (db m71583) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — People and the Land
American Indians occupied the region at least 13,000 years ago. They hunted game and gathered nature's bounty while residing in temporary seasonal camps. Approximately 3,000 years ago, they began to grow crops and establish permanent villages. . . . — Map (db m41174) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Protecting America's Legacy
Fort Hunt, part of a national park known as the George Washington Memorial Parkway, reflects the history of Virginia and the nation. Places along the Parkway represent outstanding examples of cultural landscapes; historical, architectural, and . . . — Map (db m41178) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Saint Mark's Episcopal Church
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church is one of several congregations that evolved from the efforts of nineteenth century students from the Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria. The first congregation met at the original Groveton Schoolhouse on . . . — Map (db m42387) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — The Rose Hill RaidA Not-So-Tender Reunion
On September 28, 1863, Confederate Maj. John S. Mosby raided the house that stood nearby on the bluff at the end of May Boulevard. The day before, Mosby and eight of his men road from Fauquier County toward Alexandria, where Mosby planned to capture . . . — Map (db m67535) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — The Thirteen Adjacent Elms
1732–1932. The thirteen adjacent elms representing the thirteen original colonies were planted in commemoration of the bicentennial celebration of George Washington’s birth and to revere the ancient and honorable artillery company of . . . — Map (db m939) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — These Trees
These trees were planted in commemoration of the eight Presidents of the United States who were sons of Virginia. George Washington, 1789-1797 • Thomas Jefferson, 1801-1809 • James Madison, 1809-1817 • James Monroe, 1817-1825 • Wm. . . . — Map (db m814) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — To Commemorate the 250th Anniversary
To commemorate the 250th anniversary of the birth of George Washington the citizens of the original Washington, Tyne and Wear, England present to the people of the United States 250 trees planted along the Mount Vernon Memorial Highway. 1732-1982 — Map (db m940) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — US Route 1 Wall of AviationHybla Valley and Beacon Field — EW Robertson and HJ Lehman
Hybla Valley From Dream to Flight School This section of Historic Route 1 boasted two private airfields that began operations in the mid 1920’s. When Dr. Hugo Eckener and First Officer Captain Ernst Lehmann flew the Graf Zeppelin . . . — Map (db m68104) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — WW II: A Battle Fought at Home and Abroad
The United States engaged in World War II (WWII) at home and on foreign soil. With formal entry of the United States into WWII, the Military Intelligence Service (MIS) began two top-secret programs, known as MIS-Y and MIS-X, at Fort Hunt. Under the . . . — Map (db m41161) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — Action At Annandale
The roadbed for the unfinished Manassas Gap Railroad was located in this immediate area and crossed Indian Run creek in Poe Terrace Park. The stone bridge abutments are still visible. Financial problems caused work to stop on the railroad in 1857, . . . — Map (db m33512) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — Gooding's Tavern
The Gooding Tavern served Little River Turnpike travelers and stagecoach passengers from 1807-1879 and was famous for “the best fried chicken” and “peaches and honey.” For the community, the tavern served as a social and . . . — Map (db m44097) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — Ilda
Ilda, a community located at the intersection of Guinea Road and Little River Turnpike, came into existence after the Civil War and lasted into the first half of the twentieth century. It originated when two freedmen, Horace Gibson and Moses . . . — Map (db m37906) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — T-41 — Little River Turnpike
The earliest private turnpike charter in Virginia was granted by the General Assembly to the Company of the Fairfax and Loudoun Turnpike Road in 1796. By 1806 the 34-mile-long road connected Alexandria with Aldie on the Little River in Loudoun . . . — Map (db m7374) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — T-50 — Mason’s Hill
During the Civil War, Confederate Col. J. E.B. Stuart used Mason’s Hill and nearby Munson’s Hill as outposts for the First Virginia Cavalry from late July to the end of Sept. 1861. Capt. Edward Porter Alexander of the Signal Corps established a . . . — Map (db m6926) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — Mosby Attacks Annandale
Shortly before 5 A.M. on Wednesday, 24 August 1864, Lt. Col. John Singleton Mosby with about 300 Confederate Rangers and two field artillery pieces opened fire from the west side of the Accotink Creek valley on a Union stockade located in Annandale. . . . — Map (db m35281) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — Price’s Ordinary
At the intersection of Backlick and Braddock Roads stood Price's Ordinary, established by David Price about 1773 and remaining in operation until 1802. Price's offered refreshment and shelter for travelers and a common meeting place for local . . . — Map (db m20895) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — The Cannon
This Model 1905 three inch field gun saw service in the Mexican Campaign against Pancho Villa, and was originally obtained by a local veterans organization during the mid-1950s. In the early 1980s, American Legion Bicentennial Post 1976, . . . — Map (db m6919) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — The Guinea Road Cemetery Reinterment
Virginia aristocrat William Fitzhugh was granted 21,996 acres in 1694: The Ravensworth tract, which was divided into northern and southern halves in 1701 and subsequently subdivided among Fitzhugh heirs throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. The . . . — Map (db m617) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — The Pines
At the turn of the 20th century, a close-knit African American community was established here. The Johnson, Robinson, Sprigg and Collins families were the first to purchase lots. They cleared pine trees to enable truck farming and saw mill . . . — Map (db m100807) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Baileys Crossroads — T-48 — Bailey’s Crossroads Civil War Engagements
After the First Battle of Manassas, Confederate troops led by Col. J.E.B. Stuart occupied nearby Munson's and Mason's Hills from late July until they abandoned their position about 29 Sept. 1861. Confederate troops fought skirmishers of the Union 2d . . . — Map (db m5926) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Belle Haven Park — Wasteland or Wetland?What is Your Point of View? — George Washington Memorial Parkway
Here, 400 years ago, the Piscataway tribe fed themselves on fish and waterfowl. In the early 1800s, Virginia farmers built retaining walls, called dykes, to drain this marsh and make farmland. The dykes proved too hard to keep intact. Without dyles, . . . — Map (db m89604) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — Bog Wallow Ambush
On 4 December 1861, fifty-five men of the 3rd New Jersey Infantry, Col. George W. Taylor commanding, set an ambush nearby in retaliation for attacks on Union pickets. They stretched two telegraph wires across Braddock Road at the eastern end of a . . . — Map (db m72404) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — BW-3 — Burke Station
Burke Station was raided in December, 1862, by Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart. It was from this site, originally Burke Station Depot, that he sent his famous telegram to Union Quartermaster General Meigs complaining of the poor quality of the . . . — Map (db m12) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — Burke's StationThe Christmas Raid
After the Battle of Fredericksburg in December 1862, most of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia settled into winter quarters except for Gen. J.E.B. Stuart's cavalry, which instead went on the move. Wade Hampton, Fitzhugh Lee, . . . — Map (db m83049) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — Burke's StationWood Choppers and Teamsters
During the Civil War, African American laborers chopped wood and conveyed it to Burke’s Station, a major Federal timber transportation station located here on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad. To supply the Union army and engineers with timber for . . . — Map (db m88520) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — Copperthite Racetrack
In 1897 Henry Copperthite, a Georgetown businessman, purchased Silas Burke’s farm. In 1907 he constructed, according to a newspaper account, the “very best” harness racing facility “of its kind in the country.” The . . . — Map (db m93999) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — Lee Chapel Church1871 - 1951
On this site stood Lee Chapel, a Methodist Episcopal Church, built 1871 and named in honor of General Robert E. Lee. Lee Chapel replaced Mount Carmel Church which had been located at Ox Road and present day Lee Chapel Road and had been destroyed by . . . — Map (db m11) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — E-95 — Silas Burke House
Here lived Lt. Col. Silas Burke (b.1796–d.1854) and his wife, Hannah Coffer. Burke, for whom Burke's Station on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad was named, served as a director of the railroad and the Fairfax Turnpike Company. An innkeeper . . . — Map (db m42) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — The Huldah Coffer House
Built ca. 1876 for Huldah Coffer, this house was constructed on farmland that had been in the locally prominent Coffer family since the 18th century. Widowed at age 22, Coffer became a farmer, growing wheat, oats, and Indian corn and raising a . . . — Map (db m86180) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — A Place on the High GroundCentreville Civil War Forts & Earthworks
In the fall of 1861, after their July defeat at Manassas (Bull Run), Union forces retreated to Washington, D.C. to organize and retrain. Confederate forces concentrated in Centreville to bolster their defense of Northern Virginia and protect access . . . — Map (db m8028) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — Archaeology at Newgate TavernHidden Clues to the Past
Tavern Landscape Archaeologists explored the tavern lot and discovered the tavern foundation, an outbuilding’s stone foundation, a small brick foundation, the privy foundation, and a number of trash pits. The tavern’s cellar foundation was . . . — Map (db m71321) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — Battery Ridge
Located 40 ft. south of this location is the Flagler and Forsyth Family Cemetery, 1866. ————— Located 80 ft. to the north is a Civil War Fortification, 1861- 1862. This was a part of a large military complex that . . . — Map (db m15004) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — Blackburn’s FordBullets “Humming Like a Bee-hive”
On July 18, 1861, Gen. Irvin McDowell, the Union army commander, learned that the Confederate army had withdrawn from its Centreville earthworks to a strong defensive position behind Bull Run. McDowell ordered Gen. Daniel Tyler to reconnoiter the . . . — Map (db m42643) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — Blackburn’s FordGuarding the Fords
By the early summer of 1861, Americans in both the North and South greeted the outbreak of war with patriotism and expectations of a quick decisive battle to end the conflict. In the North, the public clamored for immediate invasion to crush the . . . — Map (db m42644) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — C-40 — Campaign of Second Manassas
Seven miles south is Manassas, where Jackson, on his turning movement around Pope, destroyed vast quantities of supplies, August 26–27, 1862. Hill and Ewell of Jackson's force, coming from Manassas, reached Centreville on their way to . . . — Map (db m411) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — Centreville, Virginia
In October 1861, nearly 40,000 troops of the Confederate Army encamped at Centreville. Over the winter they constructed approximately 17 miles of forts, trenches, rifle pits and batteries along the ridge from Centreville to Union Mills and between . . . — Map (db m531) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — Civil War Fortifications
In the winter of 1861-1862, Centreville was the linchpin of extensive fortifications erected by Confederate troops to protect their winter quarters and block anticipated Union advances. The earthworks stretched nearly eight miles south and west of . . . — Map (db m679) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — C-21 — Confederate Defenses
Here while the Confederate army camped at Centreville, Gen. Joseph E. Johnston built strong fortifications in the winter of 1861–1862. In Feb. 1862, President Jefferson Davis ordered Johnston to evacuate them and move his army closer to . . . — Map (db m412) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — Convicts and SlavesLaboring at Newgate
Naming of Newgate Before the town of Centreville was created in 1792, the area was named after places in London. Newgate Tavern may have been named after the infamous Newgate Prison. A property adjacent to the tavern was called Wapping after a . . . — Map (db m71304) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — Z-169 — Fairfax County / Prince William County
Fairfax County. Area 417 square miles. Formed in 1742 from Price William and Loudoun, and named for Lord Fairfax, Proprietor of the Northern Neck. Mount Vernon, George Washington's home, is in this county. Prince William County Area 345 . . . — Map (db m421) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — C-42 — First Battle of ManassasPanic at Cub Creek Bridge
In the afternoon of 21 July 1861, after Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's and Brig. Gen. P. G. T. Beauregard's Confederates defeated Brig. Gen. Irvin McDowell's Union army, the bridge over Cub Run was jammed with retreating Federal soldiers as well as . . . — Map (db m413) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — C-20 — First Battle of Manassas
McDowell gathered his forces here, July 18, 1861, to attack Beauregard, who lay west of Bull Run. From here a part of the Union army moved north to cross Bull Run and turn the Confederate left wing, July 21, 1861. This movement brought on the battle. — Map (db m40320) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — Manassas Gap Railroad Independent Line
The roadbed of the Independent Line of the Manassas Gap Railroad ran through this area. Conceived to extend the Manassas Gap Railroad from Gainesville to Alexandria, grading on this part of the line began in September 1854. The nearby stone bridge . . . — Map (db m655) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — C-17 — Military Railroad Terminus
Half a mile west is the terminus of the Centreville Military Railroad, the first railroad in the world constructed exclusively for military purposes. Built by the Confederate army late in 1861 because of impassable roads, it supplied the soldiers in . . . — Map (db m887) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — Mount Gilead Historic Site
Mount Gilead, built in the second half of the 18th century, is the sole survivor of Newgate village, a colonial settlement and trading center, renamed Centreville in 1792, when an act of the Virginia assembly gave it town status. Presenting an . . . — Map (db m529) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — Newgate TavernFor Dining, Drinking and Lodging
The Tavern William Carr Lane established the Newgate Tavern ca. 1768 on what was then a main route to the west. In the early 1800s, the tavern (renamed the Eagle Tavern) had a hallway and four spacious rooms on the first floor and large . . . — Map (db m69038) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — Old Stone ChurchHaven for the Wounded
Here, where the Warrenton Turnpike turned west from Braddock Road, the Union army marched from Centreville to meet Confederate forces in the first great battle of the Civil War on July 21, 1961. The afternoon, Union soldiers passed by here again, . . . — Map (db m530) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — On This SiteIn 1861
Confederate forces constructed this defense bunker in the winter of 1861. The bunker site was chosen due to the relatively high elevation of the Centreville area and it's excellent vantage. Confederate forces held the bunker from the time of its . . . — Map (db m15301) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — Retreat From ManassasPanic at Cub Run Bridge
Following the disastrous defeat at the First Battle of Manassas on July 21, 1861, the Union army retreated toward Centreville late in the afternoon with Confederate forces in pursuit. Thousands of Federal soldiers converged simultaneously at the . . . — Map (db m75727) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — C-22 — Second Battle of Manassas
Here Pope gathered his forces, August 30–31, 1862. From this point he detached troops to check Jackson at Ox Hill while the Union army retreated to the defenses at Alexandria. — Map (db m410) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — St. John’s Episcopal ChurchStill Faithful after the Ravages of War
Passing armies occupied and fortified Centreville, positioned between Washington, D.C., and Manassas Junction, beginning in July 1861 when Confederate and Union forces met during the war’s first significant campaign. As American and British . . . — Map (db m57135) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — The Centreville Confederate Military Railroad
These are the remains of the Centreville Confederate Military Railroad built in the fall and early winter of 1861 for the purpose of transporting supplies to the field armies of Generals Pierre G. T. Beauregard and Joseph Johnston. The railroad ran . . . — Map (db m42608) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — C-23 — The Stone Bridge
Originally built of native sandstone in 1825, the turnpike bridge over Bull Run became an important landmark in the Civil War battles at Manassas. Union Brig. Gen. Daniel Tyler's division feigned an attack on Col. Nathan G. Evans's brigade guarding . . . — Map (db m420) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — B-11 — Battle of Chantilly (Ox Hill)
The Battle of Chantilly (Ox Hill) took place here 1 September, 1862. Union General John Pope's Army, retreating after defeat by Lee at Second Manassas, clashed with Jackson's divisions which were attempting to prevent Pope from reaching Washington. . . . — Map (db m55932) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — Chantilly
The community of Chantilly, Virginia was named after the Chantilly mansion built by Charles and Cornelia Calvert Stuart on this site about 1817. The name “Chantilly” originated in France with the Château de Chantilly, just north of . . . — Map (db m53620) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — Clover Hill
Clover Hill, the residence of Alexander Turley, was built near here ca. 1823 on a high point of Turley's 450-acre farm. The two-story brick house featured Alexander Turley's initials incorporated into the chimney using glazed bricks. Slave cabins . . . — Map (db m95088) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — B-12 — Colonel John Singleton Mosby
This road, along which many of his skirmishes took place, is named for Colonel John Singleton Mosby, commander of the 43rd Battalion of Confederate Partisan Rangers. Their activities in this area helped keep the Confederate cause alive in Northern . . . — Map (db m2669) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — McAtee's Tavern
This building’s exterior is a reproduction of a tavern built on this site in 1807 by Harrison McAtee. This location, on a section of the Little River Turnpike that opened in December 1806, was advantageous for farmers conveying goods from western . . . — Map (db m104247) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — Mitchell-Weeks House
This building is a reproduction of a typical "Potomac Valley Farmhouse" built at this location circa 1789 by Benjamin Mitchell. It was one and a half story log house, with a sloping front roof extending over a porch, which in time became a community . . . — Map (db m109) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — PenderFrom Battleground to Community
Union Loyalists at the Stewart Farm Eleanor Stewart and her son Charles, who lived in a house on this site during the Civil War, were Union Loyalists in an area dominated by Southern supporters. Their neighbors called them “Yankees.” . . . — Map (db m53662) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — Salisbury Plain
This land was the eastern most boundary of a 3,111 acre grant, known as Salisbury Plain, acquired by Henry Lee from Thomas 6th Lord Fairfax in 1725 when it was part of the Stafford County frontier. This area became Prince William County in 1730, . . . — Map (db m4533) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — C-18 — Sully Plantation
The dwelling house at Sully Plantation was built in 1794 by Richard Bland Lee on land that had been patented in 1725. Lee was the first congressman from Northern Virginia and an early member of Phi Beta Kappa. His vote brought the capital city to . . . — Map (db m216) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — The Cross Farmhouse
The Alfred Judson Cross Farmhouse was built in 1905, replacing an earlier structure built by Cross's father and lost to fire earlier that year. The house was rebuilt on the same foundation using timber cut on the farm and sawn at a local mill. The . . . — Map (db m8346) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — The Sully FarmsAlone in Dixie
At the time of the Civil War, the farms of Sully and Little Sully (no longer standing) were the homes of the Barlow and Haight families respectively. These families, connected by marriage, had come to Virginia from Dutchess County, New York, and . . . — Map (db m217) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — The Walney DairyThe Role of the Dairy at 19th Century Walney
This stone building was the Machen family dairy from about the 1850s until the 1890s. Originally just one room, the dairy was a place to cool milk and to make butter and cheese. Before the Civil War, Caroline Machen made butter and cheese for her . . . — Map (db m8356) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — The Walney DairyAnatomy of a Dairy
The Perfect Location The Machen’s chose this site to take advantage of the natural flow of the spring. Water was easily directed from the spring through the building and out the other side. As it passed through, the cold spring water . . . — Map (db m8358) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — The Walney Dairy19th Century Dairying: A Cottage Industry
Butter Before the Civil War, the Machen women and a slave named Sally made butter for the family in this room every week. By 1880 the farm was making butter for commercial sale and men did the work. In the room to your left, several . . . — Map (db m8362) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — Walney House
Honoring Walney House whose history as a farm, dairy, & country retreat, reflects many facets of the development of western Fairfax County since the Eighteenth Century. — Map (db m8342) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — Walney OutbuildingsOutbuilding Foundation
“They have a queer way of building one thing after another, the great point being to have a separate shed or out-house for every purpose…You will find a carpenter’s shop, tool room, coach-shed, pig-house, stable, kitchen, two or three . . . — Map (db m8344) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — Walney OutbuildingsSmoke House
Caroline Machen (at Walney) to Lewis Machen, December 1849 “You speak of making our pork into bacon before selling it. I do not think it would answer well in many accounts. Our smoke house is too small…” James Machen (at . . . — Map (db m8351) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — Walney OutbuildingsIcehouse
Emmeline Machen (at Walney) to Arthur Machen, December 1853 “As to the Ice-house I remind James of it daily and indeed almost every time I see him. … Campbell promised to come today to commence digging it, but has failed to make his . . . — Map (db m8352) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Buckley Storec. 1900
“From a pin to a plow” was the Buckley Brothers' motto for their general store which was the largest store between Alexandria and Front Royal at one time. Since the Clifton School did not own a scale, the scales in the store were used to . . . — Map (db m110135) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Clifton Baptist Church1876
In 1876, George W. Tillet, along with other area men who served with Mosby’s Rangers during the Civil War, formed a Baptist Church with services held in his home. Subsequently, they built a one-room church on this site in 1877 which was replaced by . . . — Map (db m110179) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Clifton Presbyterian Church1870
After the Civil War, residents seeking Christian fellowship and education organized a Sunday School in the Hetzel House at the corner of Chapel and Pendleton streets. In 1869, nine members of the community organized Clifton Presbyterian Church, . . . — Map (db m110160) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Clifton Primitive Baptist Church1871
Built in 1871 as the Clifton Old School Primitive Baptist Church, it is the oldest African-American church in Fairfax County. The town of Clifton was initially inhabited by emancipated slaves and the church was built on land donated by one of them, . . . — Map (db m110265) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — E-101 — Devereux Station
In 1863, during the Civil War, Pennsylvanian Herman Haupt, a noted bridge designer and the superintendent of Union military railroads, commissioned John Devereux, the railroad superintendent in Alexandria, to build a siding on the Orange & . . . — Map (db m7402) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Devereux StationOrange and Alexandria Railroad
Devereux Station, constructed in 1863 on the Orange and Alexandria (O&A) Railroad, was located down the tracks to your left. After the Confederate army withdrew from northern Virginia toward Richmond in March 1862, the U.S. Military Railroad (USMRR) . . . — Map (db m57200) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Ivakota Farm
On this land stood Ivakota Farm, founded as a Progressive Era reform school and home for unwed mothers and their children. In 1915 Ella Shaw donated her 264-acre farm to the National Florence Crittenton Mission (NFCM). Named for the states where she . . . — Map (db m7401) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Old Dominion Stone Company Millstone
Between 1891 and 1932, the Old Dominion Stone Company quarried and processed soapstone at a location within the current Little Rocky Run community. This millstone was use to grind the soapstone into a fine powder called talc. This millstone . . . — Map (db m76483) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Sangster’s Station“Tears And Love For the Blue—Love and Tears for the Grey”
During the Civil War, the Orange & Alexandria Railroad was strategically important to both the Union and the Confederate armies. Sangster's Station, located 1-3/4 miles to your right where Colchester Road crosses under the railroad tracks, was the . . . — Map (db m110134) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Union Mills Historic Site
In the late 18th century, following the American Revolution, this area of Fairfax County began to be referred to as Union Mills. Covering five or six square miles between Popes Head Run and Johnny Moore Run, it was recognized for its water powered . . . — Map (db m11464) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Wm. E. Beckwith House1771
The original portion was built of logs and contained a huge stone fireplace still visible today. Modified through the years its most illustrious moment in history as during the Civil War years 1862, when it served as General Pope's headquarters. — Map (db m110280) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Wolf Run ShoalsStrategic Crossing Point
During the Civil War, both Union and Confederate forces considered Wolf Run Shoals an essential crossing point on the Occoquan River through 1963. Confederate regiments camped on the south side of the shoals and posted pickets there from the winter . . . — Map (db m74885) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Crowells Corner — Cartersville Baptist Church
According to tradition, free African-Americans established a religious congregation, which met in private homes, in this area as early as 1863. Rose Carter, a member of the community, donated land for a church in 1903. The church served the . . . — Map (db m2163) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Dranesville — T-36 — Action At Dranesville
Near here two foraging expeditions came in conflict, December 20, 1861. The Union force was commanded by General Ord, the Confederate by J.E.B. Stuart. Stuart attacked in order to protect his foraging parties, but was forced to retire after a sharp . . . — Map (db m92721) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Dunn Loring — Camp Alger
In May 1898 the Spanish-American War came to Northern Virginia with the establishment of Camp Russell A. Alger (below). The 1,400-acre camp, south of where you are now located, encompassed the fields and forests of the former Woodburn Manor . . . — Map (db m24873) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Dunn Loring — Dunn Loring Station
As an attraction for potential home-buyers, the Loring Land and Improvement Company constructed a railroad station on the site just to your right for the planned subdivision of Dunn Loring. An 1880s advertisement notes that "Good railroad . . . — Map (db m24875) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Dunn Loring — Tracks into HistoryThe Washington & Old Dominion Railroad
The railroad that became the Washington & Old Dominion was born in Alexandria in response to the competition in shipping posed by the port in Baltimore, which was served by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. The B&O was diverting farm produce from the . . . — Map (db m24874) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — Battle of Chantilly - Ox Hill
On September 1, 1862, Confederate forces under the command of Major General Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson moved across and to the southwestern edge of this site to engage Union forces determined to prevent a glancing movement on demoralized Union . . . — Map (db m110) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — B-13 — Battle of Ox Hill (Chantilly)
Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's wing of the Army of Northern Virginia reached here 1 Sept. 1862. Jackson's march from the battlefield of Second Manassas turned the position of Maj. Gen. John Pope's army at Centreville and threatened the . . . — Map (db m115) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — C-19 — Bull Run Battlefields
Ten miles west were fought the two Battles of Manassas or Bull Run. — Map (db m619) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — BW-2 — Burke’s Station Raid
Burke’s Station, four miles south, was raided by Stuart’s cavalry, December, 1862. Stuart telegraphed to Washington complaining of the bad quality of the mules he had captured—a famous joke. — Map (db m618) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — David R. Pinn Community Center
After the Civil War, a small community of African Americans lived on Route 654, now known as Zion Drive. The Wrights, Hamiltons, Whites, and Pinns were farmers and laborers. In 1904, David R. & Sarah F. Pinn donated an acre of land to build Little . . . — Map (db m57234) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — E-98 — Fairfax Nike Missile Site
During the Cold War a ring of Nike anti-aircraft missile sites defended the nation’s capital, reminiscent of the perimeter of forts that protected it during the Civil War. Just east of here was located the launch control equipment for one of the . . . — Map (db m2093) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — Manassas Gap Railroad Independent Line
The Independent Line of the Manassas Gap Railroad ran through this area. Conceived to extend the Manassas Gap Railroad to Alexandria, grading on this part of the line began in September 1854. Financial problems stopped the work in May 1857. In . . . — Map (db m528) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — B-29 — Maryland (Antietam / Sharpsburg) Campaign
Following the Battle of Ox Hill (Chantilly) on 1 Sept. 1862, Gen. Robert E. Lee pondered his options and strategy. Encouraged by Confederate victories and Federal disorganization, Lee acted quickly to continue the offensive. On 3 Sept., Lee's Army . . . — Map (db m111) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — Reid-Ballard HouseOnce a Prominent Landmark — Ox Hill (Chantilly) Battlefield
The historic Reid-Ballard House once stood 140 yards west-northwest of this marker. The original log structure was built by Joseph Reid before the Revolution on land inherited by his wife, Barbara Walker Reid. The house and land passed to succeeding . . . — Map (db m3216) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — The Battle of Ox HillThe Death of Generals Stevens and Kearny — Second Manassas Campaign
The Battle of Ox Hill (or Chantilly) was fought here, in rain and storm, on September 1, 1862. It was a bloody aftermath following the Second Battle of Manassas (August 28-30) where the Union Army under Gen. John Pope was defeated and driven across . . . — Map (db m116) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — The Battle of Ox HillThe Attack and Death of General Stevens
Acting to protect Pope’s line of retreat along the Warrenton Turnpike, Brigadier General Isaac Stevens, commanding the 1st Division, IX Corps, seized the initiative and ordered an attack. With storm clouds threatening and artillery fire booming . . . — Map (db m15160) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — The Battle of Ox HillThe Battle of “Chantilly” (Ox Hill) — Then & Now
This early 20th-century photograph of the “Chantilly” battlefield was published by Fairfax County in 1907. The photo was taken from a vantage point a short distance ahead and to the right, beyond the park. It shows the pasture of the . . . — Map (db m15162) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — The Battle of Ox HillAttack of General Birney’s Brigade
A courier with an urgent request galloped up to 1st Division, III Corps commander Major General Philip Kearny on the Warrenton Turnpike. General Stevens’ division had intercepted Stonewall Jackson’s column on the Little River Turnpike and was in . . . — Map (db m15163) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — The Battle of Ox HillThe Death of General Kearny
As a rainy darkness enveloped the battlefield, Major General Philip Kearny rode eastward to investigate the reported gap in the Union line. Reigning up in the pasture, Kearny became alarmed that Stevens’ division had abandoned that part of the field . . . — Map (db m15165) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — The Battle of Ox HillBoulders and Quartz Stone — The Spot Where General Stevens Fell
The boulders and quartz stone beside this fence mark the location where Union General Isaac Stevens fell with the flag of the 79th New York “Highlanders” during the initial Union assault. Here, Stevens’ troops threw down the fence and . . . — Map (db m15168) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — The Battle of Ox HillKearny and Stevens Monuments
In July 1915, John and Mary Ballard deeded a 50x100-foot lot on their farm to six trustees, three from Virginia and three from New Jersey, General Kearny’s home state. The small lot was reserved for monuments to any Confederate or Federal soldier . . . — Map (db m15170) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — The Battle of Ox HillKearny's Stump and the Monument Lot
The history of this small granite monument, marked simply “Kearny’s Stump,” is a mystery. According to tradition, a tree stood here at the time of the Ox Hill battle that subsequently became known as the “Kearny Tree.” It was . . . — Map (db m15172) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — The Battle of Ox HillGeneral Reno's Probe East of Ox Road
While General Stevens’ division attacked the Confederates on this side of Ox Road, part of General Jesse Reno’s division entered the woods east of the road to protect Stevens’ flank and probe the Confederate line. Reno’s two leading regiments . . . — Map (db m15180) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — The Battle of Ox HillAftermath: The Invasion of Maryland
The clash at Ox Hill ended the Second Manassas Campaign. A small force of 6,000 Union soldiers had battled to a stalemate a much larger Confederate force of 17,000 of whom about 10,000 were engaged. In little more than two hours, the Confederates . . . — Map (db m15184) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — The Battle of Ox Hill
(Kiosk Panel): Ox Hill Battlefield Park & Interpretive Trail This small park is the last remnant of Fairfax County’s only major Civil War battlefield. The Battle of Ox Hill, also known as the “Battle of Chantilly,” lasted but . . . — Map (db m15599) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — The Battle of Ox Hill
(Kiosk Panel): Sequel to Second Manassas The Battle of Ox Hill, September 1, 1862 The Confederate victory at Second Manassas (August 28-30, 1862) forced Union General John Pope’s Army of Virginia to retreat to the heights of Centreville. . . . — Map (db m15618) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — The Battle of Ox Hill
(Kiosk Panel): Wounds Suffered at Ox Hill (Chantilly) September 1, 1862 Union Soldiers 4th Maine, 2nd Brigade (Birney), Kearny’s Division: Pvt. Lorenzo E. Dickey, Co. A, Age 21: At Chantilly, received gunshot would in right . . . — Map (db m15620) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — War DogsAlways Faithful
War Dogs Always Faithful War Dog Monument Given to Fairfax County Virginia June 2011 Deployed World War II Korean Conflict Vietnam War Gulf War Iraq War Afghan War Erected by The National War Dogs Monument Inc. - . . . — Map (db m74125) WM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax Station — Clara H. BartonFounder of the American Red Cross
Here at Fairfax Station in early Sept. 1862, after the Second Battle of Manassas and the action near Chantilly, Clara Barton ministered to the suffering. By her humane and tireless efforts this Angel of the Battlefield helped move over 3000 wounded . . . — Map (db m102) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax Station — Fairfax Station“The angel of the battlefield.”
The first Fairfax Station depot, built by Irish immigrants in 1852, was a stop on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad from Alexandria to Gordonsville. Early in 1862, after Confederate forces withdrew, the railroad carried military supplies and . . . — Map (db m885) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax Station — Fairfax Station
Fairfax Station, established on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad in 1851, was originally known as Lee's Station until 1852. It served the town of Providence, location of the Fairfax County Court House. A small community, mostly Irish, grew near . . . — Map (db m59040) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax Station — In this Church of St. Mary’sAugust 31 – September 1, 1862
The founder of American Red Cross Clara H. Barton nursed the wounded and dying soldiers from the Second Battle of Manassas and the engagement near Chantilly — Map (db m110236) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax Station — Payne’s Church
Placed by Providence Chapter, NSDAR. 1985 Site of Payne’s Church Church of England….. 1768 — Map (db m110064) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax Station — Selecman’s (Snyder’s) Ford
Near here on the Occoquan River was Selecman’s Ford, a rocky, narrow river crossing used by both sides during the Civil War. The 17th Pennsylvania Cavalry with 100 men of the 6th Pennsylvania Cavalry crossed this ford on December 19, 1862 to defend . . . — Map (db m63409) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax Station — Skirmish at St. Mary’sVictory or Death
Monday, August 8, 1864, was a hot and sultry day. Capt. John McMenamin of the 15th New York Volunteer Cavalry and Capt. James Fleming of the 16th New York Volunteer Cavalry had stopped at St. Mary's Church on the Ox Road (now Fairfax Station Rd.), . . . — Map (db m186) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax Station — St. Mary’s Catholic Church
Dedicated September 19, 1858 by Rt. Rev. John McGill, Bishop of Richmond. — Catholic workers, who were employed in building the Fairfax Railroad pass, began work on the structure in 1856. They were assisted by members of the nearby Hamill . . . — Map (db m184) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Falls Church — Bailey’s Crossroads
In 1837 Hachaliah Bailey (1774-1845) from Westchester County, New York, purchased 526 acres in the northeast quadrant formed by the intersection of Leesburg and Columbia Pikes. Here he built his home, known as "Moray," which was destroyed by fire in . . . — Map (db m632) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Falls Church — T-40 — Lincoln Reviews Troops at Bailey’s Crossroads
After the Union defeat on 21 July 1861 at the First Battle of Manassas, Lincoln appointed Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan as commander of the demoralized army. A superb organizer, McClellan rebuilt the army and on 20 November 1861 staged a formal . . . — Map (db m180) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — ‘Thermo-Con’ House
In 1948, the Department of Defense worked with Higgins Industries to develop a standard house design to meet the Army’s housing shortage. Higgins Industries designed and mass-produced landing craft during World War II and held the patent for . . . — Map (db m9440) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — Belvoir Grounds and Potomac View TrailThe Northern Neck Land GrantBelvoir and the Fairfax Family
(Left Side): The Northern Neck Land Grant A proprietary was land granted to a loyal subject of the King. The Proprietor was permitted to subdivide the land and grant, sell or give it to others. In 1649, King Charles II granted the . . . — Map (db m34927) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — E-60 — Belvoir
Belvoir, meaning "beautiful to see," was built about 1741 for William Fairfax, land agent for his cousin Thomas, sixth baron Fairfax of Cameron and Northern Neck proprietor. George Washington was introduced to Belvoir and its gentry culture while in . . . — Map (db m7691) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — Belvoir
When William Fairfax came to Virginia, he brought many strong English traditions with him. The manor and grounds of Belvoir were laid out similarly to English estates. The brick, Georgian manor was the most sought after and fashionable . . . — Map (db m35073) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — Fairfax Family Cemetery
This quarter-mile trail leads to the Fairfax Family Cemetery. It was common practice in the 18th century for residents of estates to be buried in family cemeteries on their property. William Fairfax and his wife Deborah, who died in 1757 and 1747, . . . — Map (db m35136) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — Fairfax Monument
This monument, erected circa 1924 by the Fairfax family, memorializes William Fairfax, who built Belvoir, and his wife Deborah Clarke, who died in 1757 and 1747, respectively. The monument also honors Thomas and William Henry Fairfax, two of . . . — Map (db m39021) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — Ferdinando, and the End of the Fairfax Ownership
When George William died in 1787, the land and remains of Belvoir were willed to his nephew, Ferdinando Fairfax, son of his brother Bevan. Ferdinando and his wife Elizabeth lived on the grounds of Belvoir in a house known as the . . . — Map (db m35069) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — E-64 — Fort Belvoir
Fort Belvoir is named for the 18th-century plantation that was owned by William Fairfax. The house burned in 1783. The U.S. War Department acquired much of the Belvoir tract in 1912 as a training center and named it Camp A. A. Humphreys for Maj. . . . — Map (db m7689) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — Gardens and Kitchen at Belvoir
Ornamental courtyard gardens were a luxury to create and maintain. The presence of a courtyard garden on an estate indicated the owners were wealthy, educated people. Records show that the garden layout was based upon a garden in Sterling, Scotland. . . . — Map (db m35128) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — Life at Belvoir
Belvoir bustled with activities typical of estates during this era. Family members, slaves, and guests were part of daily life at Belvoir. Nearby plantation residents traveled in the same circles, the Fairfaxes, the Washingtons, and . . . — Map (db m35126) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — Non Commissioned Officers’ Service Club
The Office of the Quartermaster General designed this building as an NCO club and the 13th Engineer Regiment constructed it in 1939. The building was constructed with materials appropriated from the post. Prior to this time, a “Hostess . . . — Map (db m9444) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — Slavery and Belvoir
Little is known about the slaves and slave life at Belvoir. The manor was constructed at a time when wealthy Virginia farmers used slave labor as a diversified agricultural regime. Slaves also worked as skilled tradesmen in the countryside and in . . . — Map (db m35134) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — The Army Comes to Belvoir
By 1910, the area including Belvoir was sold to the US Government. In 1912, the land was transferred to the War Department, designated for use as an Army training site, and was first used in 1915. By 1918, the area was transformed into Camp . . . — Map (db m34947) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — The Birth of a River
Nearly 12,000 years ago, the Potomac River was formed as a result of the final glacial episode of the Pleistocene Epoch. At that time, the Potomac River was little more than a tributary of the Susquehanna River. A variety of large animals known as . . . — Map (db m35064) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — The Fairfax Family
Belvoir was the home of William Fairfax from 1741 until his death in 1757. William Fairfax hand seven children, four by his marriage to Sarah Walker: Sarah, Ann, Thomas and George William. After Sarah Walker Fairfax's death in 1731, William . . . — Map (db m35070) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — The Influence of the Fairfax Family
William Fairfax: • fought in Spain for Queen Anne; • was a member of the Royal Navy; • served as Governor of New Providence, Bahama Islands, • served as an agent to manage, the Northern Neck Proprietary; • was a Vestryman of Pohick . . . — Map (db m35116) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — The Neighborhood
Prominent places in the colonial landscape Accotink Village: The town of Accotink was started as a 17th century meeting place. During the colonial period a gristmill and racetrack were located here. Pohick Church: Truro Parish was . . . — Map (db m35118) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Belvoir — William Fairfax and His Son, George William Fairfax
After schooling in England, George William Fairfax returned to Belvoir to live in 1746, and married Sarah Cary, also known as Sally, in 1748. They had no children. Upon his father William Fairfax's death in 1757, George William inherited . . . — Map (db m35135) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Hunt — Mount Vernon Memorial HighwayGeorge Washington Memorial Parkway
Construction of the Mount Vernon Memorial Highway was the result of years of public support for a dignified memorial road connecting the nation’s capital with the home of its first president. The 15-mile roadway opened in 1932, to commemorate the . . . — Map (db m93158) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fort Hunt — The Last Defense — Fort Hunt
British warships took advantage of the width and depth of the Potomac River to sail up from the Chesapeake Bay during the War of 1812. Existing defenses were too weak to stop them from shelling Alexandria. Aware that the nation’s Capitol was . . . — Map (db m46129) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Franconia — E-125 — Birthplace of Fitzhugh Lee
To the north stood Clermont, the birthplace of Fitzhugh "Fitz" Lee. Born on 19 Nov. 1835, Lee was the nephew of Gen. Robert E. Lee. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 1856. During the Civil War, Fitzhugh Lee was commissioned as a . . . — Map (db m161) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Franconia — Carrolltown
In this vicinity a small African-American settlement grew from ten acres of land given to Jane Carroll by her owner, Dennis Johnston, before 1856. Jane's son, George, acquired an additional 121 acres from Johnston's heirs in 1899 and 1903. In 1904 . . . — Map (db m163) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Franconia — Franconia
“Frankhonia Farm” was situated on 191 acres purchased in 1859 by Alexandria merchant and businessman William Fowle from Joseph Broders of Oak Grove Farm. His son, Robert Rollins Fowle, sold 18 acres to the Alexandria & Fredericksburg . . . — Map (db m158) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Franconia — Laurel Grove Colored School and Church
In the early 1880s, former slaves organized a congregation and held church services near a grove of laurel on Beulah Road. The trustees, including Middleton Braxton, George Carroll, Thornton Gray, and William Jasper, were focused on educating the . . . — Map (db m86181) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Franconia — Rose Hill
The community of Rose Hill was created in 1954. The land was part of an 18th century plantation known as Rose Hill, established by Daniel French, the builder of Pohick Church. The house was the site of a raid by Confederate Maj. John S. Mosby on 28 . . . — Map (db m160) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — A Globally Rare Environment
The Potomac River Gorge "In more than twenty-five years of field work, I have not seen another site with a comparable diversity of land forms, plants, and natural communities." -Gary Fleming, Ecologist, Virginia DCR Look around you. . . . — Map (db m4974) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — American Indians of the Potomac RiverRiverbend Park — Potomac River Gorge Interpretive Trail
Prehistoric people arrived along the shores of the Potomac River some 13,000 years ago. Slowly they transformed from semi-nomadic hunters into farmers and fishermen. Eventually, a group called the Nacotchtanks became the dominant tribe of the . . . — Map (db m64316) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — Crossing the Potomac at Rowser's FordJ.E.B. Stuart's Most Difficult Achievement
Late afternoon on June 27, 1863, Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart began assembling his cavalry brigades at Dranesville. To avoid the Union Army of the Potomac (90,000-strong) then crossing the Potomac upstream at Edwards Ferry, Stuart ordered . . . — Map (db m59678) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — Forestville School
Once the site of a Forestville School, this building has served the citizens of the Great Falls community for a century. Constructed alongside the Georgetown Pike in 1889, the school consisted of one room until 1911 when a second building, the . . . — Map (db m2181) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — Great Falls Canal and Locks
National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark Great Falls Canal and Locks Constructed 1785-1802. Operated until 1821 ——— These works were the major feature of the first river navigation system for trade with the west. This . . . — Map (db m4975) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — T-46 — Great Falls Nike Missile Site
Just to the southeast were radar and other control equipment that formed a portion of one of three Nike anti-aircraft missile complexes in Fairfax County. The site was operated by the U.S. Army between 1954 and 1962. Established during the Cold War . . . — Map (db m2091) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — Historical Statement (The Bell)
The year was 1942, and citizens of Great Falls were concerned that bombings, like those of London, might occur in Washington, DC. In a time of great threats, including attacks on major cities, a handful of Great Falls area citizens came together to . . . — Map (db m60489) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — E-112 — Old Road To The West
Colvin Run Road is a remnant of an 18th-century wagon road from the Shenandoah Valley to Alexandria that probably originated as an Indian path. George Washington passed by here in 1753 and 1754 en route to persuade the French on the Ohio River to . . . — Map (db m1861) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — People and the Potomac
Great Falls Park The Potomac River is the second largest watershed feeding the Chesapeake Bay. Early peoples depended on the river for food and made their homes along its banks. European settlers saw the river as a source for transportation, . . . — Map (db m4972) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — River Crossing at Conn's FerryWar of 1812
Invasion of Washington City Following the defeat of American militia forces by British regulars at Bladensburg, Maryland on the afternoon of August 24, 1814, a small British force, consisting mainly of officers, marched into the capital . . . — Map (db m102960) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — River of ChangeThe Potomac River at Great Falls
The Potomac River begins as a small spring near Fairfax Stone, West Virginia. Like a giant funnel it gathers water from Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia as it travels 383 miles to the Chesapeake Bay. . . . — Map (db m4973) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — Rowser's Ford5,000 Confederate Cavalrymen Crossed — Gettysburg Campaign
(Preface): After Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee's stunning victory at Chancellorsvile in May 1863, he led the Army of Northern Virginia west to the Shenandoah Valley, then north through central Maryland and across the Mason-Dixon Line into . . . — Map (db m59675) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — The Patowmack Canal
1785–1828 This canal, skirting the 76-foot drop of the Great Falls of the Potomac, was the most demanding and complex of the five canals built by the Patowmack Company. The company was founded by George Washington on May 17, 1785 to . . . — Map (db m2096) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — E-143 — U.S. Army Map Service
Here, at a former Nike missile site, the U.S. Army Map Service established a research station to support geo-location and navigation in 1961. Two years later, the Map Service Initiated a significant satellite tracking program that became part . . . — Map (db m104755) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — Washington's Canal
This will become the great avenue into the Western Country. - George Washington The stone wall you see nearby is not just any stone wall; it was built here in the late 1700s as part of George Washington's Patowmack Canal. The wall is a . . . — Map (db m59681) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Groveton — E-96 — Huntley
On the hill above stands Huntley, a Federal-style villa built about 1825 for Thomson F. Mason, a grandson of George Mason of Gunston Hall. Thomson Mason, a prominent Alexandria lawyer, served on the city council, as mayor, and also as president of . . . — Map (db m7909) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Groveton — Huntley
The Huntley mansion house and its surrounding farm complex were built circa 1820 as a secondary residence for Thomson Francis Mason and his wife Elizabeth Clapman Price. Thomson Francis Mason, a prominent Virginia lawyer, was active in Alexandria . . . — Map (db m7911) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Herndon — Acetylene Gas Generating Station
Circa 1900. The Herndon Gas Company was established in the early 1900s by two brothers, Edward and Benjamin Detwiler. The company provided gas for downtown Herndon street lights and for lights in a few of the Town's more affluent households. . . . — Map (db m516) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Herndon — Battle of Dranesville“First Federal Victory South of the Potomac”
In the fall of 1861, Fairfax County found itself between two large armies. Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston and his army occupied the Centreville area. The Federal army, still regrouping after the devastating defeat at the First Battle of . . . — Map (db m71883) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Herndon — Civil War at Frying Pan Spring Meeting House
The Frying Pan Spring Meeting House witnessed much Civil war activity. Union and Confederate military records mention the location numerous times as a meeting place and a site of skirmishes. In 1861 and 1862, encampments of Confederate troops . . . — Map (db m64519) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Herndon — Frying Pan Meeting House
. . . — Map (db m5608) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Herndon — Frying Pan Meeting House
Frying Pan Springs Meeting House was erected c. 1791 on land granted by Robert “Counsellor” Carter to a group of “Old School” Baptists. In addition to local farmers the fundamentalist beliefs of its members also attracted . . . — Map (db m5609) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Herndon — T-43 — Frying Pan Meeting House
The Frying Pan Meeting House, constructed by 1791 on land donated by the Carter family in 1783, was used for Baptist services until 1968. Named for nearby Frying Pan Branch, the church is a rare example of 18th-Century architecture in western . . . — Map (db m95104) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Herndon — Herndon Station
Herndon grew up around this railroad station. The town received its name in 1858 when the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad (later the W&OD) arrived and a post office was established in the newly built station. Herndon quickly became the . . . — Map (db m152) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Herndon — C-24 — Laura Ratcliffe
Confederate spy Laura Ratcliffe was born in Fairfax County in 1836. During the Civil War, she became an acquaintance of Maj. Gen. J. E. B. Stuart who introduced her to then-Lt. John Mosby in 1862. Mosby credited her with preventing his capture . . . — Map (db m1642) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Herndon — Mosby’s Herndon Station Raid“My loss was nothing.” — Mosby's Confederacy
On St. Patrick's Day, March 17, 1863, Confederate Capt. John S. Mosby and 40 Partisan Rangers attacked the picket post of the 1st Vermont Cavalry guarding this station on the Alexandria, Loudoun and Hampshire Railroad. The detachment commander Lt. . . . — Map (db m151) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Herndon — C-25 — Mosby’s Rock
The large boulder, located just south of here, served as an important landmark during the Civil War, when Col. John S. Mosby’s Partisan Rangers (43d Battalion, Virginia Cavalry) assembled there to raid Union outposts, communications, and supply . . . — Map (db m2165) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Herndon — Mosby's Rock
Mosby’s Rangers (43d Bn., Va. Cav.) used this rock as a rendezvous point and met here to divide the spoils after raids. The renowned Southern spy and scout Laura Ratcliffe, who lived nearby, showed this rock to Col. (then Captain) John S. Mosby, . . . — Map (db m9957) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Herndon — The Rail Strike of 1916
In the years before motor vehicles came to dominate transportation, business was never better for the Washington & Old Dominion Railway. Demand for passenger and freight service boomed, while the W&OD's owners balked at spending the money necessary . . . — Map (db m44101) HM

313 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 113
Paid Advertisement