Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Giles County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Eggleston Rd (facing west) image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, April 2, 2011
Eggleston Rd (facing west)
Virginia (Giles County), Eggleston — KB-56 — Eggleston's Springs
On Eggleston Road (Virginia Route 730) at Cliffview Street (Virginia Route 612), on the right when traveling west on Eggleston Road.
Near here Adam Harmon, probably in 1750, established what is believed to be the first settlement in Giles County. Here, in 1755, he found Mary Ingles as she was making her way back to Draper's Meadows after her escape from the Indians. — Map (db m41427) HM
Virginia (Giles County), Glen Lyn — Z-211 — West Virginia / Giles County Virginia / Area 369 Square Miles
On Virginia Avenue (U.S. 460) 0.1 miles south of Ball Avenue (State Road 648), on the right when traveling north.
Marker Front: West Virginia was long a part of Virginia. Morgan Morgan began the settlement of the region in 1727. A great battle with the Indians took place at Point Pleasant in 1774. West Virginia became a separate state of the Union in . . . — Map (db m34767) HM
Virginia (Giles County), Midway — Z-289 — Giles County / West Virginia
On Federal Street (U.S. 219) just south of Giles-Fayette-Kanawa Turnpike (in WV) (Route 24/8), on the right when traveling south.
Giles County. Formed in 1806 from Montgomery, Tazewell and Monroe, and named for William B. Giles, United States Senator and Governor of Virginia, 1827–1830. Mountain Lake is in this county. West Virginia. West Virginia was long a . . . — Map (db m84134) HM
Virginia (Giles County), Narrows — KG-22 — Narrows
On MacArthur Lane (Virginia Route 61) just south of Princeton Lane (Lurich Road) (County Route 649), on the left when traveling south.
Named for the narrows in New River. The place was occupied by Confederate troops under French and Jackson in May, 1864. Combining with McCausland, they forced the Union General Crook to evacuate Blacksburg. Crook passed here on his way to West . . . — Map (db m84143) HM
Virginia (Giles County), Newport — Z-202 — Craig County / Giles County
On Blue Grass Trail (Virginia Route 42) just north of County Route 770, on the right when traveling north.
Craig County. Area 333 square miles. Formed in 1851 from Botetourt, Roanoke, Giles and Monroe. Named for Robert Craig, member of Congress. Craig Healing Springs are in this county. Giles County. Area 369 square miles. . . . — Map (db m84146) HM
Virginia (Giles County), Newport — Z-83 — Giles County / Montgomery County Area 369 Square Miles / Area 401 Square Miles
On Virginia Avenue (U.S. 460) at Forest Service Road (Road 269), in the median on Virginia Avenue.
Marker Front: Formed in 1806 from Montgomery, Tazewell, and Monroe, and named for William B. Giles, United States Senator and Governor of Virginia 1827-30. Mountain Lake is in this county. Marker Reverse: Formed in 1776 from . . . — Map (db m34758) HM
Virginia (Giles County), Pearisburg — KG-20 — First Court of Giles County
On Virginia Avenue (U.S. 460) 2.2 miles west of Thomas Drive, on the right when traveling west.
Giles County was formed from Montgomery, Monroe (now in West Virginia), and Tazewell Counties in 1806. It was named for William Branch Giles, United States senator from Virginia and later governor. North of here, the first court of Giles County was . . . — Map (db m37528) HM
Virginia (Giles County), Pearisburg — KG-21 — Pearisburg
On North Main Street (Business U.S. 460) at Wenonah Avenue (Business U.S. 460), on the right when traveling north on North Main Street.
The town was laid off in 1806 when Giles County was formed, and named for Captain George Pearis, early settler. Established in 1808, it was first incorporated in 1835, and reincorporated in 1914. Here, in May 1862, Union troops under Colonel . . . — Map (db m34811) HM
Virginia (Giles County), Pembroke — KG-14 — Camp John J. Pershing Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1370-2386
On Virginia Avenue (U.S. 460) at Snidow Street, on the right when traveling east on Virginia Avenue.
Near here is the original site of C.C.C. Company 1370-2386, known as Camp John J. Pershing, from 1933 to 1935, when it was moved to Nottoway County. Among the most popular New Deal programs, the Civilian Conservation Corps was designed to encourage . . . — Map (db m34828) HM
Virginia (Giles County), Rich Creek — KG-19 — New River
On Virginia Avenue (U.S. 460), on the right when traveling east.
The New River is estimated to be more than 100 million years old, making it one of the oldest rivers in the world. It is a remnant of the prehistoric Teays River. The first written documentation of the New River was by explorers Thomas Batte . . . — Map (db m84135) HM
Virginia (Giles County), Ripplemead — KG-17 — Snidow's Ferry
On Virginia Avenue (U.S. 460) 0.4 miles west of Big Stony Creek Road (Virginia Road 635), on the right when traveling west.
In this vicinity Christian Snidow, pioneer, established a ferry over the river in 1786, and built a house in 1793. — Map (db m37523) HM
Virginia (Giles County), Staffordsville — Z-258 — Giles County / Pulaski County
On Pulaski Giles Turnpike (Virginia Route 100) 0.3 miles north of Little Creek Road (Virginia Route 601), on the right when traveling north.
(obverse) Giles County Area 369 square miles Formed in 1806 from Montgomery, Tazewell, and Monroe, and named for William B. Giles, United States Senator and Governor of Virginia, 1827-1830. Mountain Lake is in this county. . . . — Map (db m41442) HM
Virginia (Giles County), Staffordsville — KG-15 — Mountain Evangelist
On Eggleston Road (Virginia Route 730) at Redbud Lane, on the right when traveling east on Eggleston Road.
The Reverend Robert Sayers Sheffey (1820-1902), although one of a kind as to style and personality, was a Methodist Circuit Rider in the classic frontier tradition. Celebrated for the intensity of his faith and prayer, as well as for his . . . — Map (db m41428) HM
Virginia (Giles County), Staffordsville — KG-16 — Old-Fashioned Camp Meeting
On Pulaski Giles Turnpike (Virginia Route 100) 0.3 miles south of Big Rock Road (Virginia Route 692), on the right when traveling north.
Adjacent to and named for this stream, Wabash Campground was exemplary of a religious and social institution, indeed of a way of life, which flourished during the 19th century. Hundreds of families would camp for two weeks or more while attending . . . — Map (db m41429) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement