Eight miles northeast stood Mabry's Chapel, the fourth Methodist house of worship built in Virginia. It was constructed in 1780, five years after the congregation first met at John Mabry's dwelling. By 1804, a new larger church was built; it . . . — — Map (db m86051) HM
Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative was chartered March 11, 1938, by a group of Mecklenburg County residents. The first office was located in Boydton, Virginia. The group's stated purpose was: "To advance the position of agriculture, to enrich the life . . . — — Map (db m48290) HM
The Meherrin Indians lived in the coastal plain of Virginia and North Carolina along the Meherrin River. They farmed and hunted and spoke a language, Meherrin, that belonged to the Iroquoian language family. The Meherrin remained relatively . . . — — Map (db m60634) HM
Area 515 Square Miles
Formed in 1753 from Surry, and named for an English county. Cornwallis passed through this county in 1781.
Area 307 Square Miles
Formed in 1780 from Brunswick, and . . . — — Map (db m18926) HM
In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling . . . — — Map (db m20169) HM