Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

James City County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Quadricentennial Plaza-North image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, August 17, 2016
Quadricentennial Plaza-North
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — AlabamaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Montgomery

Although the French settled Alabama, they ceded it to England after the French and Indian War. In 1783, England ceded the northern part to the United States and the southern part to Spain, but by 1795 most of the area was . . . — Map (db m98070) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — AlaskaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Juneau

The Russians were the first to settle Alaska, and maintained control of the region until the mid 19th century, despite Spanish and British claims. In 1867 Russia sold Alaska to the United States and an administrative district . . . — Map (db m97821) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — WT-5 — Argall Town
About 1617, Deputy Governor Samuel Argall established a settlement on 300 acres near here. Situated on land that had been formerly inhabited by the Paspahegh Indians, the group of dispersed buildings was incorporated into the 3,000-acre Governor's . . . — Map (db m66909) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — ArizonaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Phoenix

Spanish Jesuits organized missions in the area after 1700, but Spain did not establish settlements until 1775-76 with the founding of Tucson. When Mexico won its independence from Spain in 1821, the area was controlled by . . . — Map (db m97819) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — ArkansasQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Little Rock

In 1673, Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet visited the Arkansas region. After La Salle claimed it for France in 1682, colonization began. The first settlement was established in 1686 by Henri de Tonti. Although France . . . — Map (db m98074) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — WT-3 — Blockhouses Near Jamestown
In the first few years of the English settlement at Jamestown, colonists built small, isolated, fortified structures—called blockhouses—around the perimeter of the main settlement to provide refuges, observation posts, and rallying . . . — Map (db m66908) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Bowl, Pot, and Pipe
By 1640, Jamestown potters were making thick-walled jugs, bowls, and pots for everyday use. Symmetrical design and an occasional slip-coat of color show that skilled artisans were at work. The local ware fired red, due to the iron-rich Tidewater . . . — Map (db m17401) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — BurialJR1046B
. . . — Map (db m45259) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — CaliforniaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Sacramento

Although explored primarily by Spain, Sir Francis Drake, sailing for England, also touched the California coast in 1579. After the establishment of Spanish missions, California became a territory of Mexico in 1825 following . . . — Map (db m97419) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — ColoradoQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Denver

Although the region was explored first by the Spanish, this possession was controlled by the French. The dispute was settled in 1763 in favor of the French. Few attempts were made to colonize it until the mid-19th century. The . . . — Map (db m97579) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — ConnecticutQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
One of the original colonies Capital-Hartford

Dutch residents from New Amsterdam established a trading post near present-day Hartford in 1633, but it was the English from the Massachusetts Bay Colony who made the initial move to colonize . . . — Map (db m97843) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — DelawareQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
One of the thirteen original colonies. Capital-Dover

Delaware was explored by Henry Hudson for the Dutch in 1609, but was named for Lord De la Warr, an early English governor of Virginia. In 1638 Peter Minuit established the first . . . — Map (db m97831) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Discovery
Specifications: Length Overall:   66’ Beam:   14’ 10” Draft:   6’ 6” Mast Height:   59’ Sail Area:   1,160 square feet Year Built:   2007 20 tons burden John Ratcliffe, Captain 12 passengers and 9 crew, est. The smallest of the . . . — Map (db m40253) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Early Medical Discoveries
Death and disease stalked the colony year-round. Over the first 18 years, six of seven residents of Jamestown perished – over 6,000 deaths. Dr. Lawrence Bohun arrived at Jamestown in June of 1610, and stayed until the spring of 1611. . . . — Map (db m17400) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Excellent Good Timber
Colonists marvelled at the deep, tall forests of Virginia – then set to clearing them away. The “goodly tall Trees” became firewood, fort walls, house frames, boat planks, barrel staves, industrial fuel, and lumber exports. . . . — Map (db m17391) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — WT-1 — First Africans In Jamestown
The first documented Africans in mainland English America arrived at Point Comfort (in present-day Hampton) late in Aug. 1619. Colonial officials traded food for these “20 and odd” Africans, who had been seized from a Portuguese slave . . . — Map (db m97318) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — First Poles1608 1958
. . . — Map (db m98076) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — W-100 — First Poles Arrive
Skilled craftsmen of Polish origin recruited by the Virginia Company began arriving in Jamestown aboard the Mary and Margaret about 1 Oct. 1608. Poles contributed to the development of a glass factory and the production of potash, . . . — Map (db m66905) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — FloridaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capitol-Tallahassee

The first permanent European settlement in America was established by the Spanish in 1565 at St. Augustine. In 1763 following the French and Indian War (in which Spain sided with France), Britain received Florida but returned . . . — Map (db m97413) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — V-61 — French Troops At Jamestown
On 2 Sept. 1781, about 3,000 French troops of the Gatinois, Agenois, and Touraine Regiments arrived at Jamestown from the West Indies. Commanded by the Marquis de Saint-Simon, they camped near here before participating in the siege of Yorktown. On . . . — Map (db m90954) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — GeorgiaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
One of the thirteen original colonies Capital-Atlanta

To stop French claims to the area, Pedro Menendez de Aviles attempted a coastal Spanish settlement in 1565. England claimed the territory in the 17th century, but did not colonize it . . . — Map (db m97841) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Godspeed
Specifications: Length Overall:   88’ Beam:   17’ Draft:   7’ Mast Height:   71’ 6” Sail Area:   2,420 square feet Year Built:   2004 - 2006 40 tons burden Bartholomew Gosnold, Captain 39 passengers and 13 crew, est. Godspeed was the . . . — Map (db m40254) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Harvesting Ice
Among the ruins of New Towne was a seven-foot pit, dug in colonial times. Not deep enough for a well, the hole tapered from 14 feet wide at the rim to 6 feet wide at the sandy bottom. In Britain in the 1600s, perishables were often stored in huts . . . — Map (db m17398) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — HawaiiQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Honolulu

The islands were first settled by Polynesians from other Pacific islands by the 9th century. After James Cook first visited the islands in 1778, they were frequented by traders, but the British made on effort to colonize . . . — Map (db m97822) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Homes to Last
The colonists at Jamestown produced most of their own brick and tile locally at each building site. Bricks were used for houses, wells, and walkways; tiles for floors and roofs. Three kilns have been excavated at Jamestown, each producing bricks of . . . — Map (db m17403) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — IdahoQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Boise

Lewis and Clark blazed a trail through Idaho in 1805, followed by English and American fur traders. Thousands of pioneers followed the Oregon Trail through southeast Idaho in the 1830s and 1840s, although the first settlement was . . . — Map (db m97656) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — IllinoisQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Springfield

The French established settlements at Cahokia in 1699 and at Kaskaskia in 1720, in what was then the province of Louisiana. After the French and Indian War, the region was ceded to the English. During the American . . . — Map (db m97970) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — IndianaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Indianapolis

In the early 18th century, French occupation of the area began with the construction of three forts between 1715 and 1733: Miami, Quiatenon, and Vincennes, the latter becoming a permanent settlement. In 1763 France ceded . . . — Map (db m97966) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — IowaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Des Moines

The area was a part of the Louisiana Purchase of 1803. After the defeat of the Indian chief, Black Hawk in 1832, settlers flocked to the region. Dubuque was permanently founded in 1833. Iowa was included in the boundaries of . . . — Map (db m97416) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Iron for Corn
For the first years at Jamestown, the English needed food from the natives in order to survive. The Powhatans for their part sought the colonists’ commercial goods: iron tools and pots, hatchets and knives, bells and glass beads. Exchanges could be . . . — Map (db m17395) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — James Fort
The English settlers in Virginia soon built a fort in order to protect themselves from raids by the Spanish and local Indians. The fort re-created here was described by an English settler in 1610 as triangular in shape with walls of planks and . . . — Map (db m40261) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Jamestown Island
Jamestown island formed many thousands of years ago from a series of shoals along the James River. When colonists arrived in 1607, an isthmus connected the island to the mainland, and a “paradise” of virgin hardwoods covered the land. . . . — Map (db m17404) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — KansasQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Topeka

Claimed by France in 1682, the area was ceded to Spain in 1763, reverted back to France in 1800, and in 1803 became part of the Louisiana Purchase. In 1817 it became part of the unorganized Indian Territory. A battleground for . . . — Map (db m97454) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — KentuckyQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Frankfort

Following possible visits to the area in the 17th century, particularly by Gabriel Arthur, actual exploration was not made until Thomas Walker went to the region in 1750. He was followed in 1751 by Christopher Gist. In 1767, . . . — Map (db m97960) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — V-62 — Lafayette's Visit
On behalf of a grateful nation, President James Monroe invited the Marquis de Lafayette to visit the United States, his adopted country. Lafayette’s tour of all 24 states in 1824 and 1825 drew large crowds and sparked a renewal of patriotism. On 22 . . . — Map (db m90955) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — LouisianaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Baton Rouge

Following Cabeza de Vaca, this area was further explored by Hernando de Soto in 1541, and claimed for France in 1682 by La Salle, whose attempt at establishing a colony five years later ended in his death. In 1699 Pierre . . . — Map (db m97965) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — MaineQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Augusta

John Cabot probably explored Maine for the English in 1498, and in 1607 a temporary English colony was established on the Kennebec River. In 1622 Sir Ferdinando Gorges and John Mason received a land grant in the area. After a . . . — Map (db m98071) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — MarylandQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
One of the thirteen original colonies Capital-Annapolis

In 1632, King Charles I of England granted land to George Calvert, Lord Baltimore. At Calvert’s death, his son succeeded to the title and organized a colonial expedition. Settlers . . . — Map (db m97858) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — MassachusettsQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
One of the thirteen original colonies Capital-Boston

A group of zealous Puritans known as the Separatists or “Pilgrims” left England and established a colony at Plymouth in New England in 1620. In 1626, a Puritan settlement was . . . — Map (db m97856) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — MichiganQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Lansing Although settled by French missionaries and fur traders, the area came under British control after the French and Indian War. When the United States took charge after the American Revolution, Michigan became part of the Northwest . . . — Map (db m97347) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — MinnesotaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-St. Paul

Daniel Greysolon, Sieur Duluth, let an expedition to the area in 1679. French fur traders worked in the region until France ceded it to England after the French and Indian War in 1763. The eastern portion became part of the . . . — Map (db m97452) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — MississippiQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Jackson

The first permanent settlement in this area was established near present day Biloxi. After the French and Indian War, the territory was ceded by the French to the English, who in turn surrendered it to Spain following the . . . — Map (db m97967) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — MissouriQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Jefferson City

Permanent settlement in the area was not established by France until the 1730s. In 1763 France ceded this region which was part of the Louisiana territory to Spain, who ceded it back in 1800. France sold the region to . . . — Map (db m98072) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — MontanaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Helena

Fur trappers worked in the region as early as the 1740s. Acquired as a portion of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, Lewis and Clark explored the area in 1805. The region offered American fur traders a profitable business and the . . . — Map (db m97610) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — NebraskaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Lincoln

After La Salle claimed much of the region in1682, France controlled the territory for a time and then ceded it to Spain. The area was sold back to France and then to the United States in 1803 as part of the Louisiana Purchase. . . . — Map (db m97578) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — NevadaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Carson City

This area was claimed by Mexico in 1820. In 1825 Jedediah Smith entered the region and in 1845 John Fremont led an expedition there. This area was ceded to the United States in 1848 after the Mexican War and was originally . . . — Map (db m97458) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — New HampshireQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
One of the thirteen original colonies Capital-Concord

While the French were the first to explore this area, it was John Smith’ explorations, maps, and reports of the region in 1614 which led to its eventual settlement. In 1622, John Mason . . . — Map (db m97894) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — New JerseyQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
One of the thirteen original colonies Capital-Trenton

Dutch merchants established trade with the Lenape Indians and set up trading posts at present day Jersey City in 1618 and Fort Nassau in 1624. Swedish settlers came to the area in 1638. . . . — Map (db m97834) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — New MexicoQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Santa Fe

The region was controlled by the Spanish and in 1609-10 Santa Fe was founded and became the colony’s capital. Mexico won its independence in 1821 and controlled the region after that. Most of New Mexico was acquired by the . . . — Map (db m97668) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — New YorkQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
One of the thirteen original colonies Capital-Albany

Following the explorations of Verrazano in New York Bay, French explorer Samuel de Champlain and English explorer Henry Hudson (employed by the Dutch) investigated this area in 1609. By . . . — Map (db m97934) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — North CarolinaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
One of the thirteen original colonies Capital-Raleigh

Queen Elizabeth I of England granted Sir Walter Raleigh the right to establish a colony in 1584. Two settlements at Roanoke Island (1585, 1587) were unsuccessful, the second now known . . . — Map (db m97936) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — North DakotaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Bismarck

This area was sold to the United States in 1803 as part of the Louisiana Purchase. Lewis and Clarke explored the region in 1804-5 and settlement attempts were made around 1812 by Scottish and Irish families. In 1818 the United . . . — Map (db m97581) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — OhioQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Columbus

In the late 17th and early 18th centuries, French and English traders competed and clashed in the region. In 1763, at the end of the French and Indian War, the land was ceded to the English. The United States acquired the area . . . — Map (db m97964) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — OklahomaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Oklahoma City

Though claimed by Robert LaSalle for France in 1682, the region remained inhabited primarily by Indians. In 1803 the United States bought the area in the Louisiana Purchase. First set aside as a new homeland for displaced . . . — Map (db m97666) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — On Roads of Water
Within three days of reaching the New World, the first Jamestown colonists had assembled a small boat to go exploring in the roadless wilderness. Once settled, they gathered raw materials of boat building for export as well as for their own use: . . . — Map (db m17396) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — OregonQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Salem

After England claimed the region, fur trading posts were established in the 1790s. Meriwether Lewis and William Clark explored the region in 1805, and John Jacob Astor founded his fur trading post in 1811. The first American . . . — Map (db m97453) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — PennsylvaniaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
One of the thirteen original colonies Capital-Harrisburg

Although Captain John Smith entered the Susquehanna River in 1608 and Henry Hudson entered Delaware Bay in 1609, the region was not explored extensively until Cornelius Hendricksen . . . — Map (db m97833) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Powhatan Indian Village
At the time of the English arrival in Virginia, the tribes of the Powhatan chiefdom were living in communities of varying sizes. Larger towns contained the residences of chiefs as well as specialized structures such as storehouses and a temple. . . . — Map (db m40257) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Rhode IslandQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
One of the original colonies Capital-Providence

Roger Williams established the first settlement at Providence in 1636 with a group of followers from Massachusetts Bay Colony who sought freedom of worship. Portsmouth and Newport were . . . — Map (db m97943) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Ships
In December 1606, Susan Constant, Godspeed, and Discovery left England with 105 colonists and supplies of food, tools, livestock, and military equipment to start a new colony in Virginia. The English investors who funded the colony . . . — Map (db m40255) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Silk Worn and Silk Spun
England – and Jamestown – imported silk from the Mediterranean and the Orient. In 1619 the Colony Secretary bragged that the cow keeper and the collier’s wife had suits of “fresh flaming silk.” Spinning fibers from the . . . — Map (db m17393) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — South CarolinaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
One of the original colonies Capital-Columbia

The Spanish attempted a settlement in 1526, but it was shortly abandoned. A group of French Huguenots established a colony on Parris Island in Port Royal Sound in 1562 which lasted about a . . . — Map (db m97893) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — South DakotaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Pierre

The Dakotas became a part of the United States as a result of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803. Fur traders moved into the area following the Lewis and Clark expedition in 1804. The state was formed from the 1861 Dakota Territory, . . . — Map (db m97583) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Susan Constant
Specifications: Length Overall:   116’ Beam:   24’ 10” Draft:   11’ 9” Mast Height:   95’ Sail Area:   3,902 square feet Year Built:   1991 120 tons burden Christopher Newport, Captain 54 passengers and 17 crew, est. Susan Constant . . . — Map (db m40252) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — TennesseeQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Nashville

King Charles II of England included this territory in the Carolina grants made in 1663 and 1665. Following French explorations, Englishmen James Needham and Gabriel Arthur explored the region in 1673 and visited Cherokee . . . — Map (db m97962) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — TexasQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Austin

Spain established several missions and controlled the region until 1821 when Mexico gained its independence. At that time, the United States reached agreement with Mexico allowing Americans to colonize the territory, and Stephen . . . — Map (db m97414) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — The “Island House”
To the right, just beyond this narrow marsh, lay the 80-acre “Island House” tract which was “planted and seated” prior to 1619 by Richard Kingsmill, “ancient planter,” burgess, and man of property and affairs. His . . . — Map (db m17363) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — The Golden Weed
King James called smoking “a filthy novelty,” but tobacco proved the salvation of his Virginia colony. Seeds from South America and the West Indies, grown in Virginia’s soil and climate, produced a pleasing leaf. From 1615 to 1619, . . . — Map (db m17394) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — The Greate Road
The Greate Road, also called the Maine Cart Road and the Great Old Road, connected the isthmus of Jamestown with the mainland between the James and Back Rivers. Originally, it was a path established and used by Native Americans. In May 1607, . . . — Map (db m66898) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — The Hardwood Harvest
By the 1600s, hardwood lumber was scarce in England. Early exports of the colony were potash, used in the manufacture of glass, and soap ash, which yields liquid soap. The ashes of hardwood logs were mixed with water, strained, and heated to a . . . — Map (db m17399) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — UtahQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Salt Lake City

Although the Spanish first explored the area, English and American fur traders soon entered the region. Mass migrations of Mormons driven from eastern states began in the 1840s. In 1848 the territory was ceded to the . . . — Map (db m97660) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — VermontQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Montpelier

English colonists from nearby Massachusetts established the first permanent settlement in 1724. Following a dispute over the territory between New Hampshire and New York, King George III granted it to New York. New Hampshire . . . — Map (db m97944) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — VirginiaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
The first permanent English settlement in North America and the first of the thirteen original colonies. Capital-Richmond

A permanent settlement was established by England’s Virginia Company of London in 1607 under its original charter. In . . . — Map (db m97932) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Virginia’s Vintage
The plentiful grape vines in the New World raised hopes of a profitable wine making industry. Native and imported varieties produced a drinkable vintage, but the wine often spoiled during shipment to England. The venture failed. A local market did . . . — Map (db m17402) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Voyage to Virginia
The ships traveled to Virginia using the favorable southerly route across the Atlantic Ocean, taking advantage of trade winds and stopping at numerous islands to resupply. Cramped, unsanitary conditions and unrelenting boredom created tension and . . . — Map (db m40260) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — WashingtonQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Olympia

Washington was explored in the 18th century by Spanish, American and British travelers, specifically Captain George Vancouver in the 1790s. Lewis and Clark opened the area for American activity in their 1805 explorations. In . . . — Map (db m97654) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — Well
This well was in use in the first quarter of the 17th century, dating to the early years of Jamestown. When no longer usable, wells were used as a place to put garbage. This added many unwanted item, mixing with the few items that had been . . . — Map (db m45258) HM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — West VirginiaQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Charleston

The region was a part of the original colony of Virginia, but was settled primarily by Scotch-Irish and German settlers. Conflicts arose between western Virginians and those in the east after the American Revolution, . . . — Map (db m97456) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — WisconsinQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Madison

After France formally claimed the region, fur trading posts were established in the area. As a result of the French and Indian War, French supremacy in Wisconsin ended with the occupation of the region by the British in 1763. . . . — Map (db m97418) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — WyomingQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Cheyenne

Wyoming was home to more than a dozen Indian tribes when the first American traders entered the area. The region was acquired in portions by the United States: the east in the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, the west in the Oregon . . . — Map (db m97657) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown Settlement — John Smith Explores the ChesapeakeCaptain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail
(panel 1) John Smith Explores the Chesapeake Captain John Smith explored the Chesapeake Bay in the early 1600s seeking precious metals and a passage to Asia. He traveled the James, Chickahominy, and York rivers in 1607, and led two . . . — Map (db m97301) HM
Virginia (James City County), Toano — W-33 — Burnt Ordinary
First called John Lewis's Ordinary and then Fox's, Burnt Ordinary received its name in Jan. 1780 when, according to the Virginia Gazette, Fox's Ordinary burned to the ground. Later, in Oct. 1781, when the French army's wagon train passed by, . . . — Map (db m16846) HM
Virginia (James City County), Toano — W-32 — Chickahominy Church
Two miles south is the site of the colonial Chickahominy Church, now destroyed. Lafayette's forces camped there, July 6-8, 1781. The church was used as a hospital after the battle of Green Spring, July 6, 1781. — Map (db m23599) HM
Virginia (James City County), Toano — W-30 — Hickory Neck Church
Hickory Neck Church was built about 1740. Militia opposing the British camped here on April 21, 1781. A few miles north is the foundation of an ancient stone house, dating possibly from about 1650. — Map (db m16848) HM
Virginia (James City County), Toano — W-26 — New Kent Road
By the 1720s, several taverns stood on New Kent Road (also called the Old Stage Road) between Williamsburg and New Kent Court House. During two wars, the road served opposing armies as well as travelers. In June 1781, near the end of the Revolution, . . . — Map (db m23596) HM
Virginia (James City County), Toano — W-31 — State Shipyard
On this road five miles west was the State shipyard on Chickahominy River, burned by the British General Phillips on April 21-22, 1781. — Map (db m16844) HM
Virginia (James City County), Toano — W-27 — White Hall Tavern
This was a station on the Old Stage Road between Williamsburg and Richmond, before 1860. — Map (db m23597) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — A Campsite pre-1607
The human history of Jamestown Island begins much earlier than 1607. The first native inhabitants walked this site 10,000 years ago. At that time, the James River was nearly 100 feet lower, a fast moving stream at the bottom of a narrow ravine. Sea . . . — Map (db m17269) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — A Diverse Jamestown Household 1620-1640
By 1624, William Peirce, a “beloved friend” of governor Francis Wyatt, built a house – “one of the fairest in Virginia” – on this lot. Peirce, captain of the governor’s guard and the colony’s cape merchant, also . . . — Map (db m17356) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — A Famous African-American Dream
The earliest African-American national radio and television minister and advisor of three American presidents, the Elder Lightfoot Solomon Michaux purchased the lands around you in 1936. His dream was to establish a farm and a national memorial to . . . — Map (db m31084) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — A Jamestown Warehouse 1630s-1699
That at last Christmas we had trading here ten ships from London, two from Bristoll, twelve Hollanders, and seven from New-England. A Perfect Description of Virginia, 1649 Jamestown’s waterfront property was prime real estate. Governor . . . — Map (db m17203) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — A Place of Work
This small structure played a part in the industrial activity along the Pitch and Tar Swamp, but the exact use of its three furnaces is unknown. Chemical analysis of the soil ruled out high-temperature industry, such as a forge. Perhaps the best . . . — Map (db m17217) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — A Remarkable Collection 1670-1700
Who discarded refuse into this ditch and why may never be known. The ditch was full or artifacts dating to about 1670-1700, including 10 “HH” wine bottle seals, over 1,000 clay pipe pieces, three window leads dated 1669, and the largest . . . — Map (db m17311) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — A Site of Habitation
Thousands of years ago, when the island was larger and drier, Jamestown was more suitable for permanent habitation. In fact, archaeologists have excavated hearths from the 2,000-year-old campsites. Nearby, they found pottery and evidence of stone . . . — Map (db m89337) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — An Upper-Class Neighborhood 1630s-1699
From the 1630s to the end of the 17th century, this area along Backstreete boasted some of the finest dwellings in Jamestown. Governors, councilmen, burgesses, and lawyers all made this neighborhood home. Richard Kemp, an ardent supporter of . . . — Map (db m17357) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Archers Hope
The great Indian massacre of March 22, 1622, during which a quarter of the population of Virginia was slain came nearest to Jamestown here in a community known as Archer's Hope. At the house of Ensign William Spence five persons were killed-- John . . . — Map (db m31085) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — At Jamestown Began:1607 – 1957
At Jamestown began: the Expansion overseas of the English speaking peoples; the Commonwealth of Virginia; the United States of America; the British Commonwealth of Nations — Map (db m17006) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Attempted Settlement
A small group of Spanish Jesuits attempted a settlement in Virginia in September, 1570. They are said to have entered James river and landed along this creek and crossed the peninsula to establish a mission near York River. Six months later all were . . . — Map (db m30732) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Backstreet – Jamestown’s Main Street 1620-1699
As Jamestown expanded beyond the fort, the Virginia Company sent William Claiborne to survey lots in New Towne. There Ralph Hamor patented an acre and a half lot in 1624. Hamor’s deed made it clear that at least three streets already existed – . . . — Map (db m17115) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Bacon's RebellionGreensprings Greenway — Interpretive Trail
In 1676 the colony became embroiled in the popular uprising known as Bacon's Rebellion. Frontier settlers whose homesteads were attacked by hostile Indians, asked Governor Berkeley's government for protection. Fearful and frustrated by the lack of . . . — Map (db m99078) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Barracks"a homely thing, like a barn" - John Smith
Like this experimental frame structure before you, most buildings found at James Fort were of earthfast or post-in-ground construction. Main structural posts were seated directly in the ground without the use of footings. Once the building . . . — Map (db m100109) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-39 — Battle Of Green Spring
Nearby, late in the afternoon of 6 Julyl 1781, Gen. Charles Cornwallis and cavalry commander Col. Banastre Tarleton with 5,000 British and Hessian troops clashed with 800 American troops commanded by Brig. Gen. “Mad” Anthony Wayne and . . . — Map (db m2440) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Battle of Green SpringJuly 6, 1781
Hear the crack of flintlock muskets and smell the smoke from cannon fire! On this site, on July 6, 1781, 5,000 British troops under General Charles Cornwallis and Colonel Banastre Tarleton clashed with 900 American soldiers led by the Marquis de . . . — Map (db m30651) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Battle of Green Spring Memorial
In memory of the 6 Virginia & 22 Pennsylvania Line Patriots who died in The Battle of Green Spring on July 6, 1781 & are buried near here. By their sacrifices they made possible the establishment of a free United States of America. — Map (db m99079) WM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-43 — Battle of Williamsburg
To the east of the road here, centering at Fort Magruder, was fought the Battle of Williamsburg on May 5, 1862. The Union General McClellan was pursuing General Johnston’s retiring army, the rearguard of which was commanded by General Longstreet. . . . — Map (db m10120) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Captain John Smith
John Smith was born about 1580 the son of a yeoman farmer of modest means. As a young man he traveled throughout Europe and fought as a soldier in the Netherlands and in Hungary. There he was captured, taken to Turkey and sold into slavery in . . . — Map (db m11367) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Captain John Smith
. . . — Map (db m11368) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-50 — Carter's Grove
During the 17th century Carter's Grove was part of the Martin's Hundred Plantation. In the early 1720's, Robert "King" Carter purchased it and later named the tract Carter's Grove. Between 1730 and 1735 Carter Burwell, grandson of Robert "King" . . . — Map (db m9503) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-46 — Church on the Main
Less than one mile to the east is the site of the Church on the Main, a brick Anglican church built by the 1750s to serve James City Parish as replacement for the church on Jamestown Island, which had become difficult for communicants to reach. The . . . — Map (db m2442) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Church On The MainHistory
The Church on the Main, which lies ahead, was built of brick in about 1750, along the main road connecting Jamestown and Williamsburg. It replaced the fifth church at Jamestown and was used by James City Parish, the community in this vicinity. . . . — Map (db m99084) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Church On The MainChurch Plan
This 30 x60' brick church, marked by the remnants of a builder’s trench, was constructed in a simple rectangular plan with doors on the west and the south. Holes marking the location of scaffolding employed during construction flank the perimeter of . . . — Map (db m99085) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Church On The MainSite Plan
This archaeological site consists of the remains of the church, the cemetery, and the surrounding fences. All that remains to indicate the location and size of the church below grade is a small remnant of the foundation builder's trench. The 30' x . . . — Map (db m99086) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — College Creek
On May 12, 1607 the colonists who were the next day to establish Jamestown, landed at the mouth of this creek. Captain Gabriel Archer, one of the councilors, liked the spot and would have settled here but was outvoted. For more than a century the . . . — Map (db m30730) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Colonial Highway
The James River was a lifeline. Ships from England brought tools, seeds, cloth, food, more settlers – and hope. The colonists sent back timber, tobacco, pitch, potash, furs, iron ore – and stories. By 1650, wharves reached out to the . . . — Map (db m17119) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Colonial Parkway
In 1930, Congress established Colonial National Monument (designated Colonial National Historical Park in 1936) to preserve and interpret the beginning and end of the British colonial experience in North America. The park included Jamestown, the . . . — Map (db m89336) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Colonist on Neck of Land
Early in the 17th century, colonists began settling beyond Jamestown Island. In 1619, for example, Reverend Richard Buck received a patent of land here at Neck of Land, between Mill and Powhatan creeks. When Buck and his wife died, their . . . — Map (db m31058) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — WT-4 — Community of Grove
After the Civil War, in the area that later became known as the Community of Grove, the Freedmen’s Bureau confiscated land for displaced newly freed slaves and free blacks. In 1867, the government restored the land to its previous owners. Some . . . — Map (db m66911) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Confederate Earthworks
These earthworks were erected by Confederate troops in 1861 as part of the defense system to block Union penetration of the James River. — Map (db m17052) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Ditch and Mound
Dozens of open ditches crisscrossed Jamestown. A ditch and its mound could mark a property boundary, line the edge of a road, or drain swampy soil. Ditches also served as handy trash dumps. Two major ditches, several feet wide and hundreds of feet . . . — Map (db m17316) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W 40-b — Eastern State Hospital
Eastern State Hospital is the oldest psychiatric hospital in the United States. It was established on 12 Oct. 1773, when Virginia was still a British colony, with the mission of treating and discharging the curable mentally ill. In 1841, under the . . . — Map (db m58354) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Eastern State HospitalWilliamsburg, Virginia — 1768 - 1925
This hospital is the oldest institution of its kind in America. Francis Fauquier was Governor in 1768. In November, 1769, the tenth year of the reign of George the Third an act was passed by the House of Burgesses confirming the establishment of . . . — Map (db m66918) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Efforts of a Virginia Tradesman 1670s
The early English settlers came to Virginia looking for gold, silver, and precious gems, but never found them. Some of the artifacts they left behind, however, are highly valuable to the archaeologists who excavated Jamestown centuries later. . . . — Map (db m17204) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Efforts to Build a Town 1660-1699
The foundations of the multi-dwelling structure that stood here match the dimensions called for in legislation passed by the General Assembly in September 1662. This row rouse was standing by September 1668 when the justices of James City . . . — Map (db m17320) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Fences and Livestock
Jamestown had a large number of four-footed and feathered residents. A chronicler wrote of “two hundred … cattle, as many goats, infinite hogs in herds all over the woods.” The government required fences to keep the free-roaming . . . — Map (db m17200) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — WT-1 — First Africans in English America
The first documented Africans in English America arrived at Jamestown in August 1619. A Dutch man-of-war captured them from the Spanish, who had enslaved them, and sold them to the Virginia colonists. The “twenty and odd” Africans, some . . . — Map (db m97319) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — WT-2 — First Germans at Jamestown
The first Germans to land in Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement in Virginia, arrived aboard the vessel Mary and Margaret about 1 October 1608. These Germans were glassmakers and carpenters. In 1620, German mineral specialists . . . — Map (db m2445) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Foundations at Jamestown
The remains of Jamestown now lie buried beneath the ground. Archeologists have unearthed some of the known town site, but the original foundations of structures would erode quickly if left exposed to wind, weather, and acid rain. The foundations . . . — Map (db m17220) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Gardens and Crops
Tobacco, sassafras – the Jamestown gardener was distracted by quick-money crops for export to Europe. Tobacco was even grown in the streets. In 1624 the General Assembly tried to aid the struggling silk and wine industries by ordering each . . . — Map (db m17317) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Glebe Land
After 1619 these 100 acres of land were set aside for the benefit of the Jamestown parish church and minister. Richard Buck was the first clergyman to have use of it. Later on Francis Bolton became minister at "James Citty" and he, too, had "leave . . . — Map (db m31079) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Governor Harvey’s House 1630s
John Harvey served as a member of a royal commission investigating conditions in Virginia in 1624. As a reward, he received land at the east end of New Towne. There he probably built a residence and a wharf. A temperamental sea captain, Harvey . . . — Map (db m17215) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Governor Yeardley’s Lot 1620’s
George Yeardley arrived in Jamestown in 1610, was appointed captain of the guard, and eventually lieutenant governor. Later knighted and appointed governor of Virginia in 1618, he issued the Great Charter in 1619, establishing the first . . . — Map (db m17027) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-41 — Governor’s Land
Situated near Jamestown, Governor’s Land originally was a 3,000-acre tract encompassing open fields between the James River and Powhatan Creek. The Virginia Company of London set the parcel aside in 1618 to seat tenants who worked the land, giving . . . — Map (db m2438) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Governor's Land
In November 1618, The Virginia Company instructed Governor George Yeardley to set aside 3,000 acres of land “in the best and most convenient place of the territory of Jamestown” to be “the seat and land of the Governor of . . . — Map (db m99077) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-36 — Green Spring
On this road, five miles south, is Green Spring, home of Governor Sir William Berkeley. Bacon the Rebel occupied it in 1676. Cornwallis, after moving from Williamsburg by this road on July 4, 1781, was attacked by Lafayette near Green Spring on July . . . — Map (db m20810) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-42 — Green Spring Road
The 17th century road to Green Spring, home of Governor Sir William Berkeley, was the eastern part of the Great Road, the earliest-developed English thoroughfare in Virginia. The Great Road ran from Jamestown Island toward the falls of the James . . . — Map (db m2441) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — History of Fort Magruder
On May 4th, 1862 Union Division’s of Generals Hooker, Hancock, and “Baldy” Smith encountered units of the Southern Army east of Williamsburg. When the Confederate Army Commander General Joseph E. Johnston became aware of the engagement, . . . — Map (db m15716) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-47 — Hot Water / Centerville
Royal Governor William Berkeley, owner of nearby Green Spring Plantation, purchased the land here by 1652, then known as Hot Water. After Berkeley's death, the Hot Water tract passed to the Ludwell and Lee families. William Ludwell Lee inherited the . . . — Map (db m23614) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — In Memory of Early Settlers
To the glory of God and in grateful memory of those early settlers, the founders of this Nation who died at Jamestown during the first perilous years of the colony. Their bodies lie along the ridge beyond this cross, in the earliest known burial . . . — Map (db m11377) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Inside a Home
All that was left of this home was the foundation of a fireplace and two rows of stains in the soil. The house was built on wood posts sunk directly into the ground. Changes in the color of the soil show where the holes were dug to sink the posts. . . . — Map (db m17358) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Interpreting Jamestown
In 1934, the National Park Service acquired 1,500 acres of Jamestown Island, including New Towne. Since then, the NPS has used different methods to tell visitors about the town. After archaeologists unearthed numerous structures with brick . . . — Map (db m17211) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Iron and Industry
The raw materials for the smelting of iron were all found here: lime from oyster shells, bog ore from the swamp, charcoal from burned trees. A circular kiln, 10 feet across and lined with baked clay, sat over a pit with an air vent to the surface. . . . — Map (db m17218) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Jackson Home 1620s
Jackson the smith was at work in his shop . . . Minutes of the General Court, 1623 Protection was of the utmost importance in the early years of Virginia. Gunsmiths like Jamestown resident, assemblyman, and churchwarden John Jackson, were . . . — Map (db m17212) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Z-266 — James City County / York CountyArea 164 Square Miles / Area 186 Square Miles
Marker Front: One of the original shires formed in 1634, and named for Jamestown, the first settlement in Virginia, 1607. Williamsburg is in this county. Marker Reverse: One of the eight original shires formed in 1634. First . . . — Map (db m73950) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — James Fort Site 1607 – 1624
You are about to enter the site of 1607 James Fort, the heart of the first, permanent English settlement in North America. The sections of log walls stand above archaeological remains of the original palisades. The walls enclosed about one acre, in . . . — Map (db m11470) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — James River
Indians knew this as the Powhatan River, the colonists renamed it in honor of their sovereign, James I. It is one of Virginia's longest and broadest rivers. Rising in the Appalachians it flows eastward, often soil laden, 340 miles to the Chesapeake . . . — Map (db m31087) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-44 — Jamestown
Nearby to the east is Jamestown, the original site of the first permanent English colony in North America. On 14 May 1607, a group of just over 100 men and boys recruited by the Virginia Company of London came ashore and estblished a settlement at . . . — Map (db m2443) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — JamestownNational Historic Site
This part of old “James Towne” has been owned and preserved since 1893 by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. Founded May 13, 1607, “James Towne” was the first permanent English settlement in . . . — Map (db m10262) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Jamestown
Across the swamp lies Jamestown Island. Powhatan Creek below you, takes its name from the Indian Chief. To the right is Glasshouse Point, place of early glassmaking and later a part of the suburb of "James Cittie". — Map (db m30733) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Jamestown Island
The woodland and marsh beyond the water is Jamestown Island, a pear-shape area of some 1,500 acres, being about 2½ miles in length. It is separated from the mainland by Back Creek. In more recent times the wide mouth of this creek, which you . . . — Map (db m31077) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-38 — Jamestown Road
The ancient road that linked Jamestown, the original colonial capital, with Middle Plantation(later Williamsburg) followed a meandering course. It departed from Jamestown Island and then turned northeast, crossing Powhatan and Mill Creeks. As it . . . — Map (db m2446) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Jamestown Tercentenary Monument
East Side of Monument: Virginia Company of London Chartered April 10, 1606 Founded Jamestown and sustained Virginia 1607 – 1624 North Side of Monument: Jamestown The first permanent colony of the English people. The birthplace . . . — Map (db m11467) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Jamestown’s Churches
The First and Second Churches Captain John Smith reported that the first church services were held outdoors “under an awning (which was an old sail)” fastened to three or four trees. Shortly thereafter the colonists built the first . . . — Map (db m17053) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-48 — Littletown
In the second quarter of the 17th-century, merchant George Menefie developed a 1,200-acre plantation just east of here he called Littletown. In March 1633, Dutch trader David DeVies observed that his two-acre garden was "full of Provence roses, . . . — Map (db m9505) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-44 — Magruder’s Defenses
Here is a redoubt in the line of Confederate defenses, built across the James-York Peninsula in 1861-62 by General John B. Magruder. — Map (db m10540) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-51 — Martin's Hundred
This plantation was allocated to the London-based Society of Martin's Hundred by 1618 and was later assigned 21,500 acres. It was initially settled in 1620 around Wolstenholme Town, its administrative center, located near the James River. . . . — Map (db m9495) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-52 — Martin's Hundred Church
The first Martin's Hundred Parish church was probably built at Wolstenholme Town, an early 17th-century settlement that was located a mile southeast of here. None of the structures excavated there have been identified as a church; it may have been . . . — Map (db m9497) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — May-Hartwell Site 1660-1699
Evidence from wills, deeds, land plats, patents, and court cases helps to identify structures excavated by archaeologists. When historians digitalized two 17th-century land plats and superimposed them on a modern map of Jamestown, they matched a . . . — Map (db m17310) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Neck of Landnear "James Citty"
This area, like a peninsula and bounded on three sides by a marsh, is just across Back River from Jamestown Island. In 1625 there were a number of houses and 25 people living here. The settlement had close community ties to “James Citty” . . . — Map (db m31073) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-28 — Olive Branch Christian Church
In 1833 the founders of Olive Branch Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) met for worship at Hill Pleasant Farm. By 1835, the congregation had built a brick church on land donated by Dr. Charles M. Hubbard and Mary Henley. During the Civil War, . . . — Map (db m23598) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Oyster Shells to Mortar
Brick, lime, and pottery kilns operated throughout Jamestown. A small paved pit here, filled with oyster shells and moistened lime, marked a kiln where mortar or plaster was made. Different pits produced varying qualities of mortar and plaster. . . . — Map (db m17314) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Palisades
“our extreme toil in bearing and planting palisades so strained and bruised us, and our continual labor in the extremity of heat had so weakened us” – John Smith These replicated sections of James Fort’s palisades are . . . — Map (db m100110) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Paspahegh
When the English colonists arrived in 1607, they landed in Paspahegh Country, which extended westward along the shore of the James River to the Chickahominy River and beyond. The Native Americans who lived here were Algonquin speakers that fished, . . . — Map (db m90951) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-37 — Peninsula Campaign
During the Peninsula Campaign of 1862, both Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston and Union Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan had their armies west toward Richmond on this road. Johnston evacuated Yorktown on 3-4 May and withdrew up the Peninsula, with . . . — Map (db m10118) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Pitch and Tar Swamp
To the north, Jamestown Island is ringed with slow moving water and a marsh of reeds, cypress, and pine. One of the first industries attempted at Jamestown was the extraction of pitch and tar from the pine trees in this swampy area. Pitch, tar, and . . . — Map (db m17219) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-45 — Pocahontas
Matoaka, nicknamed Pocahontas (“mischievous one”), the daughter of Powhatan, was born about 1597. She served as an emissary for her father and came to Jamestown often in 1608. In 1613, Samuel Argall kidnapped Pocahontas while she visited . . . — Map (db m2448) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Pocahontas
Erected in 1922, this statue by William Ordway Partridge, honors Pocahontas, the favorite daughter of Paramount Chief Wahunsenacawh (better known as Powhatan), ruler of the Powhatan Paramount Chiefdom. Pocahontas was born around 1595, probably at . . . — Map (db m11371) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Powhatan’s HeadquartersCaptain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail
(panel 1) Powhatan's Headquarters At the time Captain John Smith traveled the York River, several Eastern Virginia Algonquian tribes paid tribute to a spiritual and political leader named Powhatan. In return, he provided . . . — Map (db m97289) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-42 — Quarterpath Road
James Bray owned land nearby in Middle Plantation by the 1650s, and Quarterpath Road probably began as a horse path to one of Bray’s quarters or farm units. Over the years, the road was improved; it extended to Col. Lewis Burwell’s landing on the . . . — Map (db m10542) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Real Estate
Early records tell of a land sale in 1636 being these 500 acres with “all howses...gardens, orchards, tenements.” The property passed from Thomas Crompe “of the Neck of Land” to Gershon Buck son of the Reverend Richard Buck . . . — Map (db m31075) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Robert Hunt1606 - 1907
To the glory of God and in memory of the Reverend Robert Hunt, Presbyter. appointed by the Church of England, minister of the colony which established the English Church and English civilization at Jamestown, Virginia in 1607, his people, members of . . . — Map (db m17023) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Row Houses
Several Jamestown families lived in row houses. This row of three houses was occupied at least from 1560 through 1720. Elaborate ironwork found here suggested that the row was handsomely furnished. Perhaps the row was home to the government . . . — Map (db m17114) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-440 — Samuel H. Yonge, Civil Engineer (1843-1935)
Near this location in 1901, Samuel H. Yongee, a civil engineer with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, spearheaded the design and construction of a seawall/revetment that halted the rapid erosion and loss into the James River of the most-historic . . . — Map (db m11445) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Sealing of the Magna Carta
. . . — Map (db m17051) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V 42-a — Sir William Berkeley
Oxford-educated, Sir William Berkeley (1605-1677) was governor of Virginia from 1641 to 1652 and from 1660 to 1677, holding office longer than any other governor of Virginia, colonial or modern. Under his leadership, Virginia changed from a colonial . . . — Map (db m23613) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-34 — Six-Mile Ordinary
Six-Mile Ordinary, a popular 18th-century tavern also known as Allen's for its proprietor Isham Allen, stood six miles from Williamsburg. On 1 July 1774, a group of free holders congregated there and drafted the James City Resolves not to import . . . — Map (db m20805) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-35 — Spencer's Ordinary
On this road, four miles south, the action of Spencer's Ordinary was fought, June 24, 1781, between detachments from Lafayette's and Cornwallis's armies. — Map (db m20807) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Statehouse Foundations
The Virginia General Assembly is the oldest representative legislature in the Western Hemisphere. Meeting for the first time in July 1619, it gathered in the “most convenient place we could finde to sitt in … the Quire of the churche.” . . . — Map (db m17042) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Storehouse & First Well
“We digged a faire Well of fresh water in the Fort of excellent, sweet water which till then was wanting.” - John Smith Here, at the center of the triangular James Fort, archaeologists found remains of a storehouse and the . . . — Map (db m100119) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Swann’s Tavern 1670s
. . . in ye sd Col Swanns Ordinary at James City. Minutes of the General Court, 1677 Although councilman Colonel Thomas Swann resided across the James River at his Swann Point plantation, he also leased a Jamestown tavern that provided . . . — Map (db m17213) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Ambler House
The Amber House was built by the Ambler family in the 1750s as the centerpiece of a fine plantation estate. A refined Georgian-style home, it was comparable to the elegant George Wythe House in Williamsburg. The house was burned in two wars, and . . . — Map (db m17308) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Archaearium
In front of you is the “Archaearium,” an archaeological museum of early Jamestown history. Its exhibits explore both the James Fort excavations and those of the site above which it sits – the Statehouse, the first building built . . . — Map (db m17044) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The English Inns of Court
Presented by The English Inns of Court to commemorate the 400th Anniversary of the founding of the Colony at Jamestown in 1607 April 2007 — Map (db m17049) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The First General Assembly of Virginia
In honour of The First General Assembly of Virginia, here on the thirtieth day of July A.D. 1916. Summoned by Sir George Yeardley, Governor General of Virginia, under authority from the London Company, pursuant to the charter granted by King . . . — Map (db m15727) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Greate Road – An Early Highway pre-1607-1700s
A few days after he arrived at Jamestown in May 1607, George Percy wrote that he and his party “espied a pathway” and were “desirous to knowe whither it would bring us.” Most likely they discovered a trail used by Paspahegh . . . — Map (db m17117) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Hunt Shrine
This shrine is dedicated to the memory of the Reverend Robert Hunt (1568-1608), the first Anglican minister of the colony. — Map (db m17024) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Jamestown Riverfront 1630-1690
Jamestown provided the colonists with a deep-water port in a defensible location. Because shoreline settlements and camps allowed for easier transportation and a ready source of food, the colonists and Virginia Indians both lived on or near major . . . — Map (db m17198) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Site of the First Landing
The site of the first landing is directly ahead of you in the river. During the years since 1607, the river has eroded about 25 acres of this part of Jamestown Island. The original shoreline was close to the present edge of the river channel, . . . — Map (db m11374) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Statehouse
Just below the ground’s surface lie the original foundations of the first purpose-built statehouse at Jamestown. From the very beginning, the efforts at Jamestown were influenced by the laws and legal institutions of England. American . . . — Map (db m17046) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Tombs of James and Sarah Blair
The tombs before you mark the final resting places of The Reverend Dr. James Blair and his wife Sarah. Shortly after Dr. Blair was interred here, the church was abandoned in favor of a new building on the ‘mainland’. The church and the graveyard . . . — Map (db m100108) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — The Tombstones
The marker is made up of two panels Since there is little natural stone in tidewater Virginia, tombstones were rare in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Almost all had to be imported, usually from England. Many of the people buried . . . — Map (db m100102) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — These Foundations1607
These foundations were discovered & identified in 1903 by Samuel H. Yonge, Designer of the sea-wall & author of “The Site of “Olde Jamestowne,” 1607-1698.” ----- • ----- Placed by the Association for the Preservation of . . . — Map (db m17041) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — This land called Tsenacomoco
When the English arrived in 1607, Paramount Chief Powhatan controlled much of Tidewater Virginia. His sphere of influence included over 30 tribes and 160 towns located from the coast to the James River fall line. The colonists built Jamestown in the . . . — Map (db m31057) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Tradesmen on Governor Harvey’s Lot 1630s
Despite the success of tobacco, the crown instructed Virginia’s governors to diversify and encourage trades in the colony. Governor Sir John Harvey supported this endeavor. During the 1630s, he employed a variety of tradesmen on this property . . . — Map (db m17359) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-49 — Trebell's Landing
At Trebell's Landing on the James River a mile southwest of here, the artillery and stores of the American and French Armies were located in September 1781. They were then conveyed overland some six miles to the siege lines at Yorktown. The troops . . . — Map (db m9501) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Water and Well
“ … not at all replenished with springs of fresh water … their wells brackish, ill-scented … and not grateful to the stomach.” If a well at Jamestown was sunk to the right depth, it could yield “sweet water.” Too deep a well . . . — Map (db m17202) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — V-52 — Wowinchapuncke
Wowinchapuncke was the chief of the Paspahegh Indians when the English established Jamestown in the tribe’s territory in 1607. He consistently resisted the English intrusion, earning both respect and hostility from Jamestown leaders. Captured . . . — Map (db m26343) HM

196 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement