Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

King and Queen County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Bruington Church Marker on The Trail (facing south). image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, April 9, 2009
Bruington Church Marker on The Trail (facing south).
Virginia (King and Queen County), Bruington — OB-2 — Bruington Church
This is Bruington Church, organized in 1790. Here Robert Semple, one of the most noted Baptist ministers in Virginia, long served and here he is buried. — Map (db m17794) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), King and Queen Court House — King and Queen County Confederate Monument
. . . — Map (db m25226) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), King and Queen Court House — OB-10 — Newington
A mile south on the Mattapony River is the site of Newington, birthplace of Carter Braxton, (born September 10, 1736), signer of the Declaration of Independence. In earlier times, Colonel Jacob Lumpkin, supporter of Governor Berkeley in Bacon's . . . — Map (db m25260) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Mascot — OB-13 — Lower King and Queen Baptist Church
Elders Robert Ware and John Waller, who founded Lower King and Queen (Wares) Baptist Church on 17 Oct. 1772, were imprisoned in 1771 and 1774 for preaching without the licenses required of ministers dissenting from the Church of England. Ware, . . . — Map (db m34046) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Mascot — OB-14 — Pamunkey Indians Attacked by Nathaniel Bacon
Although the Pamunkey Indians had been allies of the Virginia colonists since 1646, early in 1676 they were driven from their main town on the Pamunkey River by sympathizers of insurrectionist Nathaniel Bacon, and took refuge in Dragon Run Swamp. In . . . — Map (db m47170) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Mattaponi — OB-18 — Colonial Church
This church, the new church of Stratton Major Parish, was built in 1767. Rev. William Robinson, the Bishop of London's commissary, came to the parish in 1744 and was the first minister of the new church. It fell into disuse after the Revolution but . . . — Map (db m25264) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Mattaponi — OB-12 — Corbin's Church The New Church
The New Church, also known as Corbin's Church, stood to the east of this road. Councillor Richard Corbin, who also served as Receiver-General of the colony, donated "Goliath's Old Field" for the church, which was completed in 1768 to replace two . . . — Map (db m25262) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Mattaponi — OB-16 — Laneville
A mile and a half southwest stood Laneville, built by Richard Corbin, receiver general (treasurer) about 1760 on the site of an earlier house. There Patrick Henry sent, May 1775, to obtain money in payment for the colony's powder seized by Lord . . . — Map (db m25263) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Millers Tavern — O-43 — Mount Pleasant
Near here stood the plantation and Thoroughbred stables of Col. John Hoskins (1751-1813), one of the foremost breeders in the country. In 1800 Col. Robert Sanders, of Scott Co., Ky., bought one of Hoskins's horses, Melzar, for ten times the usual . . . — Map (db m25258) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Newtown — OB-9 — Newtown
Newtown began as a pre-Revolutionary tavern crossroads on the intercolonial King's Highway. The settlement prospered in the antebellum period, becoming King and Queen's largest post village and supporting several fine academies and schools. In June . . . — Map (db m25837) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Newtown — OB-8 — Park Church
Park Church was built in 1723 for the newly established Drysdale Parish. It stood on the west side of this road, two and one-half miles above Newtown. The brick church was cruciform in shape with arms approximately 75 feet long. It was known as Park . . . — Map (db m25835) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Saint Stephens Church — OB-11 — Apple Tree Church
About two miles south stood the colonial church known as the Apple Tree Church or St. Clement's Church. First authorized by the House of Burgesses in 1710, it served as the upper church of St. Stephen's Parish until after the Revolution. It was then . . . — Map (db m25261) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Saint Stephens Church — O-20 — Clark Home
About twelve miles east is the site of the original home of the family of George Rogers Clark, conqueror of the Northwest. The family moved from here to Albemarle County. — Map (db m25257) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Saluda — Z-10 — King and Queen County / Gloucester County
(Obverse) King and Queen County Area 320 Square Miles Formed in 1691 from New Kent, and named for King William III and Queen Mary. The family of George Rogers Clark long lived in this county. (Reverse) Gloucester . . . — Map (db m25266) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Saluda — OB-50 — Poropotank Creek
Land was patented on this creek as early as 1640. In 1653, John Lewis settled here. John Lewis, Jr., was living here in 1676 when Bacon's troops were encamped near by. He suffered from the depredations of the rebels. — Map (db m25265) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Saluda — N-58 — The Indentured Servants' Plot
During the summer of 1663, indentured servants (held for several years of service) in the Poropotank River and Purtan Bay region plotted an insurrection against their masters to occur on 13 Sept. 1663. It was prevented when John Berkenhead, servant . . . — Map (db m25254) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Stevensville — OB-3 — Mattapony Church
This is the ancient colonial Mattapony Church, used by the Baptists since 1824. Here are tombs of members of the family of Carter Braxton, signer of the Declaration of Independence. — Map (db m17812) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Stevensville — OB-4 — State Fish Hatchery
Half a mile north. This fish cultural station was established in 1937 for hatching and rearing largemouth bass and other species of sunfish for the stocking of the public waters of Virginia. — Map (db m17817) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Stevensville — OB-6 — Where Dahlgren Died
Colonel Ulric Dahlgren, Federal officer, met death in the early morning, March 2, 1864, three hundred yards to the north. After the raid on Richmond, his force bivouaced here and, in breaking camp he fell to the fire of Confederate detachments and . . . — Map (db m17807) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Walkerton — OB-5 — Hillsboro
This house, four miles south, was built by Colonel Humphrey Hill about 1722. It is of quaint architecture having brick ends and frame front and rear. The place was raided by the British during the Revolution. — Map (db m17821) HM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement