Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Louisa County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Looking West along The Marquis Road image, Touch for more information
By Franklin Bell, February 3, 2008
Looking West along The Marquis Road
Virginia (Louisa County), Boswell’s Tavern — W-206 — The Marquis Road
Lafayette reopened this road in June, 1781, when moving south to intervene between Cornwallis and military stores in Albemarle County. The road has been ever since known as "The Marquis Road." — Map (db m5386) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Boswells Tavern — W-207 — Boswell’s Tavern
At this old tavern Lafayette camped, on June 12, 1781, while moving southward to intervene between Cornwallis and military stores in Albemarle County. — Map (db m37231) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Boswells Tavern — W-215 — Civilian Conservation Corps Company 2347
Here at Burnley's Farm was the site of Camp Monticello, CCC Company 2347, Boswell's Tavern, Virginia. The camp, originally located near Rocky Mount, Virginia, was moved here in the fall of 1939 and remained until it was dismantled 18 September 1942, . . . — Map (db m5567) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Bumpass — W-233 — Jerdone Castle
Much of Jerdone Castle’s original 1,100 acres is submerged under Lake Anna. The house was begun ca. 1742 by Francis Jerdone, a Scottish immigrant. Jerdone’s descendant, Sarah Jerdone Coleman, and her husband, Gen. Clayton Coleman, built the main . . . — Map (db m54209) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Ferncliff — V-20 — Campaign of 1781
Here Lafayette, moving west to protect a supply depot in Albermarle from Cornwallis, entered this road, June 13, 1781. — Map (db m54211) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Gordonsville — F-40 — Campaign of 1781
Lafayette, moving west to protect stores in Albemarle from Tarleton, passed near here, June, 1871. — Map (db m17749) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Gum Spring — V-19 — Providence Church
Half a mile northeast stands Providence Presbyterian Church, built probably in 1749 and little altered since. John Todd, Senior, a founder of Hampden-Sydney College, was pastor for forty years (1753-1798). Hanover Presbytery met there in October . . . — Map (db m9219) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — W-209 — Battle of Trevilians
Here, on June 12, 1864, Sheridan's cavalry, coming from Trevilians, attacked Wade Hampton, who had taken position across the road. A bloody engagement followed. Fitz Lee joined Hampton, and the Union cavalry was driven back. That night Sheridan . . . — Map (db m4835) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Battle of Trevillians
— Fought here June 11, 12, 1864 — Confederate Gens. Wade Hampton, Fitzhugh Lee and Thomas L. Rosser, victors over Federal Gens. P.H. Sheridan and G.A. Custer 5000 Confederates, 8000 Federal Casualties Confederate 612 Federal 1,007 . . . — Map (db m14300) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Bibb's CrossroadsFirst Shots
The Battle of Trevilian Station A 9,300-man Union cavalry force under Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, on a raid to destroy parts of the Virginia Central Railroad, camped a few miles east on June 10, 1864. The next morning, Gen. Wesley Merritt's . . . — Map (db m4841) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Clayton's StoreSheridan's Camp
The Battle of Trevlian Station After riding across Virginia for three days on a raid to destroy parts of the Virginia Central Railroad, Gen. Philip H. Sheridan's 9,300 cavalrymen and horse artillerists crossed the North Anna River at Carpenter's . . . — Map (db m4843) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Custer RescuedAn All-out Assault
The Battle of Trevilian Station By mid-morning on June 11, 1864, Gen. George A. Custer's attack on Confederate Gen. Wade Hampton's wagon train here had gone from success to near disaster as Southern cavalry surrounded Custer's force. A staff . . . — Map (db m4837) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Custer's First Last StandA "Living Triangle" — The Battle of Trevilian Station
Nearby stood Trevilian Station, south of which Confederate Gen. Wade Hampton had parked his wagon train on the evening of June 10, 1864. At daylight the next day, Gen. Matthew C. Butler and Col. Gilbert J. Wright advanced north on the Fredericksburg . . . — Map (db m4839) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Decisive Confederate VictoryThe Largest All-Cavalry Battle of the Western Hemisphere
The Battle of Trevilian Station Confederate Gen. Wade Hampton's victory over Gen. Philip H. Sheridan at Trevilian Station on June 11-12, 1864, prevented Sheridan from joining Gen. David Hunter and destroying the Virginia Central Railroad at . . . — Map (db m4847) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — First Contact“a considerable fight” — The Battle of Trevilian Station
Having reached Louisa Court House on June 10, 1864, Gen. Wade Hampton’s cavalry divisions bivouacked around the Virginia Central Railroad and across Union Gen. Philip H. Sheridan’s route to Gordonsville. About 3 a.m. on June 11, Gen. William C. . . . — Map (db m4844) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — W-208 — Green Springs
Near here Wade Hampton's Confederate cavalry camped the night of June 10, 1864, just before the battle of Trevilians. — Map (db m4834) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — W-212 — Historic Louisa
Here the county seat was established in 1742. The British Cavalryman, Tarleton, stopped here on his raid to Charlottesville, June 3, 1781. Stoneman raided the place and destroyed the railroad, May 2, 1863. Near here Fitz Lee camped, June 10, 1864, . . . — Map (db m24560) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — W-224 — Hugh Hammond Bennett (1881-1960)
Hugh Hammond Bennett, “the father of soil conservation,” joined the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Bureau of Soils in 1903. While conducting a soil survey of Louisa County in 1905, he came to understand the link between soil erosion . . . — Map (db m54210) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — W-222 — John Mercer Langston Birthplace
John Mercer Langston was born 5.5 miles N.W. of here on 14 Dec. 1829, son of plantation owner Ralph Quarles and his former slave Lucy Langston. A graduate of Oberlin College (1849), in 1855 Langston became township clerk of Brownheim, Ohio - the . . . — Map (db m41698) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Louisa Court HouseRaiders Intercepted
The Battle of Trevilian Station You are standing in the historic town of Louisa Court House (now Louisa). During the Civil War, the Virginia Central Railroad passed through this county seat. The main street became the Gordonsville Road (Rte. . . . — Map (db m4830) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Netherland TavernHampton's Headquarters
The Battle of Trevilian Station Fifty yards east is the site of Netherland Tavern (ca. 1822), which was demolished in the 1950s. The tavern served travelers on the Fredericksburg Stage Road and the Louisa Court House Road to the south. It also . . . — Map (db m4840) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Oakland CemeteryConfederates at Rest
Battle of Trevilian Station Here in Oakland Cemetery, beneath small, rectangular stone markers, rest as many as 60 Confederate dead from the Battle of Trevilian Station. Most of them were never identified. Immediately inside the gate are the . . . — Map (db m4845) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Ogg FarmRepulsed with Heavy Losses — The Battle of Trevilian Station
After breaking off the fighting of June 11, 1864, Confederate Gen. Wade Hampton’s cavalry division withdrew to a position near here. Gen. Matthew C. Butler’s South Carolinians spent the next morning preparing a stout defensive position along the . . . — Map (db m24552) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — W-211 — Patrick Henry's Home
At Roundabout Plantation, eight miles southwest, Patrick Henry lived from 1765 to 1768, when he sat for Louisa County in the House of Burgesses. This was the beginning of his political career. — Map (db m4829) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — W-238 — Richardson and Morton Schools
Louisa Training School, the county’s first high school for African American students, was built three miles northwest in 1926 with aid from the Rosenwald Fund. In 1953, Archie Gibbs Richardson High School replaced it here as part of an . . . — Map (db m107854) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — W-210 — Trevilian Station Battle
In June 1864, Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan led a Union cavalry raid against the Virginia Central Railroad here, which Maj. Gen. Wade Hampton and Maj. Gen. Fitzhugh Lee defended during a two-day battle. On 11 June, the first day, Union Brig. Gen. . . . — Map (db m4775) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Mineral — W-216 — Civilian Conservation Corps Company 2359
This is the site of Camp P-82, CCC Company 2359, Mineral Virginia. The camp was established in 1934 and provided work for more than two hundred young men during the depths of the Great Depression. Their responsibilities included clearing forest . . . — Map (db m24277) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Mineral — W-223 — Cuckoo
Cuckoo, long a landmark for travelers, was built for Henry Pendleton about 1819. Nearby once stood the Cuckoo Tavern, from which in 1781 Jack Jouett made his famous ride. The Pendletons, a prominent family of physicians whose descendants still own . . . — Map (db m24562) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Mineral — W-235 — Henry Box Brown
Born into slavery about 1815 at The Hermitage Plantation near here, Henry Brown was working in Richmond by 1830. Brown mailed himself to Philadelphia, and freedom, on 23 Mar. 1849 inside a three-foot-long box. Brown became a spokesperson for the . . . — Map (db m55783) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Mineral — W-213 — Jack Jouett's Ride
From the tavern that stood here, Jack Jouett rode to Charlottesville, by the Old Mountain Road, in time to warn the members of the Virginia government of the coming of Tarleton's British cavalry, June 3, 1781. — Map (db m24565) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Zion Crossroads — W 212-a — Flora Molton1908-1990
Flora Molton sang what she called “spiritual and truth music,” a combination of traditional religious songs and her own compositions. Born here in Louisa County, the daughter of the Reverend and Mrs. William Rollins, she began singing in . . . — Map (db m54212) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Zion Crossroads — Z-24 — Louisa County / Fluvanna County
(West Facing Side):Louisa County Area 516 Square MilesFormed in 1742 from Hanover, and named for the Queen of Denmark, Daughter of King George II. Patrick Henry lived in this county for some years. In it was fought the cavalry Battle of . . . — Map (db m44724) HM

32 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement