Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lunenburg County Virginia Historical Markers

 
S Broad St & Main St (facing south) image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, June 13, 2010
S Broad St & Main St (facing south)
Virginia (Lunenburg County), Kenbridge — SN-45 — Craig's Mill
Two miles south of Kenbridge stood Craig's Mill on Flat Rock Creek. There flour was ground and supplies were stored for the Revolutionary army. Tarleton, the British cavalryman, burned the mill in July, 1781, when raiding through the Southside. Rev. . . . — Map (db m31868) HM
Virginia (Lunenburg County), Kenbridge — Z-45 — Lunenburg County / Nottoway County
(Obverse) Lunenburg County Lunenburg County was formed in 1746 from Brunswick County. Named for King George II, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, a German possession of England's Hanoverian kings, Lunenburg County's territory originally . . . — Map (db m31878) HM
Virginia (Lunenburg County), Kenbridge — St. John’s ChurchStolen Silver — Wilson-Kautz Raid
In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling . . . — Map (db m20172) HM
Virginia (Lunenburg County), Kenbridge — SN-68 — St. John’s Protestant Episcopal Church
Three miles west stood St. John’s Protestant Episcopal Church of Cumberland Parish. Bishop William Meade consecrated the building, later known as St. John’s Woodend, in 1832. The Rev. Charles C. Taliaferro was its first minister. The church’s . . . — Map (db m107697) HM
Virginia (Lunenburg County), Kenbridge — SN-65 — Town of Kenbridge
Kenbridge was settled during the late nineteenth century as a farming community. It was originally named Tinkling for a post office that was established here in Feb. 1890. The Virginia Railway laid its track through the community by 1907 and a . . . — Map (db m31869) HM
Virginia (Lunenburg County), Lunenberg — Court HouseLunenburg County, Virginia
. . . — Map (db m20212) HM
Virginia (Lunenburg County), Lunenburg — Lunenburg County Confederate Monument
In memory of the Confederate Soldiers of Lunenburg County, and the cause for which they fought from 1861 to 1865 (side) The fame and deeds of heroes wil live (rear) We fought for the sovereignty of the . . . — Map (db m20214) HM
Virginia (Lunenburg County), Lunenburg — SN-67 — Lunenburg County Courthouse
William Howard and Dabney Cosby, who had worked for Thomas Jefferson, completed this courthouse in 1827. The second courthouse to occupy this site, it is a temple-form building employing the Doric order and was influenced by Jefferson’s Roman . . . — Map (db m107577) HM
Virginia (Lunenburg County), Meherrin — 22 — St. Matthew's Lutheran Church Christian Day SchoolMeherrin, Virginia — Lunenburg County
In 1880 a German Lutheran minister, the Rev. W. R. Buehler, a well-educated man who had worked for five years as a missionary in Africa, moved with his family to Green Bay, Virginia. He had not been in Green Bay long when the black community, . . . — Map (db m31035) HM
Virginia (Lunenburg County), Victoria — SN-40 — Nathaniel Lee Hawthorne(1923–1975)
Nathaniel Lee Hawthorne, civil rights leader, campaigned for racial and social justice for the people of Southside Virginia. A native of Lunenburg County and a World War II veteran, he conducted his work despite death threats and other attempts . . . — Map (db m107599) HM
Virginia (Lunenburg County), Victoria — SN-66 — The Glebe of Cumberland Parish
To the south stood the Glebe House of Cumberland Parish, residence of Anglican minister Rev. James Craig from 1759 until his death in 1795. An ardent patriot during the Revolutionary War, Craig allowed his mill on Flat Rock Creek to be used as . . . — Map (db m107640) HM
Virginia (Lunenburg County), Victoria — 21 — The People's Community CenterVictoria, Virginia — Lunenburg County
On May 13, 1947, several African-American leaders in Lunenburg County met at First Baptist Church in Victoria to discuss the need for a centrally located building large enough to accommodate countywide gatherings and educational activities for . . . — Map (db m31856) HM
Virginia (Lunenburg County), Victoria — SN-64 — Town of Victoria
The town of Victoria, located halfway between Roanoke and Norfolk, was conceived in 1906 when the Virginian Railway was built to transport coal from Southwest Virginia to Tidewater. Henry H. Rogers, builder of the Virginian Railway, probably named . . . — Map (db m20236) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement