“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Lynchburg Virginia Historical Markers

91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, April 12, 2012
91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry Marker
Virginia, Lynchburg — 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Placed in memory of the brave soldiers of the 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry "Bloody Buckeye Boys in Blue" Who gave their lives during the Battle of Lynchburg June 17-18, 1864 to preserve the Union 1st Lieutenant George B. Stroup • D . . . — Map (db m54375) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-19 — Abram Frederick Biggers and Biggers School
Abram Frederick Biggers (1838 - 1879), a lawyer by profession, was appointed the first superintendent of the Lynchburg and Campbell County schools in 1870. As a part of his effort to build a strong system, Biggers toured northern states to study . . . — Map (db m54467) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-16 — Allen Weir Freeman, M.D.7 Jan. 1881 - 3 July 1954
Born at 416 Main Street, Allen W. Freeman, brother of editor and historian Douglas Southall Freeman, was a pioneer in public health administration and education. He was educated at the University of Richmond and the Johns Hopkins University School . . . — Map (db m54457) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-30 — Amelia Perry Pride’s Dorchester Home
Near this spot stood a small frame house known as Dorchester Home or Old Folks Home for impoverished former slave women. Established in 1897 by Hampton Institute graduate and Lynchburg public school principal Amelia Perry Pride (1857-1932), it . . . — Map (db m89914) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-28 — C.W. Seay(1900-1982)
Clarence William “Dick” Seay, who lived here, was principal of Dunbar High School, Lynchburg’s secondary school for African Americans. A pioneer in the struggle for equal opportunities for blacks, for 30 years Seay shaped Dunbar High . . . — Map (db m74016) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-29 — Camp Davis
Camp Davis, a Civil War mustering ground for Confederate troops from Virginia under the command of Col. Jubal A. Early, once occupied this area. At least 130 Southern soldiers died at the camp's own Pratt Hospital and were buried in . . . — Map (db m89912) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-12 — Carter Glass
Born January 4, 1858, in a house which stood on this site. Newspaper publisher; member of the State Senate and delegate to the State Constitutional Convention of 1901–1902; member of the United States House of Representatives, 1902-1918, and . . . — Map (db m46506) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Cemetery Caretakers
The first official caretaker of the cemetery was hired by the City of Lynchburg in 1866. He was paid $100 a year, and was only responsible for the care of the Confederate section. Over the years the role of the caretaker expanded to include . . . — Map (db m74093) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Chapel and Columbarium
This chapel was modeled after the 1880 Ivy Chapel Union Church in Bedford County. Most of the construction materials and furnishings were salvaged from the demolition of the c. 1870 Hermon Methodist Church at Oakville in Appomattox County. The bell . . . — Map (db m74040) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-23 — Chauncey E. Spencer, Sr.
Chauncey E. Spencer, Sr., aviation pioneer and Civil Rights activist was born in Lynchburg on 5 Nov. 1906, the son of poet Anne Spencer. He moved to Chicago and by 1934 began pursuing his pilot's license. As a charter member of the National Airmen's . . . — Map (db m74010) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — K-146 — Chestnut Hill
Nearby stood Chestnut Hill, the home of Charles Lynch, Sr. He was the father of John Lynch, the founder of Lynchburg, and of Charles Lynch, Jr., a Revolutionary officer. Charles Lynch, Sr., died in 1753 and is believed to be buried at Chestnut Hill. . . . — Map (db m54402) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Civil War in LynchburgPrisoner-of-War Camp
This was the site of a Confederate training camp and Union prisoner-of-war camp during the Civil War. Before Virginia seceded from the Union in April 1861, the population of Lynchburg doubled with the influx of soldiers from other parts of the . . . — Map (db m58361) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Civil War LynchburgSupplying Lee’s Army — Battle of Lynchburg —
Established in 1786, Lynchburg was a thriving commercial center famous for its tobacco and manufacturing industries when Fort Sumter, South Carolina was bombarded in April 1861 and the Civil War began. Lynchburg’s Fair Grounds and Camp Davis . . . — Map (db m3935) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — College Hill Reservoir Water Pitcher
The cast-iron pitcher was made by Glamorgan foundry of Lynchburg and given to the city in October 1890 for use at the College Hill Reservoir. Shortly after installation, the local newspaper praised the pitcher as “a handsome and striking . . . — Map (db m74068) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-18 — Court Street Baptist Church
The congregation was organized in 1843, when Lynchburg’s African American Baptists were separated from First Baptist Church. The new African Baptist Church of Lynchburg met in a converted theater. It was demolished in 1879, after the deaths of . . . — Map (db m46591) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Court Street Baptist Church Tragedy
On October 16, 1876, a tragic “false alarm” panic at the old Court Street Baptist Church resulted in the deaths of eight people attending a wedding reception there. One of these young women, Maria Wilson, age 17, is buried nearby. . . . — Map (db m74055) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Crippled Corps and V.M.I. Cadets Form Inner Defenses in Old City CemeteryBattle of Lynchburg, June 18, 1864
A week before the city of Lynchburg was to be invaded by 18,000 Union troops, the city lay vulnerable, unprotected by Confederate forces. Brigadier General Francis T. Nicholls, a double amputee, who had recovered in a Lynchburg hospital, . . . — Map (db m74052) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-5 — Defense Works
On the crest of the hill just to the south was a redoubt forming part of the defenses thrown up by General D. H. Hill, June, 1864. These works were held by General Imboden's cavalry. A military road was constructed to connect this point with Fort . . . — Map (db m54445) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-7 — Diamond Hill Baptist Church
Diamond Hill Baptist Church was established in 1872, seven years after slavery was abolished. The current church, a Gothic Revival–style building, was completed in 1886. Under the pastorate and leadership of the Rev. Dr. Virgil A. Wood from . . . — Map (db m74006) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q6-17 — Douglas Southall Freeman
Born at 416 Main Street on 16 May 1886, the son of a Confederate veteran, Douglas Southall Freeman moved with his family to Richmond three years later. He graduated from the University of Richmond in 1904 and earned a doctorate from Johns Hopkins . . . — Map (db m54455) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-27 — Dr. Robert Walter Johnson(1899-1971)
The desegregation of tennis was due in large part to the efforts of Dr. R. Walter “Whirlwind” Johnson. The first African American to earn staff privileges at Lynchburg General Hospital, he also worked to overcome barriers keeping young . . . — Map (db m74015) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Dr. Robert Walter Johnson House and Tennis Court
Dr. Robert Walter Johnson House and Tennis Court is registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark by the Virginia Historic Resources Board and placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the . . . — Map (db m74033) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-32 — Dr. Robert Withers Morgan(1844–1904)
Dental innovator Dr. Robert W. Morgan lived here. Troubled by the lack of dental care for soldiers while he served in the Confederate army, he studied dentistry after the war. During the 1880s he formulated dental hygiene products including . . . — Map (db m104398) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Dunbar High School1923–1970 — Motto: Looking Forward Not Backward —
“We love Old Dunbar best of all, the ideals for which she stands: We are her sons and daughters true and we try to bring her fame . . . ” —Alma Mater The successful school and its community are inseparable. The school . . . — Map (db m104426) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Federal Hill
Lynchburg's first residential suburb became part of the city by annexation in 1814 and 1819. Houses within the neighborhood's nine block area represent over a hundred years of architectural styles that include Federal, Greek Revival, Italianate, . . . — Map (db m54416) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-44 — Federal Transient Bureau Fire
The deadliest fire in Lynchburg history occurred here at a Federal Transient Bureau shelter on 24 March 1934. The Bureau, opened by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration as part of the New Deal, housed out-of-work men passing through town . . . — Map (db m136321) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q–6-1 — Fort Early
Named for Confederate Lt. Gen. Jubal A. Early, this roughly square earthen redoubt served as a part of the outer line of defense for Lynchburg in June 1864. Fort Early and the outer fortifications were constructed to provide additional protection . . . — Map (db m3602) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Fort EarlyThe Confederate Center — Battle of Lynchburg —
Following the Confederate defeat at Gettysburg in July 1863, Lynchburg’s citizens became concerned about the lack of defenses around the city. Gen. Francis Nicholls, post commander, prepared a series of earthen redoubts and trenches at strategic . . . — Map (db m41499) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-2 — Fort McCausland
The fort on the hill here was constructed by General J.A. Early to protect the approach to Lynchburg from the west. Union cavalry skirmished with the Confederates along the road immediately west of the fort. The Unionists, driven back by General . . . — Map (db m3600) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Fort McCauslandThe Confederate Right Flank — Battle of Lynchburg —
To your right, Confederates built an earthen redoubt in 1864 to defend the strategic Virginia & Tennessee Railroad trestle over Ivy Creek. The six-gun battery of the Botetourt Artillery manned the redoubt and a position on the other side of Forest . . . — Map (db m3924) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-33 — Georgia Weston Morgan(1869–1951)
Artist and educator Georgia Morgan studied painting at Randolph-Macon Woman’s College and at the Académie Julian in Paris. She was a co-founder of the Lynchburg Civic Art League in 1932 and helped establish the city’s Federal Art Gallery, a . . . — Map (db m104411) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Grave of John Lynch
Founder of Lynchburg, who was the proprietor of lands upon which the city is built and for whom the city is named. A zealous Quaker, benevolent gentleman and promoter of whatever advanced the general good of his community. Born 1740 . . . — Map (db m54418) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Gravemarkers in the Old City CemeteryLynchburg, Virginia
A Project Sponsored by the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities and Public Policy and the Southern Memorial Association Special thanks to the following people, who contributed to the research and design of this exhibit: James Deetz • . . . — Map (db m74094) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Gravestone Carvers in the Old City Cemetery
The dates beneath each carver’s name represent the span of his gravestones in the cemetery. The Fieldstone Carver First Gravestone Carver in Lynchburg 1811-1849 The fieldstone carver is the oldest professional carver of . . . — Map (db m74095) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Hearse House & Caretakers' Museum
This museum tells the story of the care of the cemetery's grounds and gravemarkers over the past 200 years. On display is an elegant horse-drawn hearse used by Lynchburg's W.D. Diuguid Funeral Directors in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. A simple . . . — Map (db m74037) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Hermon Methodist ChurchAppomattox County, Virginia — c.1870-1969 —
Hermon Methodist Church was established in c.1870 in Appomattox County, Virginia. The church was named for the biblical Mount Hermon. It was located east of Route 24 on what is now property of the Appomattox Court House National Historical Park. A . . . — Map (db m74064) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — History of the Stapleton Station
1898 Station built by Chesapeake & Ohio Railway for $366.59, based on C&O “Standard Station No. 2” design. 1929 C&O Railway made the Station a non-agency station (without an agent) and discontinued its telegraph office. . . . — Map (db m74076) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Hull of the Packet Boat Marshall
Famous canal boat of the James River and Kanawha Company, which conveyed the body of Stonewall Jackson from Lynchburg to Lexington, May 13, 1863 — Map (db m54372) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-9 — Inner Defences
Near here ran the line of inner defences located by Gen. D. H. Hill, June, 1864. He had been sent from Petersburg by Gen. Beauregard to assist Gen. Breckinridge then in command. On Gen. Early’s arrival, troops were moved to the outer work. — Map (db m15539) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-3 — Inner Defenses1864
Here ran the Inner line of Lynchburg defenses thrown up by General D. H. Hill in June, 1864. General John C. Breckinridge. Confronting General Hunter in the Shenandoah Valley, made a forced march to forestall Hunter. Hill constructed a shallow line . . . — Map (db m15541) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-8 — Inner Defenses
Here, facing west, ran the inner defenses of the city, located by General D. H. Hill. They were constructed by convalescents and home guards. General Early, after an inspection of the system, moved most of the men to the outer works well to the . . . — Map (db m54452) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-7 — Inner Defenses 1864
A line of shallow entrenchments extended from near this point along the crest of the hill to the east. These works were occupied by the cadets of the Virginia Military Institute, who had marched here with General Breckinridge after the Institute at . . . — Map (db m54450) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Iron Fencing
This cast-iron fence, now surrounding the Earley Memorial Shrub Garden, originally enclosed College Hill Reservoir, located only a few blocks away on Park Ave. It was installed there in 1878 when the city had outgrown the old Clay Street Reservoir. . . . — Map (db m74066) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Ivy Chapel Union ChurchBedford County, Virginia — 1880-c.1950 —
Ivy Chapel Union Church was built in I880 on Coffee Road in Bedford County, Virginia. The chapel was named for nearby Ivy Creek. It was known as a “union church” because it served as a house of worship for Baptist, Methodist, and . . . — Map (db m74065) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-13 — Jacob E. Yoder
Jacob Eschbach Yoder (22 Feb. 1838-15 Apr. 1905), reared a Mennonite in Pennsylvania, came to Lynchburg after the Civil War to teach former slaves in the Freedmen's Bureau's Camp Davis School. Following Reconstruction, Yoder served as supervising . . . — Map (db m74007) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — K-142 — John Daniel’s Home
This Federal-style mansion was built by John Marshall Warwick in 1826. It was the birthplace of John Warwick Daniel, grandson of the builder, whose father was Judge William Daniel, resident of nearby Point of Honor. John W. Daniel was known as the . . . — Map (db m86231) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — John Warwick Daniel
(west face) John Warwick Daniel • Born in Lynchburg, September 5, 1842 • Died in Lynchburg, June 29, 1910 • Foremost and best loved Virginian of his time. (north face) Major in the Army of Northern Virginia, and for twenty-four . . . — Map (db m57288) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Jubal Early Memorial
Memorial to Jubal Anderson Early, Lieutenant General C.S.A., and to the brave Confederate soldiers under him who came to the rescue of Lynchburg when it was threatened by an invasion of Federal forces and erected these earthworks behind which they . . . — Map (db m3601) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Kemper Street StationHistory
The new Kemper Street Station, which opened on October 31, 1912, was one of many improvements made in Lynchburg by Southern Railway to double track its mainline between Atlanta and Washington, D.C. The Rivermont Tunnel, the James River Bridge, and . . . — Map (db m57298) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Latham's Battery
This tablet marks the location of the gun house of Latham's Battery. Organized May 28th, 1860. Left Lynchburg on the 23rd of April, 1861 and was mustered into the service of the C.S.A. on the 25th of April, 1861 with 95 men on roll; was . . . — Map (db m54376) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Life and Death
Life… Hundreds of people buried in this cemetery were employed by the railroad industry. The railroad’s contributions to Lynchburg’s economy were extraordinary, and it was a major employer in the city between 1850 and 1920. Railroads . . . — Map (db m74082) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-36 — Lucile Barrow Turner(1895–1979)
’Cile Turner, a Southside Virginia native who resided near Lynchburg, championed African American folk music during her 50-year career as a composer, folklorist, and performer. A white, affluent, married woman, she transcended social norms as . . . — Map (db m104419) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-37 — Lucille Chaffin Kent(1908–1997)
Lucille Kent, born near here, was among the first Virginia women to earn an instructor’s rating in aeronautics. In 1939 she began teaching meteorology, navigation, and civil air regulations at E. C. Glass High School. During World War II, she . . . — Map (db m104433) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Lucy Mina Otey and the Ladie’s Relief Hospital
The unsung and frequently unappreciated heroes of the Confederacy were the Southern women who worked in hospitals. Mrs. Lucy Mina Otey, age 60 and a recent widow who eventually lost three sons in the Civil War, formed a corps of 500 Lynchburg women, . . . — Map (db m74050) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-21 — Luke Jordan, Blues Pioneer
Singer-guitarist Luke Jordan (1892-1952) was a familiar presence on the streets of Lynchburg from the 1920s until World War II. Jordan and other African American musicians in the Southeast merged blues with an existing repertoire of ballads, . . . — Map (db m54458) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — LynchburgEarly and Hunter
In early May 1864, while Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee confronted the Union Army of the Potomac west of Fredericksburg, Union Gen. U.S. Grant sent Gen. Franz Sigel’s army to destroy Lee’s supplies in the Shenandoah Valley. After the Union defeat at . . . — Map (db m3942) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-11 — Lynchburg
In 1757 John Lynch opened a ferry here; in 1765 a church was built. In 1786 Lynchburg was established by act of Assembly; in 1791 the first tobacco warehouse was built. Lynchburg was incorporated as a town in 1805. In 1840 the James River and . . . — Map (db m46461) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — LynchburgOld Court House
The Old Court House was completed in 1855 and was occupied by the Circuit and Hustings Courts and the Lynchburg city government. During the Civil War, Lynchburg became a center for war munitions, army supplies, troop training and medical facilities . . . — Map (db m54378) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg Civil War HospitalsKnight and Miller Tobacco Factories — Battle of Lynchburg —
These tobacco factories, built in 1845, were typical of the nineteen in Lynchburg converted into hospitals during the Civil War. Surgeon J.K. Page supervised Knight’s and Miller’s as divisions of General Hospital No. 2. The Thirty-two hospitals . . . — Map (db m41500) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-13 — Lynchburg College
Lynchburg College was founded in 1903 as Virginia Christian College by Dr. Josephus Hopwood and a group of Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) clergymen and lay leaders. It is one of the earliest colleges in Virginia to be founded as . . . — Map (db m65389) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg Confederate Soldiers Monument
(front) 1861—1865 Our Confederate Soldiers (rear) Erected by the Daughters of the Confederacy of Lynchburg, Virginia in 1899, to commemorate the heroism of our Confederate Soldiers (side) Kirk . . . — Map (db m54488) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — M-60 — Lynchburg Defenses
The earthwork on the hilltop, two hundred yards to the east, was thrown up as a part of the system of defenses for Lynchburg, 1861-65. The city was an important supply base and railroad center. — Map (db m54444) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg HistoryNinth and Main Streets
The James River originates in the mountains to the west and flows through Lynchburg and Richmond before reaching the Chesapeake Bay. In 1757, the Lynch family built a ferry across the James River ahead of you at the foot of this hill; today, the . . . — Map (db m54490) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg HistoryChurch and Ninth Streets
Monument Terrace, completed in 1925, links Church Street with Court Street via 132 steps and 10 landings. The bronze statue, The Listening Post, created by Charles Keck, commemorates Lynchburg’s World War I dead. Several other memorials have . . . — Map (db m54492) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg HistoryCommerce Street and Horseford Road
Horseford Road is named for the nearby ford that Virginia Indians and early settlers used to cross the James River. During the 19th century, this area was home to tobacco factories, flour mills, and iron foundries. The large red brick building to . . . — Map (db m54493) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg HistoryCourt Street and Monument Terrace
This area became known as Court House Hill when the first courthouse was built here in 1813. The district contains a variety of architectural styles and notable churches, as well as the city’s 1855 Old Court House, now the Lynchburg Museum. There . . . — Map (db m54494) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg HistoryMain and Fifth Streets
Fifth Street was known as Ferry Road early in the 1800s. Pulitzer Prize-winning author Douglas Southall Freeman was born nearby in 1886. By the mid-20th century, thirty African American-owned businesses lined Fifth Street, the center of black life . . . — Map (db m54495) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg HistoryPercival’s Island Natural Area
In front of you is the Percival’s Island Natural Area, a mile-and-a-half-long refuge that is bisected by the RiverWalk Section of the James River Heritage Trail. The 56-acre island reflects centuries of natural and human expansion, development, and . . . — Map (db m74030) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg HistoryMain and Seventh Streets
As Lynchburg grew, Main Street became the commercial center, with bookstores, dry goods stores, furniture shops, clothing stores, cigar stores, barbershops, banks, and hotels. During the Civil War, Lucy Otey founded the Ladies Relief Hospital, which . . . — Map (db m74031) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg, VirginiaA Civil War Hospital Center
Lynchburg was known as “Tobacco Town” before the Civil War, with its 70 thriving tobacco businesses and numerous warehouses. It was also a railroad hub, the terminus of three railroads. Early in the Civil War, many of the warehouses were . . . — Map (db m74049) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg, Virginia, 1864Terminus of Three Major Railroads
This map shows Lynchburg during the Civil War Battle of Lynchburg, June 1864. The “Public Burying Ground,” also known as the Old Methodist Cemetery or Old City Cemetery, was located at the edge of town. By 1860 three major . . . — Map (db m74077) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg’s Confederate Surgeons
Lynchburg’s hospital center was staffed with over 50 military surgeons reporting for duty from all parts of the Confederacy. The War Department appointed Lynchburg physician, William Otway Owen, as Surgeon-in-Charge of Lynchburg’s large medical . . . — Map (db m74051) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg’s First Public Hanging, 1830
Near this spot on the afternoon of August 16, 1830, John M. Jones was hanged in Lynchburg’s first public execution. In May of 1829, Jones, A Lynchburg slaveowner, had killed George Hamilton on the James River waterfront in a dispute over Jones’s . . . — Map (db m74043) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-10 — Miller-Claytor House
This building formerly stood at Eighth and Church streets. It now stands one block north. It was built by John Miller about 1791. Thomas Wiatt bought the house, long known as the “Mansion House.” Samuel Claytor purchased it in 1825. For . . . — Map (db m54459) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — L-21 — Montview
Montview was constructed in 1923 as the home of Senator and former Secretary of the U.S. Treasury, Carter Glass. Glass served in the House of Representatives and Senate from 1902 to 1946 and was known as the “Father of the Federal Reserve . . . — Map (db m55733) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Mr. Elder’s Rose Garden
Lawrence Lloyd Elder (1896-1964) was a valued employee of the City of Lynchburg for over 34 years. His special domain was gardening and his responsibility the greenhouses in Miller Park where the city’s flowers were raised for use in the parks. . . . — Map (db m46507) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-6 — Mustered and Disbanded 1861-1865
At this point the Second Virginia Cavalry was mustered into service, May 10, 1861. At the same place the remnant of this regiment was disbanded, April 10, 1865, completing a service of four years lacking one month. The regiment participated in many . . . — Map (db m54447) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Old City CemeteryLynchburg, Virginia — Civil War Sites —
“With a graveyard on one side, quartermaster’s glanders stable on the other, and smallpox hospital in the middle, one (is) reminded of the mortality of man.” “A Confederate Surgeon’s Story,” Confederate Veteran, 1931, John . . . — Map (db m41502) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-25 — Old City Cemetery
Old City Cemetery, also known as the Methodist Cemetery, was established as a public burial ground in 1806 on land donated by John Lynch, founder of Lynchburg. Mayors and other prominent civic leaders, along with the city's indigent and . . . — Map (db m74011) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Old City Cemetery(Old Methodist Cemetery) — Lynchburg’s Oldest African-American Burial Ground —
This old burying ground, established in 1806, is where most of Lynchburg's African Americans were laid to rest in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. As many as 75% of the estimated 20,000 people buried here are African-American. This . . . — Map (db m74025) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Old City CemeteryAlso known as the Old Methodist Cemetery — The City of Lynchburg, Virginia —
This 1929 map of the boundaries of the Old City Cemetery is the only known record available to locate graves “within the walls” in the older section of the cemetery. Even today no records exist for grave locations throughout the cemetery . . . — Map (db m74027) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Packet Boat MarshallBringing Stonewall Jackson Home
After Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson died on May 10, 1863 as a result of wounds suffered a week earlier at the Battle of Chancellorsville, his body was transported first to Richmond for public mourning and then to Lexington for . . . — Map (db m54371) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-35 — Paul Laurence Dunbar High School
African American community leaders petitioned Lynchburg’s school board for a new high school to serve black students early in the 1920s. Named for poet Paul Laurence Dunbar, the school opened here in 1923. Shop, home economics, . . . — Map (db m104422) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-31 — Pauline Weeden Maloney(1904–1987)
Here lived Pauline Maloney, known as Lynchburg’s “first lady of education.” A graduate of Howard University, she worked in Lynchburg public schools from 1937 to 1970, most notably as a guidance counselor and administrator at the . . . — Map (db m89902) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-22 — Pearl S. Buck
Internationally known author and humanitarian Pearl Sydenstricker Buck (1892-1973) graduated in 1914 from Randolph-Macon Women’s College, where she wrote for the college’s literary magazine. She was the author of more than 70 books, many of which . . . — Map (db m54463) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Percival's Island Overlook"A Legacy Project"
Celebrating the 400th Anniversary of Jamestown & 250th Anniversary of John Lynch's Ferry — Map (db m136520) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Pest House Medical Museum
This 1840’s white frame building was the medical office of Dr. John Jay Terrell. It was moved here in 1987 from Rock Castle Farm in Campbell County and has been restored to recreate medical science in the era of 1860 to 1900. These exhibits . . . — Map (db m74038) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Point of Beginning
In October, 1786, the General Assembly approved that 45 acres of land belonging to John Lynch be laid off in half-acre lots to establish a town by the name of Lynchburg. The original trustees Charles Brooks, Jesse Burton, John Callaway, John Clarke, . . . — Map (db m46483) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Point of HonorSpies in Lynchburg
Col. Robert Owen, president of the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad, owned Point of Honor during the war. This railroad, one of three that served Lynchburg, transported thousands of Confederate troops as well as wounded, supplies, prisoners of war, . . . — Map (db m54373) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — L-23 — Point of Honor
Point of Honor stands half a mile to the northeast. Built for Dr. George Cabell Sr. in 1815, this refined Federal-style house is stylistically linked to dwellings in Richmond such as the Hancock-Wirt-Caskie House. According to local tradition, duels . . . — Map (db m86230) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-26 — Professor Frank Trigg(1850-1933)
Frank Trigg was a leading black educator in Virginia. He was born into slavery in Richmond while his parents were personal servants of Virginia Governor John B. Floyd. After the Civil War he attended Hampton Institute, and began teaching in Abingdon . . . — Map (db m74014) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Professor Frank Trigg(1850-1933)
“Frank Trigg came into this world a slave and was buried a retired college president.” He was born in 1850 at the Governor's Mansion in Richmond, as his parents, Sarah and Frank Sr., served Governor John B. Floyd. At age 13 he lost an . . . — Map (db m74060) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Quaker Meeting HouseThe Battle Begins — Battle of Lynchburg —
From here in June 1864, Confederate cavalrymen watched Gen. David Hunter’s Union army advance toward them on the Lynchburg-Salem Turnpike (Fort Ave). Hunter departed Lexington on June 14 and crossed the Blue Ridge Mountains near Peaks of Otter. . . . — Map (db m3928) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — L-20 — Quaker Meeting House
In the mid-18th century, members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) settled in the Lynchburg area, initially worshiping in one another's houses. According to local tradition, the first meetinghouse was constructed here of logs in 1757 and . . . — Map (db m54403) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-14 — Randolph-Macon Woman's College
Founded by Dr. William Waugh Smith in 1891 and opened in 1893 as a member of the Randolph-Macon System of Educational Institutions, this liberal arts college has been recognized from its opening year for its high standards of scholarship. The scenic . . . — Map (db m54462) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-24 — Safe Haven in Lynchburg: Project Y
In 1951, the National Gallery of Art established a secret emergency repository (Code named Project Y) for its distinguished collection of art on the campus of Randolph-Macon Woman's College. The specially designed reinforced concrete building, . . . — Map (db m54464) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-18 — Samuel D. Rockenbach1869–1952 — Brigadier General, U.S. Army Cavalry —
Nearby at 805 Madison Street is the birthplace of General Rocken­bach, “Father of the U.S. Army Tank Corps.” He began his education in Lynch­burg schools and was honor graduate of Virginia Military Institute in 1889. As first chief of . . . — Map (db m46562) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-34 — Samuel Miller(1792–1869)
Samuel Miller, born in poverty in Albemarle County, became a successful Lynchburg tobacco merchant as a young adult. Investments in land, bonds, banks, and railroads later made him one of antebellum Virginia’s wealthiest men. Though reclusive . . . — Map (db m104436) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — SanduskyHunter's Headquarters — Battle of Lynchburg —
Union Gen. David Hunter’s army reached the outskirts of Lynchburg on June 17, 1864, despite being delayed by engagements with Gen. John McCausland’s Confederate cavalry. That evening, Hunter made his headquarters here at Sandusky, aware that . . . — Map (db m3923) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — L-22 — Sandusky
To the northwest is Sandusky, built by Charles Johnston about 1808. He named it after a place in Ohio where Indians had held him prisoner in 1790. The two-story structure was one of the Lynchburg area's first houses to display the details and . . . — Map (db m54420) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Second Virginia Cavalry, C.S.A.
Here, on the 10th of May, 1861, the Second Virginia Cavalry, C.S.A., was organized. Here, on the 10th of April, 1865, the same command, after years of valiant service with the Army of Northern Virginia, and after cutting its way through the . . . — Map (db m54449) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Silas Green
Silas Green was born into slavery around the year 1845 on a plantation in Franklin County, Virginia. According to local legend, soon after the beginning of the Civil War, Green voluntarily enrolled in the Confederate army. His owner considered him . . . — Map (db m74059) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Sinister Activities
Sinister Activities had been rumored in 1897, but great alarm spread among both Negro and White citizens when it was discovered that the body of a young woman, Ella Jamieson, supposed to be buried in Potter's Field, was instead being shipped to . . . — Map (db m74061) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Site of Dr. Johnson's Tennis Court
During the 1940's through early 1960's Dr. R. Walter Johnson trained aspiring, black, tennis hopefuls on this site. Among these were Althea Gibson & Arthur Ashe. — Map (db m74035) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Site of Glanders Stable
. . . — Map (db m74041) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Site of Lynchburg's Pest House
Site of Lynchburg’s Pest House Constructed circa 1840 Served as Confederate Quarantine Hospital 1861 - 1865 Demolished 1880 — Map (db m74042) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines of the Spanish American War
1898 - 1902 Erected by R.E Craighill Camp No. 11 Dept. of Virginia United Spanish- war Veterans — Map (db m20233) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Spring Hill CemeteryConfederate Generals Rest — Battle of Lynchburg —
During the Battle of Lynchburg on June 17-18, 1864, Confederate Gen. Jubal A. Early moved his reserves into the cemetery to reinforce his lines across the Lynchburg-Salem Turnpike (Fort Ave.) at Fort Early. Before dawn on Sunday, June 19, these . . . — Map (db m3936) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Station House Museum
This Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Station was in use at Stapleton in Amherst County, Virginia, from 1898 until 1937. It is the only remaining C&O “Standard Station” of its size and style. In 1999-2001 the badly-deteriorated Station was . . . — Map (db m74036) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q6-20 — The Anne Spencer House1313 Pierce Street
This was the home of Edward Alexander and Anne Bannister Spencer from 1903 until her death on July 25, 1975. Born on February 6, 1882, in Henry County, Va. Anne Spencer was to receive national and international recognition as a poet. Published . . . — Map (db m74009) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — The Carl Porter Cato Rose Collection
These roses have reached their final resting place! Originally, they were in the rose collection of nationally recognized rosarian Carl Porter Cato (1913-1996) of Lynchburg. Through many years, he had salvaged cuttings or entire plants from . . . — Map (db m74092) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — The Confederate SectionOld City Cemetery
In this area are buried over 2200 Confederate soldiers from fourteen states, most of whom died in Lynchburg’s numerous military hospitals during the Civil War. From the first burial on May 19, 1861, until the last on September 19, 1868, undertaker . . . — Map (db m74054) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — The Old Brick Wall
This historic brick wall is all that remains of the Cemetery's original enclosure, which was built in sections beginning in 1827, and extended almost one mile in length. Most of the wall was demolished by the City of Lynchburg as it . . . — Map (db m74058) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — The Quartermaster’s Glanders Stable
Horses and mules were essential to the operation of the Civil War, and bass numbers of animals were needed. Lynchburg, one of the four quartermaster depots for the Confederacy, was supplying General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. In . . . — Map (db m74062) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-15 — Virginia University of Lynchburg
In 1886 the Virginia Baptist State Convention founded the Lynchburg Baptist Seminary as an institution of “self-reliance,” “racial pride,” and “faith”. It first offered classes in 1890 as the renamed Virginia . . . — Map (db m74005) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — When Lynchburg Was “Lunchburg”
During the First World War, many people across the country knew Lynchhurg as “Lunchburg.” The City earned this nickname because of its famous Red Cross Canteen Service to soldiers traveling by train through Lynchburg. From 1917 to I919, . . . — Map (db m74069) HM

116 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement