Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

New Kent County Virginia Historical Markers

 
James City County Marker (reverse) image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2010
James City County Marker (reverse)
Virginia (New Kent County), Barhamsville — Z-145 — New Kent County / James City County
(Obverse) New Kent County Area 191 Square Miles Formed in 1654 from York, and named for an English county. The White House, where Washington's wife lived, was in this county, and here he married her. (Reverse) James . . . — Map (db m29299) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Lanexa — Chickahominy Water Trail
(left panel) Sustaining Courage for Exploration In December 1607 John Smith set out from Jamestown to continue his exploration of the Chickahominy River, which had begun with a series of trading voyages in November. He visited . . . — Map (db m83910) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Lanexa — W-25 — Cooper's Mill
Half a mile north on Diascund Creek stood Cooper's Mill. On 23-24 June 1781, the British army commanded by Gen. Charles Cornwallis seized supplies there while en route to its camp at Williamsburg and Maj. John G. Simcoe's Rangers burned the bridge . . . — Map (db m16840) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Lanexa — W-24 — Diascund Bridge
As part of British Maj. Gen. William Phillips Apr. 1781 campaign in Virginia by the 21st he sent Lt. Col. Robert Abercrombie's Light Infantry from Barrett's Ferry, where it enters the James River, to destroy the state's naval docks, ships, . . . — Map (db m16837) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Lanexa — W-23 — Fort James
A mile and a half south of here on the Chickahominy River stood Moysonec, an Indian village. Some of the Chickahominy Indians residing there captured Captain John Smith in 1607. In the wake of the 1644 Indian uprising, the colonists sought to . . . — Map (db m26341) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Lanexa — W-74 — Liberty Baptist Church
Liberty Church was organized in 1830 with 25 members led by Elder Thomas S. Morris. In 1845, the Southern Baptist Convention appointed Samuel Cornelius Clopton, son of the second pastor, Elder James Clopton, as its first missionary. The third . . . — Map (db m16843) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Lanexa — New Kent County
Established in 1654 from York and named for County Kent, England. In it are Chestnut Grove, Birthplace of Martha (Dandridge) Custis; White House, home of Martha Custis; Poplar Grove, where Martha Custis met George Washington; St. Peter's church, . . . — Map (db m16830) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Lanexa — W-29 — Tyree's Plantation
After a detachment of the Marquis de Lafayette's army defeated Maj. John G. Simcoe's cavalry at Spencer's Ordinary near Williamsburg on 26 June 1781, Lafayette shadowed the British army encamped at the colonial capital. He made his headquarters just . . . — Map (db m16842) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), New Kent — A Tale of Three Structures
The core of the main house was built on a half-acre lot about 1810. Nearly doubled in size about 1837, the house underwent further alterations between the 1870s and 1901, by which time it was re-oriented to face the road rather than the courthouse . . . — Map (db m29321) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), New Kent — WO-21 — Cumberland Town
Richard Littlepage III established Cumberland Town on the south side of the Pamunkey River in 1748. A busy shipping center, the town offered a tobacco inspection station, warehouses, wharves, and a ferry. The Virginia House of Burgesses briefly . . . — Map (db m107377) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), New Kent — WO-22 — French Cannon at Cumberland Landing
Gilbert Chase, a New England ship captain, recovered a bronze French cannon in the Pamunkey River off Cumberland Town in 1816. Two members of his crew descended in a diving bell patented in 1806, which Chase had acquired the rights to use. The . . . — Map (db m107379) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), New Kent — WO-24 — George Poindexter
George Poindexter (Poingdestre), a member of prominent family on the Isle of Jersey in the English Channel, arrived in Virginia by the 1650s and settled at Middle Plantation, now Williamsburg. He acquired land in at least three . . . — Map (db m107387) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), New Kent — Harold J. NealeRest Area
Virginia’s first State Highway Landscape Engineer - Mr. Neale served in theat position from 1930 to 1957 and was recognized nationally as a pioneer in roadside and rest area development. This facility is dedicated in his honor by a grateful . . . — Map (db m79259) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), New Kent — WO-17 — James Lafayette
James Lafayette was born in slavery about 1748 near here. His master William Armistead was commissary of military supplies when in the summer of 1781 the Marquis de Lafayette recruited James as a spy. Posing as a double agent, forager, and servant . . . — Map (db m17739) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), New Kent — John Parke Custis
(west face) Born at White House, New Kent County in 1755. Died at Eltham, New Kent County, November 1781, where his body remains. This marker placed by the Sons of the Revolution in Virginia 1960 (south face) While acting . . . — Map (db m17746) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), New Kent — WO-18 — Martha Washington's Birthplace
About two miles northeast stood Chestnut Grove, the plantation home of John and Frances Jones Dandridge, where Martha Dandridge, the eldest of eight children, was born on 2 June 1731. She lived there until 15 May 1750, when she married Daniel Parke . . . — Map (db m17740) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), New Kent — WO-23 — McClellan’s Camp at Cumberland Landing
In May 1862, during the Peninsula Campaign, the Union Army of the Potomac under Major General George B. McClellan advanced up the Pamunkey River toward Richmond, while Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston’s army moved to defend the city. . . . — Map (db m107383) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), New Kent — WO-16 — New Kent Courthouse
Lord Cornwallis's army was here, moving eastward, June 22, 1781; Lafayette, in pursuit, June 25; Washington, Rochambeau and Chastellux, on their way to Yorktown, September 14, 1781. A part of Joseph E. Johnston's army, retiring to Richmond, passed . . . — Map (db m17738) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), New Kent — Stuart's RideTunstall’s Station — 1862 Peninsula Campaign
In May 1862, Union Gen. George B. McClellan led the Army of the Potomac up the Peninsula to the gates of Richmond. Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee assumed command of the Army of Northern Virginia in June and began planning a counterattack. On June . . . — Map (db m61877) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), New Kent — The Wilson House: Witness to Three Centuries
Edmund Hockaday built the earliest part of this house about 1810. The house was nearly doubled in size in 1830s, with further additions by 1901 and finally in the 1950s. The house did not remain in one family. It was sold about 1837, again . . . — Map (db m29320) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Providence Forge — W-22 — Chickahominy Indians
One mile south is the home of descendants of the Chickahominy Indians, a powerful tribe at the time of the settlement of Jamestown. Chickahominies were among the Indians who took Captain John Smith prisoner in December 1607. Currently two . . . — Map (db m16836) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Providence Forge — W-19 — Forge Bridge
The site of Forge Bridge over the Chickahominy River is located about a mile south of here. On 14 June 1862, Maj. Gen. J. E. B. Stuart and his cavalry brigade crossed there on their famous ride around Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan's Army of the . . . — Map (db m16832) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Providence Forge — Harold J. NealeRest Area
Virginia’s first State Highway Landscape Engineer, Mr. Neale served in that position from 1930 to 1957 and was recognized nationally as a pioneer in roadside and rest area development. This facility is dedicated in his honor by a grateful . . . — Map (db m99504) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Providence Forge — W-20 — Providence Forge
Here about 1770, Charles Jeffery Smith, a Presbyterian minister, settled and, with William Holt, built a forge for making farm implements. Francis Jerdone became a partner in 1771. A militia camp was established here in 1781, and Lafayette was here . . . — Map (db m16834) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Providence Forge — W-21 — State Game Farm
The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries established the first Virginia State Game Farm nearby in 1920. The state initially raised quail in captivity there to restock the birds throughout Virginia. The game farm was one of the earliest state . . . — Map (db m16835) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Quinton — E-12 — Capt. John Smith Captured
In Dec. 1607, while exploring the headwaters of the nearby Chickahominy River, Capt. John Smith and his party were captured by a hunting party consisting of members of the Paspaheghs, Chickahominies, Youghtanunds, Pamunkeys, Mattaponis, and . . . — Map (db m15678) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Quinton — WO-38 — Green v. County School Board of New Kent County
In the 1968 Green v. County School Board of New Kent County decision, the Supreme Court of the United States abandoned the “all deliberate speed” mandate of Brown II (1955) and demanded immediate integration of schools. . . . — Map (db m17735) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Quinton — Z-163 — Henrico County/New Kent County
(Obverse): Henrico County Area 280 Square Miles An original shire formed in 1634. Named for Henrico Town, founded in 1611, which was named for Henry, Prince of Wales. The battles of Seven Pines, Savage's Station, Glendale, and . . . — Map (db m15677) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Quinton — W-39 — Letitia Christian Tyler
Letitia Christian Tyler, wife of President John Tyler, is buried at Cedar Grove Cemetery a mile northeast. Born on 12 November 1790, a daughter of Robert and Mary Browne Christian, she married John Tyler at her home, Cedar Grove, on 29 March 1813. . . . — Map (db m16849) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Quinton — W-18 — Long Bridge
One mile south is Long Bridge over the Chickahominy River. Benedict Arnold sent Simcoe there in the British invasion of 1781. Longstreet crossed there in the Peninsular Campaign, May, 1862. Grant's Fifth and Second Corps crossed there, in June, . . . — Map (db m16807) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Quinton — W-14 — McClellan's Crossing
Here a part of McClellan's army crossed the Chickahominy on May 23, 1862, advancing on Richmond. It was attacked by the Confederates at Seven Pines. — Map (db m15676) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Quinton — New Kent County
Established in 1654 from York and named for County Kent, England. In it are Chestnut Grove, Birthplace of Martha (Dandridge) Custis; White House, home of Martha Custis; Poplar Grove, where Martha Custis met George Washington; St. Peter's church, . . . — Map (db m15680) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Quinton — W-17 — New Kent Road
This was the main road to Williamsburg in early days. Cornwallis, retiring eastward, used this road in June, 1781. The Confederates, retreating westward, passed over it in May, 1862. — Map (db m15679) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Quinton — W 19-a — Orapax
Powhatan, the paramount chief of many Virginia Algonquian tribes when the English first landed at Jamestown, lived near here at the town of Orapax, having moved from Werowocomoco in 1609 following conflicts with the English. The English boy Henry . . . — Map (db m30860) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Roxbury — Long BridgeCrossing the Chickahominy — Lee vs. Grant – The 1864 Campaign
In a well-coordinated movement, Grant’s army crept away from the grim experience at Cold Harbor and marched rapidly for the Chickahominy River crossings. A Union soldier writing home from Long Bridge on June 13, 1864, was not impressed: . . . — Map (db m16804) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Talleysville — Arnold StansleyFounder of Colonial Downs
October 12th of 1994 Stansley Racing Corp. was awarded the first pari-mutuel license for the state of Virginia. The facility you see is a concept of his son, Brett Lee Stansley, who had the rendering done in a colonial style. Arnold is grateful . . . — Map (db m61899) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Talleysville — WO-13 — St. Peter's Church
Two miles northeast is St. Peter's Church, built in 1703 in English bond. David Mossom, rector there for forty years, was the minister who married George Washington. According to one tradition, the wedding took place at St. Peter's Church. — Map (db m17728) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Talleysville — WO-14 — Stuart's Ride Around McClellan
J.E.B. Stuart, on his famous ride around McClellan's army, June 12-15, 1862, arrived here in the early night of June 13, coming from Hanover Courthouse. He rested here several hours and then pressed on to the Chickahominy River, rejoining Lee's army . . . — Map (db m17729) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Tallysville — Stuart's RideBaltimore Store — 1862 Peninsula Campaign
In May 1862, Union Gen. George B. McClellan led the Army of the Potomac up the Peninsula to the gates of Richmond. Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee assumed command of the Army of Northern Virginia in June and began planning a counterattack. On June . . . — Map (db m61879) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Tallysville — WO-12 — The White House
This place, six miles northeast, was the home of Martha Custis. According to tradition, George Washington first met her at Poplar Grove, near by, in 1758. On January 6, 1759, Washington and Martha Custis were married, it is believed at the White . . . — Map (db m17718) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), West Point — Battle of Eltham’s LandingA vast array of equipment and thousands of troops — 1862 Peninsula Campaign
By May 4, 1862, Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston’s army was retreating west toward Richmond from Yorktown as Union Gen. George B. McClellan’s army followed. McClellan, to accelerate the Federal advance on the Confederate capital and intercept . . . — Map (db m17505) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), West Point — WO-30 — Eltham
Eltham, a mile north, was long the home of the Bassett family and one of the largest and finest colonial houses in Virginia. Burwell Bassett, the owner at the time of the Revolution, was a patriot leader. Washington was a frequent visitor at Eltham . . . — Map (db m21601) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), West Point — New Kent County
Established in 1654 from York and named for County Kent, England. In it are Chestnut Grove, Birthplace of Martha (Dandridge) Custis; White House, home of Martha Custis; Poplar Grove, where Martha Custis met George Washington; St. Peter's church, . . . — Map (db m17606) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), West Point — WO-31 — Peninsular Campaign
A mile north, at Eltham Landing on the Pamunkey River, Franklin's division of McClellan's army disembarked on May 6, 1862. The next morning the Union troops came in contact with the Confederates retiring toward Richmond. The Confederate wagon trains . . . — Map (db m21600) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), West Point — WO-33 — The Brick House
A short distance south stood the Brick House. In 1677, at the end of Bacon's Rebellion, the rebel leaders, Drummond and Lawrence, were at Brick House when West Point surrendered to Berkeley. They fled, Drummond to be caught and executed, Lawrence . . . — Map (db m21602) HM

45 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement