Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Norfolk Virginia Historical Markers

 
Naval Aviation Depot, Norfolk Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kevin W., July 18, 2010
Naval Aviation Depot, Norfolk Marker
Virginia (Norfolk), Naval Station — KV-2 — Naval Aviation Depot, Norfolk
The depot began in 1917 as part of the Naval Air Detachment of six canvas hangers servicing seven seaplanes. Before the depot closed in 1996, its name changed over time from Construction and Repair (1918), Assembly and Repair (1922), Overhaul and . . . — Map (db m28538) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — KV-6 — Susan Constant Shrine
This shrine commemorates the Susan Constant, the flagship of the fleet that carried the first English settlers to Virginia in 1607. The Susan Constant, a 120-ton vessel, was built in 1605 and made one voyage to Spain before the . . . — Map (db m33673) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Virginia and Monitor
Across Hampton Roads from this point the C.S.S. Virginia (Merrimac) and the U.S.S. Monitor fought, March 9, 1862. This was the first combat between iron-clad vessels in the history of the world. After a severe engagement in which each . . . — Map (db m16420) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Air Traffic Control
Weather Weather has an impact on airplanes, so pilots must keep a close eye on the weather. Before a flight they look at weather reports, and during a flight they, communicate with air traffic controllers along their flight path to keep . . . — Map (db m107183) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Armed Forces Memorial
The Armed Forces Memorial is located here on a river that has for more than 200 years carried servicemen off to war and returned them home to loved ones. Within the Memorial are 20 inscriptions from letters written home by U.S. service members who . . . — Map (db m3475) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway
Off this point in the Elizabeth River is the zero mile buoy marking the beginning of the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway. In colonial times water transportation was the principal mode for moving cargo. The idea of a canal connecting the Elizabeth . . . — Map (db m3478) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — KN-3 — Bank Street Baptist Church
The Bank Street Baptist Church was built on this site in 1802 as a Presbyterian church. In 1840 it was purchased by a group of free blacks to serve them as a Baptist church. Because it had one of the first church bells in Norfolk, the building was . . . — Map (db m3323) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Battle, Monitor and Merrimack
On March 9, 1862, the first battle between ironclad ships occurred in Hampton Roads when the U.S.S. Monitor and the C.S.S. Virginia (Merrimack) met in a naval engagement which opened the era of the armored warship. — Map (db m21215) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Battleship Wisconsin: BB-9 and BB-64in the Homeport of Naval History
Battleships bearing the name Wisconsin have graced the waters off Norfolk and Hampton Roads since the beginning of the twentieth century. Ornately designed to show-off the “Stars and Stripes” of the United States, the first . . . — Map (db m35211) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Battleship Wisconsin: Berthed in Norfolkthe Homeport of Naval History
Redefining the skyline of downtown Norfolk, battleship Wisconsin stands stoically with dominating presence. After months of dredging and construction, Wisconsin majestically slipped into the seemingly tailored berth without a hitch on . . . — Map (db m3407) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Battleship Wisconsin: A Floating Fortress
Battleship Wisconsin and the sister-ships of the Iowa Class arguably hold a symbolic status as monuments in naval surface warship design. Unlike torpedo boats, tin-can destroyers, flat-top aircraft carriers, and pig-boat submarines, . . . — Map (db m3378) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Battleship Wisconsin: Quad 40 Mount
A primary antiaircraft weapon used by Allied forces during the violent air and sea battles of World War II was the Mark 2 quadruple mounted 40 millimeter gun mount, or "Quad 40." Each individual Quad 40 gun was capable of firing shells weighting two . . . — Map (db m35155) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — KV-3 — Birthplace of Naval Aviation
On 14 Nov. 1910, off Old Point Comfort across the harbor from here, the U.S. Navy demonstrated that airplanes could be launched from ships. Flying a Curtiss biplane, Eugene Ely took off from a wooden ramp constructed atop the deck of the cruiser USS . . . — Map (db m33242) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Birthplace of Naval Aviation
On Nov. 14, 1910, man proved that planes could fly from ships when a Curtiss Bi-Plan piloted by E. B. Ely took off from the deck of the cruiser U.S.S. Birhingham, at anchor off Old Point Comfort, flew two miles to Willoughby Spit and landed on the . . . — Map (db m33670) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Camp Talbot
Half a mile west is site of Confederate camp. Georgia and Virginia troops defending Norfolk were encamped there from April 1, 1861 until the evacuation of the city May 10, 1862 — Map (db m76779) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Commercial Place
When a survey was done in 1680 to lay out the town of Norfolk, one of the few streets shown was “the street that leadeth to the water side.” The original location was just to the west of this site. It fanned out from Front (now Main) . . . — Map (db m21041) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Confederate Defense Line
Confederate breastworks crossed this road extending from Tanner's Creek on the west to Broad Creek on the east with an intrenched camp to the west. Union soldiers under Major Gen. John E. Wool landed at Ocean View and marched to Norfolk over this . . . — Map (db m87727) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Downtown Waterfront Revitalization
In the 1950s the downtown waterfront contained an assortment of aging facilities-wharves, warehouses, rail lines, ship chandlers, tugboat operations, and ferry docks. The city of Norfolk made a significant decision. An area of downtown along the . . . — Map (db m3480) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Epworth United Methodist Church, 1894
This 1894 Richardsonian Romanesque granite and sandstone church was designed by Norfolk architects James E. R. Carpenter and John V. Peebles. It was built to accommodate the growing congregation of the 1850 Granby Street Methodist Church at the . . . — Map (db m3372) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Father Ryan's Home
On Chapel Street, south of this point, stood the home of Father Abram J. Ryan, beloved poet of the Confederacy. "But their memories e'er shall remain for us and their names, bright names, without stain for us: the glory they won shall not wane for . . . — Map (db m36833) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Ferries to Portsmouth and Berkley
According to tradition, ferry service across the Elizabeth River was first established near this location in 1636 by Captain Adam Thoroughgood and operated by Lower Norfolk County. The earliest ferries were simply skiffs rowed by men. Later larger . . . — Map (db m20363) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church Norfolk Virginia has been registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark pursuant to the authority vested in the Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission act of 1966. This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic . . . — Map (db m3327) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — KV-1 — First Flight Ship to Shore
On 14 November, 1910, Eugene Ely in a Curtiss built "Hudson Flyer," utilizing a specially constructed platform with an uptilt at the end, took off from the cruiser Birminham anchored off Fort Monroe and landed at Willoughby Spit, 2½ . . . — Map (db m33357) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Flagship Sarah Constant
On April 26, 1607, Captain Christopher Newport and the passengers and crew members of the Sarah Constant, the Godspeed, and the Discovery arrived near this spot during a storm. They explored the landscape and eventually settled . . . — Map (db m33674) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Flood Protection for Downtown Norfolk
Tidal flooding from hurricanes and northeasters has always been a part of Norfolk’s relationship with the sea. In 1693, the Royal Society of London reported that “there happened a most violent storm in Virginia, which stopped the course of . . . — Map (db m3374) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Fort Tar
This is the site of Fort Tar, built to guard the approach to the city from the west, sit­u­ated on the out­skirts of Norfolk, near Armistead’s Bridge, which spanned Glebe Creek nearby. It served with Forts Barbour, Norfolk, and Nelson to pro­tect . . . — Map (db m21186) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Fort Wool
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Presented by the Hampton Historical Society — Map (db m85964) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Fort WoolRobert E. Lee
In the summer of 1834, having supervised Fort Monroe's completion, engineer Robert E. Lee took up residence in Fort Calhoun's officer's quarters. Three years earlier, ominous fissures had materialized in the citadel's stone piers and arches. . . . — Map (db m85965) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Four Farthing or Town Point
Here at a cedar tree was the western limit of the fifty acres constituting the original town of Norfolk. The land was bought in 1682 as a port for lower Norfolk County from Nicholas Wise, Jr. for “tenn thousand pounds of tobacco and . . . — Map (db m21183) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Freemason Street Baptist Church
In May 1848 former members of the Cumberland Street Baptist Church organized to become the Freemason Street Baptist Church. A new church building was begun that year and completed and dedicated in May 1850. The Reverend Tiberius Gracchus Jones, a . . . — Map (db m48251) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Governor Tazewell
Here stood the residence of Littleton Waller Tazewell, attorney, Virginia legislator, U.S. Congressman and Senator, and Governor of Virginia. The Williamsburg native came to Norfolk in 1802 to practice commercial and maritime law and was widely . . . — Map (db m35089) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Granby Street
Granby Street was named in 1769 to honor Englishman John Manners (1721 – 1770), Marquess of Granby. The orig­i­nal street ran three blocks from Bute Street south to Town Back Creek, a semi-navigable stretch of marshland run­ning . . . — Map (db m21185) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Half Moone Fort, 1673
Hostilities between the British and the Dutch continued for a number of years after the British took New Amsterdam in 1664 and established the colony of New York. The effects were felt in Hampton Roads where Dutch ships destroyed a fleet of tobacco . . . — Map (db m21212) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — KN-1 — Hospital of St. Vincent dePaul
Founded in 1855, the Hospital of St. Vincent dePaul was Norfolk’s first civilian hospital. Located two blocks south at the corner of Church and Wood strees, the hospital was opened in the home of Ann Plume Behan Herron by eight Daughters of Charity . . . — Map (db m3324) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — How do Planes Fly?
What four forces act upon an airplane? Air flowing over the curved wings of an airplane creates a force called lift. As an airplane moves through the air, a force called drag tries to slow the plane down. The force that pulls . . . — Map (db m107181) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — James W. Hunter House, 1894
James Wilson Hunter (1850-1931) was a prominent Norfolk merchant, banker and civic leader. In 1894 he commissioned Boston architect W.P. Wentworth to design and build this impressive town home for his family on West Freemason Street. The design . . . — Map (db m48252) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — KV5 — Landing of Wool and Surrender of Norfolk
Near here Major-General John E. Wool, on May 10, 1862, Landed with 6000 Union troops. President Lincoln, Salmon P. Chase, Secretary of the Treasury, and Edwin M. Stanton, Secretary of War, watched the movement from a ship in Hampton Roads. As the . . . — Map (db m2629) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Main Street
In his 1680 survey of the site that was to become the Town of Norfolk, Lower Norfolk County surveyor John Ferebee laid out the principal street along a ridge of high land extending from Foure Farthing Pointe (Town Point Park) to Dun-in-the-Mire . . . — Map (db m48245) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Margaret Douglass
"I told the judge to do his duty and put me in prison at once, if he chose, for I would ask no favors at the hands of any man." Margaret Douglass Margaret Douglass, a white woman from Charleston, South Carolina, moved to Norfolk . . . — Map (db m48239) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Marine Observation Tower
The Marine Observation Tower, also known as the Pagoda, was a gift to the Commonwealth of Virginia and the City of Norfolk from the Taiwan Provincial Government, Republic of China, as a result of a Sister State relationship established in 1981. . . . — Map (db m35156) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Monticello Hotel, 1898
The Monticello Hotel, which opened at the corner of City Hall Avenue and Granby Street on September 27, 1898, was the largest and finest hotel in Norfolk for over 60 years. The hotel was built on filled land. By 1885 Town Back Creek had been filled . . . — Map (db m48238) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Moses Myers, House 1792
Moses Myers (1753-1835) was a shipping merchant who came to Norfolk in 1787 from New York. He acquired this site in September 1791 and built his distinguished Federal town house in 1792. It was one of the early brick buildings to be constructed in . . . — Map (db m35092) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Naval Air Station Norfolk
Naval Air Station Norfolk was commissioned August 8, 1918 and is the birthplace of naval aviation. NAS Norfolk initially provided support for operational and experimental flights but quickly grew into a major sea plane base. World War II . . . — Map (db m70898) HM WM
Virginia, Norfolk — Navy Escort Carriers Based in Norfolk
Navy Escort Carriers based in Norfolk helped win the Battle of the Atlantic. They were the smallest, slowest, and most vulnerable of the Navy's aircraft carriers, but as noted World War II historian Samuel Eliot Morison wrote, "These escort carrier . . . — Map (db m21213) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — KV-16 — Navy Mess Attendant School
From 1933 to 1942, Navy recruits of African descent attended this school, located in barracks at Unit “K-West” and later at “B-East.” Advancement opportunities for these sailors and counterparts of Asian-Pacific Island . . . — Map (db m70260) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — K273 — New Town
New Town once stood to the south along the Eastern Branch of the Elizabeth River. The community was laid out in 1697 and General Assembly established it as a town in 1740. New Town served as county seat of Princess Anne County from about 1752 to . . . — Map (db m3326) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Norfolk 1682
Town Point is where Norfolk began. In 1680 the General Assembly of his Majesty's Colony of Virginia enacted a law requiring each county to establish and develop a town site. In lower Norfolk County fifty acres of land at the entrance of the Eastern . . . — Map (db m70920) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — KN-2 — Norfolk Botanical Gardens
These gardens were conceived by City Manager Thomas Thompson during the Great Depression. His idea was executed by city gardener Frederic Heutte; noted landscape architect Charles F. Gillette served as a consultant. In 1938 about 200 black women . . . — Map (db m34949) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Norfolk College for Young Ladies
On this site was the Norfolk College for Young Ladies, which was chartered on February 20, 1880 with Capt. John L. Roper as President of the Board. The school was designed by James H Calrow, one of Norfolk's leading architects at the time. It opened . . . — Map (db m71671) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Norfolk International Airport
How busy is Norfolk International Airport? Norfolk International Airport has grown from a small municipal airport in the 1940's to a major international airport. The present passenger terminal carrier completed in 1974 and the airport began . . . — Map (db m107182) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — KN-4 — Norfolk Light Artillery Blues
Here from 1914 to 1961 stood the third armory of the Norfolk Light Artillery Blues (Battery B, 111th Field Artillery, Virginia National Guard) formed in 1829, as well as the Headquarters Battery, Regimental Band, and the 104th Medical Corps . . . — Map (db m73932) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Northern Limit of Old Norfolk
This marks the Northern limit of the fifty acres constituting the original town of Norfolk. It was bounded on the North by Town Back Creek and Dun-In-The-Mire Creek. The land was purchased as a port for lower Norfolk county for “tenn thousand . . . — Map (db m3367) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Old Academic Building Site
On this site September 21, 1930, the first classes for 206 students were held at the Norfolk division of the College of William and Mary, now Old Dominion University. That year the Norfolk School Board gave the building, constructed in 1912 as the . . . — Map (db m80409) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Old City Hall and Courthouse, 1850
When Norfolk became an independent city in 1845, space was needed to accommodate municipal functions. The Classic Revival building was begun in 1847 and completed in 1850 as Norfolk's city Hall and Courthouse. The architect was William Singleton, a . . . — Map (db m35158) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Old Norfolk Public Library
Norfolk had several libraries for public use during the nineteenth century, among them that of the Norfolk Library Association, organized in 1870. Though designated "public," membership was not free. The fee to use the reading rooms and to check out . . . — Map (db m35159) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — KV-7 — Operation Torch, 1942
The first major amphibious action of World War II was planned near here in the Nansemond Hotel, HDQ. of Amphibious Force U.S. Atlantic fleet. An Army-Navy staff under Adm. H.K. Hewitt met with Gen. G.S. Patton to plan the movement of Task Force . . . — Map (db m21195) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — KV-21 — Pauline Adams(1874-1957)
Pauline Adams, a native of Ireland who immigrated to the United States in her youth, was a woman’s rights activist who advocated a militant approach to the campaign for suffrage. The Equal Suffrage League of Norfolk was formed at her house in Ghent . . . — Map (db m104849) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — St. John’s African Methodist Episcopal Church
St. John’s African Methodist Episcopal Church has been registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark pursuant to the authority vested in the Virginia Historic Landmarks Board Act 1966. This property has been entered in the national Register of . . . — Map (db m3329) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — St. Paul’s Church, 1739
In 1641 a “chapel of ease” was built here where St. Paul’s Church is now. The 1680 survey of the new town designated this site for a church and burying ground. Many of the founders of Norfolk are buried here. When Norfolk became a . . . — Map (db m3371) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Surveying the Land & SeaFrom Sea to Shining Sea
President Thomas Jefferson founded the Survey of the Coast in 1807. This federal agency was charged with supporting maritime commerce by providing accurate surveys and nautical charts of our coastal waters. It was dangerous and sometimes deadly . . . — Map (db m84325) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Taylor-Whittle House, 1791
This Federal style house is one of the oldest remaining buildings on Freemason Street, a fashionable address in the expanding Borough of Norfolk at the turn of the nineteenth century. It stands on property confiscated from the estate of Loyalist . . . — Map (db m48248) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — The Cannonball Trail
Follow the Cannonball Trail through 400 years of Norfolk and American history. The Trail winds along the shoreline of the Elizabeth River and through the districts of downtown Norfolk. Walk the cobbled streets of West Freeman - the earliest . . . — Map (db m106628) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — The Cedar
A cedar tree near this location, then known as Foure Farthing Pointe, was described in the original patent defining the western boundary of the 50 acres that comprised Norfolk Town. In August 1680 John Ferebee, surveyor for Lower Norfolk County, was . . . — Map (db m3409) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — The Customhouse, 1859
Construction of this customhouse began in 1852 and was completed in 1859, replacing an 1819 customhouse located at Water and Church Streets (now Waterside Drive and St. Paul’s Boulevard). This building was designed by Ammi B. Young . . . — Map (db m21184) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — The First Battle of Ironclad Ships, 1862
On March 8, 1862 CSS Virginia steamed past this point (1) to a battle which would forever change naval warfare. This ship had previously been a Union steam frigate, USS Merrimack, which had been destroyed near the Gosport Navy Yard . . . — Map (db m3476) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — The Lone Sailor
Donated by friends of the U.S. Navy Memorial Foundation, Washington, D.C. This statue is an exact replica of the famous Lone Sailor Statue created by sculptor Stanley Bleifeld to grace the United States Navy Memorial in Washington D.C. The Lone . . . — Map (db m34951) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — The Norfolk 17
Four years after the May 1954 U. S. Supreme Court ruling in Brown v. Board of Education that segregation of public school students based on race was unconstitutional, the Commonwealth of Virginia continued to resist compliance. A fierce legal battle . . . — Map (db m53463) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — The Pentagon
About 9:30 a.m., September 11, 2001, a hijacked commercial airliner was deliberately crashed into the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia killing 35 active duty, retired and reserve naval personnel, along with other military personnel and innocent . . . — Map (db m48344) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — The Underground Railroad
After northern states began abolishing slavery during the Revolutionary era, fugitives from throughout southeastern Virginia and northeastern North Carolina started to escape by ship from the Norfolk waterfront. With luck and determination, many . . . — Map (db m5602) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Town Back Creek and Stone Bridge
Town Back Creek, extend­ing east­wardly from the Elizabeth River almost to St. Paul’s Church, was the north­ern end of the orig­i­nal town of Norfolk. By the early 1800’s new res­i­den­tial devel­op­ment had occurred north of the creek. Two early . . . — Map (db m21225) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Tripoli Street
Monticello Avenue, South of Market Street, was formerly Tripoli Street. It was named in honour of Commodore Stephen Decatur's victory over the Barbary Pirates, after he had requested that his own name should not be used. — Map (db m3370) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — U.S. Submarine Veterans W.W. II Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of the submarines, their officers and crews who are still on patrol beneath the sea. May the flame of patriotism that drove these men be kindled in the breasts of all who view this memorial .... — Map (db m33328) WM
Virginia, Norfolk — USS Belknap (CG 26)
On 22 November 1975, the cruiser USS Belknap (CG 26) collided with the aircraft carrier USS John F. Kennedy (CV 67) during night maneuvers in the Ionian Sea. As the carrier's overhanging flight deck sheared off Belknap's superstructure, Kennedy's . . . — Map (db m34950) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — USS Cole (DDG 67)
At 11:18 on the morning of October 12, 2000, while USS Cole was refueling in Aden Harbor, Yemen, terrorist suicide attackers detonated an explosive-laden boat against the ship's port side. The blast tore a hole 40 by 60 feet in the ship's hull, . . . — Map (db m34952) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — USS Cole (DDG 67) Memorial
In lasting tribute to their honor, courage and commitment: Kenneth Eugene Clodfelter, 21 Hull Maintenance Technician Second Class Mechanicsville, VA Richard Costelow, 35 Chief Electronics Technician (Surface Warfare) Morrisville, PA . . . — Map (db m17002) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — USS Cole DDG 67"Determined Warrior"
[Rendering of the guided missile destroyer USS COLE] At 1118 on the morning of October 12, 2000, as USS COLE (DDG 67) was refueling in Aden Harbor, Yemen, suicide bombers detonated an explosive-laden boat directly against the port side of . . . — Map (db m51533) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — USS Forrestal CVA/CV/AVT-59October 1955 -September 1993 — First in Defense -Forever in Dignity
In memory of the 134 men that died on 29 July 1967 during a tragic fire on board the USS Forrestal CVA-59 while conducting combat operations against North Vietnam. An additional 142 shipmates lost their lives while serving on USS Forrestal during . . . — Map (db m34963) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — USS Intrepid (CV-11)
Commissioned: 16 August 1943 Decommissioned: 15 March 1974 The propeller is from the USS Intrepid (CV-11) aka "The Fighting I", an Essex Class Carrier built during World War II. Intrepid was launched on 26 April 1943 across the . . . — Map (db m94329) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — USS Iowa (BB-61)
On the morning of April 19, 1989, USS Iowa (BB-61) was underway north of Puerto Rico conducting routine training exercises when the #2 16" gun turret exploded, killing 47 men working within its steel-encased bulkheads. "They were just men with . . . — Map (db m48345) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — USS Kearsarge (CV-33)
USS Kearsarge, scheduled to depart for the Mediterranean Sea on June 1, 1948, was anchored off Naval Station, Norfolk in anticipation of an early morning departure. Sailors and Marines returning to the ship the night of May 31 encountered heavy . . . — Map (db m65543) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — USS Liberty AGTR-5
"On June 8, 1967, during the Six Day War between Israel and the Arab States, the American Intelligence ship USS Liberty was attacked for 75 minutes by Israeli aircraft and motor torpedo boats. Liberty was left with over 820 rocket and cannon holes, . . . — Map (db m34962) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — USS Newport News CA-148
At 0100 hours on October 1, 1972, the USS Newport News was firing a support mission off the coast of South Vietnam. An 8 inch projectile jammed in the center gun of Turret Two. The subsequent implosion and fire killed 20 crewmembers and injured 36 . . . — Map (db m48342) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — USS Nimitz (CVN-68)Teamwork - A Tradition
On the night of May 25, 1981, while operating off the Florida coast, a twin engine EA-6B jet aircraft crashed into the flight deck of USS Nimitz CVN-68, killing 14 crewmembers and injuring 45 others. Nimitz pulled into port, had its catapults . . . — Map (db m48518) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — USS Norfolk Bell
The first Naval vessel to bear the name Norfolk was a brigantine built in 1798 to protect American commerce against armed French vessels in the West Indies. The second USS Norfolk, Destroyer Leader I, was a submarine "hunter-killer" ship and . . . — Map (db m35153) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — USS Scorpion (SSN-589)
USS Scorpion, a Skipjack class nuclear-powered attack submarine homeported in Norfolk, Virginia began a Mediterranean deployment in February 1968. The following May 22nd, while homeward bound from that deployment, she was lost with her entire crew . . . — Map (db m34958) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — We remember turret two ...April 19, 1989 — USS Iowa
FC3 T. T. Adams • GM3 R. W. Backherms • EMFA D. C. Battle • GM3(SW) W. S. Blakey • GM3 P. E. Bopp • SR R. J. Bradshaw • LTjg P. E. Buch • SA E. E. Casey • GM2 J. P. Cramer • GM3 M. F. Devaul, Jr. • SA L. Allen Everhart, Jr. . . . — Map (db m33263) WM
Virginia, Norfolk — West Freemason Street Historic District
In 1686 one hundred acres of land in this vicinity were granted to the Elizabeth River Parish for a glebe. It was sold by the vestry in 1734 to a merchant named Samuel Smith. This was one of the first areas of Norfolk to be developed outside the . . . — Map (db m35160) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — West Point MonumentNorfolk's Civil War African American Heritage
The memorial before you, the West Point Monument, was built in 1909 as a tribute to African American veterans of the Civil War and Spanish-American War. James A. Fuller, a former slave and veteran of the 1st U.S. Colored Cavalry, led the effort to . . . — Map (db m84001) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — West Point Monument at Elmwood CemeteryIn the Memory of Our Heroes, 1861 - 1865
Erected by the Norfolk Memorial Association in the memory of our heroes, 1861 - 1865 — Map (db m72224) WM
Virginia, Norfolk — Whitehead House, 1791
Patrick Parker, a wealthy merchant, built a Georgian style home here in 1791. Later occupants of the house included Hugh Blair Grigsby and John Boswell Whitehead, sons of Elizabeth McPherson. Elizabeth's first husband was the Reverend Benjamin . . . — Map (db m35094) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Willoughby-Baylor House, 1794
This site was in the original Crown grant of 200 acres to Colonel Thomas Willoughby in 1636. Located on Freemason Street, so called because the Norfolk Royal Exchange Lodge of Masons erected the "Mason's Hall" on this site in 1764 as America's first . . . — Map (db m64974) HM

91 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement