Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Pittsylvania County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Beavers Tavern Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, June 8, 2017
Beavers Tavern Marker
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Blairs — L-61 — Beavers Tavern
The house to the east was Beavers Tavern, 1800–1840. This was the muster ground of the county militia and a popular stage station. John C. Calhoun Was a frequent visitor here. — Map (db m104464) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Callahans Hills — U-40 — Berry Hill
Berry Hill is situated 5¼ miles to the south on the Dan River. The original portion of the main house was built in 1745 and there have been several additions. The property was used as a hospital for General Nathanael Greene's army during the spring . . . — Map (db m66054) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Callands — LT-1 — Callands
Pittsylvania was cut off from Halifax in 1767 and the courthouse was built here. In 1769 a town named Chatham was established here on lands of James Roberts. A few years later Samuel Calland opened a store and the town took his name. In 1777 Henry . . . — Map (db m64657) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Callands — Callands War Memorial
World War II Korea Vietnam This memorial is dedicated to those who have given the supreme sacrifice to their country and to honor all those from the Callands community who served their country. "If ye break faith, . . . — Map (db m66093) WM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Callands — Q 12-a — Clerk's Office
Site of first County Seat of Pittsylvania County. The building that served as the debtor's prison,1767-1771, and later as the clerk's office, 1771-1777, remains. Nearby stands the debtor's gaol, built in 1773. It later served as Samuel Calland's . . . — Map (db m66055) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Chatham — Bilhartz, Hall & Co.Gunmaker for the Confederacy
When the Civil War erupted, the South seriously lacked sufficient quantity of modern weaponry. The Confederate government attempted to correct this deficiency by purchasing arms overseas. While this "cotton for cannon" trade resulted in the . . . — Map (db m64213) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Chatham — L-49 — Claude A. Swanson
A native of Pittsylvania County, Claude Augustus Swanson (1862-1939), practiced law in Chatham until he won election to Congress in 1892. He served seven terms in the House of Representatives (1893-1906); was governor of Virginia (1906-1910) and . . . — Map (db m55732) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Chatham — L-51 — Hargrave Military Academy
One of the few private military academies in Virginia, Hargrave Military Academy was founded in 1909 by John Hunt Hargrave and the Rev. T. Ryland Sanford as Chatham Training School. It was chartered in 1911 and became affiliated with the Baptist . . . — Map (db m64212) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Chatham — RG-5 — John Weatherford's Grave
One half mile west is the grave of Elder John Weatherford (1740?-1833) Baptist preacher for 70 years and early advocate of religious liberty. Jailed five months in Chesterfield in 1773 for unlicensed preaching, his release was secured by Patrick . . . — Map (db m66058) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Chatham — L--52 — Markham
Some miles northeast is the site of Markham, where was born Rachel Donelson, wife of President Andrew Jackson, 1767. Her father, John Donelson, leaving Virginia, became one of the first settlers of Tennessee. Fort Donelson was named for him. — Map (db m20775) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Chatham — L--50 — Peytonsburg
Nearby to the east once stood the community of Peytonsburg a part of Halifax County when the county was formed in 1752. Peytonsburg was incorporated as a town in 1759 by the Virginia General Assembly and became part of Pittsylvania County in . . . — Map (db m20774) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Chatham — Pittsylvania County Confederate Monument
1861 Virginia 1865 Confederate Dead We crown the heroes of the past with the laurel wreath of memory Go tell the listening worlds afar of those who died for truth and right In memory of Co. "I" 53rd VA. Regiment . . . — Map (db m66094) WM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Chatham — KG-23 — Pittsylvania Court House
This Greek revival building was erected in 1853 as the third court house of Pittsylvania County. The county, formed in 1767, and the town of Chatham were named for William Pitt, First Earl of Chatham. The present court house replaced a structure . . . — Map (db m64656) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Chatham — L-62 — Rawley White Martin Residence
Here stands Morea, the home of Lt. Col. Rawley W. Martin (1835-1912), a physician who served with Pittsylvania County soldiers during the Civil War in the 53d Virginia Infantry Regiment of Brig. Gen. Lewis A. Armistead's brigade. At Gettysburg, Pa., . . . — Map (db m66057) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Dry Fork — L-55 — Bright-Leaf Tobacco Barns
By the latter decades of the 19th century, bright-leaf tobacco harvested across Southside Virginia was typically cured in hand-hewn log barns outfitted with wood-burning stoves. Inside these barns, tobacco leaves were hung from sticks that rested . . . — Map (db m104462) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Gretna — L-47 — Hickey's Road
Hickey’s Road, first laid off by court order in 1749, followed this general path. Named after John Hickey, a merchant who operated a store at its western limits and peddled his wares along its length, the road stretched more than 100 miles from . . . — Map (db m66059) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Hurt — L-32 — Clement Hill
The house on the hill three hundred yards to the west was the home of Captain Benjamin Clement, who was one of the first makers of gunpowder in Virginia, 1775. The land grant was made in 1741. — Map (db m104437) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Sandy Level — L-54 — Smith Mountain ProjectPittsylvania County
Appalachian Power Company constructed Smith Mountain and Leesville Dams on the Roanoke River between 1960 and 1963 to generate hydroelectric energy, Between the dams, the river rose to form 3,400-acre Leesville Lake. West of Smith Mountain Dam, . . . — Map (db m104452) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Tight Squeeze — L-48 — Whitmell P. Tunstall
One mile east stands Belle Grove, the home of Whitmell Pugh Tunstall (1810-1854). Educated at Danville Academy and the University of North Carolina, Tunstall was admitted to the bar in 1832. He served in the House of Delegates (1836-1841; 1845-1848) . . . — Map (db m55730) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Whitmell — U-38 — Whitmell School
Founded in 1878 as a two- room school and named for state senator Whitmell P. Tunstall, in 1918 the Whitmell Farm-Life School became the first rural consolidated school in Pittsylvania County. Sarah Archie Swanson Beverley, who between 1916 and . . . — Map (db m104455) HM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement