Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Prince George County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Brandon Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, June 24, 2014
Brandon Marker
Virginia (Prince George County), Burrowsville — K-218 — Brandon
This place, five miles northeast, has been owned by the Harrison family for two centuries. John Martin patented the land in 1617; Nathaniel Harrison bought it in 1720. The present house was built about 1770. The British General Phillips landed at . . . — Map (db m74771) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Burrowsville — K-215 — Hood's
Four miles north on James River. There, on January 3, 1781, Benedict Arnold, ascending the river, was fired on by cannon. On January 10, Arnold, returning, sent ashore there a force that was ambushed by George Rogers Clark. Fort Powhatan stood there . . . — Map (db m11654) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Carson — Z-236 — Prince George County / Sussex County
(Obverse) Prince George County Area 294 Square Miles Formed in 1702 from Charles City, and named for Prince George of Denmark, husband of Queen Anne. The battles of the crater, 1864, and Fort Steadman, 1865, took place in this . . . — Map (db m18920) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Carson — UM-20 — Reams Station
Three miles north. There, the Union cavalryman, Kautz, in Wilson's raid, destroyed the station, June 22, 1864. Returning from Burkeville, Kautz reached there again June 29, and was joined by Wilson. Attacked by Hampton, Wilson and Kautz hastily . . . — Map (db m18864) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Fort Lee — K-205 — City Point and Hopewell
City Point is five miles northeast. There Governor Sir Thomas Dale made a settlement in 1613. In April, 1781, the British General Phillips landed there. Grant had his base of operations there in the siege of Petersburg, 1864-1865. Lincoln was there . . . — Map (db m14554) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Fort Lee — In Defense of the Nation
In World War II, over 450 members of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAACs) were assigned to a secret experiment. It called for the creation of coastal gun battery, comprised of both men and women, with the mission to protect the Military . . . — Map (db m101960) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Fort Lee — Pallas Athene
Greek Goddess- wise in the arts of war and industries of peace. She led through victory to peace and prosperity. — Map (db m101961) WM
Virginia (Prince George County), Fort Lee — Woman Warrior
This warrior figure is a tribute to all Army women who have served in defense of our nation. She represents their sacrifices, dedication and loyalty. Dedicated on Veteran's Day 2013. Funded with contributions made to the Friends . . . — Map (db m101963) WM
Virginia (Prince George County), Fort Lee — K-219 — Women's Army Corps Training Center
The Women’s Army Corps (WAC) Training Center was established at nearby Camp Lee in 1948, when the corps gained Regular Army status. The first staff members transformed overgrown fields and dilapidated buildings into usable facilities. Run entirely . . . — Map (db m98806) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Garysville — K-214 — Flowerdew Hundred
Four miles north of here, Governor Sir George Yeardley established Flowerdew Hundred settlement by 1619. In 1621 a windmill was built there, the first one recorded in English North America. In response to English expansion in Powhatan lands, such an . . . — Map (db m11659) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Garysville — K-212 — Powell's Creek
The creek nearby was named for Nathaniel Powell, acting Governor in 1619. Weyanoke Indian town was here. Nearby is the site of an old mill, known in the Revolution as Bland's, and later, Cocke's Mill. The British General Phillips passed here, May . . . — Map (db m11657) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Hopewell — Evergreen
Evergreen Birthplace of Edmund Ruffin Southerner Father of Agricultural Chemistry in America 1794-1865 — Map (db m25009) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Hopewell — K-209 — Merchant's Hope Church
This well-known colonial church's architectural form and detail is typical of early and mid-18th-century Virginia churches. Located half a mile south, the building has Flemish-bond brickwork, modillion cornice, and a gracefully splayed gable roof. . . . — Map (db m30241) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Hopewell — K-323 — Richard Bland
Richard Bland (1710-1776), statesman and son of Richard and Elizabeth Randolph Bland of Jordan's Point, represented Prince George County in the House of Burgesses from 1742 to 1776. Between the 1750s and 1774, Bland played a leading role through . . . — Map (db m18748) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Hopewell — PA-252 — Samuel Jordan of Jordan's Journey
Prior to 1619, Native Americans occupied this prominent peninsula along the upper James River, now called Jordan's Point. Arriving in Jamestown by 1610, Samuel Jordan served in July 1619 in Jamestown as a burgess for Charles City in the New World's . . . — Map (db m18749) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), New Bohemia — New Bohemia, VASacred Heart Parish
Beginning in the late 1880's, this region of Prince George County along the Norfolk & Western Railway became the center of the first largest settlement of Czech and Slovak immigrants in Virginia. Originally known as Wells Station, then . . . — Map (db m91748) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Petersburg — Prelude to Petersburg1864 Overland Campaign
On May 4, 1864, the Federal Army crossed the Rapidan River twenty miles west of Fredericksburg. The next day, Confederate General Robert E. Lee's forces struck the Union army in the Wilderness, opening a month-long campaign of nearly nonstop . . . — Map (db m85867) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Petersburg — Siege of Petersburg — Grant's First OffensiveJune 1864 Initial Assaults
Union General Ulysses S. Grant wanted to capture Richmond—capital of the Confederacy. Grant knew that the key to Richmond was Petersburg which was lightly defended by Confederate forces. Failing to take Richmond by approaching from the north, . . . — Map (db m86248) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Petersburg National Battlefield — Stephen Tyng MatherJuly 4, 1867 - Jan. 22, 1930
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service, defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — Map (db m75529) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Prince George — K-206 — Bailey's Creek
Bailey's Creek is named for Temperance Bailey (ca. 1617-ca. 1652), the daughter of Cicely Bailey and her first husband, whose name is unknown. When he died before Sept. 1620, Temperance inherited 200 acres of land near here at the age of three. Her . . . — Map (db m17731) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Prince George — Confederate Soldiers of Prince George Co.
. . . — Map (db m23562) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Prince George — K-207 — History at Prince George Courthouse
Lord Cornwallis, going toward the James in pursuit of Lafayette, passed here, May 24, 1781. A part of Grant's army passed here on the way to Petersburg, June, 1864. The place was occupied by Union troops in 1864-65. — Map (db m17732) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Prince George — K-208 — Jordan's Point
Weyanoke Indians, part of the Powhatan Chiefdom, occupied Jordan's Point, around two miles north on the James River, when English colonists arrived in 1607. There, about 1620, Samuel Jordan settled; the place was called Jordan's Journey. By 1625, . . . — Map (db m17733) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Prince George — Prince George Court HouseLong, Hot March — Lee Vs. Grant - The 1864 Campaign
After crossing the James River, Gen. Gouverneur Warren’s Fifth Corps and Gen. Ambrose Burnside’s Ninth Corps were ordered to move toward Petersburg. One of two primary routes of advance, Prince George Court House Road (Road 106) was used by more . . . — Map (db m3897) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Prince George — Prince George Court House”Destroy both those roads” — Wilson – Kautz Raid
In June 1864, Gen. U.S. Grant began to confine Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia within the Richmond and Petersburg defenses. The South Side R.R., connecting Petersburg and Lynchburg, and the Richmond and Danville R.R. supplied Lee’s . . . — Map (db m14771) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Prince George — The Beefsteak RaidWade Hampton’s Cattle Raid
As the summer of 1864 ended with Union Gen. U.S. Grant’s army still laying siege to Petersburg, Southern sources learned of a large herd of cattle being held at nearby Coggin’s Point on the James River. The cattle were grazing at . . . — Map (db m14773) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Prince George — K-211 — The Cattle Raid
Just to the north of the road here, at old Sycamore Church, Wade Hampton, coming from the south, attacked the Union cavalry guarding Grant's beef cattle, September 16, 1864. The Unionists were overpowered; Hampton, rounding up 2,500 beeves, . . . — Map (db m17734) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Spring Grove — K-216 — Ward's Creek
Named for John Ward, who patented land here in 1619. The plantation was represented in the first General Assembly, 1619. — Map (db m35938) HM

28 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement